“It felt as if we were the only people there...the beach is a corona commercial.”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Staff is amazing, after one week we knew they by name, great beach, great snorkeling & at the marina next to the resort, they offer fishing, sailing, diving, etc, our group dove & went on the atv's in the combo w/ jet skis deal which was a good value. The resort location is nice, 20 minutes to Playa & you have a ton of beach to yourself, the water is very calm due to the reef off the coast from the resort extending in both directons up & down the beach. They offer many great drinks & food, we ordered items from room service that we not on the menu but were offered at the Sabores restaurant & it was always delivered faster than they promise- great staff- great beach-great food...rooms nice but views vary dramatically. Mi Hotelito rooms without infinity pool are a good value- they are charming- many have peak-a-boo ocean views, are close to the beach and pool and bar, this is the way to go unless you can be sure you have an infinity pool room with a good view- building 3, 4, 5 all rooms are good, building 6, 7 & 8 are better on floors 3 & 4. All groundfloor rooms are nice but wont have a view, but you can swim up to the main pool.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank luv2travel23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
Wake Forest, NC
Reviewed 28 October 2009

My wife and I traveled here in September, and I can truly say that it exceeded our highest expectations. The resort, the people, the food, was all incredible. The first day we were there we started with lunch and a dip in the pool while waiting for our room (and it was worth the wait). The room had an outdoor shower, and infinity pool on the deck, a jacuzzi, and an awesome view of the ocean. It was a short walk to the pool and the beach. The resort overall is small and cozy, with both pools within a 2 minute walk from your room, and the entire resort being about a 5 minute walk. There is also a marina next door, but we didn't use any of the services there... heard the spa services there were much cheaper.

We got couples massages twice while we were there, once on the sky massage over the ocean, which was so relaxing and romantic. The other time we got foot reflexology massages in the spa and it was also very nice. The accommodations at the spa were nice, the people were friendly, and the treatments were very nice (I've had better, but I've had much worse too. Maybe a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5). Alma ran the spa... we did a little chatting and got some good deals on our treatments.

The first night we were there was a feast in celebration of Mexican Independence day. The dinner was fabulous, as was the Mariachi band. Robyn, the head of the restaurant, took very good care of us, knew us by name by the second night, and took care of any issues we had, excelente! The food was very good at that meal, and was a 4 or 5 course dinner.

The breakfasts we had each morning, either at the restaurant or in our room, had plenty of food, were delicious, and the fresh-squeezed pineapple juice mixed with cranberry hit the spot. "Super" Mario took care of us at breakfast with help from others, and knew us by name and spoke to us in passing at the resort.

The lunches on the beach were a nice variety, the paella was excellent, and the taco bar was great as well. We unfortunately missed the BBQ on the beach, as we were snorkeling at the time.

Each night dinner was an affair of several courses, with extra food being brought out that we didn't order, and Carlos and Ferdnando taking care of us in the main restaurants. Twice there were special dinners in the Sabores, the restaurant that is typically for breakfast and lunch.

On the beach, Xavier took good care of us, spending quite a bit of time with me helping me brush up on my rusty spanish speaking.

Our room was nicely cared for, cleaned each morning when we were out at the pool, then again freshened up with candles and turn down service while we were at dinner.

The Yoga on the sky deck was nice, although we only tried it once.

Every person on staff there got to know us by name, spoke to me in english and/or spanish (as I know a little spanish), and made us feel special. The beach was beautiful, the resort is very quiet (don't come here if you are looking for a party 24/7).

Only complaint is there should be a little more selection for dinner. Even with the three restaurants it felt like by the end of the week that I wanted something different. Also, the mosquitos were bad some nights, and we didn't realize until the last night that if you tell the staff they will spray on your patio to make sure you can sit out at night after dinner.

We tipped each meal (just 20 to 40 pesos) and I could tell the service got even better as the week went along. I believe the staff took good care of everyone, but I could tell that they were appreciative of the small tips we gave.

Another tip. Visit Memo to go snorkeling. He is about 2 miles up the beach (go left when facing the ocean) and has a sailboat tied up. He isn't normally there during the day but if you go in the morning before 9 or after about 5:30 he should be there. His sailboat is the "8 Dwarfs" or something like that. It is a single mast boat, and he only takes 1 or 2 couples (3 max) out for snorkeling and a sail. He has been in the area for like 30 years. He is cheap, about $35 per person for a 3 hour sail. His attitude is indicative of the entire resort area, laid back, relaxed, not worried, not in a hurry, and friendly. We sailed with him and two ladies who were just walking down the beach and he showed up incredible sights in the coral reef. He even helped my wife who had a leaky mask and some other equipment problems, swimming back to the boat and bringing her new gear. He has all the gear you may need, or you can bring your own. We actually spent two days with him, the second being sight seeing, and it was incredible. He made our trip even better. http://www.captainmemosadventures.info/ is a site I've set up just to help you find out where he is and collect comments about his snorkeling trips. I just did it because it was simple and Memo gave us an incredible day of fun. I hope it helps.

On our last day, a few of the waiters and other staff came by to say bye to us, and Mauricio took a picture of us with his IPhone and sent it to me.

We are already talking about going back next year, just have to find someone to watch our kids again.

7 Thank WheresTheSpa
Houston
Reviewed 11 October 2009

I just returned from the El Dorado Maroma with my husband and two friends. I am a travel agent who has gone on site inspections of the Maroma many times and actually stayed there in May with my family. That trip was centered around work and I went this time strictly for pleasure.

I can tell you that is what we recieved. I had the anticipation of a wonderful and relaxing trip and I recieved that three fold. We were greeted by Paty and a glass of champagne, a welcome home greeting, a nice orientation of what to expect and escorted to our rooms by Jackie ( a doll of a lady). She is such a delight and each time you see her she is wearing a beautiufl smile, whether it be in the office or on the beach assisting people with whatever they need! We quickly looked at the incredible view we had, taking in the most gorgeous beach you can hope to see. Pristinely clean. They have gentlemen cleaning at least twice a day.

We went down to start enjoying the resort and met up with Lopez for our first dinner. He is an excellent waiter and again is always wearing a smile We had our first incredible meal with our friends who were completely impressed with the service and the quality of food. I have to admit, one of the reasons I wanted them to go with us was to get someone else's opinion of my favorite resort. After dinner, we went back to our rooms, which were impeccably clean and sat on the balcony and enjoyed our champagne watching the sun set.

The next morning I decided to order room service to check the quality, speed and temperature of the food. It was delivered precisely at 8:30 as requested and was incredible. I could go into the whole explanation of each of the foods, but you would get bored with my review:-) It was delivered in a wicker basket by wait staff, that even though he had to cart it up 4 floors, was friendly and smiling. Our breakfast was lovely while looking at the turquoise of the Caribbean. Fresh orange juice, eggs cooked to perfection, a plate of wonderful fruit and freshly baked rolls.

We all went down to the beach and Jackie met us with fresh juice, clean towels and asked if we would need anything else. What more could you want while laying in the lap of luxury? We observed several guests recieving a sky massage and the green eyed envy of jealousy took over. I signed up for the full body exfoliation. 50 minute massage and a moisturizing facial. They were having a great sale on the package, so it was an incredible deal. I can honestly say the spa is impeccable and Daniel was excellent. I had the exfoliation and then went out to the sky massage for my massage. I felt like a princess already and then went back to the spa for my facial. The day was set! I could not have been more relaxed. We went out to the Palapa where they were serving bar-b-que. It was excellent. Afterwards we ran into Gaby, the Sales Manager and Catarina! They are forever checking with everyone to make sure that all is good. Both ladies go the extra mile to make sure that you are getting the best of your experience at the resort. Cesar is wonderful at the bar and will will create whatever you have in mind and Xavier a great waiter.

All of the restaurants are overseen by Robin. I can't say enough about the extent he will go to. I mentioned my friends would love an all seafood dinner and although the night was going to be a fiesta, he presented us with the most incredible "made for us" seafood dinner. I have come to believe their motto is "nothing is impossible"! Gabriella, our waitress from May was thrilled to see us and it felt great to again, be remembered. One night they had a Soprano sing and I have to admit her voice brought tears to many while enjoying dinner. She is incredible. Another night they had a Mariachi band and they were equally as good in a completely different way.

So to wrap this up before writing a novel, I will say. It is the perfect resort for a get-a-way for friends and family. It is romance personified for those on a honeymoon. Weddings...ahhhhh, this is the place! I spoke to many guests and did not recieve one negative comment. You ask, you recieve.

I give Karisma 5 Stars for their efforts to make sure that all of their properties, El Dorado Royale, El Dorado Casitas, El Dorado Seasides, El Dorado Maroma, Azul Beach and Azul Sensatori are truly 5 Star resorts! Go, relax, enjoy and share your experiences with your friends. In this world we live in, the pleasures we recieve should be rememberd and shared.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank tkayhoneymoons
NE
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I spent our first week together as husband and wife at this wonderful resort. We chose this hotel because we wanted some place quiet, peaceful and beautiful to spend our honeymoon and we got all that and more. The room was beautiful, the service was impeccable, the food was wonderful and the entire staff was super helpful and friendly. We were continuously called by name and asked if there was anything that we needed. To add to all of this was one of the most beautiful beaches you could ever ask for just a short walk north of the resort. We also had a spectacular snorkel/sailing trip thanks to Nimo! All in all the honeymoon was everything we could have ever wanted for a romantic week in paradise.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dreamnofthebeach
Chicago
Reviewed 7 October 2009

El Dorado Maroma is absolutely wonderful. The previous reviewer is spot on so I won't duplicate everything he wrote. If you are looking for an intimate and romantic getaway this is it. We went on the snorkel afternoon trip which was awesome, we saw all sorts of fish, lobsters, sting ray, even a baracuda. The candle light dinner was great as well and I would recommend it even if you don't stay at this hotel. We stayed in room 401 which was a swim up suite with a great ocean view on the first floor and when we return I will definetly request this room again. The staff is great and I don't think one person walked by us and didn't say "hola" the entire time we were there. If you see Antonio when you are there flip him a couple of bucks for me, he is the best. In my opinion if you are looking for a small resort (72 rooms) with impacable service EDM is for you.

Oh yeah and the weather... It didn't rain once, nothing but 12 hours of sunshine everyday. Don't even look at the weather channel before you go like I did, it will be nice everyday!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank NJSChicago
chicago
Reviewed 3 October 2009

What an incredible place... Me and my wife have been to other all-inclusives like Sandals, Riu Caribe, etc. and this mid-size place blows them away. One of the most romantic, relaxing vacations we've ever taken.

We took a Lomas shuttle from the airport, about 45 mins to the resort. Upon arrival, we were greeted with the cool towels and sparkling wine while they told us about the resort. Our room (infiniti/jacuzzi suite) wasn't quite ready so we had some drinks and snacks down at the pool. They asked if there was an occasion for our visit and we mentioned it was for our anniversary.

The infiniti pool suites are very large, with new modern furniture. Everything was in perfect working order and well maintained. On your private balcony there are chairs and a bed for lounging and your own small private pool(!). Water temp was perfect - we used it a lot. We were on the second floor where the ocean view was mostly blocked by palm trees, next time we'd probably aim for 3rd or 4th floor.

In the morning we'd go out and lounge on the beach - there were always plenty of lounge chairs available, even though some mornings we didn't get out there until 11am. Drink service on the beach was very attentive. They have a lunch area right off the beach that we ate at most days -- just watch out for the habanero sauce at the salad bar that looks like ranch dressing!

The beach was soft and clean. You walk out into the water, and it slowly slopes off to some artificial breakers a hundred yards off the beach. We often would take our drinks out and just relax in the calm water. For a long beach walk, just head north past the small marina and there is huge stretch of empty beach.

The three restaurants all have very good food & wine, and we also had a beachfront candlelit dinner on one night which was terrific. Be warned tho - bring bug spray because at night they do have mosquitos.

They have a great little spa, and my wife talked me into a couples massage they do at a little hut down over the water , and while that is not really my thing, it was very relaxing.

The service was a perfect blend of attentive but not obtrusive -- with the waitstaff being friendly, helpful, and funny. A couple times when we came back to our room at night, they had put together towel sculptures for us, and sprinkled flower petals on our bed. On our last night there, after dinner we came back to the room and found a bubble bath waiting for us in the jacuzzi, with a flower arrangement done in the foam! These little touches really made it special.

I can't say enough good things about this place. If you like smaller, more laid-back intimate resorts with great service, great facilities, and a great beach this is it.

9 Thank jeff082
Tampa
Reviewed 17 September 2009

OK, first, the resort was only 45 Min's from the airport. My wife and I secured private transportation from Lomas Travel so we drove straight to the resort. A definite plus. We were greeted by very friendly resort staff and after a brief check in and glass of champaign we were given a tour of the resort and lunch while we waited our Jr swim up suite. We were escorted to our room and WOW, get the swim up. What a beautiful room with everything you could ask for. Bathroom's were huge, king bed, big flat screen TV (didn't use it), living room, outside\inside showers, jacuzzi and of course the swim up area which included yet another bed and lounge chairs. Like I said, WOW. I would recommend 602 up to 402 for best view and privacy. The pools were great, the drinks continued to flow, food was good, entertainment at night was adequate with some excellent talent emerging and a really fun casino night. Daytime events were slim. I would recommend the catamaran day trip tour out of Cancun for a day of sailing, snorkeling, shopping and dining for a very nice time to break up your stay at the resort. The people we met at the resort were very friendly to the point that we all gathered daily for fun and drink either at one of the pools, dinner or at Ricks Bar for nightly entertainment. We met really nice people here.

Now on to rumors:

Yes the resort is open... DUH
Yes the resort has some covered up signs that are explained to you if you ask.
The rooms were very safe
The staff was excellent, VERY accommodating, VERY friendly
The drinks were not watered down and you could ask for virtually any drink, believe me.
The place was very clean and the beach was raked daily.

This is a very nice place to get away, meet some new friends and relax. It is not a mega resort with 24/7 activities. That said, there's nothing wrong with making your own fun with new friends and family. The seven days we stayed went very fast, guess we had a good time.

10 Thank Skipperl
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!