“One of my best vacations ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“One of my best vacations ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just returned from ten days at the resort (our second visit) and it was exceptional!! The resort, beach, rooms, food and service were outstanding!! Cannot rave about it enough and we will definitely go back next year, if not sooner! All the staff were professional, gracious and they treated us like royalty. There are four team members that we'd like to recognize, Eduardo, Marcela, Leo and Oscar! Thank you for making our stay fabulous!!

Room Tip: Join the Exotic Travelers Club
3 Thank Julie B
ignacio l, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear guest,

I am very happy that you had an excepcional time with us.

As you said, our staff treat you like royalty because that is exactly what you are for us.

We love to serve, that is what we do best.

Eduardo, Marcela, Leo and Oscar will be more tan happy to welcome you again soon.

gm@eldoradomaroma.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,021)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We just came back from a fantastic 5 night vacation. From the start, the service was excellent. Our room wasn't ready when we checked in so we went and had lunch. After lunch we went back to the front desk and we were shown to our room -- and infinity pool suite. Our room was actually on the Generations side. Since the resort is small it was not an issue. The room was huge and had an awesome view of the ocean/beach and marina.

We had dinner at Papitos the first night. Genaro was the supervisor that night and he was awesome. He got us drinks while we were waiting for the restaurant to open and helped us throughout our stay. Another person we would like to thank was Gustavo. We had a minor problem one night when trying to go to dinner at the Japanese restaurant (while dressed with nice golf shorts and a collared shirt I had some flip flops on) I was told I could not enter with the flops on. A little stunned we left and went over to the Italian buffet by the pool (which was very good) and had dinner there. I mentioned something about the little incident to the manager. Within a few minutes Gustavo found us and apologized for the misunderstanding. He offered to prepare us a private meal that night but we already decided to stay at the Italian Buffett. We did accept his offer for dinner the next night. The private dinner at the Japanese place the next night was great. I really appreciate that Gustavo and his staff went above and beyond to make up for that small problem. Gustavo also made sure that we had breakfast delivered at our room
at 430 am (it was actually delivered about 10 minutes early) on the morning we left. Both Gustavo and Genaro made our stay memorable.

The service at the beach and pool was great. Reuben and Gaby were both excellent and were always available to help on the beach and at the pool.

Luis at Lomas Travel was great. He helped us with an excursion and our private transfer to the airport was on time.

Now to the one con of the trip and why we didn't give 5 stars -- the food. Breakfast was great, we only ate at Papitos. Lunch was good as well. Dinner was average. The steak night at Papitos was bad. Very limited options and the ribeye that they did have was mediocre. The Japanese food was pretty very good but as I mentioned before we had a special dinner. Since this place labeled itself as Gourmet Inclusive we were expecting dinners to be amazing -- they were simply OK.

We met the new executive chef Jonathan. They guy was always around. He must be working 70 hours a week!! He was very interested in what the guests had to say and seemed to genuinely care about the product his kitchens were making. It seemed to me that he recognized that the food was not quite where it should be and he was working to improve it. We appreciated his honesty and the time he took to speak with us throughout our stay.

Overall, we had an amazing vacation. The employees and service was really outstanding.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tashannon
ignacio l, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us to serve you and be part of your vacations.

Gustavo and Genaro are gems on our team, I will be sure to share this review with them. Thank you very much for mention them and remember them.

As you said we are improving, always. I am very sorry for not having met your expectations regarding food, Johnnatan our Excecutive Chef is always taking care of every detail and making changes, improvements and creating in order to continue offering to our dear guest what they deserve. I am sure you could experience those changes and improvements if you return to give us a second chance.

We hope to have again the pleasure to serve you.

General Manage
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I'm trying not to come across like I work for these people but this is a great place for any type of vacation from a honeymoon (which we were on) to a couples vacation with friends. Great resort the room was nice and spacious we had a infinity pool suite, it had an outdoor shower, king bed, 2 sofas, mini beer stocked with beer water and sodas and it had a lot of space.
I will give you my few cons, we were on the second floor and wanted to be higher for an ocean view but when we checked in the resort was pretty full and they offered to move us later In the week.
We didn't really use the infinity pool we got in one afternoon but mainly because it was on the balcony, the pools aren't very private.
We wanted some of the house wine in our room and we couldn't get it without paying for it even though it's all inclusive so we just walked to the bar. Also we wanted to some chips and guacamole at the pool and they couldn't do that but they have rules.

Pros
Great beach with an awesome sand bar that you can walk out to and swim around with fish and corals.
Great pool with swim up bars and plenty of seats in the water and out.
Great help, the bar tenders, waitress/ waiters , and other help were very good and got you what you wanted and usually quick. Although the beach took a little longer there wasn't a bar on the beach so they had to walk up a bit. But everyone is friendly and willing to make you any kind of drink or any thing they can make.
Food is good wouldn't say great but way above a normal all inclusive.
Activities there are a lot of things to do from pool or beach volleyball, to dance lessons, bingo, trivia and many more and actually they were all fun, with prizes for some of them like a bottle of tequila.
They have people on site who are willing to set up tours any any activity you want they do cost more but they were fun.
Also I felt safe the whole time and didn't worry about eating or drinking water or anything local it was all filtered water and clean veggies, so go have fun and make great memories like we did.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard H
Dear guest,

I am very happy that you created unforgettable memories in this Paradise.

Thank you very much for having gave us the opportunity to be part of your vacations and make you feel at home.

After pros and cons, I hope you enjoyed the time you stayed at EDM and consider to come back.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

the rooms were excellent and the air conditioning worked a treat, Overall the beach staff were very friendly as were most waiters in all restaurants, the Italian, Mexican and Asian restaurants were of a high standard of service and quality of food very good with understanding if you didn't like something the chefs would go out of their way to produce you something different, which was nice.Pappitos restaurant were breakfast and lunch was served was good, but the service for the evening meal was shocking, they only had 2 waiters on for serving possibly 15-20 tables In 10 days the restaurant was open twice, the first time was a steak and fish menu with 8 choices of main meal but it took 2 hours to get served for 2 courses.The standard of waitering was poor with evrybody running round like headless chickens. i complained to the executive chef who thanked me for my comments and knew they would have problems that night as it was their first night of opening, we decided 4 days later to try it again, thinking they will have taken on board my comments, however this was worse. To start the menu had gone from 8 main courses to 2 with only one steak and salmon on the menu, we arrived at 7.10 for the meal and finished our soup by 8-45 which was Luke warm, it had obviously been left out after being served as you could see the turine was piping hot, we eventually finished our 2 courses by 9.20. I again complained to the executive chef who gave me another story of they had run out of food and had to go to a sister hotel down the road and ferry food in by car stored in their botts of the car, which in that heat and humidity didnt seem good, i told him i wouldn't open it until the staff were trained, i told him for breakfast you have 5 waiters serving coffee, tea and fruit juice but for an a la carte meal you only have 2, I got the impression the executive chef just paid lip service to you.Also we felt at night there was no comfortable seating with an outside bar the 2 bars in use were the pool bars or ricks bar which is indoors, the seating at night was the same in the day to deal with people in swimming gear it would have been nice to have a cushion.
To all English people beware our American and Canadian friends are used to tipping for everything and do , but consequently all the staff without exception are waiting for tips from the English when you have paid all inclusive the idea is you don't carry money with you in the hotel, if your strong your ok just walk off.
Overall apart from a few things the location setting and appearance of the hotel you couldn't fault, and everyone were very friendly and always smiling, the beach was brilliant you could walk for miles with a little marina for fishing trips and catamaran rides , as well as jet skies, speedboats and para gliding
would we go back yes we would and would hope that the standard of service in papitos matched up to the high standard in the other 3 restaurants

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank forest8081
Dear guest,

We appreciate all your honest comments and great words regarding our service and accomodations.

Regarding the food and beverage, I would like to appologize for not having met your expectations. We certainly had problems sometimes with the daily operation but we have to look the way to provide the same service always. Thank you for share your opinions and comments with us giving us the opportunity to improve for your next visit and for other visitors.

We will look forward to serve you again if you can give us another chance.

Best regards,

Gerneal Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

As others have said, the service is top-notch -- this is what will bring us back to El Dorado Maroma.

Jonas and the other servers at Papitos made each breakfast special. Eating lunches poolside at Sabores was always a treat (and the guacamole is my favorite ever!). Even when we had a large group for dinner, we were accommodated as quickly as a table became available, and all of our off-the-wall requests were handled!

Gabby did a great job of keeping us pampered on our day-beds, while the entertainment staff always kept us having fun when we wanted to be more active -- water volleyball is so much fun!

Even though we had pre-purchased all of our excursions through our travel agent, Luis @ Lomas was very good with making sure we had everything on the right days -- like moving our parasailing to an earlier date so that when it was cancelled due to high winds we were still able to reschedule and enjoy it.

Just a thought on the meals... I can see why foodies will say that the phrase "Gourmet Inclusive" is a stretch, but we loved everything... well, except (strangely enough) the food at Mexican Night. But, we ordered room service that night which was fabulous -- quick, fresh, and everything still at the correct temperature. I don't consider myself to be a gourmet diner but I am the one who enjoys bolder flavors over what my wife prefers. There was never a time when both of us couldn't find something on a menu or at one of the buffet-style options. Mexican pizza for her & a guacamole burger for me. Tempura shrimp for her & teppanyaki mix for me. Onion, mushroom and cheese omelette for her & add in four kinds of peppers and some bacon on the side for me. Very good food, although maybe not "gourmet" for those who have a more refined set of taste buds.

Our candlelight beach dinner was great -- we even picked out the menu ourselves ahead of time. And when we were done, we had our in-room jacuzzi tub waiting for us, filled with bubble bath and topped with rose petals . Very romantic! Combine this with the four-post bed and the canopy... good stuff!

The beach was fantastic! Soft powder for sand and it never got hot. The water was really quite clear & great to look out on. For us, having the marina next door was perfect. Unlike many others who had to travel from other hotels, we were able to go on our excursions simply by walking a few extra steps. Think of it this way, for our 9:30 AM parasailing, we ate breakfast at 8:00, walked the beach for a few minutes, went to our room to get changed into our bathing suits, then walked over to the marina to be early for our 9:30 time-slot. No shuttle bus, no waiting around to get back to our resort, just convenience and fun! Perfect!

Room Tip: Some construction is going on now, so the rooms farther away from the water may not be a good choice...
2 Thank Nancy C
Middletown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The overall experience at El Dorado Maroma was a good one. The service is very good and majority of the help are really excellent. We loved the fact it was relatively small with 98 or so rooms. The beach was beautiful but we were surprised by fact there was what I would call a lagoon you needed to wade through to then get to the main area to swim in the gulf. The lunch choices for food were really high quality and very good. We stayed for 5 nights and while the dinner food service options was good - the choices were bit limited on restaurants. There was very good Mexican and Asian cuisine but we felt the Italian cuisine was just ordinary. If we had stayed one week instead of 5 days we would have gone tired of the dinner choices.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeC7895
ignacio l, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear guest,

I am very sorry for not having met your expectations.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your recognition of our staff's service.

We hope to have another chance to serve you in the future if you can give us another chance.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was our second visit, and the first as Exotic members. We really enjoyed the benefits associated with the membership. Our two daughters and their boyfriends joined us this year, and they loved the resort, as well. There is a nice mix of ages (adults, of course!), and the size of the resort is perfect. We hope it stays this way! The young adults enjoyed two days of excursions, and also kept busy at the resort with the kayak tours (Comancho is great!), Spanish lessons, and the spa. The yoga instructor was also great. But it is also a perfect place to completely relax and do very little!
The best aspects of this resort are the beach (amazing, as everyone says), and the staff, as many also mention. Our personal butler Leo was very personable and helpful, and we were so sad to leave Brisa and Javier and all the amazing staff at Papito's. Brisa is such an asset to the resort, and we hope she never leaves! Rene at Bar 24 and Estela as server were most entertaining and accommodating. Again, great service everywhere.
We love the breakfasts and lunches at Papitos, but found the dinners a little hit and miss this time. They seem to be changing things up a bit, and adding a new restaurant, so hopefully this will improve down the road. We still love the resort and will return whenever we can.

1 Thank rk189
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,286 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!