“Wonderful Vacations”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My Wife Joan and I Love Maroma. We've gone alone and with friends and have always had a great time. Visit number 4 is coming up. The MiHotelito rooms is where we like to stay. The hotel is small, but in this area you really feel like you're in an exclusive resort. Open you door in the morning and find coffee waiting for you by the bar, the ocean only a few steps away. Pool and bar right there, and the beach is a few steps away. Always happy with the food. One wish is that they would allow the delivery of food to the beach. Some guac, chips and a drink on the beach would be nice, other hotels in the area serve on the beach. We go here to relax, and that is what you do. Quiet resort, but can find things to do. Carmina has been our Concierge and has taken very good care of us over the years. All the staff smiles all day, even the men who sweep the beach all day. The beach view is great. The mounds of sand are called WHALES and they keep the sand on the beaches. Not ugly and if you snorkel, fish hang out by them. If you SCUBA like our friend does, just walk up the beach 2 minutes and you can go Scuba. Other hotels have to bring you in a van here. Other activities there too, fishing, horses, etc. Have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: We like the older Mi Hotelito area. Lot's of stairs in newer area if you want a clear view. Pres...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank spiv13
Write a ReviewReviews (4,031)

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed here in November from Thursday - Sunday and had a great, relaxing time. The staff was so wonderful, they really treated everybody special. The purpose of our trip was to get away from home and just relax and this place was perfect for that. We kept wondering where all the people were, it was never crowded and there was always a chair available at the beach or pool. And the beds were overly abundant too. I can't really think of anything I would change, except maybe to stay one day longer. We were also nervouse about the food, since it was all inclusive; we thought it might not be that good. It was delicious. The drinks weren't weak either.

Room Tip: We were in the honeymoon suite and our view was gorgeous; however I would have liked to had been clo...
1  Thank shirley p
Reviewed 30 November 2011

First off, let me begin by saying that this is my frist time to write a review. I have stayed at the El Dorado Maromo 5 times now. Each and every time out does the previous stay. The hotel is one reason why I stay there so often, but the staff is the main reason. I usually stay in a swim up jacquzzi suite, which are absolutely amazing, but I know for a fact that all of the room catagories are really nice. I was there in October for 7 nights for a wedding and again in November for a few nights. Upon my return in November, all of the staff hugged us and welcomed us back. Its little touches like that, that make your stay that much more memorable. The food was great, starting with breakfast and lunch at Papitos, where for breakfast, you could have just about anything you wanted. During lunch, everyday has a theme to it. Burgar Bar, Tacos, Skewars, etc... and for dinner you have Italian, Japanese, and Mexican or latin.

The staff goes above and beyond to make thier guests feel at home. One Morning, the general manage Jose Portocarrero stopped by every guests table at breakfast to see if they were enjoying their stay and if they needed anything. I have been to many resorts and haven't seen management take the time to do this. Rene, the swim up bartender was great making new drinks for us everyday. Jonas, Gabby, and Angel, made our dinners everynight even more enjoyable with their wonderful personalities. You can always tell when people love their jobs and they sure do.

The beach is one of my favorite in the area. You can rent wave runners or go snorkeling for a small fee, or you can sit on the beach and do absolutely nothing.

I can't wait to go back and see all of my new friends. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are my favorite, but all the rooms are really nice. The resort is small so no mat...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the resort (11/17 to 11/24) for our Honeymoon. It was WAY more than we could have ever asked for! We stayed in Room 801. It is a swim up suite, which is the way to go! The room was wonderful! We were a little further back from the pool, which we really liked, for privacy.

I loved that the resort is more private and adults only. There was never a problem getting service or a place to sit at the beach, by the pool or at dinner. And the weather was beautiful! We made so many friends throughout the week and will be keeping in touch will all of them!

There were so many things that made our Honeymoon at Maroma memorable (amazing rooms, beautiful beach, wonderful food, etc) But the staff at the El Dorado tops the list!!! They were more than accomodating! Ivan was the best! He was so much fun to talk to and did a great job of keeping us entertained with activities or just small talk day to day. He even came to say good bye at check out! (it meant a lot to us) Jonas was amazing as well! He took very good care of us each day at lunch and dinner! Others that were absolutely wonderful were Gaby, Camacho and Carlos!

With such a great staff and beautiful place, we will deifnitely be back.

1  Thank Mandy P
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife found this resort through Destination Weddings.com when we decided for our wedding eloping would be the way to go. And we had a FANTASTIC TIME!!!

Upon arrival, we were welcomed to the hotel with big smiles and as we were given the tour of the resort, the staff was very friendly and always greeted us as we walked past - regardless if they were a gardener or a sales representative. At first we thought this was because we were being given the tour, but this was standard for the staff to do.

The room was nice - we stayed in a Honeymoon Suite and had a fantastic view of the ocean. The room was clean, neat, and welcoming. Knowing we had planned to be married, the room had a wedding video playing with champagne waiting for us - which was a nice surprise. It really made us feel welcome. We were on the top floor of the building and with no elevator, the bellman had to carry our bags up the stairs and did so with a smile.

The grounds were nice - because we were there in late Oct/early Nov, we expected some work being done on the hotel - off season - and their was work remodeling the older areas of the resort. We also arrived after Hurricane Rina had gone by so they were cleaning up from the storm. (Wasn't too bad but they had to put up some curtains on the beds by the pool and such.) We LOVED the beach. Very peaceful and calm water thanks to some man made barriers about 100m off shore. We relaxed on the beach a couple days and enjoyed a "Maroma Lemonade" relaxing on the sand.

I cannot speak higher of the staff at this resort. I had stayed at the Iberostar with my company 5 months earlier. I felt as if the staff there didn't care about us at all. They did their jobs and that's it. We found that, when we left to come home, we were leaving friends. We were always welcomed with smiles and questions about how our day was. We got to know some members of the staff and could tell their interest was genuine.

We did get married while we were on the resort. The chapel overlooked the beach and the wedding coordinators worked with us to make it a very memorable occasion. It was PERFECT! Elena and Fernada guided us through the ceremony and were very, very on top of the details. Because of the Hurricane, we arrived 2 days later than expected. They had to reschedule everything - blood tests and such - so we could have the wedding as planned on November 1st, but have the date on the marriage license be the date of our wedding. If the pieces didn't fall correctly, the date would have to be changed. They made sure that wouldn't happen. Questions we had after the wedding regarding the ceremony and our pictures from the photographer we hired were answered with speed and professionalism. You could tell, they cared.

The food...was...AMAZING! Every meal was delicious. As I mentioned earlier, in May we stayed at Iberostar - two resorts down from El Dorado. The food their was OK at best. Every meal we had was delicious - The duck I had was PERFECTLY prepared...the lamb was fall of the bone tender. Room service was prompt and even made the extra trip for my wife's cappuccino I forgot to order.

We did a tour to Coba while there. Lomas Travel is at the resort every day. Luis was who we worked with to set up the trip and he not only went over the tours with us but the day after our tour, he came looking for us to make sure we had a good time - which we had. Like I said, the staff treats you like more than just a customer. You're more like family.

We did use the spa while there. We both highly recommend a couples moonlight massage on the beach - did that the night before the wedding. Well worth it! My wife also used some of their services the day before our wedding and did get ready for the wedding there. She had a slight wardrobe malfunction while getting ready. (The clasp at the top of the back of her dress broke.) They quickly worked to repair it without making my wife stressed out about it. She was calm but she felt as if she wasn't, how they handled it would have kept her calm.

Negatives...no ATM on site. We made some purchases on our tour and used the cash we had vs credit. We were not able to tip some members of the staff simply because we didn't have money to do it.

I also understand the concept of the hotel - disconnect from everything and relax - but I was shocked that the WiFi was not free. There was a snow storm at home that caused the person watching our pets to lose power. We had to coordinate a possible change of location for them from the resort. Free Wifi would have made that a lot easier.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone. The staff and food were amazing and the room was beautiful as was the view. I would also recommend a wedding at this resort. We had such a memorable time, it was very, very hard to come home.

Room Tip: If you stay in a honeymoon suite, try to get in the "100 - 400" buildings. We had a great...
2  Thank richw55
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We visited El Dorado Maroma in early November – our first trip to this resort, but our fifth visit to a Karisma resort. While there were a few inconsistencies on this vacation, Maroma still earns five stars, mainly because of the wonderful people. At the top of the list is Ruth, our fabulous concierge. If something wasn’t quite right, she made sure it was taken care of. The resort is very quiet, which is exactly what we were looking for. We indicated on our first day that we just wanted to relax – no excursions, no massages – and the staff, while always saying hello with a big smile, respected our wishes and never bothered us once about whether we wanted a massage or to go sightseeing. We were called by name from the beginning, and the exceptional wait staff anticipated when we needed drinks and sometimes even strolled by with a fresh drink, just in case we were ready for one. There were a couple of disappointing items at dinner one day, but the highs by far outweighed the lows. The chef even surprised us with a few special items to complement our dinner order one night (blending Asian and Italian cuisine stunningly). We found the regional items for breakfast and lunch to be delicious, and the special Mayan dinner was exceptional. Interestingly, while dinner that night required reservations, when a couple wandered in without reservations, the staff graciously did not turn them away. And when they looked at the Mayan menu and asked for a salad and a baked potato, no one even blinked, and they were accommodated without question. Our room was very private (on the second floor with an infinity pool), but if you want an ocean view, request a room on the third or fourth floor. We also had no problem finding a beach bed or lounge chair by the pool at any time of the day – quite a contrast to other resorts where this can be a battle requiring that you get up before dawn to stake your claim. If we could change one thing, it would be better house wine. As wine drinkers, we had no problem ordering a bottle with dinner and paying the price, but a drinkable red, white and bubbly for daytime would go a long way to improving things. On the other hand, we got to try some wonderful resort drinks (the Pink Paradise is fantastic, as is the cranberry margarita), and you can’t go wrong with a cold Dos Equis while lying on the beach…

5  Thank BDandB
Reviewed 24 November 2011

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere romantic and less crowded then other resorts. Well this place was much more then that! The food was excellent. You could order two of everything if you were hungry and the drinks were delicious (All of them). Our room was beautiful and the service was the best I've ever experienced. Anything we wanted or needed our conciere (Ruth) was able to provide. We highly recomend the sky massage at night and also dinner on the beach. Both were fantastic. If you want to be pampered, eat great food, have drinks and relax on one of the most beautiful beaches, then this is the place for you. We will be going back in the future!

Room Tip: Request a room with an ocean view. The property is considered oceanfront but not all rooms have an o...
5  Thank MarkLisa_11
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Playa Maroma

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!