“Another awesome trip to El Dorado Maroma”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Another awesome trip to El Dorado Maroma”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This was our 3rd time and can't wait to make it a 4th time. Truly amazing time again!! What I noticed this time though was that they are environmentally conscious. How many resorts do you know that are like that?! They have their own Greenhouse so everything you eat is fresh. Lunch was my favorite time to eat because they have a different theme everyday. But breakfast and dinner are always a treat as well! And I couldn't wait to sleep on their clean and comfortable beds and pillows! I have a tempurpedic at home and their beds are just as comfy. Oh and the beach, oh and the water! Miss it and Love it!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Munaya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
San Antonio
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Our favorite of all the El Dorado resorts, Maroma is close to perfect. Beautiful beach, fabulous accommodations, impeccably maintained grounds, top notch service and excellent food. You'd have to look pretty hard to find a negative about this place. We love that Maroma is a smaller, boutique style resort, and it is located right next to a fishing marina, so if you like to fish you'll be in heaven with daily trips departing right next door (and no $100 cab ride just to get there!). We are Exotic Travelers Club members, so the value is amazing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pieinthesky3
Calgary
Reviewed 1 September 2012

As my title might suggest we had the pleasure of being at El Dorado during Hurricane Ernesto. While we were far enough North that the hurricane was a non event I must compliment the hotel on the preparation. I was quite nervous as this was to be my first hurricane experience. The staff at the hotel was amazing at quietly preparing for what might happen. Coconuts were chopped, loose objects were secured...on and on. The relaxed manor of the staff relaxed me to the point I actually slept through the hurricane. Got up in the morning had breakfast and a rum as if nothing had happened. Beach was back open by 2 PM with full service.

Beyond this the hotel is amazing. I have stayed in at least 20 all inclusive hotels in the Mayan and they are all good but this one goes above and beyond. The food is fantastic with great variety. The drinks are all premium brand. I mentioned one day that I like Havana Club Rum, the next day the swim up bar had it...the good stuff. The bar tenders, the beach servers just incredible. The bar tender in the Disco anticipated my every move, even fixed me with a bottle of wine at the end of the night.

Did I mention the beach? The most amazing calm water on the Mayan. On my first visit I was annoyed by the sand bags in the water but after being through Ernesto I truly appreciate their function. Nice wide beach with so many empty chairs never a rush to get there.

We had a swim up Jacuzzi Suite, very romantic and amazingly private. Last trip we booked we had one of the beach Villas. If you can afford it this is true over indulgence...you will never forget it.

Spotless rooms, cleaning staff was meticulous

Only negative is a lack of night life. This is a couples resort and most head off to their rooms after dinner. 15 people is the most we ever saw in the Disco. We did catch an act on the Monday (didn't get her name) that was truly world class. I didn't expect a singer of this quality in a Disco with 15 people. She wont be playing this circuit long so if you catch her you are in for a real treat.

All in all the best couples all inclusive I have been to.

Room Tip: If you go swim up make sure your room faces toward the main pool. Still lots of privacy but sheltere...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank B G
Merion Station, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We took our fourth trip to Maroma from August 3-11. We stayed in the one bedroom oceanfront, in the newest section of the resort. Although there was construction going on next door, it was still a wonderful room. We were fortunate enough to be on the second floor, so we also had our own private pool. The room was just beautiful - the only thing we missed was the outdoor shower. Once again, the highlight of this resort is the people who work there. Unfailingly friendly and helpful, our kudos to Emilio, Rosy, Israel, Jeremias, Gaby, Franklin, David in the Asian restaurant, Adele and everyone else who provided such wonderful service.
We were there for hurricane Ernesto, and have to congratulate the resort on how it was handled. Preparations were made in plenty of time (packing up the beach, taking down signs, etc., and clean up the following morning was quick and thorough.
Other highlights included breakfast and lunch, both at Sabores and Papitos. Dinners were good, but after such great meals all day and a few drinks, it's hard to be too hungry by dinner. We never left a meal unsatisfied - both food and service were almost flawless.
Since it was August, the resort was very quiet - just the way we like it. No weddings, no large groups - just peace and quiet. There is a family resort being built next door, but the restaurants and beach will be kept separate. Everyone should have the opportunity to experience this absolutely beautiful beach. We went snorkeling every day just by walking into the water and saw starfish, lobster,. lion fish (from a distance), barracuda, the usual lovely multicolored fish and even a ray! Other than that, it is the perfect place to restore your soul and relax. Kudos,too, to Daniel,for the wonderful massage.
We fully expect to return to Maroma in the near future. To Bonnie and Jack, Carl and Diane - Lainie and John and Steve and Barb hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank barbandsteve
Ottawa
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Based on my, and my family's 11 day experience at The El Dorado Maroma (13 - 14 August 2012), I can say, without any doubt, that this is a well managed, very comfortable, extremely friendly and beautiful little resort.

The Grounds:
The grounds are palm tree fringed beachfront, well manicured, clean and compact. You can walk from on end to the other – in about five minutes. There is a main pool (which is relatively large in comparison to the size of the resort itself) with a shaded swim up bar which fronts one of the restaurants (Sabores). Lunch is available poolside from an À la carte menu. There are plenty of loungers and shaded "day beds" surrounding the pool. This pool gets sun throughout the day.

The second smaller pool also has a shaded swim up bar and lots of loungers/sun beds. This pool gets more shade throughout the day, especially in the afternoon.

A very nice beach, white powder sand. Not one of the top ten in the world, as claimed by Karisma, (I have been to better beaches). Nonetheless a good beach. The only downside in my opinion, it is spoilt slightly by the rather large marina.

There is unlimited beach/pool towel use, no signing for them either – a big plus.

The Food/Restaurants:
There is no buffet feeding trough – only three À la carte restaurants (Caribbean, Asian and Italian), plus three food theme nights per week in Sabores (Mayan, Mexican and Italian). Personally, I like the idea of a buffet free resort, however this may not be true for everyone. This resorts claims to be “gourmet” all inclusive. Although not quiet gourmet, the food is very good. If anyone is concerned that three restaurants provides insufficient choices for a two week stay, the chefs at each of the restaurants will do their best to prepare different dishes – as requested by you. The chef at the Asian/Japanese restaurant prepared us a special dinner not on the menu because I had mentioned to the concierge (that morning) that for a long stay, the choices might be limited.

The only negative on the food comment, is that the special Mayan night was disappointing. Our least favourite meal – “Mayan cuisine”, not sure what it is, neither did the chef, in my opinion.

Lunches are themed daily at Pepitos (on the beach) from gourmet burgers to prime rib of beef. Never had a bad lunch at Pepitos. Sabores also serves an a la carte lunch, never had a bad lunch there either.

The Bedroom:
We had a swim up Jacuzzi room. It was large, clean, and comfortable. There are two showers, indoor and outdoor and of course, a large Jacuzzi tub. Loved the ability to open up the sliding glass doors and walk out to the patio and step into the lazy river and swim into the main pool and bar. Strongly recommend this type of room.

Entertainment:
Very limited, but if I wanted entertainment and night life I would have gone to Las Vegas or London.

The Staff:
In a word, superb - from the waiters to the chefs to the barmen to the maids to the mini bar re-stockers, all efficient, friendly and very good at what they do. Couldn’t find fault with any of them. A word of caution, be aware of the sales pitched by the folks at the Exotic Travel Club collocated on the hotel grounds. You can choose to ignore them, and they will respect your wishes.

All in all, a very satisfying experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank Shufti_Traveller
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Reviewed 30 August 2012

If you ask me what is the best hotel in the Riviera Maya, I would say that El Dorado Maroma, why? for having the best beach in the area. But that's not all, This hotel has everything you could want, luxurious amenities, gourmet food all the time, unsurpassed service staff who thinks only of your welfare, a beautiful beach for swimming, sunbathing, water activities, dance, ride a camel and the best is sand that seems flour, few beaches are with this type of sand, I remember it was like the one in Cancun years ago. My brother and I had the opportunity to make this trip during his visit to Mexico from Vienna, so we enjoyed the time together and the beautiful facilities of the hotel. Some of the activities we did, were paddling kayak and for the first time he convence me to join him on a ride for a half hour on a jet ski at high speed, despite the fear I had of not knowing if he was a good driver, well during the first few minutes I noticed that really he was good, so I hugged him hard, and I crossed onself and flung into the adventure to experience the full. This is the second time we do something together and it was great! Also we could see the realization of a wedding by the sea and gave me the idea to tell my husband to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary in the same place, the bride and groom were radiant with happiness under the blazing Caribbean sun. As part of the experience at this hotel, I should mention the delicious food served, really worth it to forget the diet! because I could not stop eating everything offered by each of the different themed restaurants they have. I want to give special recognition to the chefs Paco and Araceli for the extraordinary feast of food, salmon sandwich and lobster lasagna were the cherry to the top. Thank you very much to everyone. I'll look forward to go again very soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank viajeraincansable73
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 August 2012

What a wonderful place. Staff are incredible.. like you're staying with family. Food is great (especially for an all-inclusive). (all the food was good, but I would advise sticking to what you know is going to be great in the area - i.e. Mexican, and specifically, Yucatan and Mayan cuisine. Also surprisingly, they also specialize in Italian food... even a wood-buring pizza oven). Normally, we would never do an all-inclusive because of the crappy vegas-buffet quality food and poor booze, but Karisma hotels are a different story (we've stayed at a few of them). Although the menu items were great, we often ordered things that weren't on the menu (e.g. we asked the chefs to make us their favorite mexican dishes every day... and they were mind-blowingly good). Cocktails also made to whatever specifications you'd like. The photos on the hotel's website really are actually the best representation of what things look like, at least in our experience. Our room was amazing. Exactly like the website. Love the indoor and the outdoor shower. Personal pool was incredible... what a great way to start the day.

Also, my wife wanted to mention that she had fantastic massages in the beachside pavilion.

There are few places that we would go to more than once (so much world to see!), but this is a place we will come back to several times a year to unwind.

BTW - on a side note, we saw one person who had a medical emergency (older person with a heart issue), and the med care seemed top notch. Far better than what we'd have in the US.

I would also like to add that we booked the trip through VIP Vacations (travelbyvip.com), and specifically Jennifer Doncsecz. We found out about her through another reviewer's post and she really took care of us as well, so I wanted to recommend her again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,563 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!