“Incredibly relaxing and pampering. LOVED IT.”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Greeley, CO
“Incredibly relaxing and pampering. LOVED IT.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

This was our first visit to the Riviera Maya - and we loved it. We chose the Maroma because we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary, and we really needed some R&R. And we SO got it.

The hotel is small and intimate - the wait staff knows your name, and you get to know other travelers because there are not many people there, even when it is full. The hotel was 98% full at one point during our stay, and you couldn't even tell. The beach has maybe 5-7 people on it, there is usually 1-2 people in the pool, there is never a wait for beach butler service or at the swim up bar, sometimes you wonder, "Where are all the people?" With so many wonderful nooks and crannies, the resort just absorbs people and oozes relaxation and quiet. Ahhhh.....

We never had to wait for a table at breakfast or lunch and always ate outside under the palapas. We only waited one night for a seat in a restaurant, and that was because they were having a big birthday party there. Otherwise, we always just walked up (no reservation) and were seated immediately. It was AWESOME.

There is no competition for beach beds or loungers. They are always available - there are one or two palapa beach beds in front of mi hotelito that are generally taken (you have to get up early for those because they are so sweet), but otherwise, the beds and loungers are available all day, as well as towels.

The resort also has snorkels and kayaks available - it is a bit more difficult to get the snorkels - I had trouble a couple of days in getting one, but I voiced my complaint to the concierge, and they went and got one from the Marina, especially for me. No matter - the snorkeling off the beach is so-so, it is good for practice, but if you really want to snorkel - go with Memo or go to Akumal Bay (see my things to do reviews).

I agree with the other reviewers, the marina next door is a bit irritating and loud (depends on the direction of the wind). The worst offenders are the jet skis and the mini speed boats, out all day with their noise pollution and scaring the wildlife away (before the marina, apparently, there used to be a lot more stingrays to see, now they are scared by the sound of the motor boats). Also - the excursions out of the marina are very overpriced - check it out for yourself - and snorkeling from the marina off the Tahuna catamaran is a cattle drive (i.e. going with 50 people to snorkel vs. 5 people on Memo's boat). Its not enough to discourage me from going back to the resort.

The hotel is immaculate and beautiful, and small - only 72 rooms. I was impressed with how clean everything was and the beautiful landscaping. The pools are sparkling clean, the beach white sands and swept clean every morning, the beach beds and loungers clean and often topped with towel art. Our room was huge, very soft and comfortable bed, a HUGE jetted tub, sitting area with comfy couches, and a wonderful outdoor shower we used every day (there is also an indoor rain shower). We had an infinity suite on the second floor - we thought the pool was refreshing and clean, and the patio was great for lounging and having breakfast. We had a great view of the pools, tops of the palm trees and the ocean. A+++++ on the facilities.

The service is a mixed bag, and I will tell you why. The people that work there work extremely hard and are so friendly, and nice and accomodating. We have no complaints on the concierge (Ruth and Patricia are wonderful!), the waiters (Emidgio, Herberth, and Leonardo - you guys rock), the chefs (Hugo is AMAZING), the bell service (give Edwin a raise!), the beach butlers (Eve), the bartenders (Christian and Francisco are excellent) or the housekeepers - our room was cleaned twice daily, and the turn down service was a delight. And again - everyone there is working sooooo hard and hustling like mad.

The concierges were very accomodating and helpful - they arranged a rental car for us to be delivered to the resort. They even offered to pick up Corona's for us in Cancun.

My complaint is about the room service, some food service and the entertainment service. For the room service, the complaint is not against those delivering (they were great) but that the food was usually cold, and mixed up with other rooms. We left early for excursions one day, and ordered room service, and it was a fiasco! Occassionally our orders at the restaurants would also be mixed up. Generally, I had no complaint about the length of the meals or how long it took to get food (it goes with the relaxed atomosphere - each meal is an event), but if you did need to get food in a timely manner - good luck.

Then we had a really irritating experience with Ivan. We had booked a sailing/snorkeling excursion directly with Memo (a dude with a sailboat who ties up about a 15 minute walk south on the beach). Somehow, some of the staff at the hotel found out, and started encouraging us to take an excursion with some of Ivan's friends, that Memo was more expensive that we were quoted (he was not). We ignored that and went with the recommendations of people here on tripadvisor. Then, the morning of our excursion, we were having breakfast, enjoying ourselves and getting ready to go, when Ivan (activities director for the resort) came up and said, "Memo has booked another two couples this morning, and there is too many people booked for this morning's sail, so do you mind going this afternoon?" We were a little pissed, since we had booked the excursion 4 days earlier, that Memo would overbook the sailing. We told Ivan no thank you, that we would walk down the beach and see for ourselves what was going on. Well - we went - and it turns out there was no one else booked, and we were the only two couples going sailing that morning. So Ivan was either lying or misinformed, and it stressed us out needlessly that morning. I felt like complaining to the management, but then I decided to just include it in this review. Bottom line? Don't trust Ivan, go with your instincts and the reviews and information of other travelers on this site.

But again - the service is generally amazing, and everyone there works extremely hard to make our vacation the best. I think with some organization and a better system they would solve the couple of mishaps we experienced with the food service.

The food: A+++++++. Loved it! Our favorite was the Asian restaurant - the spicy tuna rolls, the chicken satay, the soup, the tempanyaki - all delicious. And it is fun to sit at the center table and talk with everyone. And they will make you things off the menu (i.e. we ordered grilled salmon and they would make it to order - absolutely delicious) or bring you things from the other restaurants (i.e. we went to the Italian restaurant and still ordered spicy tuna rolls). Again - you will not be disappointed with the food - just make sure to order appetizers and soup, entree and dessert (ginger cookies are good) and you will be full - they are gourmet portions.

Lunch - the fish market on Thursday is incredible. They catch it (red snapper and grouper) and then fry it for you, and you eat on the beach. The BBQ on Friday is also delectable, and served on the beach. The fajitas off the regular lunch menu are so good, my mouth is watering.

Also - the coffee was hit or miss - it was either amazing or tasted like a diner in southern Wyoming (i.e. yuck). We solved that problem by ordering cappucinoor double espresso instead of coffee - and those are GREAT.

Beach attire is fine for breakfast and lunch, for dinner people look nice - sun dresses, khakis and button down shirts are the norm. Its very elegant.

The drinks are great - if you think they are too weak, just as for a topper or a double. The bartender will make anything you ask for, my favorites were the Chi-chis, the chocolate martini (only order from Ricks bar or the Italian/Asian restaurants, otherwise it is not right), dos equis beer with lime, mango colada, and, of course, tequila tradicional. The house wines are ok, better after a shot of tequila. :)

The entertainment: chill and relaxed. Don't come here for a nightlife, because it is NOT happening. However, you get to know people and that is fun in itself. It is not uncommon for everybody in the restaurant (especially the Asian) to be talking together as old friends. During the day - boci ball is fun, pottery painting is available on occasion, and ofcourse - water sports. We had a blast at the tequila tasting and the mixed drink making - lots of laughter. And walks on the beach or laying on your beach bed all day, snoozing and reading and staring at the water. Nightlife is Ricks bar, I agree, it would be fun to have an outdoor bar. There was some nice acoustic guitar music a couple of nights, and a very loud band another night, also pool, chess and darts are available. We did not try the spa or next door marina.

Personal misc. side notes - go down to the beach at night - its alive. We saw tons of stingrays and skates in the shallows, and ofcourse crabs. Also, we went and sang in the chapel - the acoustics are amazing and it is always unlocked. I felt very safe at the resort - the security is tight. Bring bug spray - if the wind is out of the jungle, there are LOTS of mosquitos and biting bugs, and they come out early!

By the end of our stay, we would order lunch, then go take a dip in the pool, and come back in time for it to be served.

I laughed when I read the review about the restaurant music. Ok - so the acoustic music for breakfast and lunch is nice, but there is only about 6 tracks that last about 35 minutes and then it repeats, and they play it all day, everyday, until the six tracks are drummed into your brain and you dream about them (I am still thinking about them). I LIKE the music - they just need a little more variety, a longer CD, or something. I agree - the cheesy 80s and 90s music in the restaurants has got to go (I never want to hear Richard Marx AGAIN - lol). I suggest classical symphonic music for the Italian and Mexican, traditional Japanese music for the Asian.

Having said all that - I would most DEFINITELY come to this resort again. It seems like they are working out all the kinks (it is a new resort) and are getting better all the time. I felt like royalty and was completely pampered and relaxed my whole visit, and I LOVED it. If you are booked here - you will enjoy.

9 Thank swooten

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
houston, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

I have to say El Dorado Maroma, went above and beyond our expectations. Worth every penny. The service was amazing. The food was delicious. The atmosphere completely relaxed.

We had asked for a room on the 4th floor, when we arrived there was not one that was available. Ana did her best and after two days we got a room on the 4th floor. Thank you Ana. I would reccommend a room on the 4th floor, worth the walk up 4 flights. There is a big outdoor shower, we had the ifinity pool on our balcony. The nice thing about the rooms on the 4th floor you are away from everyone, we had a view of he beach.

The rooms are huge. The bed was soo comfortable, you just sink into them. We had a hard getting out of it every morning, only to walk down to the beach beds and lounge.

The room service menu is delicious. I could really go for some of their pancakes right now. Every morning they brought our food up 4 flights of stairs and set it out for us. You could not ask for anything more. Even if it is not on the menu, they will go out of their way to make it for you. One night I was feeling under the weather and they brought up some chicken broth and toast, made me feel a lot better.

Please keep in mind that all the service people work for very little, yby no means do you have to tip, but they really appreciate it. We tipped a couple dollar here and there, and we found our glasses to never be empty. Once again you absolutely do not have to, but everyone takes such good care of you it is hard not to.

We thought we would be bored after a couple days of relaxing. However, we never ran out of things to do, we swam, took naps on the beach beds, went for walks. You can find big beautiful seashells if you walk 10-15 minutes south of the resot. If you walk north of the resort you will find loney beaches witout all the seaweed, worth the walk.

There is a band that comes in a couple times a week, they are worth catching at Rick Bar. We had a blast, they could play everything from the Eagles to Juanes. The resort really tries to come up with some nightlife. If you are looking for a rowdy night long party, you are not going to find it. Everyone there is on vacation total relax mode.

The resort is all inclusive. There are some items that are not included, like special bottles of wine. But they have so much available that we never felt the need to oder from the wine menu. We did not do the candle light dinner on the beach. It was a bit pricey, but it may be worth it.

We got a couples massage. I would definitely recommend this. Especially is you are on vacation with your significant other. It is really relaxing.

This is a perfect honeymoon place. We made lot's of memories and do plan on going back.

• Liked — Service, food, pools, etc.
  • Disliked — It was next to the Marina, got noise at times.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ysnsmu
Rocky Mtns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

My husband and I got away for a 5 night stay for our 10th anniversary. We wanted great beach, great food, AI and a smaller property. EDM fit us to a "T".

We especially enjoyed the employees...Jackie, Catarina, Ivan, Antonio, Carlos, Emigdeo, Gerardo, Hugo, Mariana, Laura (yoga) Jessica.....on and on....and the nice couples we met...Derek and Kristin, Dennis and Brenda, Nick and Karissa, Janet and David....

We had a room at Mi Hotelito 2nd floor fab ocean view - most comfortable bed ever in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter. Loved the big shower. the best part was the verandah with the bed and the curtains. Many lazy hours lounging.

The pools were first rate, the food was excellent! I did not miss the AI buffet food at all! We love the Asian and the Italian - Mexican for lunch! I loved the service of a sit down meal. Very relaxing and gourmet food. the room service was the best I have ever encoutnered. Enjoyed Rick's (wish it were outside) and especially the Agaveverde tequila apertif!

We enjoyed the sky massage and loved the beach dinner! My husband is allergic to lobster and we aren't big lamb fans - so they made us a blackened tuna with sushi appetzizer and a to die for asparagus soup!

The beach was not as great as I had imagined....I did not like the close proximity to the marina. But the water was clean and swimmable and the sand was great. Capt Memo's cruise - highly recommended.

One final note - great music in the breakfast/lunch restaurant (acoustic guitar cd) but really cheesy (70s disco music and 80s ballads) music in the restaurants. Would have been nice to listen to something a bit classier than "Loving you is easy cuz you're beautiful"...Minnie Ripperton!

• Liked — Service, gourmet food, beds galore!
  • Disliked — Music in the dinner restaurants
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Erinn C
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

First, let me say we are a family ( ages 43,42,19,16) who has traveled to many different parts of the world. I will rate each section of our vacation to try and give you an idea of what this resort has/offers.

We traveled to the Eldorado Maroma in August and we will return soon. I loved this place !!! I am pickey and like nice CLEAN things............. it met my expectations.

checkin: very personable, fast, could not do enough for us.

rooms: stayed in swimup 504. Very very large room with a couch, desk and a King pillow top xtra nice bed. Not the hard beds mexico resorts usually have. Very clean. Outside shower plus a inside shower. Nice large patio w/ sun bed. Double sinks in bathroom, jazz.bathtub, robs, slippers....we could have not had a nice roomer.
My kids had a beach front room, had a few ants but the problem was addressed and taken care of.

pools: 2 pools, clean, plenty of lounge chairs, plenty beds , towels are at your pool side...take as many as you need.

Beach: beautiful, raked severeal times through out the day.

food: anything you want. I am kinda pickey, and the cook would cook me whatever I wanted. One night in the Jap. restaurant they served my kids mexican food because they did not like what was on their menue. I was laying on the beach one day and a butler came and brought me a brownie fresh out of the oven w/ vanilla ice cream. WOW thats service !!!! You can find something here to eat regardless of how pickey you are.

Staff: by the second day you are getting recognized by your first name. Staff very nice and they work hard. Make sure you leave them a tip....they do not expect it, but very appreciative.

Nightlife: not much going on..Ricks bar upstairs has a little something each night but dont expect to much. I would like to see more activities at night.

We really liked this resort because it is very small.....not alot of people.
I will say there is alot of "LOVE" in the atmosphere around here. Honeymoon, Anniversary couples etc.....

The marina next door did family portraits of us on the beach. Turned out ok....not as professional as our photographer here in Texas, but they were OK. Got the disk and having pictures developed at a studio.

We used a travel agent whom got us a Great Deal so we are planning on going back next month!!! If you would like more info email me and I will answere any questions.

• Liked — resort size
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank leeleeDallas
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2008

Simply put, wow. My wife and I stayed the last week in July for our anniversary and had an amazing time at EDM. Let me start my review with this though......DON'T pay attention to any negativity you read in any other review. Some of what I read is pretty absurd and there are some people in life that just can't be pleased no matter what.

Before I get into details, much love to Christian, Alfredo, and Diego. We'll never forget you guys and they truly make EDM a great place. You can tell they love what they do which is hard to find.

Is EDM perfect? No, they aren't. But they work their tails off to make sure you have the most pleasant experience. For example, one night our air conditioner went out around 11pm. We call the front desk and they had someone up in literally 5 mins. They indicated they couldn't fix it that night so they moved us to another room for the night so we could sleep. The next day we had an excursion but we were back by 2pm and everything was fixed. As soon as we arrived, the front desk was in touch to make sure everything was ok and make sure we were happy. To top that, they sent up a plate of fresh cheeses and a bottle of wine on the house. Can't really beat that.

We were very pleased with the food. Sabores has amazing breakfast and lunches. We would order room service almost every morning and the amount of food they give you is crazy. Lunch at Sabores at the main pool is just great. Get the fajitas!!! Really, really good. If they don't have something on the menu, ASK FOR IT!!!! They will do whatever you want. Our last day there, we arrived around 10:45 and told them we were craving the fajitas. Lunch didn't start until 11:30 yet they still made us each a plate of fajitas. Again, anything you ask for you pretty much get.

Italian was good and so was the Asian. The Asian was actually our favorite for dinner which is ironic given you are in Mexico. Yes, they give you gourmet portions and if you cry about that then cry me a river. Again, just ask for another plate. It's not that hard. I wanted two plates of sushi and that's what they gave me. In addition, we ate in the Mexican restaurant one night and I had one of my sushi cravings so I asked for some and they brought me a plate along with my Mexican food.

Also, if you have a chance to do a private beach dinner definitely do it!! It's so worth the money. We did the lobster menu and it was very tasty. Our table was set up over the water in the massage hut and was very, very romantic. They even sent a bottle of champagne up to the room afterwards.

Room
We had one of the older rooms, 111. It was perfect for us and had a really nice rustic feel to it. Our balcony overlooked the older part of the pool and was very relaxing. Never got to see one of the newer rooms but from what we heard, they were nice. Here's a tip though......the rooms with the plunge pools really aren't worth it. We heard that time and time again as the water was so cold, you couldn't use them. We had a similar experience at another resort we stayed at so that's why we didn't go with that type of a room.

Beach/Pool
The beach was amazing. Soft white sand for miles and miles. Take a hike about 20 mins to the left of the resort and it's like you are on a deserted island all by yourself. The views were truly amazing and the water was crystal clear. Both pools were nice although we spent the majority of our time in the bigger/newer pool. The beach beds were great, however, watch out for the ants. I got chewed up by them but the funny thing is my wife was fine. So, just be careful. If you get bit up, just have another shot or two. :)

Drinks
Speaking of shots and drinks, I read how the drinks were weak. Yes, some of them were but I asked for a floater of whatever I wanted on the top and I got it. A couple of times as I watched them make my drink I asked them to add more liquor and they were fine with it. Again, just ask and you shall receive. Also, be sure to get a dirty margarita from Christian!!! Also, if you are a newlywed, be sure and ask him to sing you his little song he has for all newlyweds. Pretty hilarious.

I'm not sure what else to say other than please be sure to thank the staff and tip them. They really do work their tails off and do it for very little money. All they want to do is please you and sometimes it's pretty sad to see how some people treat them. They work because they want and need to but they all have a true desire to make it the best experience for you.

Thanks again to the EDM staff. Can't wait to go back and have Christian make me by 10:30 bloody mary's!

• Liked — The service and views
  • Disliked — Nothing I can really think of
9 Thank egypt2345
Tulsa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

The hotel was beautiful. It met my six requirements: adults only, white sand, swim up pool bar, lazy river pool, less than 100 rooms, and all inclusive. It met my friend's requirement: deep sea fishing right next door. Actually he was quite happy to see people fishing right on the beach and he was sad he didn't bring his own fishing pole. Anyway, the hotel was beautiful, the meals were delicious - especially the Japanese restaurant. The fried rice was the best I have ever had in my life. The employees were friendly and kind. The "amenities" (towel animals and aroma therapy and fruit in the room) were not always consistent but that's ok. The landscaping to include flowers, fountains and driftwood were beautiful and the gourmet food displays were not only beautiful, but delicious as well, the rolled towels, lunches on the beach, everything was beautiful. I have hundreds of pictures if somebody wants to email me at gaski@aol.com. I would only like to warn people to avoid the "exotic" travel club presentation. It is a vacation club and is only a 50% off FUTURE stays at their hotels or any other destinations worldwide. You are simply paying the other 50% up front and not really getting any discount. I made the mistake of joining and then immediately changed my mind. It has been a nightmare to get this off my credit card and they STILL have not taken it off my credit card despite repeated emails and even after I gave them the COLLECT number to my credit card company numerous times, to cancel the transaction. I would never join the exotic travel club, but I would go to El Dorado Maroma any day of the week and I will go back there again.

• Liked — That it was a "boutique" hotel
  • Disliked — Exotic Travel Club Presentation
3 Thank caribnlvr
Niantic, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at the El Dorado Maroma (EDM) from July 20-27 celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We had a great time and absolutely loved the EDM. Overall, I would highly recommend the EDM for a couple that is looking for complete relaxation and unwinding. I do not recommend the EDM for a couple that is looking for a lot of activity and a lot of night life. Below I break down the review into different categories.

TRIP ARRIVAL
First let me provide a tip for anyone arriving to the Yucatan Peninsula via the Cancun International Airport. Once clear of immigration and customs, and you are ready to find your transportation, do not stop in the airport, go straight through the lobby and go all the way outside where the transportation companies are waiting. Inside the lobby are all kinds of timeshares/travel companies etc. that will offer free transportation or want to get you to sign up for excursions. They will do their best to side track you and tie up your time as long as they can. We made the mistake because some of the people presented badges and went under the guise that they were government related tourism agents that are there to help you navigate your way to your transportation or provide useful tourist information. After about five minutes I figured out the agent that stopped us really wasn’t trying to help us and we ended up walking away (we did not get suckered into buying anything).

Arriving at the EDM, other posted reviews are accurate in that the access road is long, and narrow with a lot of sharp turns through the middle of jungle/brush. Don’t let this scare you, as you eventually arrive at the resort, which is very beautiful.

Check in was very easy with a glass of champagne (each of us actually had two glasses) and a cool wash cloth offered upon arrival. Our room was ready when we arrived, which was around 2:30, so they did allow an early check in (check in is usually 3:00). Be aware that when you check in, the staff will ask for your credit card up front and they preliminarily charge 5,000 pesos (approximately $500) to your credit card. This is not a big deal because you settle any charges at check out time. At check out, I settled with travelers checks and cash, and the 5,000 peso charge was removed from my card. One of the few complaints I had was that they did not take our luggage to the room right away. After waiting in our room 30 minutes or so, I checked back at the front desk and the luggage was still sitting in the same spot. Once I informed the staff, they immediately delivered our luggage to our room. I think another reviewer mentioned their luggage getting stolen at check in, so upon checking in, you will want to make sure that they deliver your luggage to your room right away.

RESORT GROUNDS/BEACH
Our arrival day was the same day that tropical storm Dolly arrived. We beat the storm by a couple of hours. When we arrived, the grounds crew was taking preparations (removing outside furniture, boarding windows, etc.) for the storm. Let me say that the grounds crew did an excellent job not only in preparing for the storm, but also getting the EDM back to normal as quickly as possible after Dolly exited. The grounds crew worked very hard to clean the beach (washed up seaweed) and restore all of the outside furniture after the storm and got the resort back to normal quickly. Granted, Dolly was not a big storm when it hit and there really was no damage done by the storm, but the grounds crew still did an excellent job.

Overall the grounds and the beach are beautiful and very well kept. It does seem as though the grounds crew are continuously maintaining the resort. I don’t think that is a bad thing, as the grounds are kept up nicely. The fact that they continuously maintain the grounds was not an inconvenience or a burden to us when we were relaxing.

The beach is a white sandy beach, with a few small pebbles here and there in the sand, nothing that hurt the feet. Other than that, the sand is mostly very soft to the feet. The water is very warm and some good sand bars to swim out to. There is quite a bit of seaweed in the water, but the seaweed is avoidable and there are plenty of areas to swim in.

There are plenty of beach beds and beach chairs on the beach and by the pools. Obtaining a beach bed or beach chair is not a problem as there are more than enough. EDM was less than 50% capacity during our stay, so it was very easy to find isolated spots on the resort if we wanted peace and quiet. Having the resort less than 50% capacity also helped claiming beach beds, but I must say that even if the EDM was near or at capacity, it seems as though there are plenty of beach beds. There are two swimming pools in which both pools the water is very warm. Both pools have swim up bars for drinks through out the day. Other reviewers complained that there is no other bar open during the day except the pool bars. This is true but it does not matter as you do not have to be in the pool to get drinks. You can walk up adjacent to the pool bars and order drinks and there are plenty tables adjacent to the pool bars to sit with your drinks.

Next to EDM, there is a marina, which is owned by the same management group. Other posters have noted that the presence of the marina did not give the EDM the total seclusion that they advertise. This is somewhat true. While you are on the EDM resort, you will definitely notice excursions coming and going from the marina next door, but there really is no impact to while you are on the resort, and quite frankly, the marina activity did not bother us. The activity at the marina was not overly obnoxious. If you take a walk by the marina (off the resort), you definitely notice more of the activity. Plus, activity at the marina starts around 9 am, but the activities wind down around 5 pm, so from late afternoon on through the evening and dinner, there is minimal to no activity at the marina. The marina actually has some shops over there, which were nice to have, because if you don’t feel like leaving the resort, you can still go purchase some souvenirs for family or kids at the marina.

ROOMS
We stayed in a swim up suite, room number 802. This suite is all they way at the end of the newer section of the hotel away from the beach. This suite was nice in the respect that we felt we were secluded from many other guests. However, where this room is situated, while sitting on the patio (the swim up area), it is adjacent to where there is a lot of foot traffic from hotel staff (grounds crew, breakfast/lunch staff at the Sabores restaurant). It is also next to the ATV and horse trails that the marina utilizes for excursions. All of this extra activity really did not bother us, but just be aware if this is where your room is located.

The room itself was very nice and spacious. There is a Jacuzzi tub large enough for two people. There is also an outside shower in which obtaining the right water pressure can be a little tricky, but once the right water pressure is obtained, the outside shower is very nice; we both liked it better than the indoor shower. Take note that when exiting the room to go to the patio, the sliding glass door automatically locks when it is shut. You can easily lock yourself out of your room (we did the first day!).

One other complaint we had was relative to the turn down service of our room. We never, not once had towel art. Even though we saw plenty of pictures on trip advisor of towel art, and we knew of other people at the resort that got towel art, and, after we specifically asked the concierge three different times if we could get towel art at least once, we still never got any towel art. Overall, this was not a big deal at all, but you’d think that after we asked three times, you’d think we would have gotten towel art at least once. We still don’t understand why we didn’t get towel art. Furthermore, the turn down service/house keeping service for our room was not consistent with replenishing our bathroom supplies such as shampoos and soaps. This is one aspect in which we were disappointed with (still, it really was not a big deal and obviously did not diminish our vacation).

FOOD/RESTAURANTS
I need to say up front that I am a very picky eater (picky in that I don’t like a lot of foods – I am happy with pizza or macaroni and cheese, etc.). So I was a little worried about having to eat gourmet foods and not liking anything. With that said, there was not one meal that I was not satisfied with. I thought the food was outstanding.

Of the three restaurants (Mia – Italian, Sabores – Mexican, Kiyoko – Japanese), the Japanese was our favorite. The menu’s aren’t huge, but there is plenty enough of variety where the choices do not get old. Also, the portions are the right size, not too small and not too big. If a portion is too small, order another entrée. You can order as much as you want. If there is something you want that is not on the menu, ask, and they will bring it or do their best to accommodate you. Trust me, it worked for me several times (I wanted a chocolate milkshake with lunch one day. It wasn’t on the menu, but they made one).

There is a dress code for dinner time. For males you are supposed to wear slacks, shirt (polo or button down) and shoes (no sandals or tennis shoes). However, they really are not strict with this policy as I saw plenty of guys wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandals. I would recommend bringing at least one pair of pants and dress shoes.

Room service was also very good. The menu for room service is scaled down with not as much variety as the restaurants, but they were always on time or even earlier than what they said with respect to delivery time.

I did find that the alcohol at times seemed watered down, but not always. This was not a big deal to us as we weren’t there to get drunk every day. However, this falls back in the category of ask for what you want. If an alcoholic beverage seems watered down, ask for more alcohol on the next beverage, I am sure they will accommodate you

TIPPING
Tipping is not required. I did tip when I felt it was warranted (I did not tip every time). Not in large amounts, just a dollar or two here and there. Any time you tip, the staff is very appreciative. I have to say I did NOT notice a difference in the level service whether I tipped or I didn’t tip.

EXCURSIONS
Lomas travel has an office on site in which they offer plenty of options for excursions off of the resort. One day we took an excursion to Xel-Ha. We did have a little trouble in the morning in that our transportation did not arrive. It seemed to be an isolated case that doesn’t happen all the time. They corrected the situation and paid for a taxi to take us to Xel-Ha. I have to say taking the taxi was much better than riding the bus back to the resort at the end of the day. The bus transportation transports several people from several resorts, so be ready to make several stops on the way to the excursion or returning to the resort. A taxi is much more efficient time wise, but if it is paid out of your pocket, a taxi will be more expensive than the travel group.

NIGHTLIFE
Not much to say about the night life, other than there is not much of a nightlife at EDM. There is Rick’s bar which does host live entertainment and bands (the bands were sometimes loud though). But the bar was always far from packed. Rick’s does also have a pool table, darts, and board games. It was a nice option though for a nightcap if desired.

SPA
The spa was wonderful. We both got a massage at the sky hut over the water at 10 pm at night with the sound of the water and breeze and the sky hut lit with candles. It was heavenly. One negative is that one of the spa brochures lists a thermal mud massage, which my wife was interested in, but it apparently is not offered anymore as the spa staff seemed confused why we were asking about that spa treatment and said that it did not exist.

SERVICE OF STAFF
Overall the staff was very friendly and helpful. The wait staff for meals was excellent. The turn down service/maid service was a little spotty (as mentioned above). The front desk was very helpful. The concierge was friendly, but seemed to just be a liaison to the vacation club presentation that we sat through.

We did sit through a Vacation Club presentation, which was not high pressure. It lasted for about an hour, but it was worth it as we got $150 off of our final checkout fee.

CHECKOUT
Checkout was very easy. There were no problems with the conversion rate, getting overcharged, or any hidden fees/charges. Like I said before, I settled with cash, so the 5,000 peso charge to my credit card was removed.

SUMMARY
Other than the minor problems listed above, our stay at the EDM was wonderful. If not for those minor problems, I would have rated it a five out of five. Again, I highly recommend the EDM for any couple that is looking for total peace and relaxation.

• Liked — The beach beds, food, and the relaxation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank greatscott2018
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,448 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!