“Awesome resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Schertz, Texas
“Awesome resort”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If you want a vacation where you are treated like Kings and Queens, then El Dorado Maroma is IT!!! Can't say enough about the hospitality provided by ALL the staff beginning with our awesome Butler Karen, Luis our Lomas travel agent and all of the staff. Diana at the concierge made us feel very welcomed upon our arrival and from that point on it was truly paradise. The bar staff were all amazing so a shout out to Rene, Alex, Aucension, Eber, Pedro and many many more. Another shout out to Andres from the entertainment staff!!! Truly a vacation to remember and many more to come.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the honeymoon suite and it was fabulous. The Royal suite is great too.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Belinda G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a blast for 5 days here in February! They staff was above and beyond friendly...by the time we left, they all knew our names and asked us to come back to celebrate our 1st anniversary. I would recommend this property to anyone looking for seclusion, yet many adventures just a walk away, like para-sailing, dolphin swim, and much more!

Room Tip: Grab a suite with a pluge pool! Its worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TaaroBaap
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Best hotel ever!!! We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the El Dorado Maroma where we were celebrating our honeymoon. This hotel is set on one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The sand is so white and the sea is so many different shades of blue. There is a small island that you can walk, yes walk, out to, and you can swim further out from there if you choose. The staff work endlessly to clear the small amounts of seaweed that wash on shore daily and constantly rake the sand to make it as easy to walk on as possible.

We were in room 341 which has the most magnificent views, you can see all the way over to Cozumel on a clear day and we will miss waking up to an endless view of the Caribbean Sea each morning. We used the outdoor shower everyday, something else we will really miss! The private infinity pool was fantastic and we used it regularly. And every day our room looked fantastic, thanks to Lucero, who surprised us with an array of towel animals and petals on our bed. Thank you! Even though the room was 3 floors up with no lift, the views and privacy made it all worth while.

We loved eating at Papitos restaurant - this was easily our favourite. The food display at breakfast had something for everyone and I loved the fresh cooked omelettes prepared with whatever ingredients you gave the chef. The themed daily lunches were amazing. It's a toss up between the burger boutique and the taco bar for our favourite lunch trip! Every morning we were greeted with a wonderful smile from the beautiful Cinthia which always set our day off well. We will definitely miss Oscar who made us laugh so hard everyday and also Eroin who could always persuade us with a cheeky morning tequila. We will miss you all terribly! I also have to mention Jonas, Javier and Ivette who were also wonderful.

At night, our favourite place to eat was Mio, the Italian. We enjoyed the linguine quatro fromagio so much that we have taken the recipe home with us (thank you Carlos!). Teodoro, Victor and Lizandro were fantastic and we will miss their evening chats and wonderful service!

Our absolute best dinners were the romantic dinners on the beach. So good we did it twice. The food was fabulous and the views sublime. Ruben is an absolute star and an asset to the hotel. He made sure we wanted for nothing, even going as far as creating a private viewing platform on the sky deck for the fire show on the beach. He is just wonderful! Thank you for creating two of the most wonderful evenings for us!

After the first beach dinner we were treated to breakfast in bed as part of our honeymoon package. This can only be described as a feast. Fulgencio and Andres even went to the bother to set up our table outside for us so we could enjoy this on our balcony with the wonderful views. Thank you!

We also regularly used room service. What a treat that was! I can highly recommend the club sandwich, the spinach and bacon salad and we loved a hot chocolate before bed. Everything came within half an hour and was always delivered with a smile (even after having climbed 3 flights of stairs). They were even kind enough to bring me a plate of my favourite linguine quatro formagio one night, which isn't on the room service menu!

We spent most of our days at the pool at bar 24. Rene, Pedro Luis, Karen, Emilio and Alejandro were wonderful. They always knew what we wanted to drink before we even did. We will definitely miss the mudslides and the margaritas! Phillipe was also on hand to help with my Spanish while I painted many of his beautiful ornaments to take home for presents. Gaby was also a very happy and friendly face to see around here, making sure you had everything you wanted and always smiling. I will miss you! Amy, part of the activities team, was also so lovely and friendly. She would always seek us out for the question of the day as she knew I was desperate to win (which unfortunately I didn't...)

As part of our honeymoon package we were offered 2 for 1 massages. We took this up and had relaxing massages on the sky deck at the beach. These were with Whilmar and Erika who were SO good, we went back a further two times. It's only a shame we couldn't take them home with us!

We booked 2 excursions through Luis at Lomas travel, even though we travelled with thomsons. He was wonderfully helpful and not pushy in the slightest, and even got us better deals than what we would've got through our own travel agent. We booked the horse riding and the xoximilco boat trip. Both of which I would highly recommend (but make sure you have a free day to recover after xoximilco as the tequila is free flowing...)

I must say, as beautiful as the resort is, it is the staff that truly make this a wonderful hotel. I would like to say a special thank you to Alex and Noemi as our personal concierges who were so friendly and helpful with any request we had, no matter how small. Also to Alex in the lobby and Fidel and Jaime in the restaurants. But every single staff member makes an effort to say hello and check you are ok.

This has been a holiday of a lifetime for us and we will definitely be back. The only requests I can put forward is more choice at the evening meals as we did feel limited over the two weeks. But it's a small thing as I must say we have definitely been well fed!

Thanks again,

Susanne & John
(Scotland)

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Susanne A
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 26 July 2014

First of all let me say this. I am a blue collar worker and don't take luxury vacations. I have been married to the same woman for 31 years and the only other "luxury" vacation was our honeymoon. This was a surprise 30th anniversary trip for my wife and I saved for 2 years to pay for it. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! The staff was OUTSTANDING! I can't stress this enough because they were all so caring and made sure every aspect of the stay was excellent. Top shelf drinks and excellent food. NO RESERVATIONS NEEDED FOR DINNER! Never had to wait for a table. Beautiful beach with very attentive beach butlers. Never had a problem finding a beach bed. Did I say the staff is outstanding? WOW! After about 2 days they will all know your name and what drinks you like. The best rooms with the best views and absolute privacy are the 4th floor infinity pool rooms in the 300, 400, or 500 buildings. I got the room for the view and the privacy and did not think we would even use the infinity pool. Boy was I wrong. Used that pool everyday! All stairs to the 4th floor, no elevator, no big deal. Helps to work off some of the extra pounds put on by the excellent food. Again, the staff made this a very special 30th wedding anniversary and my wife was stunned the entire stay. Stayed 11 days in November 2013. Saving to go back!

PS Yes this is all inclusive but TIP YOUR WAIT STAFF! They work so hard for you and deserve to be tipped.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Chris H
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Landed on this unique place by chance. We had originally booked on a larger 140 room hotel, Azul Beach by Karisma, but it was oversold. With apologies and a room upgrade to a Junior Suite swim in, we checked into the smaller, 30 rooms or so, family oriented, Generations Maroma by Karisma for a full week stay.
The property itself is not glamorous or pretentious, it is though well maintained, the rooms are spacious and filled up with all the necessary amenities. Everything works, and Karisma made sure that you have access to pretty much everything that you need while you are at= your chambers. The gardening is beautiful. The pool area is large enough and has sufficient space for toddlers and young swimmers. The beach is distinctive and situated right beside the Maroma Marine which adds to its beauty and uniqueness. Not to many hotels in Cancun or Riviera Maya have access to such a neat, calm and beautiful beach area.
What really makes this hotel and your vacation experience so special is the utter and complete dedication of the entire staff and personnel to fulfill your needs and pamper you and your entire crew. They all really try and go the extra mile. At times it may even seem overwhelming to a few, but if you relax and appreciate their authenticity then I assure you that you will be delighted to be there.
My wife pointed out during our vacation that each and every one of the hotel's staff ends up their service with the phrase "it is my pleasure", and I do believe them. Indeed it is.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank carlos f
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited El Dorado Maroma after going on a week cruise. My husband and I both agree that this portion of our honeymoon was blew our cruise out of the water!

After a 10 minute winding trail, we we were greeted by a happy and friendly doorman who grabbed our bags and provided us with cold towels. Alex at the front desk checked us in. Once he found out it was our honeymoon, he gave us a complimentary honeymoon package! Free wifi for the week, dinner on the beach and a couples massage. He also provided us with a couple glasses of champagne as we checked in.

Our doorman took our bags that we had and brought them to our room, as another friendly gentleman gave us a tour of the resort. It was small, quiet, and peaceful. All the staff are very happy and greeted us as we walked through. We were completely blown away!

We finally got to our infinity pool suite and we (once again) were floored. The room is quite spacious, offering a living area, dining area, his and her sinks in the washroom, an outdoor shower (as well as an indoor shower) and a large closet.

Seeing as it was a hot day and we were travelling all day, we took no time to take a dip in our pool. It was very refreshing and by no means cold at all. We used our infinity pool every day to take a break from the heat.

This resort has 3 restaurants for dinner. An Italian, a Mexican and a Japanese restaurant. Our favourite was the Japanese restaurant. The sushi, teriyaki and desert (banana spring roll with ice cream and chocolate sauce) were impeccable!

For breakfast and lunch, the buffet at Papitos is the way to go, offering daily themed specials for lunch.

Every morning I woke up around 8am to grab myself a bed. It seems as though 8am was a bit early as I was always the first. My husband loved these beds. So comfy and provided just about the right amount of shade yet still able to catch some sun!

The beach is beautiful! Very quiet and the water is very calm. We spent lots of time in the ocean.. More so than the pool!

The marina is beside the resort, which makes it very convenient if you choose to partake in any activities. Louis at Lomas Travel, the on-resort tour company, took care of us as we wanted to go parasailing. Thank you!

The service at El Dorado Maroma is absolutely amazing. From the bar staff to the kitchen staff, to the wonderful housekeeping staff, and everyone else in between. Thank you El Dorado Maroma for blowing our expectations out of the water and making our honeymoon truly unforgettable!

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank citygirl0827
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

First let me say, please discard any negative comments anyone else says about El Dorado Maroma, as we don’t know how anyone could complain about this place, yes maybe something wasn't perfect, broken or quite to your satisfaction, nothings perfect & this place strives for perfection & will do anything to get it!
Me & my girl friend chose El Dorado Maroma as it looked beautiful, as it was an All Inclusive, Adults only, Gourmet Hotel as we wanted something a bit special, where we could relax in peace, but all are expectations were well & truly exceeded.
As you pull of the main highway the entrance is not the grandest & very understated compared to some of the Hotel resorts along that stretch, but once you've made the journey down the long drive through the jungle & then veers off to the right into the front entrance, straight away you see all the palm trees & you notice how clean & tidy the hotel is, your welcomed with open arms to your New Home! After the welcome meeting you’re given a tour around the resort then to your room.
We had room 107 9/10 (the block directly in front as your exit the reception) A deluxe beach front suite with balcony sea view, a nice spacious airy room with a queen bed, nice bathroom, not the biggest but very adequate, well stocked fridge with beer water Sprite Coke a cola/diet crisps pretzels & chocolate bars refilled every day, a percolator for coffee, I need decaf coffee which after one phone call was brought up to the room with fresh milk with in 10 minutes & refilled every day, Roof fan & aircon unit (very much need) & plenty of storage space with a safe to lock up your valuables, the only two problems with the room was the shower wasn't very good & was hard to find the right temperature & could take 5mins to sort plus the hair drier wasn’t great but neither the end of the world! Whilst are stay in our room, the room was kept clean & tidy by the maid. She did a great job cleaning up after us, leaving us towel sculptures & birthday cake for my birthday.
The grounds of EDM 10/10 are amazing & a true look of paradise with all its palm trees, plants & grass, very very clean & pampered every day & kept looking perfect, are whole stay at EDM we never saw any mosquitoes or got bit once, we was amazed, the pool & swim up bars were kept very clean, there are two pools, the main pool which have all the activities & more lively in the day with small one for relaxing, drink & watch sport on the large TV, Then on to the beach much the same, very clean & tidy, racked every morning around 6:30am even cleaning up the washed up sea weed, the sand is soft & gold with crystal clear water, plenty of the standard beach beds & some very nice four poster bed along the hedge line there wasn't enough of these beds & unless you were up between 6-6:30am to place an item on one you would miss out & to are anger I was up at 5am so took the short walk to the beach to place are towels on one to find they had been removed by security so we came down to find someone else on the bed for our last day, I wasn’t happy, but after complaining it was all resolved when we had one of the spare reserved unused bed made up for us which made things better, one other thing I would think some may not like is the sand bags out at sea, not the best looking but they do there job to calm the tides down which makes the water close to the beach very calm & very pleasant to bathe in.
Now the food 10/10, wow at breakfast your welcomed & shown to your seat at Papitos, the waiters serve you your selected drinks & you head up to the food bar to get your select of breakfast with all kinds of things covered or if not they will make it for you with out any problems, Papitos also does Lunch & has a different theme every day from Burgers, Fish, Steak, BBQ but would accommodate any request if possible, also you have the Sabores out door section which does some very nice casual food, no need to change your swim suit for a ball gown here, just rock up & eat some great lunch time food from tacos to grilled fish some days & burgers with the main Sabores restaurant do your more gourmet food but you need to be a bit smarter dressed , at lunch its pizza & many amazing Italian dishes then at dinner it was all full high end restaurant serving only the best selected dishes, this was the same for the other two restaurants Mio Cuccina great food, lots we hadn’t ever tried but amazing & very well presented then next door Kiyoko which served Oriental Cuisine & was are favorite place to eat, very good tasting food & very well presented, & restaurants if you was still hungry you could start again or pick as many selections as you wish & is never a problem, but if you don’t fancy eating out the room service menu isn’t to bad just for quiet night in your room if you've had a long day & once again if there is anything you want to eat or drink they will do there best to make sure they can attend to your requirements & is with you at your room with in 30 minutes.
The Entertainment at the hotel was great in the day the staff put on Volley ball games, water polo, Kayaking out to the reef, bingo with chess & ping pong At night there’s a Fire show on the beach, Singers 2 days a week Ana being one & she is amazing a must see, a Mariachi band on the island, Casino night so there is plenty to get involved with if you chose.
The Staff, to us this is what made the holiday very very special, every member of staff make you feel very welcome at EDM & says “Halo” morning noon & night, they are never to busy for you & as said above will do anything to help make your stay the best holiday it can possibly be, they wait on you hand & foot all day & are always happy & smiling, I don’t understand how some guests can be rude to the staff or miserable whilst staying there!
Are favorite staff members whilst we stayed, who need a massive thank you for making it special are……………..
Pedro, Emilio, Alejandro & Karen for the small pool, Oscar, Javier, Cinthyn, Jonas & Eroin from Papitos, Paul from the Mio Cuccina Italiana, Amy & Adan from the beach, Ruben who does the meals on the beach, Sara are maid & Ana are concierge & there are many names we have forgotten.
As for excursions, wait till you get there & see Luis @ Lomas Travel as he will save you money & going off site wasting time travelling as we booked a fishing trip through Thomson & we travelled 45 minutes when we could have done it from the marina on site, we went & swam with Dolphins which is on site & was amazing & a must do.
If your think of going here don’t hesitate, get it booked!
We stayed here from July 6th to 16th & the hotel was 45% full, perfect for us & was 32c average not to bad.
Thanks EDM From Nick & Gemma 

Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,556 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!