5,139 results
All reviews lima limon pedro luis caribbean grill rick's bar infinity pool suite beach butler outdoor shower peruvian restaurant man made island exotic members honeymoon suite beach beds small resort sky massage rueben breakfast and lunch personal concierge
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I recently traveled to El Dorado Maroma Feb 6-13, 2012. I couldn't wait to write a review of this property! Our vacation was perfect!

Transportation: We had a private shuttle from the airport arranged through Lomas Travel. We were instructed to walk directly through the airport, not to talk to anyone, and when we got outside to look for the men in turquoise shirts and white pants. There are many people in the airport that try to get you to talk to them, and offer transportation to your resort, but these people are just trying to scam you. So don't make eye contact! When we got outside, it was easy to find the Lomas people, and we were soon on our way! They do offer Corona for the ride at $5 for 2 bottles. Definitely a great way to start the vacation!

Arrival: the trip from the airport is about 35 minutes. The worst part is the road from the highway to the resort. It is narrow and bumpy but I felt it just added to the feeling of getting away from it all! When we pulled up in front of the main lobby, we were immediately greeted by staff and ushered into a cool reception area. We were met by our concierge who checked us in quickly. We were taken on a quick tour of the property which did not take long, and before long we were shown our room.

Accomodations: we stayed in a honeymoon suite which was on the 3rd floor. There were stairs to deal with, and no elevator, so if you have problems walking please request a ground floor room. Even though we had to walk up and down the stairs several times, the room was spectacular! It was spacious with a king bed, sitting area including table and 2 chairs (great for room service). The bathroom had a double sink, separate toilet area, jacuzzi tub, and shower. We also had an outside shower which we used frequently, The water pressure in the indoor shower was not fantastic, but the outdoor shower had good pressure. The room and bathroom was extremely clean and smelled wonderful. The A/C worked well and kept the room at a comfortable tempurature. We had a lovely balcony with table and chairs, a day bed with numerous pillows, and 2 lounge chairs. We had an amazing view of the pool and ocean, and at night we could see the twinkling lights of Cozumel. There are little lizards that like to hang out on the balcony at night, but as soon as you turn on the lights they quickly scatter, so no need to be afraid! We were next to Sabores so there was some noise from the kitchen in the evening, but everything went quiet after 10pm.

Resort property: the grounds are lovely and very well-maintained. You definitely feel like you are in paradise. There are 2 pools that are beautiful, and we especially liked the one by Sabores. The resort is small and it only takes minutes to get anywhere by walking. No need for shuttles! It was wonderful!

Food: Even though this is a small resort with a few restaurants, they presented a wide variety of food options. Breakfast is served at Sabores and Papito's. I ate at both places. Sabores offers an a la carte menu with several options. Eggs Benedict was good. Ask for the "divorced-style" eggs. I got a kick out of that dish especially since this is a resort that promotes romance! I ate breakfast mostly at Papito's because I liked sitting outside with a view of the beach and ocean. They offer buffet items and made-to-order omelettes. Fabulous. Also make sure you try the green juice. I don't know what is in it, but it made me feel healthier somehow. Lunch is served at Sabores and Papito's as well. We loved Papito's because every day was a different theme. They had a taco bar, hamburger bar, fish market (fresh fish, serving seafood that was literally caught that morning), paella, and Sunday is Prime Rib day! We never got bored! Papito's also serves a special water of the day, different every day. For dinner, you had a choice of Sabores, Kiyoko, and Mio. Kiyoko is asian. We ate there twice. They have choices of appetizers, sushi, main courses, and fried rice. I loved the summer roll which is like a vietnamese spring roll. The sushi was okay, but I eat a lot of sushi and I've had better. It is prepared before dinner service not when you order it, but it still was fresh. I fell in love with the Malay style yellow curry with chicken and had it both times I ate there. My husband had the tepanyaki meal with a sampling of chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, salmon, and mahi mahi. For dessert, do not miss the spring rolls with bananas and nuts. Delicious. We felt like our best meal was at Mio, italian. Saltimbocca was tasty as was the gnocchi with pesto sauce. We never ate off the regular menu at Sabores. They do offer 3 special themed nights during the week, Mayan, Italian, and Mexican. We went to the Mayan and Italian nights and found our meals to be well prepared and tasty. Papito's also has "Meet the Butcher" nights which is basically steak heaven! I had an excellent prime rib, and my husband enjoyed his strip steak.

Bars: there are 3 bars. There is a pool bar outside Sabores with a swim-up bar. There is also a swim-up bar along with patio seating at the 24 bar. Rick's Bar is open in the evening, and stays open until 2am. It is indoors. Every night they have different entertainment. We went to listen to a live band one night which was good. My favorite was the Mayan and Mexican show, with dancers performing several dances. One of the ladies pulled my husband up onto stage to dance, and I laughed hysterically! I thought the quality of the drinks were excellent. My husband discovered a new drink called an Iceberg. It is a tall glass of beer with a frozem margarita topper which apparently keeps your beer cold. I usually asked for the bartender to make me his specialty drink, and loved being surprised. They do make excellent mojitos and mango margaritas. Never any shortage of choices!

Staff: simply amazing! I don't think we had a bad experience with anyone! Our concierge Adela was very helpful, and would come to find us on the beach or at the pool to see how we were doing. The housekeepers did an excellent job cleaning the room, and we especially loved the turndown service with chocolates. The wait staff learned our names quickly. Everywhere you go you are met with "Hola!" The beach staff kept your hand with a drink all afternoon!

Beach: this beach was beautiful. The sand is soft and plentiful. The ocean water was comfortable and clear. It is shallow and you can walk all they way out to the sandbags. Yes there are sandbags. Some people have commented about the unsightly appearance, but they do serve a purpose and did not bother us. You can get snorkeling gear for free, but my husband actually bought us each a mask and snorkel in the gift shop for $50.

Lomas Travel has a representative on location. Luis was amazing. We sat down to talk to him about various excursions. He asked us about our tastes and recommended 2 excursions. We went on an "Ocean Sarfari" next door at the marina, which consisted of wave runners and snorkeling. We snorkeled at 2 sites, including a cenote, which was beautiful. Our guide did an excellent job of pointing things out to us, even diving down to bring up a starfish for us to examine. I had a blast on the wave runner even though it began raining on the way back. The other excursion was to Rio Secreto which is a maze of underground caves and rivers. They provide a wetsuit, lifejacket, water shoes, helmet and light source. You are in a small group and led on a tour throughout this magical place. I will do a full review separately.

This resort is small and intimate. It is not a wild party place, and it seems as if everyone was asleep by 10pm. It is a place to relax, be pampered, and eat well. My husband and I definitely felt like we reconnected with one another and rekindled the romance!

We met a lot of friendly people from all over. Because of the small size, you run into your new friends everywhere! Special shout out to our new friends from Canada, Michelle and Dave. I miss having mojitos on the beach!

I'd like to recognize some of the staff. Carlos at the 24 bar. Antonio at the Sabores pool bar. Diego and Linda on the beach. David at Kiyoko. Alfredo and Victor at Papito's. I'm forgetting a lot of others.

We would definitely return to this place.

2  Thank DrLeslieBee
Reviewed 17 February 2012

All the other reviews are true, the hotel is beautifull and the staff excellent. BUT the foor is really below avarage. The breakfast is ok, but not a big choice. Lunch was mostly ok. The dinners were mostly tastless and poorly prepaired ( there were some dishes ok). It had nothing to do with gourmet food or exclusive dishes as advertised. After complaining about it the food and bevarage manager didn't take it very serious. He offered to make it right and offered a VIP treatment, in practise this was a cosmetic upgrade, the performance of the kitchen was still very bad.

If you like good food, stay away from this place, the beautifull setting doesn't make up for it.

Date of stay: January 2012
9  Thank Remco H
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma staff and management, please accept our most sincerest apology for the areas that fell short of expectation. We were very disappointed to hear that you were relatively unimpressed by your vacation at our resort.

Although we have sent you a personal e-mail regarding this matter, we would like to address your feedback pertaining to our food services once more. Our Cuisine is what started our Gourmet Inclusive concept and remains one of the highlights of any guest experience. We are truly very sorry that your experiences were not in line with our reputation for fine dining, gourmet cuisine. Our menus have been created by chefs trained at some of the finest Michelin and Zagat rated restaurants from around the world. Each dish has been thought through perfectly and contains only the freshest ingredients, produced from our very own green house.

We are very surprised by your comments as our resort has always received such positive feedback and acclaim for its culinary efforts. We have taken your comments very seriously; your feedback will be used constructively to make improvements to our Gourmet Inclusive services.

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

this review is coming from a blue collared worker. Not a wine snob or someone who takes 5 trips a year to resorts.
Only advice i would give for this resort is save your money on getting the infinity pool rooms.97% of these rooms do not have functioning pumps. This leads to a stagnent body of water sitting on your deck which is perfect spot of mosquitos and all sorts of bugs to breed in. Maids due there best to keep it clean but within a couple hours its full again. It doesnt matter how much chlorine you put in these pools the bugs will come if water isnt moving through pumps.
The resort as a whole is nothing short of perfect. The comments on the sewage smell are not as bad as it seems. We maybe would smell it 2 or 3 times a day in random spots and wouldnt last more than a second or two. Most times being on beach closer to the marina.
No there isnt much to do at night. My girlfriend and I are in our mid 20's and it didnt bother us a bit as we were up daily at sunrise to get the most of the day so were in bed by 9 at the latest everynight anyway.
And couldnt help but notice that we were one of the few at the resort that were tipping daily. We tip 20 peso a day to maid, 20 for breakfast and lunch and for every 2nd or 3rd trip the waiters made for us on beach or for bartender and 50 for dinners. Its hardly anything for us and I have to work really hard for my money so to see all these people who were far better off then us to not tip at all started to bug me. These guys hussle like crazy and will do anything you want so bring some spare pesos each day and tip. Wont hurt most of your pocket books. Ya, its all inclusive but that doesnt help the servers wages at all.
Without a doubt a 5 star resort. Hopefully management brings in a snack menu for the beach and by pool and FIX THE INFINITY POOLS. If so we will be back. Thanks again to all!

People who made the trip for us and would be reason for us to come back:

-Manuel Valenzuela- from the first morning we got there, he seemed to always be there with a huge smile. Hopefully management realizes his potential before another company swaps him up and moves him up in there resort because its only a matter of time before he is running a resort. Thanks again for everything bud

-Camacho(activities)- he makes the best with what he can. Not many people are willing to do many activities at this resort but for the few that he could get to interact he made it lots of fun. had some good laughs with him

-Leydi( evening turndown and aromatherapy)- in our room alot in the evening getting room service so ran into her a few times. Enjoyed seeing her and interacting. she had a laugh that was contagious and was a highlight to each day. Dont understand why they wouldnt have a girl like her waitressing or working at front desk because she was great

Cindy(host) and Mancal(server)- both great people with posotive attitudes. Everything from watching cindy bring butterfly to a nearby bush to watching Mancal run non stop all day and night long with a huge smile made us smile.

Louis( Lomas Travel)- We booked xelha through him and even after that was done it seemed everday he would go out of his way to see how we were including shaking hands at end of trip. Things like that make a difference to us

Room tip: No ocean views froms 2nd floor. Infinity pools are not in proper working order. Only 2 in whole resort were working. Dont waste your money on these rooms. Went in one day and i had to clean for 20 min before hand and it was still gross.
10  Thank 14oilers
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay in hundreds of properties during my life all around the world and I have to say that Maroma can stand proud in their efforts. The grounds were well maintained and beautiful, the water clear, the food outstanding and the staff were above excellent. I love the intimate atmosphere with attentive service- it created a wonderful retreat for 3 friends who have known each other for 35 years! I would not hesitate to recommend this property to my friends and family. What a terrific find!

Room tip: We stayed in the Casa Del Patron- it was AMAZING!!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank StaceyPurcell
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The thing that struck us most about El Dorado Maroma was at how friendly the employees were, and how that rubbed off onto all of us tourists in a positive way, as everyone we came across was happy and having a good time. We have stayed at places that have advertised such an environment, but ultimately it feels forced... not the case at EDM, it all felt very genuine.

We stayed in a One-Bedroom Suite with a partial ocean view, and it was more spacious than we could have imagined (2 person max occupancy??? LOL). The one trick we learned quickly was to let the hot water run for a couple of minutes for the shower since it was explained that we (in Room 1101) were on the farthest extent of the system, but once you know that, then no problem.

The food was fantastic, both in the restaurants (our favorite place without a doubt was Papitos) as well as room service, with plenty of beverage options to choose from. Back home, the rule is "If in doubt don't eat"... at EDM, just the opposite! I was afraid that I had gained 10 pounds, but am happy to report it was in actuality just 2.

We were there for 4 days, although Day 1 was a late-afternoon settle in and Day 4 was get-out, so that left us with two full, rich days to enjoy the beautiful white sands, great food, great employess, and great fellow travelers. We were more than happy to just take it easy, but I would be remiss if I did not mention that you have the option to go on various excursions... we just choose to soak in whatever sun could get through our SPF50 sunscreen on the beach. lol

It is interesting to note the number of reviews that originate from my regional neck of the woods lately. Here we are 1,500 miles away from home and 70% of us are from the same basic area. Just a coincidence I'm sure, but a neat one!

One last shout out to Manuel, who was so very helpful and friendly to us during our stay. Job well done, man! We wish you all well, and hopefully will meet someday in the not too distant future on the white sandy beaches!

8  Thank JudgedaveTraveller