“Unbelievable”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We traveled to EDM for our honeymoon 5/24-5/30... we are mid 40s. I have been to the cancun / riviera maya are at least 10 times and this is by far the best resort I have ever stayed at. The staff were incredible.! Corina, Carmina, Paola, Estrella, Oscar, Cesar, Luis from lomas all went out of their way to make sure our honeymoon was awesome. After the first day everyone knew our name. We had a candlelight lobster dinner on the beach and when we returned our jacuzzi was filled with bubbles and rose petals with candles all around. Drinks were premium liqour and they would make anything you wanted..never waited in line for a drink..there were always avaiulable beach beds and pool beds..we stayed at the swim up jacuzzzi suite...queen size bed on patio..outdoor shower..all you could ask for..we ordered room service several times...always prompt and friendly...one day our ac wasnt cooling very welk and they were there in less than 5 minutes to fix it...food was all a la carte..best i have has in mexico...the hibachi grill was awesome as well as our lobster dinner...every day they have different items to cook..one day fish market where you pick the fish and they cook!!! We will definitely return to this resort and no where else...I have stayed at all the major resorts in the region and none compare!! Feel free to email me with any questions..

4  Thank suziq2Texas
There are newer reviews for El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed at the Maroma Feb 19 26 after spending the first week at it's sister resort Eldorado Royale (which was great too!). The Maroma is much smaller (80 rooms) than any previous resort we have stayed. However the culture of the resort seems to have built itself around it's size. From the moment you arrive, the staff are super friendly and make you feel at home. Check-in was relaxing and easy - no lineups. We were offered champagne but requested a cold beer which was delivered in minutes. The Infinity Pool Suite was terrific with a spectacular view of the Carribean Sea over to Cozumel.

The resort currently has three restaurants with a fourth being opened on the beach this Spring. In keeping with Karisma's (the resort parent company) Gourmet Inclusive model - each restaurant was a la carte. All the food was great and the service was perfect. This resort is located on Maroma Beach which stretches for miles and is a beautiful white sand beach. There is a small marina located at the resort which is owned by the Karisma Group I beleive and out of their operates para-sailing, fishing and sunset cruises. It adds a little something to watch and do during the day.

All in all - from the rooms, food and surroundings - this a terrific resort. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing or romantic holiday - this is the place. However - I have saved the best for last. The management and staff at the Maroma truly understand the holiday experience and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect. I believe this starts with their General Manager - Alfredo - who introduced himself and gave us a guided tour of the new restaurant. Throughout our week Alfredo always stopped to see how things were going. We were invited to a special "dinner of the worlds" put on by the resort - and it was intimate and fun. We were introduced to the chef and staff by name and each dish was described prior to serving. It was a wonderful night.

There were many staff who seem to make it their personal misson to make our holiday just right. It started with our Beach Butler Perla who took us immediately to the beach, arranged for drinks and food and took care of us all week. Everyday Perla would check on everyone to see if they needed anything. I can't say enough about Perla except thanks!! She is really a gem for this resort. Our concierge was Monyka - and she was also amazing. She made sure all our reservations were made for the week, took care of any small issues - and even arranged with the kitchen for a special a la carte meal in our room the last night.

The other person we have to thank would be Noe. I'm not sure what Noe's title was - he seemed to be everywhere from the office to the sunset cruise. At the time we were selling our house back home and had to receive an offer and reply during that week. Both Monyka and Noe went above and beyond to help us recieve, print, scan and e-mail the offer. This meant so much to us and we wanted to say again thanks.

To be honest - this is the first review I have ever written. We have made a habit of staying at Karisma properties the past number of years and they have all been great. But when we left Maroma - we really felt we were leaving friends. I think this is part the Karisma culture and part Alfredo's management style which is evident within all his staff. We have already booked our stay for next year and are taking another couple this time so they could experience it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dkdunnett
Reviewed 24 May 2010

From the moment we checked in, until the time we left (6 nights) the complete staff made this feel like family. The service and quality of the room staff and restaurants excelled any other place I've ever stayed. The room was extremely well equipped and better than advertised and the restaurants (all 3) were like gourmet at home. I was so impressed the attendants at the pool bar remembered our names after day 1.
The cabanas were always clean and available, the water was as blue or bluer than Frank Sinatras eyes and the activities were enough to entertain you both day and night. The conciere recommended a really good dive facility for my 2 tank dive and arranged day trips to town and the water park (another must do) Absolutly no negatives to this resort.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Captain_0224
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I apologize for the late review---stayed for a week in April 2009--but wanted to give my props to this wonderful resort. I've stayed at a few pretty upscale all-inclusives in Mexico and the Caribbean; but the El Dorado Maroma is probably the best.
It's a smaller (70-some rooms), quiet, boutique resort; but because of the this--the staff gives you amazing service and attention. Most of the full-time staff (concierge, front desk, etc) knew you by name after a couple days because you'd bump into them in the small resort.
The food was amazing. A little limited, I suppose, with only three restaurants--but they were all very good.
Room service was always prompt and hot. It was the type of all-inclusve where you could ask for something off the menu (room service or at one of the restaurants) and they usually can get it for you. They did for me the couple times I asked, anyway.
To give an example of their unbelievable service, I asked them the possibility of stocking the fridge daily with sugar free Red Bull instead of Coke. The girl (I wish I could remember her name!) said they usually don't but that she'd run to the store and get them for me. I tried to pay her cash for it and she refused! She also wouldn't let me carry it from her car and offered to have them stock 2 or 3 in each day, as opposed to having me get them all at once. It was THAT type of great service!
It definitely isn't the loud, party type resort and is totally geared toward romance and couples. As a matter of fact, at night at the only bar open--we were the only ones there or there with one or two other couples.
The pool and pool bar were beautiful and the servers came by as often as you needed with drinks. The quality of the drinks (top shelf: I requested and received Grey Goose when ever requested) were exceptional. Some favorite mixed cocktails were the traditional Miami Vice and the Pink Panther (something with Vodka that was delicious). If you ever felt like a drink wasn't strong enough--all you'd have to do was ask to put more liquor in it or make it a double.
The beach was beautiful. I'm not sure if it's truly deserving of being one of the top 5 or 10 beaches in the world--but definitely was outstanding. There were a good number of areas with patches of seaweed, I guess to have that lofty of a grade. Don't get me wrong: it was very beautiful, very swimmable, etc--but I've seen beaches that were prettier. The great thing about the resort was that you could walk for a long ways (a mile or so) without another resort--at least a year ago. It would have felt like the stereotypical "deserted island", if it wasn't for the occasional couple walking in the other direction. It made it great to run on the beach, though--which I did almost every day. The fitness center was also nice. Not huge or anything but definitely adequate with newer treadmills.
The location is great for a trip into Playa Del Carmen. A $20 cab ride and you're there.
I stayed in an Infinity Pool Suite. It had the standard jacuzzi in the room (very nice). Also, a normal shower/tub; but the additional outdoor shower. I loved being able to shower outside--so refreshing with the fresh air! It is also covered enough, so no one else can see you. The "infinity pool" is on the balcony. It was maybe 12 feet long by a couple feet wide. It was not heated and a little cold for our taste, but it was nice to soak your feet in there. If it was really hot and you wanted to cool off, it could definitely be refreshing. The balcony/pool was pretty private; but if you and the neighboring Infinity Pool Suite people were out on their balconies/in their pool--you could definitely hear each other. You couldn't see them, as the balconies were divided by a wall.
I probably wouldn't have paid the full price for the Infinity Pool room, but they had a 50% off (pay one for the price of two people per night) promotion through my Exotic Resorts time share (El Dorado Royale, El Dorado Seaside, Azul, etc). Instead of being $720 USD r so a night--it was $360.
As for the time share presentation itself: I would recommend sitting through it. It is pretty painless (not too high pressure). You get to eat some finger foods, drink some champagne or wine, etc. And you get resort dollars (I think it was $150 or $200). The resort dollars also used to be able to be used at some select restaurants in Playa Del Carmen (a couple years ago, at least)--but not sure if that's still the case.
You can do whatever you feel is right; but I always tip the waiters, bartenders and housekeeping. Although, tips are "included"--they really don't make much and work VERY hard in hot weather. I feel they deserve a couple US Dollars here and there. I don't know if it helps the service or not, but I feel a lot better doing it. Especially, since I worked in the service industry growing up and know how important tips used to be!
If you want a romantic vacation with your loved one--I'd highly recommend it. The Marina is next door and never took away from the ambience at all. Plus, you could do all of the extra excursions right there if you wanted: jet skis, parasailing, catermaran, scuba/snorkeling excusions,etc. The only improvement that I hope they've done since last year was to add an ATM machine at the resort. They didn't have one.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelTimeGuy
Reviewed 17 May 2010

On May 13 we arrived home from our third stay at the wonderful El Dorado Maroma. It was excellent as always! Alfredo and his staff do an amazing job and are there to ensure you will have a wonderful vacation. If you need/want anything all you have to do is ask and they will do what they can to satisfy you.

The new beach restaurant is a wonderful addition to the EDM. Taco day was one of my favorites but I was a bit sad to see no chorizo and potato filling available. The chef heard me and said, no problem, give me 2 minutes and I will have it for you. I got a few other tacos and went out to the table with my husband and our friends and we started eating. Next thing we know, the chef is there with 4 tacos for us to enjoy! This is the kind of service you can count on at the EDM.

We are returning in September and the time can not pass soon enough for us. Bravo to Alfredo, Ana, Katerina, Susan, Paloma, Cesar, Estrella, Chef Efraim, Gaby, Alfonso...I could go on and on...you have all made our visits to the EDM wonderful memories and we are looking forward to creating many more memories at our home away from home!

4  Thank akandal
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Usually by the end of a vacation, I have had enough and I'm looking forward to going home. Not this time. When our last day in paradise came upon us, my husband and I were both a little depressed at the prospect of having to leave.

We have both stayed at some very nice all-inclusives, and there have been some that are more opulent, some that have had more restaurants, some that have offered more activities, some that have claimed first-class service, but El Dorado Maroma beat them all, hands-down.

I will not repeat what everyone else has said. It is all true, and then some. I will only address some concerns we had before going, hopefully putting any of the same questions you had to rest. Before going, I was a little concerned that from the pictures of this place, it may not be as lavish as some of those mega-resorts with the huge marble open-air lobbies and ultra modern furnishings; however, when you get here, the understated rustic quality of the place helps reinforce the feeling you are on your own desert island. The flowers and vegetation are so lush and beautiful, further promoting the idea you are in a tropical paradise. They were 70% booked when we were there in early May, but it was so quiet and peaceful. I promise there were more employees than guests!

I was concerned that we would get tired of only 3 restaurants (with a 4th--the new "lunch palapa"--only open at lunch). This was not the case at all. The first day you arrive, your personal concierge sits down with you and helps you plan your week. Throughout the week, they have special 6 course meals, and if you want to participate in these, she will write the times on an itenerary for you so you don't forget. We went to an Italian night featuring a very talented Opera singer and also a special "Around the World" dinner with each course from a different country. That was my favorite. One evening, after a day-long excursion to Chichen Itza that our concierge, Carmina, planned for us, we came back and had a room service dinner. When all was said and done, we really never ended up having dinner from the same menu twice. One thing I will mention, I would not really call this gourmet dining like we would expect back home, but the food is nicely presented and beats other all-inclusive resorts offerings, hands down!

Before the trip, I was concerned that I would get bored with all this luxury and pampering. With the help of your personal concierge, you can make this trip as relaxing or as active as you desire. We customized our stay so that we would have something special to do most days. One day we took a free kayaking trip to a sink hole to snorkel with Thiago, their activities coordinator. One day, we took a free shuttle to Playa del Carmen for some shopping and sightseeing. (If you do this, just a word of warning, take $25 for cab fare as you will most likely want to come back early. We set out at noon with about 6 other couples. When the shuttle came for us at 5:45, there were only 2 couples who hadn't taken a taxi back early.) One day we booked a tour to Chichen Itza. With all the personalized service, there was never a dull moment.

Being in our forties, another concern we had was that we'd be either the oldest people there, or the youngest. Not so at all! It was a nice blend of all age groups, from newlyweds to retirees. Usually all the party people congregated at the pool bar in the newer area, so when they started getting a little raucous, we'd go to the older, quieter pool where Emilio, the bartender, would entertain us with his wit and charm.

We were here for relaxation and romance, so we pretty much kept to ourselves and quite enjoyed the solitude of our private infinity pool. Of the four couples close to our age that we spoke to, all of them had been there before, often multiple times. You can't get a better recommendation than that! I couldn't decide whether I would prefer this resort or the Casitas at El Dorado Royale. After speaking with them (one couple had stayed in many of the Karisma resorts), the Casitas would be their second recommendation, but with the intimate size of El Dorado Maroma, this place couldn't be beat. Oh--NEWS FLASH!--They are planning to build some bures (over the water suites) here like they have in Fiji. As if it weren't perfect enough, this would be the icing on the cake!

In summary, take it from me, and all of their repeat customers, if you want truly unparalleled service in a lush, romantic tropical setting, you will find no better resort than this.

6  Thank NC-Happy-Camper
Reviewed 14 May 2010

after an awful travel day, we arrived here to be greeted by Patti & five other wonderful staff making our daytime travel miseries a quick forgotten memory. Monyka our concierge through exoctic was wonderful, all the staff made us feel very welcome. My husband & I both loved the spa services which was a treat we decided to enjoy and I especially loved Jasmine who did a great job! Tried some of the different massages (the Thai massage which actually was a great strectching work out/massage & the lymphatic drainage massage really was relaxing and not as invasive as some ppl told me it might be). Enjoyed the food and never got bored & liked the variety of the daily changing lunch specials at the beachside restaurant. Enjoyed the quietness and quality of people that chose this beautiful resort and met new friends and enjoyed the company of everyone we met. Minor construction going on with some additions but unlike some previous reviews, it was loud enough to even bother us and probably noticed it becuz of previous reviews I had read. Really would not hesitate to come back!

1  Thank chesterhouse3
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!