“Most romantic resort”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We just came back from our vacation at El Dorado Maroma on April 15. When we first got to the resort at 11:30pm, they told us that there is an issue with hot water in some rooms therefore they are moving us to the sister resort, El Dorado Royal. We didn't like this at first but we had no choice but to accept and I'm glad that we did!

The room they gave us was at the new section of the resort called Casitas and it was a presidential room with an ocean view and private infinity pool in the balcony! We stayed there for two nights until they had a room available at Maroma and moved us back. Because of the situation, they upgraded us from the Mi Hotelito room to a honeymoon suite with an amazing ocean view! and gave us $200 resort credit to be spent for any services offered at the resort including the spa wich we used it for. So we got a pretty good deal thanks to the staff at Maroma.

El Dorado Maroma resort has only 72 room and it's very small compare to Royale and Casitas but the service is number one. Staff are the friendliest people I have ever met in any vacation. The food quality is number one but there is not much variety. Two restaurant only for breakfast and lunch and two A la carte (Italian and asian). The rooms are extremely well maintained (they cleaned our room once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once at night when they put chocolate on our pillows!)

Daniel at the spa is one with the best attitude and most smile on his face. Every morning before he starst his job, he comes in to the restaurant with a smile and says hi to everyone and then he starts his job by giving 5 minutes complementary massage at the beach. If you like the massage (We did) you can book him at the spa for a nice 50 minutes massage at the sky massage place on the beach...

The beach is one of the best in Playa Del Carmen area. There is always a bed available even when the resort is all booked up.

There is a free shuttle service from the resrot to Playa Del Carmen on Wednesday noon if you want to go to the city and shop or eat. (I highly recommend it!) Make sure you sign up for it so they would have room for you on the van.

The only minor issue I have with this resort is the mattress. It was way too hot and I was sweating all night long even with the AC on. I think it's because of the plastic covering under the sheets.

All in all, think of this resrot as a big spa. They pamper you and take care of you from the minute you step in the resort until you leave. If you want a relaxing vacation at a very quiet place, choose this resort but if you are used to nightly entertainments and lots of activities, buffet style food and big pools then this place is not for you.

1  Thank armani69
Write a ReviewReviews (4,031)

Reviewed 11 April 2011

I've stayed here twice and just love it. It's a small boutique type all-inclusive, adults only resort with amazing gourmet food! Maroma beach is amazing. The sand is like soft powder on your bare feet, the water is just perfect and there are many canopy beds to lay on if you just want to take a nap or read a good book. The rooms are like a five start hotel complete with a very comfortable bed, bath rob, slippers and whats best is room service has scented oils burning in the room. It's truly and escape. Everyday there's a different lunch theme that will make you look forward to what the next day's theme will be. For dinner, you don't have to make reservations like most resorts, just go to which ever restaurant you like that moment.
This resort is not for everyone. If you're looking for more activities with staff playing games by the pool and a big crowd, then El Dorado Royale is the place for you! BUT if you're looking for some rest and relaxation, an escape with not a lot of people all over the place look no further at El Dorado Maroma. This is a high end feel without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Munaya
Reviewed 10 April 2011

My husband and I just returned from EDM and this was our second visit. Once again the staff was incredible! Special Thanks to Lizbeth, Ariel, Ruben, Paola and Carminia - very wonderful people!
We especially enjoyed the new restaurant - Papitos, this is a great addition to the resort. We always find the lunches to be the best meals, but we also very much enjoyed the Italian restaurant and our candlelight dinner on the beach.
The reason we have returned and most likely will again are for three reason: the beach as it is just gorgeous, warm and crystal clear, the intimacy and boutique feeling of the resort - note to management: please do not change this about EDM..this is what makes it special and finally the staff..we have traveled to many resorts in Mexico and Riviera Maya..this staff is the best...friendly, happy and accomodating! My only slight complaint would be the front desk/reception...we didn't get our luggage the first night and we were not offered any essential kit, etc...only when asked.
The other critique/suggestions would be to have a beach bar closer to the water and to open Papitos for dinner. It would be nice to have outdoor or open air dining options and to have more entertainment options other than Rick's Bar..again something outdoors.
But those are suggestions to make the experience even better...as the resort is near perfect....

1  Thank wantssun
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed one week in the older, modest "Mi Hotelito" section. No glitz, just a comfortable room steps from the beach (and everything else, too). The Italian restaurant is competent. The Asian is quite good, but ask the chef to go easy on the salt -- he sometimes overdoes it. The Nouvelle Cuisine meets regional Mexican/Latino restaurant suited us best. Breakfasts are fine (but why no pan dulce?) Lunch was also excellent (on fish market day try the grouper, called mero in Spanish). In over 50 years of travel and extended stays in Mexico this is the first time I have gone an entire week without seeing even a dollop of guacamole. Exceptionally friendly and attentive personnel. The beach area is spacious, with plenty of chaises, umbrellas, etc. Very shallow water out from shoreline to the row of fiberglass structures installed for sand reclamation (post-hurricane damage to the beach). This artificial reef provides habitat -- take your snorkel. The water view is not as appealing as at sites without this reclamation structure. The bars serve premium liquors. One night we had a large party of obnoxious younger All-American Yahoos whooping and hollering in the dining room, but otherwise it was very pleasant and restful. If you want lots of action and huge buffets of hotel-grade food, try the Catalonia or Iberostars further up the coast, or any of the monster resorts in Playacar.

1  Thank KU65
Reviewed 10 April 2011

It's always interesting to read trip reviews from people who stayed the same week as you at a resort - some comments bothered me enough that even though I haven't yet unpacked, I wanted to write a review while everything is still fresh in my mind.
First let me say that my husband and I travel alot. I'm a huge fan of Europe, so travel to Mexico is much lower on my list of places to go. Having said that, we were totally stressed out and really needed to get away. I researched thoroughly all the hotels along the Mayan strip and came to one conclusion, for us, SMALL was what we needed. No boom boxes by the pool, no horrible plastic wristbands that can make the most elegant resort feel more like a spring break vacation, and no buffets. We choose El Dorado completely based on the reviews. A leap of faith??? I have no idea, but I liked what I read. Small, intimate, quiet, romantic were the common themes of most reviews.
Our flight was delayed by about three hours so the day did NOT get off to a good start.
Combined with our airport transfers which literally left us to the very last (because there was no one else going to our resort and it is a little off the beaten path) - clues here: Arranging transportation may be worthwhile rather than waiting around for your bus (I would do this next time), point two - the resort is definitely off the beaten path, it is a long narrow road through mangroves that feels more like you're heading to the jungle rather than the beach. (We didn't mind it in the slightest, but it's not a resort where you feel you'll be going to the main highway to catch a bus - you need transportation to get out of the resort). Anyway, by the time we got there I was rather fed up with the travel and just hoped that Trip Advisor reviews would not let us down.
We pulled up to the lobby - which looked like it might be the back of the hotel it was so simple, and at this point I just crossed my fingers. Our door was opened by Henry, followed by a beautiful young women holding a tray of cooled hand towels and a glass of citrus infused champagne. We were led into a simple lobby, seated and went through a short and very personal check in process (including being given a choice of aromatherapy fragrances for our nightly turndown). I was melting at this point, and not from heat, my stress level had dropped so dramatically in ten minutes I was literally blown away! From check-in Henry gave us a short tour of the property and as we were led through the the small paths with palm trees and flowers, I felt like we we stepping into a spa, not an all inclusive. I was in love, before we made it to our room. We had been upgraded to the newer building which has the infinity pools you have probably read much about. I didn't want a pool so the upgrade cost for that was never considered. Our room was in building seven (don't be mislead by the building number) this is a tiny hotel and actually it is really just one building, and more like "stair number seven", we were up two floors which we didn't mind as the upper floors have a better view (not so much the case in this part of the building as it was near to the restaurant and the roof airconditioners). Anyway, I can tell you that every photo I had seen online could not do these rooms justice. They are huge, with more furniture that the average apartment! The weird looking outdoor shower is in fact, fantastic and a wonderful alternative to showering inside with air conditioning blasting. Double sinks, private toilet, jacuzzi tub, and all those curtains you see in photos, are light and give the room a dreamy feel. I had brought things from home "just in case the hotel did not deliver" and left everything in my suitcase - great make mirror, robes, slippers, blowdryer etc. There was fresh fruit and a bottle of champagne waiting - which we eagerly opened and took outside on to our balcony - to the dreamy out door beds and toasted finding a jewel of a hotel.
We loved El Dorado Maroma, and I don't want this review to be as long as it could be if I covered everything, so I'm going to address a few comments, that quite honestly, I felt were misleading and unfair to the hotel. First this "smell" you may read about is without a question sulphur from the mangroves. If you have ever smelled sulphur you recognize it immediately - it smells like rotten eggs not sewage. There were the odd spots to the north of the property (where the mangroves are) that when the wind blew a certain way you'd get a whiff. While unpleasant for a moment, I would NEVER say it is an issue. Secondly, there are many beaches in Cancun that are so rough that you rarely can swim in them. Having almost drowned in Cancun a few years ago - those flags on the beach are my new best friends, I'm afraid of the sea, and this resort allowed me to go back into the ocean for the first time in years. Yes the water is shallow, but it is warm and it is safe. True there was something "interesting" going on with this one lone mexican man siphoning sand, but it was fun to watch everyday it it only churned up water in one area. The one day the water was really ugly was natures call, not the hotels. The beach sand is so fine it doesn't get hot, which came as a wonderful surprise. We walked forever, and felt more like we were in Tahiti than Mexico it was so serene. The marina next door to the hotel is fabulous, while we don't do watersports it was perfect for anyone who did as they didn't need to waste time being transported back and forth.
Restaurants were fantastic. We met with our concierge on the first day and she explained that the Mexican and Italian evenings which also had some entertainment, required reservations. No issue, just forward planning on the part of the hotel. If you choose not to go, you had two restaurants (Italian and Japanese) that didn't require reservations. The food was excellent and the presentation beautiful. I HATE salt, and the only salt complaint I might muster up is the rim around a Margherita, certainly not the food, which seemed to carry a subtle sense of healthly as well as excellent. Courses are on the small side, but never with the intention of you going hungry, but with the gourmet expectation that you try a few things. Go ahead and have the starter, and the soup, and the main course and desert - do it properly and you will leave the restaurant more than satisfied and you will have experienced many flavours.
The staff is amazing, they are treated with respect by Karisma and it shows in everything they do. Warm and happy is the feel around the hotel from every single staff member (and there are many). I can't forget to mention that there is not one paper towel or hand dryer in any bathroom. The bathrooms throughout the resort are gorgeous, very private, so clean and feature granite, lovely soap and hand lotion dispensers and real handtowels each with a little flower. Very pretty and very impressive.
So, did I go loco and was there anything negative??? Yes, every so slightly. The resort is very quiet at night, beautiful lit it is dreamy. But there is no central place that feels connected at night. I know its romantic - but because everyone is so relaxed it is easy to make new friends and quite nice to meet up with another couple or two for drinks. I think there should be an area that is more condusive to this, a bit more lighting and seating perhaps around the 24 Bar. Easy fix, and I do hope that Karisa considers this. They try upstairs at Rick's Bar with the shows, but I think its a little hit and miss so overall I'd say it's lacking in entertainment. However, you are so extraordinarily content at the end of the day, that it honestly doesn't matter. We loved the hotel and we will definitely return next year and the year after that! I think if you are looking for small, intimate, elegant, no matter who you are you will be impressed. There were young and older couples there, and yes, I'd say that this is essentially a couples experience, I would never go there alone or with girlfriends, it's just not that kind of a place. If you're teetering on your decision, go with your intincts based on the overall reviews of this hotel, and I don't think you'll be disappointed, and more likely to return home with a sense of wanting to defend anything negative about the hotel. Thank you El Dorado Maroma, and to all the staff who made our stay so memorable - the hotel is not just the treasure, it is the people who run it! Debra and Noel

6  Thank DebraCurran
Reviewed 8 April 2011

We have been a lot of places in Mexico and around the world. This is the best of all. We had issues with the smoking policy as I have COPD and asthma. I told the management of my concerns and they were accomodated immediately. Great place. Great staff. Just the best!

Reviewed 8 April 2011

For a little perspective my wife and I have been traveling to Mexico 2 times or so a year for the past 15 years. We have tried many resorts over the years on both the Pacific side and the Caribbean side. This trip was divided between El Dorado Maroma and The Grand Velas (Grand Class section of the resort). To be fair to El Dorado this review will not comment on Grand Velas and focus solely on our experience at El Dorado Maroma. I will also post a review and photos on Grand Velas in case you might be interested. We have all seen the scenic photos posted within Trip Advisors and rightfully so. I will post a few more of those along with some photos of what you might run into on a daily basis.

Check-In/Rooms -

Resort Grounds - They are what you would expect and see at most middle of the road and lower upper end resorts along Rivera Maya. What is meant by this is they are well kept and tropical in nature. I would not however say that they rise to the level of some of the other higher end resorts nearby. Included in that for comparison might include the Mandarin Oriental , Secrets Tulum, Mayakoba and the Grand Velas.

There is also a series of new “Presidential” suites being built with ocean views. With that comes the typical construction noise during the day we have all heard at different resorts in the past. No clue on a completion date but a guess would be at least another month before they are completed. In reality the noise is not all that bad.

Rooms – We stayed in the newer section of the hotel where the blocks of rooms run from the 300’s to the 800’s with the 300’s being closer to the ocean and moving back away from the ocean from there. We were given room 741 originally when we checked in on a Friday at around 4:15 pm or so. We were taken to our room by someone who was on their first day on the job. She was a little unfamiliar with the property and took us to the wrong room. After getting somewhat lost she asked us to wait on the walkway while she went to get some help. 5 minutes or so later she came back with someone who was more familiar with the property. The entrance to the 700 block of rooms is located fairly close to a large maintenance building that has a loud a/c unit running what seemed at all times. This noise certainly took away from the hoped sereneness. We were then escorted to room 741. The interior of the room itself was fine, nicely appointed and as advertised for a honeymoon suite. The problem arose when you walked out onto the deck area. The deck did provide a view of the ocean but it also provided an outstanding view of the roof of the Saboras restaurant. On this roof was a very loud a/c unit that again took away from a relaxing and restful feel. You will run into this issue with any 3rd or 4th floor room in the 700’s or 800’s. The lower 1st and 2nd floor suites had the noise from the roof top a/c unit masked by a water feature located on the side of the Saboras restaurant. In order to avoid the overbearing noise try to make sure you get a room in the 300’s-600’s. All up we wish we would have saved the money on the room upgrade to the honeymoon suite and stayed in the Mi-Hotelito suites. It seemed to us that those had a much cooler vibe to them.

We asked to be moved but were told everyone had already checked in and the hotel was 100% booked with not ONE open or empty room. We were then told and we could move but not until Monday (3 days later). What we found interesting is that over the next 3 days we saw numerous guests checking in and out. Logically we felt if the resort really wanted to move us they would have prior to having to wait 3 days. However that being said, we were moved on Monday to suite 522 which was nice in the sense that it provided a better view of the ocean, pool and without the incessant a/c noise. Thanks (I guess) goes to the resort management team for at least making some of our time them and the deck portion of our suite useable.

Internet – $10 for 1 hour, $15 a day or $70 for the week. Tried to buy 1hour but could not get it to work. Had to call the concierge for assistance. At first we received some pushback stating $10 for 1 hour was not one of the options available for internet purchase even though we were describing exactly what was showing up as options as you tried to purchase access. After 10 minutes or so of the concierge attempting technical support with no success, we just gave up trying to gain access. No reason a resort that advertises itself as an upscale resort should not provide free internet access.

Pools – As many others have mentioned there are 2 pools located within the resort.

Main pool – The main pool was fine and provide a cool but not overly cool retreat from the sun. There is somewhat limited lounge chair and bed seating at the main pool with the only area really open to this coming on one side of the pool. If you study the various photos of the main pool you will find this to bear itself out. We found on most of the mornings that the lounge beds were all taken/reserved with towels, books, bags etc. fairly early by folks in an effort to mark their territory.

Smaller pool (by the 24 bar) – This smaller pool was nice but a little chilly for our tastes. Plenty of shade with ample seating as far as we could tell when we walked from beach to a drink.

Pool/Beach service – Service was provided for drinks only and what would be expected in terms of speed and frequency. It should be noted that there is NO food service of any kind at the pools or beach. We have never stayed at an advertised 5 star resort that did not provide some fashion of food service at the pool/beach ranging from a full menu to a snack menu. Note to the resort management……………fix this!

Pool towels – The pool towels for the most part have seen their better days. Several were fading and frayed. Not just 1 or 2 but just about every time you grabbed some towels you would get at least 1 that was badly frayed. Additionally, there were several times during our stay that the resort seemed to run out of pool towels. I witnessed 1 instance where a couple voiced a complaint about there being no pool towels and they were given bath towels to use instead. Really unacceptable for a resort that represents itself as a truly top notch resort.

Beach - The beach was indeed very nice! Fine sugary sand and warm turquoise waters. One can wade at least 100 yards out to the large sandbags with the water not getting more than waist deep. It appears this is accomplished by an everyday dredging operation by a resort staff member trying to move sand around in swimming area located directly in front of the resort. All up one of the nicer beach areas we have been to.

Beach seating – Always ample beach chairs and umbrellas. Not so can be said with the beach beds. I am an early riser (6am) and found that most, if not all, of these beds were reserved by that time. I would suggest that if you plan on wanting to enjoy this seating option on the beach you get up early.

Maroma Marina – This “activity” area is located directly next to the hotel. Around mid morning the train of tours start to come through from other resorts to enjoy what the marina has to offer. Included, but not limited to this was snorkeling, diving, fishing, sailing, horseback riding, waverunners and small 2 person speed boats. So around mid morning you will get to enjoy the drone of engine noise for the rest of the day as the waverunners and speed boats ramble in and out of the marina and back and forth in front of the resort.

Gym – Small but with decent equipment where if you try hard enough you can get a adequate workout. Worked out most mornings and rarely ever saw another person. For any runners out there that prefer the road to the sand, it is approximately 2.5 km’s (one way) from the entrance of the resort to the lobby entrance. Good road with little traffic.

Food – Overall the food served in the restaurant was some of the best we have experienced at an AI/GI resort. None of the restaurants required reservations. Really the only downside in our minds was the room service menu for dinner. For dinner it was very limited with only 4 real options to choose from. Breakfast options were plentiful and fine.

Overall – The resort certainly had its positives and a few areas of needed improvement. We would consider returning for another stay at some point in the future but would certainly try the Mi-Hotelito suites.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank JDVP
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding your stay at our resort. I’d like you to know that your feedback and all feedback left by our guests is truly appreciated and your comments will certainly be shared with the entire team.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our Gourmet Inclusive concept and we have taken into consideration what you have mentioned. We enjoy hearing the opinions of our guests so that we can continue to make improvements and strive for perfection.

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Playa Maroma

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!