“How To Make The Best Better”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Johnson City, Tennessee
“How To Make The Best Better”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We just got back from paradise. Stayed here last year and loved it.We noticed that the staff was happer this time.After two days found out new they had a new general manager Jose Portocarrero great guy made shure everybody was having agreat time and was always on top of things.They need to get them cotton shirts and get rid of polyester.Also the sales Manager has changed in the Exotic Travelers Nick to John greatest move ever! This membership is the best envestment we have ever made saves thousands on travel everware we go.The food is great.Carmina, Adela, Noe, Dinina, Natalee aka Legs,Ceasar and all the bartenders, waiters are seven star and beond.We cannot thank you enough! Luis the Lomas travel guy made sure we had many actitives great fun. We will be back next year.
Thanks Tim and Becky

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the resort
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank one2doo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,152)
  • Czech first
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 15 December 2011

El Dorado Maroma is one of my favorite resorts in Mexico. I've stayed there five times. The beach, staff, food, and rooms are great! Recently my daughter had her wedding in their chappel. Followed by dinner and dancing on the beach. Everything turned out great! I want to thank Jose the manager and his assit Flur, they were gracious and very efficientl!! Some of the outstanding staff: Jonas, Gabbie, Angel and Isral. All of these people went above and
beyond to make my daughters wedding week as close to perfect as possible!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kim l
Stavely
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Just returned from a 10 day stay at Maroma. WOW. We had room 301 a swim up suite on the ground floor. Room was awesome, one of the nicest we have had in our travels.The staff did a great job or making you feel welcome.This is a small resort, and after a few days everyone gets to know you. It was not unusual for them to call you by name. The food was gourmet, and we never waited for a table in any of the restaurants.The beach is spectacular, and lives up to its reputation as one of the top 10 in the world. We had no negative experiences with the resort. If you are looking for a quiet place, this is it. We will definetly return.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so pick a ground floor room if stairs are an issue for you
2 Thank Steve M
Great Falls, Montana, United States
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I travel with my husband and our group of friends. Age ranges from 30's-50's.

Just returned from an 8 day retreat at the El Dorado Maroma. This is an anual trip to Mexico I take. I travel with a group ranging from 4 people up to 16. We have stayed at several different resorts in the Playa del Carmen area. This is our New Home. We search no further for the perfect getaway! El Dorado Maroma provided our group with top notch service, meals and accomidations. All the while we enjoyed the best beach we have been to in mexico. Priced just right. 5 star and diamond status treatment.

Safe and secure! I know all the hub bub about travel to mexico at this time, but I will continue to return. I have never felt uncertain about my safety at anytime. The resorts rely on tourism, it is their lively hood and the People of El Dorado Maroma treat and protect you like family. Everyone in our group drinks the water and eats the food. Have no fear, they want to keep you healthy and make you happy so you will return! They serve bottled water everywhere.

I have found in the past I sought after excursions to get away from the resorts I have stayed at in the past. This year I was so at peace with the environment at the El Dorado I did not want to leave. No reservations for dinner required. Payments are all charged to your room and handled upon checkout. No need to carry more than some cash to tip with. However....I will warn you the service is so excellent you will want to tip everyone! No trolleys or long walks to dinner. Everything you need is close to your room.

I only have one con - - I was bitten by either sand fleas or mosquitos not sure which but boy do they itch! I will bring bug spray when we return.

We have already begun preparations for our return next year. This is a small resort with larger than life treatment. A quiet romantic place to relax with friends and bond with my husband.

Room Tip: Ocean front was the way to go for us. We had the ground floor for the 1st time on a trip. We always...
5 Thank Deana M
Brimfield
Reviewed 7 December 2011

On Nov 12 -19, 2011, my husband and took our 4th trip to EDM. The service is excellent and the beach is breath taking. After 10 years of traveling, it has become number 1 on our list. It would be hard to beat this beautiful resort.
The only issue I have as an exotic member is making reservations and room assignments. On our May 2011 trip to EDM, we reinvested into the updated jewel program with new perks. When scheduling our Nov 2011 trip, I made several calls to the reservations department in Florida. After waiting 2 days,I was told no "royal suite" was available the week we wanted. I was assured I would receive all the royal emerald benefits with our infinity pool suite due to the unavailability . When the confirmation call was made a week before our trip, I confirmed that these benefits would be available to us. This became different when we arrived at the resort. We were told since we booked a sapphire room we only got those benefits. While at the resort, I expressed my frustration with this situation with the staff of exotic travel. I was told this was an on going problem and that an emerald room was available and it should have been offered. I was given an email address to contact exotic travel at EDM directly to make any future reservations. We did not have this problem on previous trips before changing from platium membership to the new jewel program. We hope that this situation is resolved quickly so we can feel positive about our investment and not be disappointed.

Room Tip: try to request buildings 3 or 4
12 Thank 111shane
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to thank you for your comments and we are honored to be considered the number one destination on your travel list; it is truly an honor to serve you on your vacations with us.

We'd like you to know that your feedback and comments have not been overlooked and upon review, were immediately forwarded to Exotic and their Member Services Manager should have already contacted you by now.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservices@karismamexico.com should you have any other inquiries or concerns. On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to personally thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My husband and I just got back from an amazing long weekend in Mexico. Our only other experience was with a Sandals resort so we were sure what to expect. When we first pulled up to the resort I wasn't too thrilled. The lobby is small and there isn't anything fantastic about, that is until you walk inside. The people inside were so welcoming that we hardly noticed the decor. We were greeted with cool towels and a lovely glass of champagne. We were then given a brief tour of the grounds and then escorted to our room.
We booked an infinity pool room and our travel agent asked for us to be in a 4th level room with a view. Our room was everything we expected and more. It was spacious and clean, the jacuzzi tub was large enough for my husband and I to relax with the jets on. The outdoor shower was very nice but the water has a lot more pressure then the rain shower head inside the room.
The staff was super nice and overly helpful. The beach was kept clean and organized we never had a problem getting beach chairs with an umbrella. There were also plenty of beds on the beach if you wanted more shade.
Overall we had an amazing experience and we cannot wait to return!
FYI- if going in November/December, it can get chilly in the afternoon and into the evening so bringing a sweater would be a good idea.

Room Tip: There aren't only elevators, so if you have bad knees, I would recommend a lower level room. The...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KLahde
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at EDM for a short vacation November 12-16th. The all-inclusives we have stayed at prior are Sun Palace, Excellence Riveria Cancun, Couples Swept Away and The Caves. We always like to try new places and we chose EDM based on its location and it's small size ( in comparison to other Riveria Maya all-inclusives)

I'd like to preface this review by saying we had a great vacation and if someone had told me they'd already booked at this resort I would in no way try to dissuade them from going there but we felt other resorts we've visited just do it better.

THE POSITIVES:
- Service at restaurants and by the pool and beach was stellar. Every person had a smile and wanted to know if we needed anything. We have nothing but wonderful things to say about the bartenders, wait staff, etc.

-Bed was very comfortable, room was very clean. We loved sitting on the patio and being able to get right into the pool and swim around to the main pool and get a cocktail.

-The beach was gorgeous. My husband isn't a strong swimmer but loves being out in the water and the waves and tides are often too strong at other places in Mexico for him to venture out very far. Because of the sandbags or "whales", the water at Maroma Beach is clear, calm and the deepest it got was to our hips. I understand this could be a negative for some but for us it was perfect. We'd often wade out, sit in the sand and just talk about life!

-Breakfast and lunch at Sabores and Pepitas were very good. Nice variety of options.

THE NOT SO PERFECT:
-While the room was perfectly comfortable, it was rather dark. I didn't really understand what other reviewers meant when they mentioned that. It wont ruin your vacation but I often felt like I was getting ready in a cave.

-The air conditioner in our room never seemed to be at full power. It was muggier in our room than we have every experienced on any of our tropical vacations. To be fair- it was tolerable so we didn't bring it up to management or attempt to change rooms.

-I had a difficult time at the workout facility. The hours posted outside say 8 am to 11 pm but I get up earlier than 8 am and the room is never locked so I was in there every morning around 7 am. Unfortunately, I always had to go get someone to turn on the treadmills and the air conditioning. HINT- if you want to use the treadmills, there's a switch at the very bottom in the front. And they keep the remote a/c control somewhere the guests can't get to it cause the staff always brought it in, turned on the a/c and then left with the control. Again- this isn't a big deal but one of the reason I chose this resort was for the gym
and it seemed silly to me that I couldn't just walk in and use it.

-We had some minor mishaps with the front desk/conceriege staff saying they would take of something and then having to follow up on it ourselves.

-The food was defintely average for dinner and for room service. Sabores was a our favorite dinner but they paired my delicious mahi mahi with an odd banana puree. My husband liked the Japanese well enough but I wasn't fond of most of the items I tried.

Overall, there was a lot to like about EDM but when comparing it to Sun Palace and ERC, it just fell a little short for us.

7 Thank klageman
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!