“Manager Told Me the Rooms never go below 75 Degrees”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Manager Told Me the Rooms never go below 75 Degrees”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

You really need to read the reviews, good and bad, about the A/C. This is the main reason I did not rate this resort a higher rating. The coolest our room got the first 3 nights was 77 degrees. This may not seem high to some but if you take into consideration the high humidity it’s pretty warm. They were responsive to my complaints and maintenance did their best but according to the Manager (Raffel) the A/C systems were designed to cool down to a maximum of 75 Degrees Fahrenheit. They did move me to another room which cooled to a whopping 76 degrees, Brrrrr cold : ). Had they said this on their website I would have gone to a different resort.
I spoke with several guests and most of them did say their room was on the warm side. Very few said their room was cool or cold. The thermostat does go down to 65, however it will never reach that temperature because of the motion sensors, door sensors and various other sensors. I know this because I watched the repair man re-program our thermostat. It’s a shame when you get a swim out room and really can’t enjoy it for fear of opening the doors and letting what little cold air there is out of your room.
One night I asked the receptionist if they could do anything with the temperature of the room. Nancy told me that they could call maintenance but it was probably as good as it was going to get, she offered a solution; go to the bar and drink more beer so that I could pass out.
It took 3 days of asking for extra pillows (concierge, room service front desk) and a talk with the manager before I received these. There is a pillow menu but I never saw this. I wasn’t particular, I just wanted extra pillows.
The rooms are very nice; the beach is one of the best I have been too. The food is good; my favorite restaurant was the Himitsu, the only place you need a reservation is this restaurant if you sit at the grill. The lunch buffet by the pool was very good as well. Don’t forget to check out the lunch on the beach. The worst service and food we received was in the World Café. The drink choices were excellent – Crown, Jack Daniels, Absolute, Bacardi, Modello, Bud Lt., Corona (in cans).
We were given 4 hydrotherapy visits at the Spa the night (6pm) before our last day for our temperature inconvenience (too little, too late) however we did not use these because we had all ready made plans for our last day. My understanding is the Spa opens at 8am and closes at 7pm.
I would recommend a swim out room. The pools are private for the most part. The landscape is somewhat bare, however it is a new resort and given time I am sure this will change. I don’t think I would invest the money for a preferred club room. I didn’t see or notice any difference in the service and the room was the same. The preferred rooms are closer to the beach and pool.
Background; I have been to Mexico every year for the past 13yrs. I am in my 40’s. I have stayed at the Riu Palace (both new and old x3), El Presidente, Occidental Grand, El Dorado Royal, Barceló, Copa Cabana, Royal Solaris, Grand Palladium, Viva Maya, and Secrets Excellence.
Bottom Line, we returned very tired from lack of sleep due to the temperature of the rooms, I would go back to this resort if they fixed the A/C and the price was right. By the way, I am a Texan and my experience with Texans if you ask nicely they will quiet down, turn off music, etc… We are southern gentlemen.

5 Thank Flounder2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,433)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I don't know if I will ever find anywhere as amazing as this resort. Everything I look at pales in comparison. When we arrived we received enthusiastic "Welcome home" greetings, cool wash cloths for our faces and glasses of champagne. We were upgraded to a swim-out suite (which I would take over the ocean view any day) and I was shocked by the beauty of our room. The service was impeccable, the beach was GORGEOUS, the food was great and knowing that the resort was all-inclusive made it even better. I would recommend this resort to anyone and in fact I did. Several of my coworkers have trips scheduled for the next few weeks.

We stayed for 6 nights. There was something fun going on every night and so many restaurants to chose from. It was impossible to get bored.

3 Thank Zombiebaby
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2009

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at Secrets Maroma Beach. It was beautiful...everything you could have asked for in a honeymoon!
The hotel was very clean. All of the bathrooms were extremely clean. Our room was spotless and was cleaned very well daily.
The service was excellent. Never a wait for the dinners. I would suggest making a reservation at the Japenese place to sit at the grill. Some of the dinners seemed a bit long, but we didn't mind since we didn't do much in the evenings.
All of the staff is super pleasant and very kind. They go out of their way for you. Jesus at the Oceana was excellent. Super service and very nice.
The pool looked awesome. We didn't use it at all. We love the ocean and the beach was beautiful. The water was perfect. Clear and not too rough. Also very nice temperature. We never had difficulty getting a chair at the beach. Even the ones that had the shade. The wait staff on the beach was great too.
I def would recommend this hotel!

8 Thank amy_kenG
Naperville IL
Reviewed 29 July 2009

My husband and I were at SMB for 10 days July 13th through 22nd. I want to start by saying that I'm a pretty particular person. I will not stay just anywhere and wouldn't be too far off if I called myelf a little high maintenance when it comes to traveling. With that being said, I'd just like to paint a picture while I tell you how much we LOVED SMB and everything exceeded our expectations.

I read trip advisor like crazy for the months leading up to our honeymoon. I read the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm aware of what people like and dislike. I do have to say, after being there for 10 whole days, I'm not sure what is wrong with the negative commenters. Possibly you people are NEVER satisfied? Not sure what the deal is but when you say there are dead palm trees, no decoration, bad service, same boring meals on the menu, not enough shade on property, pools not maintained etc. I could contradict each and every one of those things with a postiive of what we found during our stay. I could actually say that not one of those are true. I won't go in to much detail about the negatives listed but I must say DO NOT listen to these negative comments. The resort is absolutely gorgeous and I'm quite sure you will have a wonderful time! Unless, of course, you are one of those people who are never satisfied.

We stayed in building 26 on the 4th floor. We were in the preferred club. Our view was fantastic and we loved our room. The food is phenominal. I love sushi so Himitsu was my favorite. Our least favorite was probably Bordeaux but it might have just been what I ordered. The drinks are great and they do not hesitate to poor a very strong drink! The entertainment at night was good. The beach is the most beautiful I have ever seen. Overall, we could not have been more satisfied. We loved Rosy our conceirge and Roberto the pool conceirge. They were sooo sweet and would do anything for you. All you ever hear is "it's a pleasure". These people bust their butts for everyone to make sure their stay is fabulous.

The ONLY complaint we had was that it never seemed cool enough in our room. It would cool off from time to time but with the automatic sensors the air would shut off during the day and only kick back on when we opened the door. And then it would take forever to cool off! We had maintenance come in and change it so the air would never kick off but then a couple days later it went back to the original working order. I do agree it never felt cool in the main building and at some of the restaurants. We were told that they are working on getting all new systems very soon. Apparently, when they built this resort 8/08 the air conditioning systems they chose apparently are not the best and they do plan to change them. We'll see.

My husband and I will most definitely go back!

12 Thank AmyNPaul
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We were married on 4/25/09 at Dreams Resort in Cancun, stayed for 1 week, and then honemooned at Secrests Maroma for 6 days. Secrets was awesome!!! One caveat I want to throw in is to remember we were there for the swine flu so the hotel was very empty, also all the big attractions were shut down, so we never left the resort.

Positives:
*Adults only so no kids running around
*Rooms are beautiful (no real privacy in bathroom as it opens up to your bedroom and some people may not like that)
*The grounds are immaculate and you feel very safe at all times, even late a night
*Food is delicious and there was never a wait at any of the restaurants, they also bring around various food on carts throughout the day and serve you by the pool (tacos, fruit, shrimp, sushi, popsicles, etc).
*The pool is great and you have these little coves that jut out into the pool so if you lay/sit on the lounges on these little coves, no one can sit right next to you which is nice
*The beach is huge, clean and beautiful with plenty of chairs and you can walk along the beach for a long time if you choose in either direction (see below about the water)
*Staff is amazing - very nice, accommodating, funny, and they really try to get you involved
*They kept trying to upgrade our room after a day or 2, however we didn't want to re-pack everything and move to another building and we loved our room and how private it was
*We had the honeymoon sash on our door, a fruit basket, and champagne in our living room area upon arrival
*Room Service Food is the best I have ever had
*Room Service for drinks (beers, frozen, etc) took about 15-20 mins and they have this little door that room service can put the drinks (and/or food) in and ring the bell, if you don't want to be bothered
*Free Internet

Not so Great Stuff (but nothing bad):
*Expensive
*Secluded - cannot walk anywhere
*Ocean/Waves were very rough and could not get into water b/c there was a red flag posted everyday for the rough conditions (at Dreams, you are in like a cove and the there are barely any waves even during red flag days). I love the ocean and was very disappointed that I couldn't get into to swim, every time I tried the wave knocked me down (but I know Secrets cannot help Mother Nature :)
*The rafts are awesome by the pool, however people take them hostage all day and sometimes hard to get one
*Very little to no nightlife at the hotel, after the nightly show is over, people pretty much turn in and it's really quiet
*There is a disco on site that is very nice and elegant, however they played really cheesy music very loud and had karaoke a lot so we never really hung out there
*The hot tub on your balcony is very nice, but it's really just like a bath tub. The water gets warm, but not jets or bubbles, so it's just like a warm tub

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank stacymclark
Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My new husband and I traveled to Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon. Like many others, I researched such an important trip exhaustively. This particular resort was recommended by our travel agent and I would love to give her a big hug. The place was awesome.
I have never been to an all-inclusive resort so I didn't know what to expect other then what I read from trip advisor reviews. I found amazing food and drink around every corner, received from servers with a smile. I have never seen people work harder. From the concierge to the maids, everyone did their job well. It was so different form what I have experienced in America. No one ever acted "put out" even though it was very hot and they were very busy.
The grounds were beautiful and just the right size in my opinion. Everything was easily accessible, although I was under the impression there was a prefered lounge in all the prefered buildings. There is only one lounge and it is next to building 25 which is across the resort from where we stayed. It was a nice little walk to check email in the coolest AC on the property. The beach was wonderful and you should definitely take advantage of the free hobie cats and kayaks.
The two things I worried about from other reviews were the bathrooms and the AC. First, the AC never really got cold. It was comfortable compared to outside but never chilly if you like it that way. We got it to stay at 73 or so by running the ceiling fan and keeping the patio doors closed when the sun was shining directly on them. Second, the bathroom isn't really separate, but it feels that way. The toilet and shower are in their own "stalls" with heavy frosted glass doors. The doors have a large whole in them instead of a handle and simply swing in and out instead of latching. If you are shy about what Mexican food might do to you, try putting the tv on. The acoustics of the tile floor in the room help to drown everything out. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated and never put a damper on the romance.
I have also never been to Mexico and I would certainly go back. The people are kind, gracious and hardworking. We had lots of family and friends who were wary of our destination, but I always felt safe at Secrets. Even when we left the resort for excursions, we felt very secure, because the tour companies take care of everything. I will note however, that any excursion to Cancun includes a 90 minute van ride each way because Secrets is the first pick up and last drop off. There can also be lots of people on the trip and a long ride in a full van can be taxing if you aren't prepared for it. I felt it was worth it in the end, but might have liked to know ahead of time. We also took a cab into Playa to shop at 5th avenue (15 minute ride) and the cab driver gave us a cell phone to call him when we were ready to return to the hotel. Now that's service.
On our excursions. we heard many people talking about their hotels. Secrets seemed to stand out. There are no wristbands, towel cards or restaurant reservations (in fact, someone had to explain what these were). We never waited in line to be seated and always had a spot on the beach. Pool spots were harder to come by, so get out there early if you are a pool person. You are treated with the utmost respect and freedom. Frankly, they love Americans and it shows. Everyone spoke English and it was easy to communicate.
Do not hesitate to book a stay at Secrets. It is safe, friendly and romantic. There is plenty to do (and I get bored easily) and plenty to eat/drink. I highly recommend it and I can't wait to go back.
My one piece of advice pertains to Apple Vacation travelers. There is always a line to see the representative. Make sure you take care of as much as you can during a single visit. They will ask you to come at certain times which is when the line is going to be the longest. It is ok if you go at another time. There seemed to be no AC in that hall and standing in line can get uncomfortable fast.

3 Thank pennsygirl888
Pittsburgh Pa.
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed at the Maroma Beach location from 7/19 though 7/26. The resort is just as advertised. The room was magnificent, the pool was beautiful and the beach was stunning. I expected based on past reviews that the staff would be very helpful and courteous. I found that the staff seemed eager to please us. You will want for nothing at this resort. While at the pool the staff is continously offering drinnk, ice cream, food or anything else you could disire. The food was good and a great varierty was offered at the several restaurants. A nice option is the pool side buffet served daily. This food is also available on the beach. I felt like a celebrity at this resort. The small complaint was on initial check in. Our room wasn't available until 3:30 and we were initialy taken to the wrong room. This was iratating because we were hot and tired after long flights. Once the problem was corrected the room was fine minus the few pieces of broken concrete in our swimout pool in room 2410. This seemed to be isolated to our room. There were also several mosquitoes that got into the room. The staff as in most hotels leaves the door opened when cleaning for security reasons. This is how I believe the mosquitoes got in. They feasted on my wife during the night. Otherwise the stay was awesome from the fresh chocolate chip cookies served 24 hours a day in the lobby to the top shelf liquor offered at all the bars. If you are a wine drinker you will be restricted to the house red and white unless your willing to pay extra for higher end wine. The complimentary champange offered is Brut Dubois. Having free room service 24 hours a day is a great benefit especially if you eat an early dinner. We offered small tips during the day even though its not required. The wait staff never expected them and I am confident we would still have very good service if we hadn't based on my observations on couples who didn't tip. We spent a few hours in Play Del Carmen shopping before we realized that we had no desire to leave the resort again. Stop thinking about it, just book it. You will have a great time.

Chuck and Debbie

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#38 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,172 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,132 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!