“What a gem!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas
“What a gem!”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

There are not enough words to describe how much we enjoyed our visit to this beautiful hotel. We spent 7 glorious days on the Mi Hotelito side of this property and could not have been more pleased. We were told the hotel was small and a little out of the way but what we found was a small gem with all the attitude of the Hope Diamond. The rooms are large and romantic and steps from the most perfect beach with an abundance of chaises and private beds. The food was exceptional and the wait staff attentive and accommodating. With all the things that were perfect here the thing that impressed us most was that every member of the staff, from the gardeners to the head chef, spoke to us personally. We felt like we were amoung friends. Way to go Alfredo!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank HappyTraveler052010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
Alberta Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Amazing resort with incredible staff that keep us going back again and again!

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank NeikaAlbertaCanada
NewYork
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My title pretty much sums it up. My husband and I wanted in all couples resort. We dont club or gamble so "El Dorado Maroma" was our best choice. Upon arrival the staff greeted us with a warm welcome of champagne and wet towels for our face. It was very humid outside so that was perfect. Next we got a tour of the place and I just loved how the staffs uniform was coordinated. It makes you feel like your really in Mexico! My husband and I love doing tours so we went to the marina next door and did the horse back riding for 2 hours. I specifically love that about el dorado. The fact that it is a secluded hotel but the marina next door provides activities. My husband and I did parasailing, horse ride, oceon safari, and the couple beach dinner and sunset cruise. I highly recomend all of them.

The staff at this place is amazing! We felt like they wanted to please us in every way and they did! The waiters are very very NICE. They were all so helpful and hard working. My husband and I specifically loved "Vale" this guy was really professional and knew everything about the food, the wine, sauces etc. Sabores was our favorite restaurant because Vale worked there and the food was amazing everytime. This hotel does live by its name because the food is in fact very gourmet. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all suberb. I loved there desserts as well.

The beach was never crowded and it was always easy to find a seat or palapa.I found it incredible how much sting rays you can actually see on the shore during the evening. I spotted alot of fish in this beach that I had never ever seen before.

Rooms: we stayed in "Mi hotelito" I loved the beds. The most cofortable bed I have ever slept in. Besides the beds and the aroma they place in you room every day our fridge was always stacked with juices, sodas and snacks.

During our first night Ricks Bar had a show of mexican traditional dance and I really enjoyed that.

The spa was one of my favorite activities. Minell gave me my sky massage and she did an excellent job.

My husband and I loved this place and hope we can return once again.

5 Thank orozcoyuri
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My husband and I just got back from our vacation from this “so-called top rated” resort for my 50th birthday. We were extremely disappointed with everything at the Resort. We were told that this was a 6 star resort. I have camped at better places than this!
Here are a few of the shortcomings that we observed at this “so-called” resort:
• Sewage odors from the nearby sewage plant were prevalent on many of the days.
• Mosquitoes invade the resort at dusk. My husband and I returned covered with mosquito bites on our arms, legs, and torso. I can’t even tell you how bad the bites are. I am talking hundreds!
• Many service staff asked if we needed anything and then did not follow through. Some of the service staff were rude and asked us to sit down and wait. This is not top rated service.
• A top-rated all-inclusive resort would include more than 2 cans of Tecate for in-room alcohol.
• A top-rated resort would provide shuttles to the City more frequently than twice per week. Due to our Sunday arrival and departure we were only able to travel to Playa del Carmen on one day, Wednesday. Also, when all 8 riders in the shuttle requested to return to the resort at 4 pm rather than the scheduled 6 pm we were told to take a taxi. That is not top-rated service.
• The resort facilities are not equal to the same level of current top-rated accommodations.
• The food was of moderate quality, with limited menus. Yes, they state they have 24 hour room service. There are 4 items on the menu which include a hamburger and a hotdog.
• We did not receive an ocean view; rather we had a view of dead bugs.
• The rooms were smelly, moldy, had no dead bolts.
• Construction on one side of the hotel was very loud.
• The pools looked dirty.

I could go on and on and on and on, but I think that you get the point. My husband and I have been to Mexico a handful of times and have never been mislead or disappointed. TRUST US if you want a wonderful vacation at a top 5-6 star resort DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED TIME OR MONEY HERE! This is a maybe 3 star resort wanting you to pay a 6 star price.

18 Thank sskicolorado
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just returned from our vacation at El Dorado Maroma and I wanted to write a review about our stay while everything is fresh on my mind. Afterall, Trip Advisor reviews were the reason we chose this hotel in the first place!
My review may be a little lengthy, but I promise I will tell you everything you would want to know..including who to go to for GREAT snorkeling!! Just to let you know, I am mid 30's, my husband is late 40's, we were there to celebrate our honeymoon. First of all, we were welcomed with glass of champagne and checking in took less than 5 minutes before we were on our way to our room. This is the first time at a resort that we have not had to wait forever for our room! They have a gym, a spa and Rick's Bar for nightly entertainment.
We stayed in swim up suite #402. Our room was BIG and spacious, with a nice indoor jacuzzi tub. There were candles lit and the room was nice and cold when we walked in! The A/C is fabulous and you can operate it with the remote control. Our room never felt humid or muggy like every other time we've stayed in other hotels nearby. There were 2 ceiling fans in the room - one in the sitting area and one right above our bed. The rooms have a safe to lock up your valuables, a hair dryer, bath robes, and slippers. And don't worry about wrinkled clothes - there is an iron and ironing board to use in each room. There is plenty of closet space to hang your clothes and plenty of drawers in the dresser to put your things. There is a small mini-bar which has soft drinks, bottled water and beer (Tecate). Unfortunately, there is no liquor in the rooms (one of the two complaints we had). Our room had the most comfortable bed!!! It was heavenly !
We were glad we chose the swim up suite - easy access to main pool, no stairs to climb, and a nice big patio! Several other couples told us they had the infinity suite, but could not even get in their infinity pool because it was like ICE ( and this is when it is scorching hot outside). Many of the suites with infinity pool are in the shade and never get the sunlight. Also, the water is not filtered in the individual pools - it just sits there, almost stagnant. Of course it is chloronated, but I was MUCH happier with the swim up suite. The bottom line is, hardly anyone spends that much time in their room, other than to sleep and shower. So, whether or not we had a fabulous view from the top floor, did not matter because we were never in the room! There are no elevators, so if you get a 4th floor room, be prepared to climb some stairs!
There was never a problem finding a chair by the pool. We spent a lot of our time at the main pool. There was never a line at the swim up bar. The bartenders will make you anything your heart desires. They do offer premium liquor, which made us happy! It was nice to relax and completely unwind without kids running around screaming or any loud obnoxious teenagers. (Even though I was once one of them). We saw only couples the entire time we were there...ranging from 20-somethings to 60-somethings and everything in between. DO NOT FORGET your sunscreen - a couple we met bought sunscreen in the gift shop on the property and paid $27 US dollars! We had the same exact bottle - that we had brought with us and got for $8 back home!!!
Breakfast was great in Sabores restaurant....they offer small buffett or you can order off the menu (or both!). They had omelets, waffles, fruit, etc. My favorite was the eggs benedict. They have a bloody mary / mimosa self-serve bar set up at breakfast every morning.
Lunch in the new restaurant was great. It overlooks the ocean..very nice scenery. They served something different every day. One day was a taco bar, then a bbq, then shrimp/fish, etc. Always had great fresh guacamole!! :)
We ate dinner in Sabores each night. They have a different theme each night and a photographer outside taking pictures of each couple. First night was Italian night - which we like a lot! I would highly recommend the fettucine with mushrooms in a cream sauce. Our FAVORITE! The penne with shrimp in cream sauce was also delicious!!!! I would NOT recommend the beef ravioli. I had read from another person on here that is tasted like chef-boy-r-d out of a can and they were right. That was the only thing we were not impressed with. Mexican night was fabulous.....The Beef Tenderloin is a MUST. Tender, very flavorful and delicious. They had mariachi's singing - which everyone loved. Each night, you get a choice of appetizer, a soup, an entree and a little dessert. The portions are small, but you can always order more if you're still hungry. We chose to not go to the oriental restaurant on the property - we heard from several people that it was not very good at all.
If you want to go snorkeling, you must go find Captain Memo! WAY cheaper and much longer time out on the water ! (You do NOT book him through the hotel) And don't ask about him at the resort or they will try to talk you out of using him - obviously, because they want you to use their person on site ! We walked up the beach about 15 minutes north of the resort and found him. His boat is not marked - it is white. I have pictures of him and his boat if you are interested. He usually takes people out from about 10am - 1pm and then from 2pm - 5pm, so try to go early in the morning (before 10) to book your spot! He will take you sailing for 2 hours AND snorkeling for 1 hour for only $40 a person! We did not want to sail that long, so he let us snorkel longer. He will accomodate you however you like! He has been there many years and is very knowledgeable about the entire island. He snorkeled with us and showed us where all the beautiful coral reefs and gorgeous fish were. He was funny and very friendly. He only takes one or two couples at a time. It is so much better to get all the personal attention instead of going with a big group. You can tell he is there because he loves what he does and not to rip anyone off. He has all the snorkel gear and fins. DONT FORGET to bring an underwater disposable camera. You will get some amazing shots. Get it BEFORE you leave home - You can get them at Target or Walmart for about 9 bucks.
Overall, our stay was amazing. We came to relax and spent time with each other in a low-key environment. It was exactly what we were expecting. We met several couples and shared plenty of laughs with them. We loved the feel of this small secluded resort. Only about 72 rooms. We never left the resort - and loved it! If you want to see the prettiest part of the beach, walk north of the resort - there is nothing but white sand and turquoise water for miles. Much prettier than the beach area by the resort.
We are hoping to go back next year. I would be happy to answer any questions! Please send me an email!

7 Thank pchels
New York
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Just got back from a 4 night stay w/ my husband as a quick getaway vacation.The resort was beautiful. Upon entering the resort we were a little skeptical because the lobby is NOT grand. We have stayed at El Dorado Royal a few years ago and our 1st experience there was fantastic. However, with that said, our check-in was flawless, as was our quick tour around the resort. Our room, 511, overlooked the main pool and ocean and had a infinity pool. Again, beautiful. Walking the resort you sometimes feel like you have the resort to yourself. Very peaceful, not crowded, no rushing for beach or pool chairs.
The most beautiful beach around with great butler service. Very intimate resort with everything within walking distant (restaurants, pools, bars, spa).
The service was great. Casear and Oscar, bartenders at the swim up bar at the main pool, were the best as well as Alessandro at Rick's bar. We will miss them. They were awesome!
We liked that if you wanted to eat in the restaurants you didn't have to make reservations so we never felt rushed to go to dinner. The theme nights in one of the restaurants was interesting.
With that said, I only rate this resort 4 stars because while the food for breakfast and lunch were by far some of the best meals we've had, dinner was a huge disappointment. The service was beyond our expectations but the food lacked luster. We ate at both restaurants, Mio and Kiyoko, and were very disappointed. We went to the theme nights- Mayan, Mexican- not good. They made a great effort but nowhere close to the lunch meals.
Lunch- BBQ theme, Mexican day, Paella- all extremely good. Lunch at Sabora was so good we wondered why they didn't extend it for dinner. We would have been much happier.
Our only other complaint was the concergie at our arrival. She was very pushy with us. When we explained that we were just here to relax and wanted no activities planned she became a little obnoxious and surprised. Having only a few days there we didn't want to waste 1 1/2 hours listening to them try to sell us on their vacation club.
Oh, and can't forget the massage on the beach- highly, highly recommend. One of the most relaxing experiences ever!
Kudos to the entire staff for their upbeat attitudes. Everyone (except the conceirge) was friendly, hard working, and made our vacation that much better.
Can't wait to go back!!!! Miss the beach and staff!

3 Thank Michele S
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My travel agent Cathy Banks at Legacy travel in Plano Tx reccommended this place to my wife and I. ive been all over the world, stayed in the finest hotels etc etc.... This place is a hidden treasure. Thanks cathy!!! We are def. going back soon

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!