“Honeymoon at Secrets Maroma”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Honeymoon at Secrets Maroma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We've just got back home from Secrets Maroma Beach on our honeymoon and it was excellent! We were very impressed with the hotel. The food, drinks, room and beach were all brilliant and the staff provided a very high quality of service. We had a fantastic two weeks there and highly recommend it for other couples. It was a great honeymoon.

Big thanks to the staff who were amazing. Particularly Ivan in the entertainment team and the rest of the guys and girls who made the pool and beach activities hilarious and more enjoyable! Enrique also provided excellent service at the molecular gastronomy night and El Patio.

Our tips if you're going there: 1. Do the premium tequila tasting through the hotel (run once a week) 2. Go to the molecular gastronomy night at the world cafe. This was a 7 course tasting menu which was one of our best meals there, but it's not heavily advertised so barely anyone else went. 3. Go to Playa del Carmen or go online to book your excursions, you can get them much cheaper than the tour operators available at the hotel. We did snorkeling with whale sharks, scuba diving in Cozumel, snorkeling tour of Akumel (turtles, rays, barracuda, squid, corals) which were all really good.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Andymoo88
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful words and helpful tips to other travelers! Please come back soon.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,380)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Secrets Maroma for 12 nights our honeymoon in June. I chose this hotel as it advertised everything we were looking for - child free, top shelf cocktails and luxury - and boy did it deliver.

The hotel itself is beautifully designed and laid out. The rooms are large and well equipped. There is a great range of restaurants, bars, coffee shop, a theatre and a club. And the staff are fantastic!

We only had one main gripe about the place - the air conditioning. Now I am well aware we visited Mexico in June and were expecting high temperatures (around 30-32 daily). Our problem came at night when the only two places which were properly air conditioned were our room and the Privilege Club bar. It wasn't fun sweating whilst you were trying to eat/drink! We had to walk out of the theatre a couple of times due to the heat! The main lobby was the worst though. Such a beautiful area with a great bar but it was just stifling!! I even went to ask a lady on reception why it was so hot to be told that it doesn't feel hot to her?!? This got my back up instantly and she went off to speak to her manager. They did come over afterwards to say the temperature had been turned down but it didn't make any difference!

The Privilege Club bar was an absolute godsend to our holiday! Always quiet, always CHILLED, serving canapés and the best cocktails we've ever had! They even put the football on for us when all the other bars were packed out. If I had one tip to anyone booking this hotel, pay the extra and get the privilege package just for this bar!

All in all we had a fantastic honeymoon and were entitled to some great free stuff just by taking our certificate with us (definitely recommend doing that!)

I've read a few people moaning about the up selling from the Unlimited vacation club... Well my advice is as soon as you sit down to check in, tell the receptionist that you are not interested in the club thank you very much. We did this and were taken straight to our room after checkin, others we noticed were ushered to the sales person!

• Stayed June 2014
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and we will definitely take action on your comments.

alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

This medium sized hotel was perfect for our honeymoon. Intimate and romantic, staying in the preferred club, we were treated like royalty. Perhaps because I have never had such an upgrade, we were taken aback with the doting from the staff and the incredible room. The room and bathroom were incredibly clean and beautiful, stocked with all kinds of things I don't often see, like sunscreen. The hottub on the balcony was a great addition to our honeymoon atmosphere, although a little more privacy would have been nice. ;) The staff knew us by name from the minute we arrived and we were amazed that they were aware of my allergies at each restaurant, and took them very seriously. It was nice to be served real drinks in glasses (albeit the plastic kind), as opposed to the small plastic cups you get elsewhere. The food was great and the swings at the beach bar were fun. We liked not having to wear the all-inclusive bracelet all week and we appreciated the wicker pool chairs as opposed to the usual plastic ones - way more comfortable. We have always stayed at family resorts in the past but this adults-only hotel was a nice change. Wish we could afford to go back every year! Thanks Secrets!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank iloveholidays74
Dear guest,

Thank you for celebrating your Honeymoon with us and for the five star rating review!

brooklyn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We just returned from a 6 night trip to Secrets Maroma and it sort of pains to write this review. I am in my late 30s and my husband is in his early 40s, we are from NYC, enjoy beautiful hotels and resorts and were in desperate need of a vacation. We had stayed at the Rosewood Mayakoba for 8 nights and 5 nights at Las Ventanas al Paraiso in March 2013 for our honeymoon and we decided to return to Riviera Maya due to the heavenly experience we had at Rosewood Mayakoba. This time, we planned to do an all inclusive so that we would have to think about nothing. Just eat, drink, lounge, go from beach to pool and vice versa and just relax. Based on extensive research and all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, we thought Secrets Maroma would fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, we were wrong.

Firstly, the pros:

The staff. The highlight of this resort is its incredibly hard working and congenial staff. With few exceptions, every staff member at the hotel bends over backwards to ensure you have a drink in your hand and are wanting for nothing. This was particularly true at the beach and pool- Francisco, Jose and Arturo stick out in my mind but there were others. Although it's an all inclusive, we felt it more than appropriate to tip, but they certainly earned it. The lasting impression here is the staff wants you to have a great experience and will do what it can to make that possible.

Beach cabanas. Our second day there we rented a beach cabana at $50 which was lovely. The already attentive service was brought to new heights since the cabanas seem to have their own wait staff and it was nice to be out of the sun and enjoy the ocean breezes. I believe the beach cabanas also have a better lunch menu than was offered at the pool because when we asked for a menu at the pool, it was different than the one we had at the beach cabana. We really enjoyed the beach cabana despite the fact that we didn't swim in the ocean due to seaweed.

The spa. Since we booked a preferred club room, we had access to the hydrotherapy circuit at the spa. I normally don't care for that sort of thing at spas, but this was lovely and really prepared us for our couples massage. The massage itself was great- we both were super relaxed and agreed it was a highlight of our stay. The locker rooms and facilities were excellent. Sometimes the spas are afterthoughts at hotels, but it is clear Secrets paid attention to their spa facilities.

The drinks. Free flowing and delicious. Truthfully I thought all the frozen drinks were too sweet, but we started asking for margaritas with Don Julio on the rocks- plain for my husband and coconut for me, and we these were great. Our last couple of days we also had mudslides- asked them to make them not too sweet with extra alcohol and these were great too. If you want top shelf liquor, you must request it.

The room. Nicely appointed, good size, great view. We were on the 4th floor in building 25 so we had a decent view of the ocean (though far back) but in hindsight, we should have gotten a swim up room. It would have been nice to leave the main pool early and enjoy some time in the swim up on our own, relaxing on the terrace (even though the swim ups are shared with other rooms). I had read reviews that most swim ups were in the shade but that didn't seem to be the case.

Daybeds by the Pool. Great spot to enjoy the pool and read/lounge with your significant other. I thought these were actually cooler than the lounge chairs since the cover encouraged breezes to come through while mostly keeping the sun out and we enjoyed our time on these by the pool.

No towel game. We never had any issue finding a seat when wanted, where we wanted within reason. No one was up at the butt crack of dawn saving seats but don't expect to get the best seat by the pool at 1pm. One day we were looking around and there were only 2 seats left in the area we wanted and though there were towels there, there were no personal items there, and the neighbors said no one had been there for hours so we just moved them. No problem. We also never had an issue getting a daybed by the pool when we strolled over after breakfast. Also, people tended to move from pool to beach, from chair to daybed, and vice versa so chairs/beds tended to open up throughout the day. There was no one tasked with getting you a chair when you came to the pool or beach though (at least not that we saw) but if we asked for assistance, there were happy to provide it.

The cons:

THE FOOD. Our best meal daily seemed to be the breakfast buffet at the World Cafe. We are not big buffet folks but they offered pretty much anything you wanted from fruit, to omelets, to crepes, french toast, pancakes, smoked salmon, etc. A couple of mornings, we requested mimosas and they never came. One morning we requested them twice and nothing. Not a huge deal since we would generally go straight to the pool after breakfast and order drinks a little while later, but it still seemed odd that our request was ignored. Also it was insanely hot whether you ate indoors or out. Breakfast was also offered at Oceana by the pool if you got the preferred club, but we only did this one day. It was way too hot in there and even though we liked the pool view, it was just easier to do the buffet.

The lunches were horrible. I hate saying that about food, but the pool menu was inadequate if you just wanted food brought to your chair. One day I ordered the fish tacos and they looked like frozen fishsticks in soft taco shells. My husband ordered the mexican hot dog and it looked like it was old/overcooked (like in one of those 7-11 24/7 hot dog warmers). By day 3 we had tried most of the lunch food (whether at the Barefoot Grill, the pool side service or the Sea Grill). The Barefoot Grill has hamburgers, chicken, buffalo chicken and nachos. We tried all of these except the chicken and all were bland and tasteless. The hamburgers must be frozen and then cooked beyond recognition because they were just awful. The buffalo chicken did not resemble buffalo chicken. Just chicken wings in a bland orange sauce that was not spicy or flavorful. The nachos were just sad with a runny cheese sauce that had no flavor whatsoever. That seemed to be the running theme- bland and unflavorful and just sad. We are not picky eaters, but this was just terrible. The Sea Grill had lots of offerings (we ate there on 2 days) but we were not in the mood to leave the pool and sit for lunch and nothing was particularly great anyway. We just wanted something to nibble on by the pool. By the third day, nothing seemed particularly appetizing for lunch. Granted, we never tried the World Cafe for lunch, but it was away from the pool, closer to the main lobby and just too much of a production. We just wanted to lounge by the pool and have food with our drinks.

Room Service. We enjoy getting room service. Some nights you just don't want to get dressed up for dinner or you might want to catch a show and there is a time conflict. Our first night there we were kind of tired and decided to try out room service. Big mistake. The food was delivered in the secrets box, but if I hadn't heard the waiter clanging and banging the food into the box, we never would have known it was delivered. I ordered a club sandwich which was acceptable, my husband ordered a burger (horribly overcooked, like well well well done, dense, looked like it was cooked hours ago and heated up, just awful) and we shared a plate of nachos (no flavor whatsoever). We decided never to order room service again during our stay.

A la Carte restaurants. Food at the french was not very good (nothing french about it but also pretty flavorless). My husband did enjoy the lambchops though and this restaurant had the best desserts. The italian was ok. We were actually seated at a lovely table where we sat next, not across from each other. I liked the papardelle but the beef in it was incredibly tough, not braised as advertised on the menu. The mussels and lasagna my husband got were kind of bland. We actually loved the four cheese pizza we shared and I think that was our favorite item on any menu. We also tried Himitsu. The cooked apps we tried were decent, the sushi sad. Watered down soy sauce and tiny, flavorless rolls. We never tried the Mexican based on our experience at the pool. The service was pretty good at the restaurants but what good is the service if followed by lackluster bland food? I felt bad for the staff trying so hard only to have to serve this food. Our best meal was probably our last night where we ate at Oceana by the pool. We decided to buy a bottle of wine and had a special table which was very romantic. The food was so so but the setting was lovely. If we had any of these meals at any restaurant back home, I don't think we'd ever go back.

Inadequate air conditioning. Other than our room, anywhere you went in this hotel it was hot. Whether the bars (even the lobby bar and the preferred lounge), restaurants, the show theater. Granted it was August in Mexico but I think we were sweating through most of our meals. We were laughing that I was constantly hot because I am the person who is always freezing from too much a/c. Our coolest meal was at Portofino (maybe that's why we enjoyed that meal best). Also our last night eating at Oceana by the pool, there were heavy breezes, otherwise it would not have been bearable. I think it's crazy to require men to wear long pants and closed shoes and not run air conditioning. We saw people eating outdoors and wondered how on earth they could stand it. I would rather starve. One night, after sweating through our meal at Bordeaux, we decided to go to the Rock Show. We are not that into shows on vaca, but it was actually fun, however there was sweat pouring down our faces which kind of killed any enjoyment. While waiting at the lobby bar for our table for dinner one night, one man was sweating through his shirt. Gross and unnecessary.

Other impressions-

The property's entrance is not particularly impressive as you drive up. While they have a beautiful lobby, if you are in the preferred club, you don't experience this since you are whisked away from outside and you check in in some dank preferred club room. Not a great first impression. Not until we went to the lobby bar one night did we get to see the lovely lobby.

The infamous "coupons." We got a phone call each morning around 9:30 asking us to pick up our coupons. This was annoying since it was under some rouse like, oh we just want to know when you're leaving your room so we can send up housekeeping... by the way, come get your coupons! Each day we told them we'd pass by when we could but finally one day we had a later night than normal and were still sleeping when they called and my husband just picked up the phone and hung up. They stopped calling. Of course, that did not stop them from harassing us one day as we went to the sundries shop. On our way into the shop, there is a table set up right outside where someone asked if we had picked up our coupons and that there was savings to be had and what were we buying in the shop. How about that's none of your business. We ignored him and went about our business, but very tacky and annoying.

The pool. The pools were nice enough, nothing spectacular. We spent most of our time at the quieter infinity pool where we could still hear some of the action from the main pool but it was just quieter since it was away from the swim up bar. Also, the infinity pool was cooler. Not sure if that's because it was not heated or because there were less people. I have read reviews here complaining of "loud Americans" around the pool but quite frankly most of the clientele during our stay was British and they were plenty loud and it appeared to be common for them to congregate and smoke cigarettes while in the pool and flick the ash in the pool. Disgusting! We chose Secrets for the adults only atmosphere and we started to think children in the pool may have been preferable.

The beach. The sand was soft and cool and the water a beautiful blue. Unfortunately the sea was full of seaweed and other sea plant life during our stay. Like completely full. I realize this is an act of nature and not any fault of the hotel. On the contrary, they seemed to try to clear the seaweed that would wash up on the beach, which was substantial. I am sure that outside of hurricane season when the storms do not bring in so much foliage, the beach and water are gorgeous, unfortunately we did not get to experience this. I think other than the food quality, I was most bummed about this given I had heard so much about the gorgeous beach here. But c'est la vie. At least we had sunny days throughout and got to enjoy the pool.

The entertainment team. Pool games and activities and the shows are not really our thing but people seemed to really be enjoying them. The entertainment staff seemed to enjoy their job and were tireless. They seemed to live at the resort 24/7. So kudos to them for trying so hard. We were just in the mood for a quieter more couples oriented vacation.

This was our first time at an all inclusive and will likely be our last due to food quality, though we do want to try Grand Velas. All in all a nice enough property, but in no way a 5 star experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank giftergirl
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments, I would love to take the opportunity to speak with on the phone since there are many points of your review I would like to have the opportunity to discuss with you.

Please send me an email with your contact information so i can handle this personally.

Glen Oaks, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband, AJ and I went to secrets Maroma for our honeymoon from august 18-august 25 2014. We had the best time there.

The service was absolutely amazing everyone and anyone who worked at this hotel was willing to help with anything you needed. Everyone is always smiling and happy and will always greet you.

we stayed in the preferred club swim out room it was wonderful! Our concierge, Yanin, was wonderful and always made sure our stay was wonderful each day. such a nice lady.

there always are a couple of cons, but the fantastic outweighs the bad by a landslide. the cons for us were: the food was not great it was just okay, the atmosphere's of all the restaurants were lovely but the food could have been better.

next, Ashes and Snow. it's a movie played throughout the resort to create a sort of zen atmosphere. It wasn't my favorite by any means, it was actually kind of creepy but to each is own.

Overall our stay was nothing short of amazing, and the water is treated so no need to brush with bottled water and you can drink the water they give at te restaurants it's all bottled.

Had such a wonderful time and hope to get back there in the future!!!

Thank you Secrets Maroma for a fantastic honeymoon we will never ever forget it!

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Margaret R
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and we hope to have you back real soon.

Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

No kids = happiness.

The place is medium sized, it's not too big (I'm talking to you Hard Rock - Punta Cana) with excellent staff, amazing food, top shelf drinks (aside from the wine unless you buy and it's expensive) and a great atmosphere. There was quite a lot of seaweed while we were there in mid August 2014 but the ground crews did all that they could to ensure their pristine beach was in order.

The Service is amazing... I never had a warm beverage on the beach or by the pools. The variety of restaurants is phenomenal as well. The food is better than nice dinners here in the states. Our room was perfect (honeymoon suite) and being on the bottom floor gave us access to our own pool.

There are so many positives about this place that we're going to the newest resort in Costa Rica soon. With positives there are negatives as well, but I only have two complaints.

Room service gets overwhelmed - I'm not sure if they are understaffed or simply overworked with the morning and evening rushes. It's almost not their fault tho, the food is so good, not going out and eating in your room makes sense. It did take quite a bit of time to get drinks delivered to the room when we were hosting some friends who came with us. I mentioned this in another review I did through Secrets resort. They responded immediately and said that they apologize for the inconvenience and that it's something they'll work on. I know they take these reviews very seriously, so I'd imagine that the next time we go, it'll be much improved.

Wine - My girlfriend is a particular wine only drinker and was not impressed with house wines. We thought we could just buy some and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg but we were wrong. I paid $250 dollars for two bottles of wine that cost $35 a piece in the states. I understand they have to import it and there are costs involved with that... I imagine the people who order wine also are their most successful patrons but to be truthful, we're just honest hard working people who make a good enough living to afford to go... I personally think the prices are over inflated. The resort tries to get you to feel better about your purchases by giving you vouchers for $10 off wine, but I am not aware of a chardonnay that cost under $95 dollars.

The preferred club was nice and I was never talked to about setting up a timeshare. If this has been a problem in the past, it's not anymore. I can't remember if the topic even came up but if it did, I simply said I wasn't interested and they didn't try to talk me into it... they left me alone about it and we continued on.

All in all this resort deserves it's 5 star rating. You too will enjoy your time there. No kids = quiet normal adults having fun. It was perfect.

Average age range in resort was probably early 30's and I'm in that club, however we never made it to the disco like we used to. I imagine there were other couples that were younger than us there but never were we kept up by loud partying or obnoxious party-goers. Every patron was polite and outgoing and I can't say it enough, we had a great time!

Room Tip: All buildings have "ocean views" but a true ocean view are the upper floors or the honeymo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank nathano924
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments, we appreciate the five star rating and how useful this review will be to all our guests.

Please send us an email when you are ready to come back!

Yeovil, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Okay, you will have probably read endless reviews about Secrets Maroma Beach and got a fairly good impression that this hotel is something rather special, and boy is it special! This was our first visit to Cancun and to an 'all inclusive' resort, and having heard some torrid tales of European 'all inclusive' hotels we had our fingers crossed. We need not have worried, Secrets Maroma Beach was just perfect, and I do not use that word lightly.

Sure, the hotel is ideally placed for Honeymooning couples (and there were lots) and folks celebrating special occasions (nearly as many), but there were also other 50-somethings just like us on annual vacation. Although we have kids and have loved holidaying with them in our youth, the adults only atmosphere of this hotel just lends itself to real relaxation. Sorry kids, but come back when you are older or maybe honeymooning!

There are oodles of reviews below that will give you a good idea of the facilities, the food and the entertainment at Secrets and there seems little point in repeating what other folk have said other than to reinforce the superb service this hotel offers. I will add a few things in no particular order:

Airport Hotel Transfer - Arranged the Amstar Transfer by coach from Cancun Airport to the hotel. This worked just fine and the trip in a modern air-conditioned coach took about 45 mins, but this does depend on how many hotel drop offs the coach is doing. Maroma Beach is towards the far end of the strip so you will be one of the last drop offs. Finding the coach is easy enough, straight out the airport, turn left and there on the pavement is the meeting area. You will get accosted by the airport porters more than keen to show you the way and carry your bags for a tip.

Foreign Currency - We took Mexican Peso and this worked ok but Cancun, including the hotel works primarily on US Dollars so you could just as easily take these. If you do take Peso, take small notes, 500, 200, 100, 50, a 20 Peso note is about a £1 and useful for quick tips.

Dress Code - In the evening, the Italian, French, Mexican and Japanese restaurants insist on guys wearing long trouser a shirt with collar and sensible footwear (ie not flip flops), girls in equivalent attire. The Ocean Steak House and Seafood restaurants allow guys in shorts in the evening, again in a collared shirt.

Tipping - Seems a real mix bag. The all inclusive nature does not lend itself naturally to tipping as a matter of course, however, we did where we wanted to show our appreciation and that included the odd restaurant, bell boy, waitress, pool attendant and especially the omelette lady at breakfast.

Early Starts - Many of the excursions pickup at the lobby just after 7.00 am, which is when the main breakfast starts. Sure, you can get room service, but there were times when we arrived at 7.00 am ready to get breakfast and a quick start on the excursion to find the breakfast staff still 'fiddling and faffing' at 7.10 and not letting you get seated. What was more frustrated was some members of staff saying 'come in, come in' and others saying 'no, no, not yet!' LOL. We would just have been happy with an early starters self service buffet area of bread, bagels and cereals etc that would allow us to 'splash and dash' without needing the whole breakfast circus that started at 7:00 am. These are just minor comments on otherwise exemplary service.

Wi-Fi - Worked really well in the room and around the hotel including the pool area. We are with BT at home and their 'Smart Call' App allows you to make Wi-Fi phone calls from your mobile at your plan cost in the UK ie. If you get free evening and weekend (or anytime) calls with BT using the Smart Call App in these periods does not cost you a sausage. This is not like Skype, the Smart Call App is a BT phone call to any landline or mobile number.

Room - We had a 2nd floor Junior Suite Ocean View, which was lovely. The only comments would be a slight 'drains' smell at some times of the day. Never really sussed out what caused this. The glass door fronted loo is also a tad novel. If you want to know more check out YouTube for some reviews and you will see what we mean. We know the 'Swim Out Rooms' are more and we admit to being intrigued and might consider them next time.

Hospitality Room - On the last day we had to check out by 12:00 noon for a 3:15 pm departure from the hotel. No problems, we splashed around the pool area until 2:15 pm after which the hotel provided a Penthouse Hospitality Room for you to shower and change prior to departing, soooo useful.

Okay, not going to ramble on, the reviews on here say it all. We loved Secrets Maroma Beach and although the location is stunning, the resort facilities fantastic, it is the people who make this hotel such a superb place, too many to mention but, Umberto we salute you and my omelette Senora you made breakfast one of the highlights of my day!

Are we going back .... do bears sha la la la in the woods? You bet we are!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank rkjm
Dear guest,

What a great tittke to a great review! We thank you enormously and hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,098 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,016 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!