“Beautiful Mayan Rivera Resort”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Mayan Rivera Resort”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Just returned from the Karisma El Dorado Maroma with my wife for a romantic Valentines week holiday. The hotel is adults only and is approximately a half hour south of the airport by car. The grounds, pools and beach are well maintained and exceptionally clean. We stayed in one of the MI Hotelito Beachfront suites. My understanding is these suites are the original structures and were recently renovated in the last year or two. Our room was tastefully furnished, the back patio opened next to Bar 24 with its pool, then a few steps to the beach. There is several other room choices with plunge pools or villas directly on the beach or with garden views these rooms are in buildings added to the resort over the last few years. The hotel staff is very professional, quick to say hello and are eager to please yet are not over bearing. The hotel assigns a personal concierge to you a nice touch. They will arrange spa treatments, reserve you a table for the themed dinning evenings and can help you with anything else. They also see if you are interested in joining the hotels vacation club, our concierge was very professional about this and was not pushy which I appreciated.

The food was very good. I would rate breakfast and lunch best dinner second. There are four restaurants Kiyoko (dinner only) it is Asian inspired this was our favorite. Mio (dinner only) serves Italian, Sabores serves Mexican/Caribbean and Papitos offered pretty much anything else. Ask for the Green juice at breakfast it is really good! The only food criticism I offer is the wine selection. The house wines were not that good. The resort did offer other wines but it was extra, not cheap, and those selections were not that great. We were told by one of the waiters that management was changing the wine selection. That said we switched to tequila, ole!

I would recommend some filed trips off of the resort. See Luis the Lomas Travel service representative who has an office just off the main reception area he was excelente. Trips are at an extra cost and can be charged to your room. We enjoyed the Camel Safari Brandon and Bernard are great tour guides. This took about 3hours was near by and fun. We also visited Tulum, a Mayan Village, Coba and snorkeling with turtles. This was an all day trip that was about 11 hours. The hotel offers free shuttle service into Playa Del Carmen on Wednesday and one other day, don’t remember, it would be nice if they offered this more frequently. The hotel had an entertainment program with many activities but I noticed no one participating. We seemed to have a mature crowd the week we stayed who preferred to lounge, and take it easy. Next to the resort, but not part of it, is a marina that offers boat tours, parasailing, jet ski’s etc…

A note about the rotten smell mentioned by other reviews. I did notice it on occasion but it was not overbearing, consistent or a nuisance. Not sure if this has anything to do with the smell but the resort is surrounded by a mangrove swamp. We had no issues with mosquitoes.

Overall this was a beautiful and quite resort that provided excellent service, good food and a very nice beach. We were very satisfied and highly recommend it to anyone!

8 Thank pmny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was a fantastic resort that gave everything it promised - a romantic, relaxing setting with good food and a beautiful location that was perfect for a much needed vacation! The food was good, as was the service. I loved the small size of the resort - it never felt crowded, you could find quiet when you wanted it and there was a lot of privacy. My only complaint was that the people staying above our room left their jacuzzi tub running and fell asleep (I'm assuming they were drunk), resulting in a flood. We were awoken at 12:30 a.m. with water dripping from the ceiling onto our pillows and my boyfriend's head, and discovered it was also flowing down the walls. The staff arrived within a 10 minutes of our call and after some assessment gave us a different room to sleep in for the night because our bed was directly under the leak. Unfortunately, the AC in the new room wasn't working, and between that and the commotion of having people come in to photograph the damage and us switching rooms in the middle of the night, neither of us really slept that night. Other than a brief apology during the move, we didn't receive much of an apology for the inconvenience - I thought more could have been done to make it right, given that we lost a night of sleep (and sleep is important when you're on vacation!) and a night in our room as a result of this. We aren't the types to complain or demand extras, but at least an apology the next morning from the management would have been in order. Aside from this problem with customer service, I was impressed with the place, but the incident did lower my overall impression.

Room Tip: We booked the infinity pool room but were upgraded when we arrived to the swim up, and LOVED it. We...
2 Thank BMcBee
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 February 2012

After quite a bit of hassle with Karisma office on our booking and its payments, we were happy with the room and location of the resort. The beach is nice and the bay very beautiful.

However, we were not impressed by the quality of the food, to say the least. The drinks available weren of pretty bad quality as well.

In general the staff is very friendly and helpful, but we left the resort with a bad feeling because of the following: we brought some cash to the hotel, we couldn't lock it in our safe because we only got the key to the safe on day three of our stay. We didn't realise until after a few days that someome had taken money from our cash, only small amounts each day, but well worth it if you accumulate these amounts. We went to reception to inform the hotel about our suspicions. They initially seemed to take it seriously and investigated the case. Then on the day of our checkout we were told that they did not find any proof that one of their staff members had taken the money, basically they made us feel like idiots and told us to send a complaint to their customer services email address if we wanted. Though we appreciate their initial reaction, the final feeling when we left the resort was one of disappointment, like silly kids being told off and one thing is for sure: we will never ever return to Karisma resorts again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pieter007
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma staff and management, we'd like to apologize for what seems to have been a disappointing stay. We never like to hear that one of our valued guests have had an unpleasant experience with our resort, as we take pride in the fact that our reputation for quality and service exceeds above average standards.

We urge you to contact us immediately so that we can further investigate your experience: customerservices@karismamexico.com.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I recently traveled to El Dorado Maroma Feb 6-13, 2012. I couldn't wait to write a review of this property! Our vacation was perfect!

Transportation: We had a private shuttle from the airport arranged through Lomas Travel. We were instructed to walk directly through the airport, not to talk to anyone, and when we got outside to look for the men in turquoise shirts and white pants. There are many people in the airport that try to get you to talk to them, and offer transportation to your resort, but these people are just trying to scam you. So don't make eye contact! When we got outside, it was easy to find the Lomas people, and we were soon on our way! They do offer Corona for the ride at $5 for 2 bottles. Definitely a great way to start the vacation!

Arrival: the trip from the airport is about 35 minutes. The worst part is the road from the highway to the resort. It is narrow and bumpy but I felt it just added to the feeling of getting away from it all! When we pulled up in front of the main lobby, we were immediately greeted by staff and ushered into a cool reception area. We were met by our concierge who checked us in quickly. We were taken on a quick tour of the property which did not take long, and before long we were shown our room.

Accomodations: we stayed in a honeymoon suite which was on the 3rd floor. There were stairs to deal with, and no elevator, so if you have problems walking please request a ground floor room. Even though we had to walk up and down the stairs several times, the room was spectacular! It was spacious with a king bed, sitting area including table and 2 chairs (great for room service). The bathroom had a double sink, separate toilet area, jacuzzi tub, and shower. We also had an outside shower which we used frequently, The water pressure in the indoor shower was not fantastic, but the outdoor shower had good pressure. The room and bathroom was extremely clean and smelled wonderful. The A/C worked well and kept the room at a comfortable tempurature. We had a lovely balcony with table and chairs, a day bed with numerous pillows, and 2 lounge chairs. We had an amazing view of the pool and ocean, and at night we could see the twinkling lights of Cozumel. There are little lizards that like to hang out on the balcony at night, but as soon as you turn on the lights they quickly scatter, so no need to be afraid! We were next to Sabores so there was some noise from the kitchen in the evening, but everything went quiet after 10pm.

Resort property: the grounds are lovely and very well-maintained. You definitely feel like you are in paradise. There are 2 pools that are beautiful, and we especially liked the one by Sabores. The resort is small and it only takes minutes to get anywhere by walking. No need for shuttles! It was wonderful!

Food: Even though this is a small resort with a few restaurants, they presented a wide variety of food options. Breakfast is served at Sabores and Papito's. I ate at both places. Sabores offers an a la carte menu with several options. Eggs Benedict was good. Ask for the "divorced-style" eggs. I got a kick out of that dish especially since this is a resort that promotes romance! I ate breakfast mostly at Papito's because I liked sitting outside with a view of the beach and ocean. They offer buffet items and made-to-order omelettes. Fabulous. Also make sure you try the green juice. I don't know what is in it, but it made me feel healthier somehow. Lunch is served at Sabores and Papito's as well. We loved Papito's because every day was a different theme. They had a taco bar, hamburger bar, fish market (fresh fish, serving seafood that was literally caught that morning), paella, and Sunday is Prime Rib day! We never got bored! Papito's also serves a special water of the day, different every day. For dinner, you had a choice of Sabores, Kiyoko, and Mio. Kiyoko is asian. We ate there twice. They have choices of appetizers, sushi, main courses, and fried rice. I loved the summer roll which is like a vietnamese spring roll. The sushi was okay, but I eat a lot of sushi and I've had better. It is prepared before dinner service not when you order it, but it still was fresh. I fell in love with the Malay style yellow curry with chicken and had it both times I ate there. My husband had the tepanyaki meal with a sampling of chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, salmon, and mahi mahi. For dessert, do not miss the spring rolls with bananas and nuts. Delicious. We felt like our best meal was at Mio, italian. Saltimbocca was tasty as was the gnocchi with pesto sauce. We never ate off the regular menu at Sabores. They do offer 3 special themed nights during the week, Mayan, Italian, and Mexican. We went to the Mayan and Italian nights and found our meals to be well prepared and tasty. Papito's also has "Meet the Butcher" nights which is basically steak heaven! I had an excellent prime rib, and my husband enjoyed his strip steak.

Bars: there are 3 bars. There is a pool bar outside Sabores with a swim-up bar. There is also a swim-up bar along with patio seating at the 24 bar. Rick's Bar is open in the evening, and stays open until 2am. It is indoors. Every night they have different entertainment. We went to listen to a live band one night which was good. My favorite was the Mayan and Mexican show, with dancers performing several dances. One of the ladies pulled my husband up onto stage to dance, and I laughed hysterically! I thought the quality of the drinks were excellent. My husband discovered a new drink called an Iceberg. It is a tall glass of beer with a frozem margarita topper which apparently keeps your beer cold. I usually asked for the bartender to make me his specialty drink, and loved being surprised. They do make excellent mojitos and mango margaritas. Never any shortage of choices!

Staff: simply amazing! I don't think we had a bad experience with anyone! Our concierge Adela was very helpful, and would come to find us on the beach or at the pool to see how we were doing. The housekeepers did an excellent job cleaning the room, and we especially loved the turndown service with chocolates. The wait staff learned our names quickly. Everywhere you go you are met with "Hola!" The beach staff kept your hand with a drink all afternoon!

Beach: this beach was beautiful. The sand is soft and plentiful. The ocean water was comfortable and clear. It is shallow and you can walk all they way out to the sandbags. Yes there are sandbags. Some people have commented about the unsightly appearance, but they do serve a purpose and did not bother us. You can get snorkeling gear for free, but my husband actually bought us each a mask and snorkel in the gift shop for $50.

Lomas Travel has a representative on location. Luis was amazing. We sat down to talk to him about various excursions. He asked us about our tastes and recommended 2 excursions. We went on an "Ocean Sarfari" next door at the marina, which consisted of wave runners and snorkeling. We snorkeled at 2 sites, including a cenote, which was beautiful. Our guide did an excellent job of pointing things out to us, even diving down to bring up a starfish for us to examine. I had a blast on the wave runner even though it began raining on the way back. The other excursion was to Rio Secreto which is a maze of underground caves and rivers. They provide a wetsuit, lifejacket, water shoes, helmet and light source. You are in a small group and led on a tour throughout this magical place. I will do a full review separately.

This resort is small and intimate. It is not a wild party place, and it seems as if everyone was asleep by 10pm. It is a place to relax, be pampered, and eat well. My husband and I definitely felt like we reconnected with one another and rekindled the romance!

We met a lot of friendly people from all over. Because of the small size, you run into your new friends everywhere! Special shout out to our new friends from Canada, Michelle and Dave. I miss having mojitos on the beach!

I'd like to recognize some of the staff. Carlos at the 24 bar. Antonio at the Sabores pool bar. Diego and Linda on the beach. David at Kiyoko. Alfredo and Victor at Papito's. I'm forgetting a lot of others.

We would definitely return to this place.

2 Thank DrLeslieBee
Pijnacker
Reviewed 17 February 2012

All the other reviews are true, the hotel is beautifull and the staff excellent. BUT the foor is really below avarage. The breakfast is ok, but not a big choice. Lunch was mostly ok. The dinners were mostly tastless and poorly prepaired ( there were some dishes ok). It had nothing to do with gourmet food or exclusive dishes as advertised. After complaining about it the food and bevarage manager didn't take it very serious. He offered to make it right and offered a VIP treatment, in practise this was a cosmetic upgrade, the performance of the kitchen was still very bad.

If you like good food, stay away from this place, the beautifull setting doesn't make up for it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Remco H
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma staff and management, please accept our most sincerest apology for the areas that fell short of expectation. We were very disappointed to hear that you were relatively unimpressed by your vacation at our resort.

Although we have sent you a personal e-mail regarding this matter, we would like to address your feedback pertaining to our food services once more. Our Cuisine is what started our Gourmet Inclusive concept and remains one of the highlights of any guest experience. We are truly very sorry that your experiences were not in line with our reputation for fine dining, gourmet cuisine. Our menus have been created by chefs trained at some of the finest Michelin and Zagat rated restaurants from around the world. Each dish has been thought through perfectly and contains only the freshest ingredients, produced from our very own green house.

We are very surprised by your comments as our resort has always received such positive feedback and acclaim for its culinary efforts. We have taken your comments very seriously; your feedback will be used constructively to make improvements to our Gourmet Inclusive services.

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

this review is coming from a blue collared worker. Not a wine snob or someone who takes 5 trips a year to resorts.
Only advice i would give for this resort is save your money on getting the infinity pool rooms.97% of these rooms do not have functioning pumps. This leads to a stagnent body of water sitting on your deck which is perfect spot of mosquitos and all sorts of bugs to breed in. Maids due there best to keep it clean but within a couple hours its full again. It doesnt matter how much chlorine you put in these pools the bugs will come if water isnt moving through pumps.
The resort as a whole is nothing short of perfect. The comments on the sewage smell are not as bad as it seems. We maybe would smell it 2 or 3 times a day in random spots and wouldnt last more than a second or two. Most times being on beach closer to the marina.
No there isnt much to do at night. My girlfriend and I are in our mid 20's and it didnt bother us a bit as we were up daily at sunrise to get the most of the day so were in bed by 9 at the latest everynight anyway.
And couldnt help but notice that we were one of the few at the resort that were tipping daily. We tip 20 peso a day to maid, 20 for breakfast and lunch and for every 2nd or 3rd trip the waiters made for us on beach or for bartender and 50 for dinners. Its hardly anything for us and I have to work really hard for my money so to see all these people who were far better off then us to not tip at all started to bug me. These guys hussle like crazy and will do anything you want so bring some spare pesos each day and tip. Wont hurt most of your pocket books. Ya, its all inclusive but that doesnt help the servers wages at all.
Without a doubt a 5 star resort. Hopefully management brings in a snack menu for the beach and by pool and FIX THE INFINITY POOLS. If so we will be back. Thanks again to all!

People who made the trip for us and would be reason for us to come back:

-Manuel Valenzuela- from the first morning we got there, he seemed to always be there with a huge smile. Hopefully management realizes his potential before another company swaps him up and moves him up in there resort because its only a matter of time before he is running a resort. Thanks again for everything bud

-Camacho(activities)- he makes the best with what he can. Not many people are willing to do many activities at this resort but for the few that he could get to interact he made it lots of fun. had some good laughs with him

-Leydi( evening turndown and aromatherapy)- in our room alot in the evening getting room service so ran into her a few times. Enjoyed seeing her and interacting. she had a laugh that was contagious and was a highlight to each day. Dont understand why they wouldnt have a girl like her waitressing or working at front desk because she was great

Cindy(host) and Mancal(server)- both great people with posotive attitudes. Everything from watching cindy bring butterfly to a nearby bush to watching Mancal run non stop all day and night long with a huge smile made us smile.

Louis( Lomas Travel)- We booked xelha through him and even after that was done it seemed everday he would go out of his way to see how we were including shaking hands at end of trip. Things like that make a difference to us

Room Tip: No ocean views froms 2nd floor. Infinity pools are not in proper working order. Only 2 in whole reso...
10 Thank 14oilers
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay in hundreds of properties during my life all around the world and I have to say that Maroma can stand proud in their efforts. The grounds were well maintained and beautiful, the water clear, the food outstanding and the staff were above excellent. I love the intimate atmosphere with attentive service- it created a wonderful retreat for 3 friends who have known each other for 35 years! I would not hesitate to recommend this property to my friends and family. What a terrific find!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Casa Del Patron- it was AMAZING!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,565 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!