“Pampered Perfection!”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from celebrating our honeymoon at El Dorado Maroma. I have never been treated so well or pampered like that! Everyone there knew us by name within two days. I have a bad back and needed to see a chiropractor the third day there. Our concierges, Alex and Noemi, among other staff bent over backwards to find me a doctor in Playa del Carmen so that I wouldn't have to take a taxi all the way to Cancun. The chiropractor was American, which helped with communicating my problem (sacrum out of place). Throughout our stay staff members asked me how my back was feeling and if they could do anything to help me out it make me more comfortable. So impressive!

The restaurants were phenomenal! Gourmet and delicious. I am a"meat and potatoes" kind of girl and was worried that I wouldn't enjoy the food. However, the food was great. The presentation was like food I've only seen in magazines. The Italian restaurant, Mio, was my favorite. The manager, Theodoro, was so charming. For those of you who are sushi fans, the Asian restaurant, Kiyoko, will make you very happy! Part of our honeymoon package was an candlelight dinner on the beach. Amazing! Our waiter, Ruben, was adorable! It was a perfect evening! Our waiters, Eroin and Javier, at Papitos were fantastic. Javier made us the neatest little motorcycle out of a Coke can for our son.

We enjoyed some of the best excursions thanks to help from Luis, the Lomas travel agent. He arranged for us to have our own personal tour guide for Tulum. Roberto was well educated in the Mayan culture and history. He took us scuba diving at The Grand Cenotes, too. He took us shopping in Playa and dropped us off at Xcaret for the rest of the day. Xcaret is a MUST for anyone who travels to the Yucatan! We swam with the dolphins next door to the resort and had a personal tour guide for snorkeling too.

Don't be fooled by the small size and quaint atmosphere at El Dorado. I've been to huge resorts before that were really nice, but this place can't be beat!!! The beach butlers will take care of you like you are family! There were the sweetest little geckos and lizards throughout the resort, peeking out of shells. It was so sweet. The resort is big on aromatherapy too. It smells heavenly. They change the scent out on a rotating basis, and every scent was a true treat. The turn down service each evening led us to sweet surprises each evening...adorable towel sculptures, candies, bubble baths drawn with rose petals and flowers!

I cannot wait to return. I wish I could post a thousand pictures. I look forward to going again next summer and staying on the over water huts soon to be built this fall.

Love love love!!!! :-)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paigeanddarrell
There are newer reviews for El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We just returned from a great 8 day trip. After the initial shock of the small hotel, we began to meet people around the pool, mostly from Texas with a few others thrown in. The staff gave great service and quickly knew us by name!! Special praise for beach butlers: Gabby with the amazing smile (always) and the big hugs and great service and Jairo. Diego served our drinks with a smile and always an invitation to add Captain to diet coke. We could have stayed on the beach bed all day.

Food at Papitos for breakfast an lunch was fantastic -- great choices, something new everyday and fabulous staff: Hostess Cinthia and waiters: Oscar, Jonas, Eroin, Javiar!!! Papitos should be open for dinner as well, but isn't.

Enrique was a great bartender with personality. Some weren't. We'll be trying to make his "chocolate cake" shots. Suck on a lime, then drink a shot of vanilla vodka, crème de cocoa and a splash of Frangelica.

Our biggest complaint was dinner -- only three restaurants with good food but slow service. The Italian restaurant had the best service. Larisario (sp) was great with back up from Teodoro.

We have been to almost all of the Karismas. The Maroma and Azul Beach would be at the top of our list.

The time share staff seemed pushier than we've experienced. There was a lot of discussion about the wide differences of what people paid for various levels. Walk away and negotiate if you are interested. The price will come down!!

Room Tip: We were on second floor of the original section "mi Hotelito." The room was nice with a hi...
1  Thank Keith K
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We just returned from 10 days at EDM and it was beyond great. When the only thing you'd change is that the room safes aren't digital, that isn't bad. The food was gourmet quality and outstanding with great choices and creativity. The staff were all super helpful and friendly, grounds and beach were amazing. We will be staying here again in the future. We never left the grounds aside for the chichenitza trip that was long but worth it. Thanks to everyone who made the stay wonderful, Marco, Adan, Chef Raul, Daniel, the spa staff, Rene, just everyone made us feel welcomed and took care of our needs.

Room Tip: We took a top floor honeymoon suite for a quiet room.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I selected El Dorado Maroma with the help of our travel agent Tracee Williams with Destinations and it was exactly what we were looking for. We booked a standard room and were upgraded when booking with the honeymoon package to a 3rd or 4th floor infinity suite. Upon arrival they told us that even though we were confirmed for our room, it was been given away, so they offered to upgrade us once more to the swim up suites (room 701). It was a nice room but not much privacy and not what we had set our hearts on for 3 months. We wanted a view of the ocean. Seeing I was upset, upon arrival to our room the front desk called and told us tomorrow they had another room opening up, an even better upgrade: the presidential suite (room 1412) with a wonderful view of the ocean. The only downfall was that it was right next to construction going on right next to the marina, but I must say it didn't bother us one bit. They are the quietest construction crew I've ever seen. They definitely treated us right while we were there! The wait staff is excellent. Go to the swim up bar by Sabores @ lunch/Mio @ dinner and let Enrique make your drinks. Best bartender! Papitos is the spot for breakfast and lunch, although I will say room service is quite good. When at Papitos, make sure to let Johan be your waiter. Very classy, hard working, and always has a smile on. He makes the experience that much better!

The beach was soft and white with clear blue waters. They have done a great job putting artificial reefs out to block the harsh waves. We heard rumors they are planning to build villas out into the ocean, which I must say doesn't sound great. It would take away from the absolute perfect view this place has to offer.

We went into Playa on Wednesday via the free transfer the resort offers. It's great shopping but you definitely get bugged a lot to come into the shops. We didn't buy anything but it was a fun experience. The other excursion we did was the "ocean safari" which takes you out on jet skis for about 30 minutes, then snorkeling in two different spots: a reef and a sinkhole. Our guide was very good and the reef has some beautiful spots. The sinkhole is neat to see as well. Don't do this excursion if you aren't well versed in riding jet ski's.

All in all, this place is a great spot for relaxation and seclusion. The food could be a little more diverse. Kyoko, the Asian restaurant is the best spot for dinner with Papitos taking crown for breakfast. It is a tie for lunch between Sabores and Papitos for lunch. It is all so fresh though. The entertainment isn't a whole lot but you should know that going in. It is however very entertainting if you are looking for something on a particular night. I will definitely come back to this place when traveling to Playa Del Carmen. I don't think anything could have beat it!

1  Thank zpianalto
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My new husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at El Dorado Maroma... and we had a WONDERFUL time! The most impressive customer service every day which really makes you in instant vacation mode. Every last person on the property is very friendly, works hard and pays attention to detail. We would like to give specific thanks to the Papitos crew Cinthya, Javier, Jonas, Eroin, Oscar and all of the chefs for greeting us with big smiles every morning. When you ask how they are, they always say "excellente!" The pool bar guys Diego, Enrique, Franklin, Amy, Antonio all took such care of us and had a new mojito ready before the last one was finished :) They were also super friendly and helped us with our elementary Spanish... they love serving up the tequila! Luis the representative for the travel agency was super cool... he showed us all of the different things we could do while we were there and gave us great tips for making them a fun day. He was always checking in with us to see how we liked our excursions and always made a point to say hi! Our bellman Santonio busted his butt to make sure we had our things on time and was very professional and friendly. Our personal concierge Marco went out of his way to make sure we were really having a good time and set up our romantic honeymoon dinner! He was very personable and down to earth and always professional! At the pool Camacho really put the party together... he led the water aerobics, pool volleyball, bingo... kept us all busy having fun while we had a few too many margaritas!!! All of the management staff were great too! The management at Papitos and the front desk are very professional and go out of their way to make sure that all of your needs are met.

The food is five star quality... seriously every meal was so delicious and the presentation was beautiful. We brought back barracuda meat from a fishing trip on the marina and Juan Carlos cooked it up with an amazing presentation... all included!

We loved being right on the beach... no kids allowed... meeting new friends at the pool every day... great service... great food.. marina right next door... we will DEFINITELY be back for our anniversary!!! We feel like we found our new vacation family and we cant wait to come back to EDM!!

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for a room with an infinity pool and it was perfect! The room was huge, and b...
2  Thank rachel a
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We just returned from a wonderful week at EDM. This was our second trip booking with Melissa at Beach Bum Vacation and there's not a single reason why we wouldn't do it again. Every thing about the trip was fantastic. She had us taken care of from start to finish. It's nice know that if something happened down at the resort she was an email away to help sort everything out.

After arriving in the airport we took our private transfer to the resort (highly recommended to save time). We had reserved an infinity pool and they asked if we would be okay in a swim-up pool suite instead (there wasn't any infinity pool suites available at the time). We agreed for only that night because we definitely wanted the infinity pool. The swim up room was nice but it was all the way in the back near the construction (building 7). The next morning we got moved to room 321 which was perfect. The only room that would have been better would be one floor higher (331) which would have been above the palm trees with a perfect view of the ocean.

The food at the resort was great. The best we've had at an all-inclusive. Some of the menu descriptions don't do them any favors, but once you actually order it - it's fantastic. We wished they had another dining option for dinner as meals got a little repetitive being there for a week. We enjoyed the Mexican and Italian the most. The Japanese was good - it was just so hot in there.

Papitos is the spot for breakfast and lunch. The daily lunch themes were great. Taco bar was our favorite. Paella, skewers, fish market were great as well. We didn't make it to the Burger and BBQ days.

The worst of our meals was the dinner on the beach. Steak was supposed to be medium and ended up being beyond well-done. We would have sent it back but the waiter was gone for 15-20min after he dropped the entrees. If it's part of your trip - great, but I wouldn't shell out the $$ for it. No way.

The service is second to none. Every single person in the resort cares about how your stay is. Some standouts for us was Jairo (beach butler), Marco (concierge), Alejandro (bartender), Andres and Camacho (activity team), Emilio (bartender).

The beach is the best we've experienced. The sand is so soft and white. I've read the reviews on here, but it doesn't do it justice. Walk out 50 yards and crystal clear water up to your waist. Awesome!

We love how it's so small and intimate. 100 rooms and at 45% occupancy = really personalized service.

Some of the things I wish I could change are...

- Update the Spa and Gym.
- Add another restaurant
- Have another bar that isn't a swim-up bar. It was a little awkward ordering drinks from a swim-up bar when you aren't in the pool.
- I wish there was an area to gather to have drinks before/after dinner that got a nice breeze from the ocean. There are a lot of palm trees the block the wind and make it extra hot/humid.
- Rick's Bar doesn't seem to get much action. They would be much better off having something a little closer to the beach with an ocean view. It feels so dark and shut off from the rest of the resort.

In no way, shape or form are these bad things. Just a wish-list if you will...

If I could make a complaint about anything down there it was the Spa people. They pester you day after day after day. Come up and start talking to you when you're reading or sleeping. I'm sure the resort makes a lot of $$ with spa appointments, but they need to ease up asking people if they want massages.

All things considered it was a great vacation. Kudos again to Melissa and Beach Bum Vacation for taking care of us!

Room Tip: Building 3 or 4 on the 3rd or 4th floor. Better view and breeze.
22  Thank ChiBears3454
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I recently got back from our second annual Fourth of July trip to El Dorado Maroma. The place is fantastic, primarily because of the service. Everyone that works there is super friendly and helpful. I need to give a particular shout out to Jonas Cortez, one of the waiters at the breakfast spot. He went above and beyond for my husband and I and made such an impression on us. He treated us as though we were friends coming to his house for breakfast and greeted us every day of our stay with a great smile! The concierge, Marco, was also really nice - very attentive and helpful. In addition to the service, you can't beat the excellent location and beautiful beach. Looking forward to next year! Signed Bridget and Tyler

• Stayed: July 2014
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!