“Perfect for a relaxing getaway...very enjoyable!”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 January 2010

When you arrive at the El Dorado Maroma the staff greets you with a glass of champagne, a hot towel, and a "Welcome to your home!". The EDM was truly our home away from home for ten days in January, 2010, and was perfect for rejuvenatiing!

The highest points: lovely landscaping and beach; ample chairs and lounging beds by the beach & pools; service beyond expectations and always with a smile; great food on a gourmet scale; peace and quiet! I will caution up front that if you are seeking a place where there is non-stop partying and a raucous younger crowd, this is not likely your kind of place. We are in the 50+ age bracket,and for us this place was ideal.

We were in the MiHotelito section, and the building was a bit older but impeccably clean. We were not satisfied with our initial room assignment (I'll tip you off -- Room 201, right on top of the poolside bar) but were quickly and easily moved to another room more to our liking. The room had a comfy king sized bed, TV and DVD player, and enough room to spread out for a long stay. The veranda had a lounging bed and a table and chairs. It was a great room -- our only complaint would be that smoking is allowed on verandas, and our neighbors were smokers -- so our veranda was not usable when they were outside, and we had to close the doors to the room to keep the no-longer-fresh air out at those times. I did make a suggestion that the hotel needs to designate one entire building as non-smoking so everyone could be happy. Who knows if this is even possible...!

We cannot say enough about the service. Every staff member went out of his/her way to engage us in conversation, to learn of our likes and dislikes, and to be sure we had everything we could wish for.

Food was excellent, especially the Asian restaurant. There are two "theme nights" each week -- Italian night with a soprano, and Mexican night with Mariachis. Both were fun but the Italian night was top notch. The soprano was gifted, engaging and entertaining. The General Manager was present and greeted each table personally, inquiring after our experiences and making sure we were satisfied. When we left the hotel he personally wished us a safe journey and asked about our stay. It was very nice, and we were made to feel valued as clients.

We hope to return to the EDM someday. It was a beautiful, restful and delightful experience!

4  Thank Toranut1997
Write a ReviewReviews (4,095)

Reviewed 14 January 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few days of a honeymoon at the end of December. We had just spent a week and a half vacationing with family and getting married in other parts of the Riviera Maya and were looking forward to a few days at a relaxing resort where we didn't have to think about anything.

First, the good things:
We received hot towels and glasses of champagne upon arrival. The beach was beautiful and had the softest, powder-fine white sand we saw all throughout the Riviera Maya. The food at the Asian restaurant was delicious, and the Italian place was okay. Lunch in the beach palapa was way better than lunch in the restaurant. Rick's bar was fun and had a pool table, dart table (magnetic) and other games along those lines. Room service for us was pretty quick service.

The disappointing things:
When we got there to check in, we were earlier than our check-in time, so we ate lunch and just hung out on the beds and chairs they have all over the place. At one point the concierge came by and said he just had to drop one thing off and would be right back to take us to our room because it was ready. More than an hour later he came back, and said "oh yeah, your room wasn't actually ready before when I said it was." He gave us a tour of the room, and when he showed us the mini-fridge it was 1) not re-stocked, and 2) had a half drunk glass of something white and creamy in it. When he brought us our bags, they weren't our bags. When we told him that he got really defensive and said that it was the tag that matched the room. Which to me means either the bags were mis-tagged or we were in the wrong room... but he eventually believed us and went and brought us our bags. He also asked if we were interested in a free upgrade of our room, and when we said yes he then told us that there wasn't anything available, but maybe there would be in 2 or 3 days. In the bathroom, there was no water that came out of the faucet when we turned the hot water on. When we called the front desk, their response was "sometimes you have to let it run for a little while before it will be really hot." Again, I felt like we had to negotiate with them a little more than necessary to get them to send someone to fix the water.

Our room was right next to one of the pools, and we were assured that it wouldn't be noisy or keep us up at night since the bar there closed at 10 and then Rick's bar was open late, which was away from the rooms and not noisy. Well, Rick's bar was closed that first night, so they kept the pool bar open late and we could definitely hear people well after midnight still out there. The next morning we received a note from the concierge desk saying they expected us at a specific time so they could fully discuss all the amenities of the hotel. When we showed up, they had nothing to say to us and seemed more annoyed that we were there but didn't need anything specific. We asked about Rick's bar being closed the night before and their response was "oh it wasn't closed." Again, we had to explain ourselves before she called and talked to someone, and found out that it was in fact closed the night before and would be closed again that night. We were there for New Year's Eve, and they put on a big party, but we asked specifically, and were assured numerous times, that all the restaurants would still be open if we wanted to eat there instead. It turns out they weren't.

There was a daily schedule of events that were offered around the hotel, but I'm not sure if any of these actually happened. We were in the pool area where Towel Folding was supposed to take place, and I think it ended up starting an hour late because they had to find towels for the event. They also advertised a coffee and dessert sunset event, but when we showed up for that the guy told us he could only give us water because the kitchen was closed and didn't seem to know anything about the advertised event.

The drinks were not very good. Tecate beer and sugary mixed drinks. The main restaurant was average at best. The room service menu was disappointing- hot dogs and hamburgers for lunch, chicken burritos for dinner. When we ordered room service breakfast, the jams that were delivered with our toast had already been opened and used.

The beach setting is beautiful, but there is nothing else around within walking distance. Even though it was all-inclusive, we contemplated trying to go somewhere else for dinner one night, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle of getting a taxi to Playa del Carmen, and there was nothing close by that we could walk to. All in all, we just felt that a lot of little things were overlooked at this place, and for the amount of money we paid, there shouldn't be that many oversights or an automatic defensive response to an issue that guests bring up. We would never consider going back to this place, and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank akmnor
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We had a nice room, but half of the stuff wasn't working or not clean. The jacuzzi tub shut on and off every 5 minutes. We told the consierges 3 different times but it never got fixed. After the second try, there was greasy little finger prints on the tub...romantic. The outdoor patio only got cleaned after we asked and the food was ok. The Asian place and the beach food were nice, but the Italian and Sabores sucked. The menus were fancy but the food was not so nice. I was definitely ready to eat somewhere else after 6 days. The beach was nice, but the sandbags 100 meters off the beach bothered my wife. It was an ok place, but not worth the money. Steer clear of the sales pitch. The concierge really tried telling me how great the benefits were and how I was too young to know what a nice hotel looked like. I explained I am very well traveled due to my job and the service here sucked. If your food is not there within 30 minutes from when you request it, room service has forgotten. The amount of really fresh fruits available did not compete with other places I have stayed. The desserts were bad as well. I had just returned from a hotel in Colorado for about 10% of the cost, and it was much nicer. The other guests were really cool and the staff was nice, but overall a bad stay. They also charge for the internet!!!!! Hello it is 2010, everywhere has free WIFI. One more thing, we had the outdoor shower and it made a lot of noise in the night due to wind. Best of luck, but I do not recommend this place.

2  Thank RBnDasa
Reviewed 11 January 2010

When you really need a vacation, El Dorado Maroma is as good as it gets. It's hard
to list what I liked best because I liked everything from the best staff in Riviera Maya,
the gourmet food or whole crispy fish served on the beach for lunch, the romantic
Italian Restaurant or breakfast served room service, under a palapa or in an AC
restaurant. EDM is a perfect place to vacation with your honey and/or your friends.
I traveled with both. We hung out on a beach bed, caught some sun on the beach,
took long walks stopping to visit with the most friendly guest I've ever encountered
at a resort. There were so many repeat guest who all had vacation memories to share.
I can't say this is like home away from home because I don't have anyone at home waiting on me, smiling and saying "Hola" and preparing fantastic drinks and food but
I could certainly move into EDM tomorrow.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank jseagull09
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We stayed at the El Dorado Maroma from Jan 1 - 10 and overall loved the resort!
The food is absolutely amazing, the staff are even better!

One downfall I found with this resort was there spa. I don't mind spending money on treatments if they are carried out properly but the Maroma was lacking. They didn't have any wraps or scrubs in stock, which I was looking forward to and their personnel didn't have any consistency. For a resort that promotes themselves as a spa I expected a bit more from them and it was just disappointing. Of course it didn't ruin our vacation but if you're looking for a mainly spa getaway this isn't the resort. I would recommend the El Dorado Royale Casitas instead!

Overall, an amazing trip.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

2  Thank lrwltn
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I will always remember the best time of my life. It was at the El Dorado Meroma Resort. It's the most amazing hotel with the best service and friendliest personnel I've ever been to. The food is amazing and the view of the ocean is spectacular. The people there treat you like you're someone famous. I can't say enough about this resort. If you're planning a trip to the Yucatan, you will definitely want to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaromaFan
Reviewed 6 January 2010

This property will not "wow" you. We had great weather, a nice time, enjoyed the beaches - but would never return to this hotel. We love this area and will return but to different accommodations.

PROS:
GOOD ROOM with great beds, nice towels, nice showers - both indoor and outdoor
Decent Beach

CONS:
FOOD:
First: they "claim" to have three restaurants - they have one with three poor menus. The restaurant is sectioned off into three seating areas where they serve each cuisine.
Second: this chef tries to be "fancy" and ruins EVERYTHING. He tries to be Jose Andres (yumm) and uses Molecular Gastronomy but uses it SO poorly that it ruins the dishes. He will make "foam" and put it on toasted white bread - it looks impressive but taste like soggy wet toast.
Third: the menus stay the same - so you will have the SAME choices of poor food (asian, mexican and italian) over and over again. Also all the ingredients are recycled - you know what they have "bought" for the week because every menu will feature the same ingredients regardless of if you order breakfast, lunch, asian, mexican or italian.
Fourth: we were truly looking forward to having a healthy trip with fresh fruit and veggies - but they don't have that. They use low quality food. The fruit they serve is Honey Dew, Grapes - you will not find any fresh berries in site.
Fifth: you will enjoy this food if you eat at Chilies, Cocos, national chain restaurants.

GYM: it's small and poorly equipt

POOLS: NO POOL ARE HEATED - the water is very cold. The private infinity pools aren't heated either. The only pool which is heated in the small 2 feed deep water outside the swim-ups. This, however, is heated by a wood burning brick oven outside casitas #8. This heater is inefficient AND they SMELL (terribly smell the property especially the #800 rooms)

BUGS: if you are sweet they will bite you to death.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Playa Maroma

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!