“Our Honeymoon !”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My new husband and I went June 21-28th for our honeymoon. After extensive research I picked this hotel from all the reviews. The hotel is really nice. The service was above and beyond amazing considering gratuity is included, the staff literally waits on you hand and foot to make sure you are happy and get you anything you ask for and want. If you go to the pool ask for Alejandro.. he was our man the whole trip. He is the best pool waiter you could ask for and we tipped him everyday because honestly he deserved it. Tipping a few dollars here and there really goes along way with the staff although they would still treat you amazing, this just makes them so happy and they really go above and beyond to treat you like royalty. DEFINITELY take mosquito repellant and bug spray. We got bitten all over that was the only downfall ! The mosquitos are tiny so you cant see them and they bite you all over.. whether your in your room or in the lobby bar you will get bit ! The spa was AMAZING !! Its a must !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure to take sunscreen and anything you need because its super expensive to buy in the gift shop. 90 Percent of the hotel guests were honeymooners like we were so that was cool. The secret box for room service was the best invention ever ! I would absolutely recommend this hotel !

1  Thank talabala13
Write a ReviewReviews (12,610)

Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband & I wanted to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary and indulging in some much needed R & R. Our travel agent actually recommended Secrets Maroma and I was skeptical at first. We were sooo BEYOND, pleasantly surprised! It was a short, direct flight from Charlotte, NC. The transfers went smoothly and were included in our package. The main lobby is really breathtaking and they welcomed us with cool towels and a flute of champagne! The beaches were gorgeous and the rooms were identical to the website photos. The staff were all so wonderful; I don't think the word "no" is in their vocabulary. We traveled during easter/spring break week but never had to listen to crying children (why we left ours with grandma) OR loud, wild spring-breakers. This was NOT a 'cookie cutter' resort. There is a full schedule of events made available but we skipped most of them in favor of laying on the beach or by the pool. Really, its the best of both worlds...you can be as active or relaxed as you'd like. The food was VERY good. I've eaten in NYC and all over Europe and Secrets was on par with my experiences there. None of the restaurants are 'formal.' Most are considered casual. The breakfast buffet at the world cafe is like nothing I've ever seen. We'd eat brunch around 9 or 10, have a cocktail and shrimp cocktail by the pool around 2 or 3 and dinner at 8ish. I think we made reservations twice the whole time we were there. Our package included a $200 spa credit so we had a couples' massage and it was sublime. We toasted our travel agent more than once and agreed the trip was better than our honeymoon. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cal0899
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I would've been in heaven...and I nearly was. I was there for a small wedding...everything was gorgeous....the rehearsal, wedding and reception...the room...the beach...the turquoise ocean...the service...the SPA (amazing). It was blissful. I guess my only complaint is one that the resort couldn't possibly help...it was extremely romantic...couples everywhere. They were getting married...or on their honeymoon. For a single woman...it would be kind of disheartening to stay there alone! Still though...I might just have a romance with the ocean itself....this is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Sigh...love at first sight.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank lumibug
Reviewed 28 June 2010

This is a fantastic resort. All the reviews you read about the outstanding service are true. Food is good, not outstanding, but good. And yes, the ice cream is some of the best you'll have (vanilla particularly!) Rooms are more than big enough with loveseat on the balcony. A highlight of the resort is the food selection and service at lunch time by the pool. You never have to leave your lounge if you don't want to: food carts being pushed around by the staff include sushi, beef and shrimp skewers, onion rings, pork tacos and ice cream. Fantastic. But the best thing, though, by far, is this resort's beach. My husband and I have been to many places, i.e., Paradise Island, Punta Cana, several other resorts in Mexico, and this beach blew them away. Not even so much as a broken seashell when you walk, and with water so clear you won't believe it until you actually see it. Take a walk down the beach about 2 miles and you can check out the Iberostar Grand, another highly-ranked resort on Maroma Beach. Maroma Hotel is directly next door, and it is stunning to see.
Lots to do during the day if you wanted to - activities scheduled every hour. Yoga every morning poolside. Beach bungee trampoline is not to be missed (if you're a chick!) The spa is beautiful. Go an hour before your scheduled appointment to use all the water facilities. Our complaints with this resort: (1) the gym was extremely small and not very well-equipped; (2) when requesting a certain type of liquor, a couple times the bartenders tried to pass off a lower-shelf version instead of what we asked for.

1  Thank travelgirlsun13
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We could not have picked a better place to have our Honeymoon. The staff was AMAZING, it was so so clean, very nice and elegant. The beach was the whitest, cleanest sand I have ever seen. The food was delish. Anything you needed, they had it. I would recommend a visit to the spa (it was like one of those you see on TV). They had activities everyday and night, we were never bored, however we were the most relaxed we have ever been. If we could have fit that mattress in our suitcase, we would have. The best sleep of our life! This is hands down one of the best!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hnsmoorefield
Reviewed 26 June 2010

My wife and I decided to stay at Secrets Maroma for our one year anniversary and that was a great decision.

The Service/Staff: From the second we walked into the resort, we felt very welcomed. The staff, every single part of it, was just tremendous. Check in was flawless. Concierge was great. Cleaning service was tremendous. Activity team was great. Waiters/Waitresses/Bartenders were friendly, timely and courteous.

The Resort: The cleanliness of the resort was spectacular. The grounds and landscaping were very well done.

The Beach/Water: If you haven't been to Riviera Maya yet, you need to go. The water is beautiful and the beaches are second to none.

The Pool: The pool was perfect size and we didn't really have any trouble finding chairs. And don't bother trying to put up the umbrella...the second you sit down, there is someone there doing that for you.

The Food: The food was better than any resort we stayed at. Of course it is not going to be exactly what you are used to at home, but it was as close as I have had while staying in a different country.

I don't ever write reviews, but I felt the need to do it for this resort. The staff and the hotel deserve it. They made our stay very enjoyable and we are already planning our next trip back. I hope this review helps anyone that is on the fence as to where to go. You will not be dissapointed.

4  Thank 44881Mike
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We have just recently returned from a 2week stay at the Secrets Maroma, and well what can I say, it blew our expectations out of the water, The hotel was amazing and so far the best AI that either one of us has stayed in.

The hotel itself is kept immaculate as well as the surrounding gardens, The staff do an amazing Job and nothing is ever too much for them, I especially like the extra touches they do, On the first full day of arrival I asked at the breakfast buffet if they had Eggs Benedict (as i had seen it on room service) this was not a standard breakfast option, but they went and made it for me anyway!!

Rooms
We had a Tropical view which was nice and private and not looked upon.
The bed was just about the most comfortable we have slept in and will def be a miss. The bathroom was very nice but the jacuzzi bath i thought the pump wasnt very strong.

Restaurants
Great choice and you can eat at them as many times as you like within your stay, Again the staff are polite, prompt and do a wonderful service. Our particular favourite was the Mexican although they were all nice, we found the Italian to be our least favourite

Beach/Pool
Beautiful soft sands and the sea was nice, warm and clear, We didnt really hang around the pool much but there were plenty of areas and beds available, ohh and I did like the out door hot tubs.

Excursions
We only did 3 trips
Cancun nights (inc-coco-bongos) -maybe it was all the hype that was built up around this place, but we found it a bit of a disappointment and not worth the $75 we payed

chitzen itza- Definitely a must do, especially if you only plan to go to Mexico only once, It would be a shame not to put this amazing place on your list.!!! only one fault is that the buffet meal wasnt very nice and you also had to pay for your drinks.

All in All we had an amazing holiday and would considering returning and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

3  Thank stocky121
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!