El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
US$536
US$517
  • Breakfast included
Catalonia Playa Maroma(Playa Maroma)
US$380
Orbitz.com
Amarte Hotel(Playa Maroma)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$73
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa(Playa Maroma)
US$614
US$599
Kin Sol Soleil(Playa Maroma)
US$447
US$221
Priceline
  • Beachfront
4,498 results
All reviewslima limoncaribbean grillpedro luisrick's baroutdoor showerinfinity pool suitemi hotelitobeach butlerperuvian restaurantexotic membersman made islandhoneymoon suitebeach bedssmall resortsky massagebreakfast and lunchrueben
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My wife and I used Emily Fischer with VIP Vacations to book a week long all inclusive to the El Dorado Maroma in the Mayan Riveria late 2012. It was a trip to celebrate our anniversary and we had an absolute blast.

The resort was gorgeous - the perfect blend of intimacy and luxury that we wanted. Emily worked with the hotel manager to even ensure we got the *exact* room we wanted (a 4th floor infinity plunge pool with a view to die for).

The food at the resort was fantastic, the best we've had in Mexico and the grounds were intimate and luxurious. The staff was fantastic, friendly and prompt, and we made the rounds on our last day to say goodbye to (and heavily tip) our favorites. The beach is satisfactory, but not the best. I do like that you can walk way out into the surf and just sit out there on the sandbar, but it is not one of the "top 10 beaches in the world" as some travel mags would lead you to believe.

My only possible complaint is that this resort is super intimate and there is basically no nightlife to speak of. We met some people and had a great time with them, but don't go here expecting after hours partying.

We will go back to any El Dorado property in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: 4th floor infinity plunge pools are THE BEST if you can handle the stairs. Postcard view out of the window.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We love Maroma. We have been to this hotel at least 8 times. The service is exceptional except for the front desk. To be fair- it was a very busy time for them and that is my worry. We began visiting Maroma years ago and have returned because of the people there, the location, and the quiet atmosphere. It is really no longer a laid back intimate hotel- it's crowded and busy. Unless you're up by 6am you do not get a beach bed and there is a wait at the restaurants. The front desk personnel don't have the time to really welcome you upon arrival other than getting your credit card for incidentals- nor do they have the time to thank you for your stay and wish you a safe trip home and a invitation to stay again. In the past we have ALWAYS felt welcomed and appreciated from the time we got there until the time we left- this time was a little different. The waiters are amazing- rooms very clean- beach service exceptional-just lacking what used to make us feel special. We are Exotic members (have been for 5 years) but since we haven't upgraded our membership nobody (from Exotic) cares about us or our stay. Diana never once checked on us to see how we were or if we needed anything. We talked to the CHEF more than anyone in management. The food by the way is awesome. We think that our most recent trip there may have been our last. It's sad really because the regular workers (Camacho, Edwin, Ruben, David,Franklin, Victor, Israel, Oscar, Rosy, Estela, Olga, and more) are amazing and work hard to please everyone. The front just seems interested in the business. I do understand that it is a business, but when you start to lose the personal touch that made you popular in the first place it does change things. I know that they will remain busy--but I think that eventually it will become just like every other all-inclusive resort in Mexico and that's just not what we want.

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank dentondiva
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent vacation; I'm glad that you had a enjoyable vacation however I'm truly very sorry that you felt that the resort has lost part of the personal touch that you felt during previous visits.

I can assure you that we are dedicated to our guests and are committed to providing each one of our guests with a superior, Gourmet Inclusive Vacation.

Jose Portocarrero

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Overall decent resort, but nothing special. Food is ok, maybe better than some other places in Mexico, but definitely not 5 star quality. Service is great. I have found though that the people in the hotel industry in Mexico are very polite and service oriented. So not sure this is a good enough measure on its own.

Beach is ok. White sand, but very limited swimming area and man-made dividers that are quite the eye sore.

This place shouldn't be listed as a "luxury" hotel. There's nothing luxurious about it.

Room Tip: "Oceanfront" suites do not have a view of the ocean. They face a pool and a bunch of coconut trees. I had no idea if it was sunny or cloudy when I woke up in the morning. When I asked for a new room, I was told they are "on the ocean".
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank davidn78

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences of your vacation, it was a pleasure to host your holiday however I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the view from your room.

Our Ocean Front rooms are just steps from the beach and are considered Ocean Front. The rooms are promoted on their prime location however not all rooms have clear, unobstructed views of the Ocean. Views are shared with our Lush gardens and Native palm trees.

It is a great disappointment to us that you did not feel the El Dorado Maroma is a luxury resort , we truly believe this is a high quality , luxury boutique hotel and we are dedicated to ensuring our guests receive only the very best in service and quality

Jose Portocarrero

Reviewed 28 March 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at the El Dorado Maroma Beach as a little get-away for some rest and relaxation.

The good:
The resort was very nice, beautiful beach, nicely groomed grounds, and great room (infinity pool room). Beach chairs were comfortable and plentiful (you didn't have to go "reserve" a beach chair early in the morning), there were plenty of towels and drink service on the beach was fair. The pools were nice but the water was a bit too cold this early in the season and we were told by an employee that the pools were "heated" but they didn't warm the water because it was too expensive. The staff was very very helpful and kind.

The OK:
Drinks were pretty good and they had a decent selection of liquor (Bombay Saphire Gin, Havana Club Rum, Herradura Tequila, etc. but not Grey Goose) but you had to ask for it or you would get the bar stock. It did seem, however, that not all bars had the same selection. At one bar we were told to "check back tomorrow" for a particular item. Upon asking for one particular brand one evening we were first told, "No." Then while trying to decide what else to drink the bartender looked in his "special stash" and there was none there either. Then he said, "just a minute", he went away and came back with a bottle a few minutes later. The food was "just OK". I guess it was typical for that type of resort, we've had some better some worse; just nothing spectacular. The room, though nice, was in need of some repairs - don't look too closely and you won't be disappointed. Look closely and you'll probably say, "ewwww."

The Not-so-good:
The resort may have been just a little too quiet for us. The first night we met a nice couple and went for a couple drinks. We went to Rick's Bar and we were the only people there. Which was fine but if you're looking for any type of nightlife - drinks, dancing, music, you shouldn't go here. Not a big complaint because this isn't what we went for but if you're looking for that, even a little bit, don't go here.
I think our room was right above some kind of storage closet for the cleaning staff because we were awakened each morning at 6:00 or 6:30 AM by very loud banging of doors. So much for our attempt to get caught up on sleep while on vacation.
The man who gives free massages on the beach, Daniel, was rather annoying. He offers a 10 minute free massage and after several offers we agreed. First, the lotion that he uses stinks! I don't know how else to say it. We've been to many spas and this stuff doesn't remind you of any spa smell. Then he hounded us the rest of the time we were there asking if we wanted to book a massage. Yes, he hounded us; he just wouldn't leave us alone. One time he even woke us up from our beach nap (remember we didn't get much sleep at night).

Points of confusion: We always seem to be confused by the topic of tipping while at "all-inclusive" resorts. This is the 5th all-inclusive we've been to. The first was a Couples resort in Jamaica, where the staff was prohibited from taking tips. Ever since then it's been confusing to us. Our travel agent maintains that we're paying for an all inclusive and the thought behind it is you don't have to carry your wallet around with you all week. She specifically tells us not to tip. However, we saw many many people tipping, some were tipping for every drink they got. We also saw many people who didn't tip so I think the bottom line is if you want to, I guess it's find but don't feel like you have to. We did get the slight impression that those who tipped might have gotten better service as many times I saw the beach server walk right by without asking if we wanted anything. We also thought some of the bartenders were "working us" with the "I don't have that . . . . wait, let me check . . . . . oh, I do but did you notice that I went out of my way to get it for you" act.

Summary: Overall it was a nice place, very quiet, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 2BeachHoppers
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for your review of your stay at the El Dorado Maroma, it was a pleasure to host your holiday and it is with great regret that we were unable to wow you with our Gourmet experience. we appreciate your feedback and we would like you to know that we have since employeed a new management team and truly feel that the El Dorado Maroma is the best its ever been

Reviewed 27 March 2013

After some time apart, my husband and I needed some time to relax together, and needed the time to be quiet and peaceful. All we wanted was to lay on the beach, read, nap and eat. On the advice of our travel agent, we decided to try out El Dorado Maroma. I was skeptical, because of the hefty price tag.

It was worth EVERY PENNY!

We could not drink our drinks fast enough on the beach by the time the waiter/waitress came by again. We'd even get up to go for a walk, and they would have a drink ready for us when they saw us coming back!

The food - oh, the food! The only restaurant we didn't care for too much was the Tapas restaurant. And the only other comment we had was we wished there was a little more "Mexican" flare to the food. But, oh, it was amazing. And so nice that the portions were a bit smaller, so you could try a few different dishes and share. Papitos for breakfast and lunch is definately a highlight. And all the staff that worked in this restaurant definately went above and beyond, waiters, bartenders and chef's.

The sand at this resort is like nothing else I have ever seen. If you want a place where you can walk out for a while, this is the place. The sand is soft and beautiful. The ocean water is warm and yet refreshing... ah... and when the beach staff see you step out onto the beach, they come running with towels. Such great service, even when you don't expect it!

The beachbeds and 'cabana' type beds are great. They give some relief from the sun. We never had an issue getting a bed, even after

When we arrived, we were dissapointed that the infinity pool room we booked was not available, so we ended up staying in the resort 'next door', the El Dorado Generations building. Supposedly it allows children there, but really, there isn't a lot of programing or anything for kids there, so, when we stayed in there, there was no children. And the room was MASSIVE, and absolutely beautiful. Halfway through the week, we decided to move to an infinity pool suite, which in retrospect, we should have stayed where we were in the generations building, because we didn't use the infinity pool.

It's time to start saving our pennies, because we will definately be back!

Room Tip: The Infinity pool and swim out suites are nice, but the basic room would be best value. This resort is RIGHT on the beach, and because it's a smaller resort, ALL the rooms are within an 15second walk to the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple