“EDM is Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Medford, Ma
“EDM is Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

We stayed at EDM Nov 29 thru Dec 6 and I could have stayed forever! We've stayed in Cabo twice at an amazing resort and I was concerned that my husband wouldn't like Maroma as much but HE DID! The resort is small and intimate (which we love). We stayed in a swim up suite and practically lived on our patio and the lazy river directly in front of our room. We walked the beach every morning after a delicious breakfast and then alternated between our private pool area and the beach. The ocean is clean and warm and a lovely color. It is so quiet and some women choose to sunbathe topless without any problems.
There were a few mosquitoes one day when the weather was very still. I sprayed 100% DEET around the patio door and we asked for the area to be sprayed (which they did right away) and that took care of the skeetas.
Though the menu sleection doesn't change at dinner in the 3 restaurants, we were happy with the food and actually thought that lunch had the best selection both in Sabores and the Taco Bar (WED), the Fish Fry (THU) and the BBQ (FRI) on the beach. Unfortunately we missed SAT Paella.
I cannot say enough about the warmth and service of the staff. Most especially Gabriel, Gabriela, Diana, Flor, Mario and Carlos. They are just genuinely sweet people who really want you to enjoy your vacation. Please tip them, they so deserve it and are so appreciative.
Our room was beautiful. I would definitely bppk a swim up again but all the rooms are nice. We borrowed a couple videos for early evening. TV selection isn't great but I wasn't there to watch TV. Sunrise at 615 ish is worth getting up and out for. I definitely plan to go again, will probably alternate between Cabo and EDM.

• Liked — The swim up suite with the beautiful private area and lazy river in front
  • Disliked — The mosquitos
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GinaMedford_Ma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

We stayed at El Dorado Maroma for our honeymoon from 11/3 to 11/8 and it was great. We stayed in the Mi Hotelito section which is smaller and a little more secluded, we felt, than the larger building with the swim out suites and suites with plunge pools. The resort is so small that it doesn't matter where you stay or in what room, everything is there and convenient. After staying at one of the mega, family friendly resorts in the Dominican, we were blown away at El Dorado Maroma. The level of service was unparalleled and the food was tremendous - the japanese/oriental restaurant was the best for dinner by far. However, nothing we had was ever less than great. The breakfast is good, but the breakfast room service is even better - why leave your room when you can have better food brought to you?! Lunch was great too. All the food, tremendous. Drinks - margaritas were the best.

The resort is very calm, relaxing and beautiful. We loved the adults only aspect. The beach is great, the pool is nice...plenty of lounge chairs and beach beds for everyone. nothing was ever crowded, which was nice. With only 72 suites, even if the resort if booked, that's not that many people. While we were there, it was roughly half full, so it was very nice and at times felt as though we had the resort to ourself.

They have a great staff and you can be as lazy as you want or you can be active. My wife and I did something every day...went into the town of playa del carmen, the ruins of chichen itza, snorkeling, zip line tour (selvatica), etc. We would stuff ourselves at dinner with appetizers, entrees, desserts and drinks, then just hang out.

It's very mellow during the day and night. If you're looking for a crazy trip with a ton of nightlife, this is not your place. This is definitely the place to go for a relaxing stay. I can't imagine any place in the Mayan Riviera being any better than El Dorado in terms of lodging, service, food, etc. We would/will definitely go back.

• Liked — The food, the service and the seclusion
  • Disliked — The mosquitos - but that's nature, not the resort.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank yankeefu
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

Wow! Another amazing vacation... A little bit of Heaven on Earth. Hubby & I traveled to El Dorado Maroma from Aug 27th to Sept 8th, 2008. We were supposed to split the trip in half and stay one week at the Maroma and the other at the Seaside. Seaside was under some construction and we could not get the room we requested so we decided to stay - glad we did. We were in the old part of the resort (Mi Hotelito) and loved it. Our first room was #209 and it had a king sized bed with bed on the balcony as well as table and 2 chairs. The bathroom was huge with plenty of plush towels. Our view was the ocean (2nd floor) and a bit of the tops of the palms and the palapa of the pool bar. (see photos) The second half of our stay was in room 216 - this room was amazing. (The owner - Mr Martinez' fav room) King sized bed, (+ huge balcony & bed with table and chairs) hot tub, huge shower and bathroom + outdoor shower that we used every day and windows along the entire room with a view of heaven on earth!!! Waking up in the morning to the sunrise was amazing! we had maid service twice a day including turn down service with candles & chocolate every night. The room fragrances are yummy! One night after our sunset massage we came back to the room for a huge surprise - a bubble filled hot tub with candles everywhere! The little things they do here will certainly please you! The staff were all amazing and the food was always a pleasant surprise. Ask and ye shall receive - whatever you want... We can honestly say we have no complaints at all - from day one to the end it was an absolutely amazing vacation!!! Special thanks to Ruth, Patricia, Katarina, Monica & Rafeal, Jackie, Ivan, Edwin and everyone else at the Maroma for making our stay a memorable one. Everything good you read on the tripadvisor reviews is all true and the complaints are probably just a hard-to-please vacationer. Remember vacation is a mind set - plan on having an awesome time and more than likely - you will! Your on vacation - enjoy!! If you have any ?'s - just ask.
wannabeinmexico :-)

• Liked — anything goes...
  • Disliked — going home...
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank wannabeinmexico
Greeley, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

This was our first visit to the Riviera Maya - and we loved it. We chose the Maroma because we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary, and we really needed some R&R. And we SO got it.

The hotel is small and intimate - the wait staff knows your name, and you get to know other travelers because there are not many people there, even when it is full. The hotel was 98% full at one point during our stay, and you couldn't even tell. The beach has maybe 5-7 people on it, there is usually 1-2 people in the pool, there is never a wait for beach butler service or at the swim up bar, sometimes you wonder, "Where are all the people?" With so many wonderful nooks and crannies, the resort just absorbs people and oozes relaxation and quiet. Ahhhh.....

We never had to wait for a table at breakfast or lunch and always ate outside under the palapas. We only waited one night for a seat in a restaurant, and that was because they were having a big birthday party there. Otherwise, we always just walked up (no reservation) and were seated immediately. It was AWESOME.

There is no competition for beach beds or loungers. They are always available - there are one or two palapa beach beds in front of mi hotelito that are generally taken (you have to get up early for those because they are so sweet), but otherwise, the beds and loungers are available all day, as well as towels.

The resort also has snorkels and kayaks available - it is a bit more difficult to get the snorkels - I had trouble a couple of days in getting one, but I voiced my complaint to the concierge, and they went and got one from the Marina, especially for me. No matter - the snorkeling off the beach is so-so, it is good for practice, but if you really want to snorkel - go with Memo or go to Akumal Bay (see my things to do reviews).

I agree with the other reviewers, the marina next door is a bit irritating and loud (depends on the direction of the wind). The worst offenders are the jet skis and the mini speed boats, out all day with their noise pollution and scaring the wildlife away (before the marina, apparently, there used to be a lot more stingrays to see, now they are scared by the sound of the motor boats). Also - the excursions out of the marina are very overpriced - check it out for yourself - and snorkeling from the marina off the Tahuna catamaran is a cattle drive (i.e. going with 50 people to snorkel vs. 5 people on Memo's boat). Its not enough to discourage me from going back to the resort.

The hotel is immaculate and beautiful, and small - only 72 rooms. I was impressed with how clean everything was and the beautiful landscaping. The pools are sparkling clean, the beach white sands and swept clean every morning, the beach beds and loungers clean and often topped with towel art. Our room was huge, very soft and comfortable bed, a HUGE jetted tub, sitting area with comfy couches, and a wonderful outdoor shower we used every day (there is also an indoor rain shower). We had an infinity suite on the second floor - we thought the pool was refreshing and clean, and the patio was great for lounging and having breakfast. We had a great view of the pools, tops of the palm trees and the ocean. A+++++ on the facilities.

The service is a mixed bag, and I will tell you why. The people that work there work extremely hard and are so friendly, and nice and accomodating. We have no complaints on the concierge (Ruth and Patricia are wonderful!), the waiters (Emidgio, Herberth, and Leonardo - you guys rock), the chefs (Hugo is AMAZING), the bell service (give Edwin a raise!), the beach butlers (Eve), the bartenders (Christian and Francisco are excellent) or the housekeepers - our room was cleaned twice daily, and the turn down service was a delight. And again - everyone there is working sooooo hard and hustling like mad.

The concierges were very accomodating and helpful - they arranged a rental car for us to be delivered to the resort. They even offered to pick up Corona's for us in Cancun.

My complaint is about the room service, some food service and the entertainment service. For the room service, the complaint is not against those delivering (they were great) but that the food was usually cold, and mixed up with other rooms. We left early for excursions one day, and ordered room service, and it was a fiasco! Occassionally our orders at the restaurants would also be mixed up. Generally, I had no complaint about the length of the meals or how long it took to get food (it goes with the relaxed atomosphere - each meal is an event), but if you did need to get food in a timely manner - good luck.

Then we had a really irritating experience with Ivan. We had booked a sailing/snorkeling excursion directly with Memo (a dude with a sailboat who ties up about a 15 minute walk south on the beach). Somehow, some of the staff at the hotel found out, and started encouraging us to take an excursion with some of Ivan's friends, that Memo was more expensive that we were quoted (he was not). We ignored that and went with the recommendations of people here on tripadvisor. Then, the morning of our excursion, we were having breakfast, enjoying ourselves and getting ready to go, when Ivan (activities director for the resort) came up and said, "Memo has booked another two couples this morning, and there is too many people booked for this morning's sail, so do you mind going this afternoon?" We were a little pissed, since we had booked the excursion 4 days earlier, that Memo would overbook the sailing. We told Ivan no thank you, that we would walk down the beach and see for ourselves what was going on. Well - we went - and it turns out there was no one else booked, and we were the only two couples going sailing that morning. So Ivan was either lying or misinformed, and it stressed us out needlessly that morning. I felt like complaining to the management, but then I decided to just include it in this review. Bottom line? Don't trust Ivan, go with your instincts and the reviews and information of other travelers on this site.

But again - the service is generally amazing, and everyone there works extremely hard to make our vacation the best. I think with some organization and a better system they would solve the couple of mishaps we experienced with the food service.

The food: A+++++++. Loved it! Our favorite was the Asian restaurant - the spicy tuna rolls, the chicken satay, the soup, the tempanyaki - all delicious. And it is fun to sit at the center table and talk with everyone. And they will make you things off the menu (i.e. we ordered grilled salmon and they would make it to order - absolutely delicious) or bring you things from the other restaurants (i.e. we went to the Italian restaurant and still ordered spicy tuna rolls). Again - you will not be disappointed with the food - just make sure to order appetizers and soup, entree and dessert (ginger cookies are good) and you will be full - they are gourmet portions.

Lunch - the fish market on Thursday is incredible. They catch it (red snapper and grouper) and then fry it for you, and you eat on the beach. The BBQ on Friday is also delectable, and served on the beach. The fajitas off the regular lunch menu are so good, my mouth is watering.

Also - the coffee was hit or miss - it was either amazing or tasted like a diner in southern Wyoming (i.e. yuck). We solved that problem by ordering cappucinoor double espresso instead of coffee - and those are GREAT.

Beach attire is fine for breakfast and lunch, for dinner people look nice - sun dresses, khakis and button down shirts are the norm. Its very elegant.

The drinks are great - if you think they are too weak, just as for a topper or a double. The bartender will make anything you ask for, my favorites were the Chi-chis, the chocolate martini (only order from Ricks bar or the Italian/Asian restaurants, otherwise it is not right), dos equis beer with lime, mango colada, and, of course, tequila tradicional. The house wines are ok, better after a shot of tequila. :)

The entertainment: chill and relaxed. Don't come here for a nightlife, because it is NOT happening. However, you get to know people and that is fun in itself. It is not uncommon for everybody in the restaurant (especially the Asian) to be talking together as old friends. During the day - boci ball is fun, pottery painting is available on occasion, and ofcourse - water sports. We had a blast at the tequila tasting and the mixed drink making - lots of laughter. And walks on the beach or laying on your beach bed all day, snoozing and reading and staring at the water. Nightlife is Ricks bar, I agree, it would be fun to have an outdoor bar. There was some nice acoustic guitar music a couple of nights, and a very loud band another night, also pool, chess and darts are available. We did not try the spa or next door marina.

Personal misc. side notes - go down to the beach at night - its alive. We saw tons of stingrays and skates in the shallows, and ofcourse crabs. Also, we went and sang in the chapel - the acoustics are amazing and it is always unlocked. I felt very safe at the resort - the security is tight. Bring bug spray - if the wind is out of the jungle, there are LOTS of mosquitos and biting bugs, and they come out early!

By the end of our stay, we would order lunch, then go take a dip in the pool, and come back in time for it to be served.

I laughed when I read the review about the restaurant music. Ok - so the acoustic music for breakfast and lunch is nice, but there is only about 6 tracks that last about 35 minutes and then it repeats, and they play it all day, everyday, until the six tracks are drummed into your brain and you dream about them (I am still thinking about them). I LIKE the music - they just need a little more variety, a longer CD, or something. I agree - the cheesy 80s and 90s music in the restaurants has got to go (I never want to hear Richard Marx AGAIN - lol). I suggest classical symphonic music for the Italian and Mexican, traditional Japanese music for the Asian.

Having said all that - I would most DEFINITELY come to this resort again. It seems like they are working out all the kinks (it is a new resort) and are getting better all the time. I felt like royalty and was completely pampered and relaxed my whole visit, and I LOVED it. If you are booked here - you will enjoy.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
9 Thank swooten
houston, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

I have to say El Dorado Maroma, went above and beyond our expectations. Worth every penny. The service was amazing. The food was delicious. The atmosphere completely relaxed.

We had asked for a room on the 4th floor, when we arrived there was not one that was available. Ana did her best and after two days we got a room on the 4th floor. Thank you Ana. I would reccommend a room on the 4th floor, worth the walk up 4 flights. There is a big outdoor shower, we had the ifinity pool on our balcony. The nice thing about the rooms on the 4th floor you are away from everyone, we had a view of he beach.

The rooms are huge. The bed was soo comfortable, you just sink into them. We had a hard getting out of it every morning, only to walk down to the beach beds and lounge.

The room service menu is delicious. I could really go for some of their pancakes right now. Every morning they brought our food up 4 flights of stairs and set it out for us. You could not ask for anything more. Even if it is not on the menu, they will go out of their way to make it for you. One night I was feeling under the weather and they brought up some chicken broth and toast, made me feel a lot better.

Please keep in mind that all the service people work for very little, yby no means do you have to tip, but they really appreciate it. We tipped a couple dollar here and there, and we found our glasses to never be empty. Once again you absolutely do not have to, but everyone takes such good care of you it is hard not to.

We thought we would be bored after a couple days of relaxing. However, we never ran out of things to do, we swam, took naps on the beach beds, went for walks. You can find big beautiful seashells if you walk 10-15 minutes south of the resot. If you walk north of the resort you will find loney beaches witout all the seaweed, worth the walk.

There is a band that comes in a couple times a week, they are worth catching at Rick Bar. We had a blast, they could play everything from the Eagles to Juanes. The resort really tries to come up with some nightlife. If you are looking for a rowdy night long party, you are not going to find it. Everyone there is on vacation total relax mode.

The resort is all inclusive. There are some items that are not included, like special bottles of wine. But they have so much available that we never felt the need to oder from the wine menu. We did not do the candle light dinner on the beach. It was a bit pricey, but it may be worth it.

We got a couples massage. I would definitely recommend this. Especially is you are on vacation with your significant other. It is really relaxing.

This is a perfect honeymoon place. We made lot's of memories and do plan on going back.

• Liked — Service, food, pools, etc.
  • Disliked — It was next to the Marina, got noise at times.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank ysnsmu
Rocky Mtns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

My husband and I got away for a 5 night stay for our 10th anniversary. We wanted great beach, great food, AI and a smaller property. EDM fit us to a "T".

We especially enjoyed the employees...Jackie, Catarina, Ivan, Antonio, Carlos, Emigdeo, Gerardo, Hugo, Mariana, Laura (yoga) Jessica.....on and on....and the nice couples we met...Derek and Kristin, Dennis and Brenda, Nick and Karissa, Janet and David....

We had a room at Mi Hotelito 2nd floor fab ocean view - most comfortable bed ever in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter. Loved the big shower. the best part was the verandah with the bed and the curtains. Many lazy hours lounging.

The pools were first rate, the food was excellent! I did not miss the AI buffet food at all! We love the Asian and the Italian - Mexican for lunch! I loved the service of a sit down meal. Very relaxing and gourmet food. the room service was the best I have ever encoutnered. Enjoyed Rick's (wish it were outside) and especially the Agaveverde tequila apertif!

We enjoyed the sky massage and loved the beach dinner! My husband is allergic to lobster and we aren't big lamb fans - so they made us a blackened tuna with sushi appetzizer and a to die for asparagus soup!

The beach was not as great as I had imagined....I did not like the close proximity to the marina. But the water was clean and swimmable and the sand was great. Capt Memo's cruise - highly recommended.

One final note - great music in the breakfast/lunch restaurant (acoustic guitar cd) but really cheesy (70s disco music and 80s ballads) music in the restaurants. Would have been nice to listen to something a bit classier than "Loving you is easy cuz you're beautiful"...Minnie Ripperton!

• Liked — Service, gourmet food, beds galore!
  • Disliked — Music in the dinner restaurants
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Erinn C
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

First, let me say we are a family ( ages 43,42,19,16) who has traveled to many different parts of the world. I will rate each section of our vacation to try and give you an idea of what this resort has/offers.

We traveled to the Eldorado Maroma in August and we will return soon. I loved this place !!! I am pickey and like nice CLEAN things............. it met my expectations.

checkin: very personable, fast, could not do enough for us.

rooms: stayed in swimup 504. Very very large room with a couch, desk and a King pillow top xtra nice bed. Not the hard beds mexico resorts usually have. Very clean. Outside shower plus a inside shower. Nice large patio w/ sun bed. Double sinks in bathroom, jazz.bathtub, robs, slippers....we could have not had a nice roomer.
My kids had a beach front room, had a few ants but the problem was addressed and taken care of.

pools: 2 pools, clean, plenty of lounge chairs, plenty beds , towels are at your pool side...take as many as you need.

Beach: beautiful, raked severeal times through out the day.

food: anything you want. I am kinda pickey, and the cook would cook me whatever I wanted. One night in the Jap. restaurant they served my kids mexican food because they did not like what was on their menue. I was laying on the beach one day and a butler came and brought me a brownie fresh out of the oven w/ vanilla ice cream. WOW thats service !!!! You can find something here to eat regardless of how pickey you are.

Staff: by the second day you are getting recognized by your first name. Staff very nice and they work hard. Make sure you leave them a tip....they do not expect it, but very appreciative.

Nightlife: not much going on..Ricks bar upstairs has a little something each night but dont expect to much. I would like to see more activities at night.

We really liked this resort because it is very small.....not alot of people.
I will say there is alot of "LOVE" in the atmosphere around here. Honeymoon, Anniversary couples etc.....

The marina next door did family portraits of us on the beach. Turned out ok....not as professional as our photographer here in Texas, but they were OK. Got the disk and having pictures developed at a studio.

We used a travel agent whom got us a Great Deal so we are planning on going back next month!!! If you would like more info email me and I will answere any questions.

• Liked — resort size
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank leeleeDallas
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,302 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!