“The Perfect Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“The Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed 14 July 2010

It was one year ago this week that my wife and I traveled to El Dorado Maroma for our honeymoon. After a great deal of research we selected this facility because it met virtually all of our criteria...all-inclusive, gormet food, adults only, tropical setting and limited space. Not only were our expectations met but they were exceeded in every way we could have asked for. The only reason I waited this long to write was I wanted to see if I felt the same after some time had passed. Well not only do I feel the same but my fondness for it has grown.
The trip from the airport was crowded in the van - it made several stops on the way to EDM to drop off other vacationers at other resorts - but as we drove through the mangrove trees we knew this would be perfect. Isolated and perfect.
Check in was handled quickly and smoothly with champagne and a cool towel offered since the heat in Mexico in July is intense. Our room, on the ocean side, was beautiful with each and every amenity just as it was described in the information I had read.
Our first day there we were given a quick tour to make sure we knew where everything was and from that point we were on our own. Our first dinner was at the Japanese restaurant and it did not disappoint! We actually thought we would eat every meal there we enjoyed it so much but we found every restaurant to have it's own personality and flavor with one common thread - gormet style quality food with beautiful presentation. Whether it was breakfast or one of the specialty dinners every meal was prepared perfectly. That is not say that every food was to our liking but it had nothing to do with quality or presentation, just personal preference.
There is very little night life here or for that matter much in the way of organized activities - which is just what we wanted. After all of the demands of a wedding the last thing we wanted was hundreds of people all trying to out-do one another. There were some things scheduled that you could take advantage of but we wanted to make our own schedule as much or as little as we wanted with the option everyday to be spontaneous (like para-sailing from the marina next door - a GREAT experience) or make our trips to the restaurants, pools or beach the most strenuous thing we did all day.
The staff was very attentive but also respected our desire not to be inundated with service. Everyone was very friendly and seemed to genuinely appreciate what their responsibilites were in maintaining a first-class facility. Even the grounds crew, on very, very hot days, stopped what they were doing to look you in the eye, smile and offer a cheery "Hola" whenever you walked by.
The only slight negative was having to endure a presentation from the company that runs the vacation booking part of the hotel. The gentleman who welcomed us when we agreed to sit throught this was very pleasant but then passed us off to the heavy who did apply some pressure for us to sign on. Actually he made some very tempting offers but we were honest from the beginning about not being in a place to make a commitment and after not too long a time they relented and we were done. The upgrade to a lobster dinner for our beach dinner made it worthwhile and it in no way detracted from our experience - rather it has been good for a laugh each time we talk about it.
I, too, have read the negative comments posted on this site and I could not more strongly disagree with those assessments. Whatever we wanted, all we had to do was ask. Nothing was denied us and if it was a little unusual or not something they normally did, they found a way. In summary, if you are looking for a quiet, gormet, pampered vacation than you could not make a better decision than EDM. This would not be the best place for 20-something newlyweds who are geared toward late night partying and the bar or club scene. But if relaxation is your goal with amazing food, attentive hosts and a beautiful surrounding the El Dorado Maroma is for you. EDM may not be heaven, but you can definitely see it from there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philliefan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This was our first all inclusive and might I say it was awesome. From the minute we caught the shuttle from Best Day to winding through the roads to the hotel, arriving to champagne and the room in the Hotelito was amazing. The beds are comfortable and draped with "mosquito netting" So romantically decorated. The beach and nearby reefs was wonderful. Rodolfo in the restaurant, Paula was our personal concierge, Kari and Diago are great in the entertainment field. Rosa is great...Everyone went out of their way to make us feel like royalty.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank espanola08
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Our 30th anniversary vacation at El Dorado Maroma was perfect! It is an isolated resort, with the nearest hotel located over 2 miles away in both directions (tucked away in a mangrove jungle on a perfect secluded white sand beach). We never left the resort. It is a perfect small resort with 5 star comforts. The service and food was first class!

The Personal Concierges: Gaby, Paola, Carmina, and Diana were wonderful. You ask and they deliver with a smile. Our anniversary dinner on the sand was our most romantic ever! Gaby and Poala, thank you for arranging the flowers and the wonderful private beach dinner! That night under the stars was incredible, not to mention returning to the room to find the room filled with candle lights and a warm Jacuzzi decorated with heart shaped rose petals. We also loved our couple’s massage. We chose the 10PM overwater session, amazing!

The resort is located next to the Maroma Marina (which is a very small Marina that has water excursions). If you partake in the water excursions (the jet ski/snorkel was great), you just need to walk about 100 yards instead of getting on a bus like other non El Dorado Maroma vacationers. One note, the resort does not have elevators.

Before arriving, I was not able to get a clear image of the outdoor showers? Ours (Honeymoon top floor) was a small square outdoor, uncovered shower. We preferred using this shower to the beautiful indoor marble lined shower. Some unit's outdoor showers had a thatched cover if needed for privacy.

Top reasons that made our vacation perfect:

1. Beautiful beach location.
2. Only 72 rooms made the resort feel like it was our own.
3. The privacy of each room.
4. All rooms are a short walk to the white sand beach (only a couple minutes).
5. The 3 great restaurants (Japanese, Italian, and Mexican), plus the beachside themed lunch buffet.
6. Romantic and quite without crowds and noise. Was able to read and nap on the beach.
7. Great staff! Everyone went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and special.

Thank you El Dorado Maroma for making our anniversary vacation so special!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank savywest
Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My husband, his two kids (my bonus kids) who are 18 & 23, and I stayed at the Maroma from June 30 – July 4. We booked the trip through FunJet and tried the “El Dorado Fun for Less” deal. We found out we were going to the Maroma about 5 days before our trip. We would have paid a lot more money booking the Maroma specifically, so it was great that it worked out that way. Definitely checkout Funjet.com (and the “Fun for Less” and “Fun for Less El Dorado” deals) if you’re interested in a good bargain.

Like all of the other reviews stated, check-in was a breeze (and champagne makes everything better). We got two rooms (202 and 204), which were very close to the quiet (“24”) pool. The location was nice considering we didn’t pay for the nicer rooms (swim-up room, honeymoon suites, etc.). The bed was amazing. I’ve slept like crud the past 4 nights since we’ve been back, and I want the Maroma bed. The rooms were fine, except one of our rooms (202) had a horrible sewage smell in the bathroom. We should have called about it though, so that was partly our fault.

The customer service at this resort is absolutely amazing. We joked about how we never heard the word “no.” For example, we wanted some cheese and crackers around cocktail hour (which was pretty much every hour, but I’m referring to the 4-6 pm timeframe), and they delivered a plate to our patio. Also, we wanted sushi at night, and they brought that to our room as well. The drink service is wonderful too. The premium alcohol is a treat (compared to most resorts), but you have to ask for it. The mixed drinks are good too, and the Coco Loco (served in a coconut with a fruity face) was fun.

The pools and the beach are top-notch. My husband and I took a long walk (about 50 minutes) and the beach got even more beautiful as we went further out. It was amazing. Definitely take advantage of the beach. The resort has an area roped off to swim in. It's pretty shallow. We bought $2.50 rafts from Walmart before we left and packed those in our suitcase. Those came in handy to lay on. Both pools are very nice, beautiful, and well maintained. The pools had great drink service. The beach was a bit slower, but you can walk up to the pool bar if you need a drink urgently.

My one complaint about the resort was the food. I love food, and I’ll eat pretty much anything. Don’t get me wrong, we had some amazing meals. But I was disappointed in how rich everything was. My husband and I stayed at the Royale in January, and I did backflips over the food. But I think that has to do with the size of the resorts (the Royale is much larger, so there are more options). I just would have liked to see some lighter things on the menu, like more salad. After 5 days, we were ready to go back home and eat healthy (and we were craving Subway). We ate at the Japanese restaurant the first night, and we loved that. The sushi was good (even the 18 year-old liked it, and normally he is not a sushi fan), my veggie/tofu dish was mighty tasty, we got hot sake, etc. I haven’t heard rave reviews about the Japanese restaurant on here, but that was my favorite. We did the Italian dinner at Sabores (with the soprano singer) the second night, the Italian restaurant the third night, and the Mexican dinner (with the mariachi band) at Sabores the last night. The menu for the Italian and Mexican dinners at Sabores was different than we were expecting, but maybe that’s because we’re used to Americanized Italian and Mexican food. We liked the Italian food at the regular Italian restaurant a bit better. The service at all of the restaurants was absolutely extraordinary. We tipped a dollar for each round of drinks at the bar and about $2-4 at each meal.

I liked the shrimp tacos (taco lunch day), the pizzas, and the spinach soup the best. The fresh fruit in the morning was tasty, and the egg white omelette was good as well. Oh and we ate plenty of chips and guacamole. We took advantage of the endless supply of guac. We also ordered a whole grouper (eyeball and everything), and that was fun to try. The shrimp was amazing. I've never seen one that big (that's what she said) before.

We went to Rick’s bar every night after dinner. The Michael Jackson show was awesome, and the casino night (blackjack, Texas Hold ‘Em, and roulette) was fun. The bar wasn’t very “hoppin’” but it was still a good time. When we were the only ones left on our last night, the bartender played Jenga with us.

We didn’t do any excursions, but my husband and I have done the lobster cruise which leaves right off that dock, and that was AMAZING. So if you go to the Maroma, I highly recommend that. The resort is a couple miles off the highway, so you have to take a cab (versus a bus) to leave the resort. That is great for safety purposes, but I do like the $1.00 bus ride into down (can’t beat that).

My husband and I used the gym once. There were two treadmills (one was broken), an ellitical machine with arm things, a stair stepper (which didn't offer me enough resistance), a stationary bike, free weights, a fly pull (chest) machine, and an overhead shoulder press. I recommend ditching the gym cardio and walking or running on the beach. The temperature in the gym was great though, and it wasn't muggy like most Mexico resort gyms.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank trinicole
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2010

For me to actually write a review on something would mean I was thoroughly disappointed or totally blown away. In this case I was blown away. From the time we arrived (Best Day Transportation, Safe and on Time) we were in paradise. We were greeted with champagne and a smile. Pearla (sp?) checked us in and explained everything the hotel had to offer. Everyday after that she walked around the property and made sure we (and everyone else) were having a good time. She was the best, and that is saying something because the rest of the staff absolutely outstanding as well. The beach is beautiful, the pools are refreshing, the lawns are beautiful. the drinks are an experience on their own and the food outstanding. I can't think of staying anywhere else ever again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Techsan95
Ft. Worth
Reviewed 6 July 2010

This is my first review of any place that we have stayed. We arrived on July 1st, 2010 and left on July 5th. I want to start by saying that normally, I'm not a huge fan of all-inclusive places. The food is not that great and the choice of liquors usually is poor. However, this place is different. We used Best Day Travel for transportation, and it was fine, no complaints from me. We arrived and sat down with the hotel receptionist to fill out some information. They brought us a couple of glasses of champagne and took our bags for us. The check-in process took 5 minutes and we were then escorted around the hotel to see where everything is. I loved the layout of the hotel. Not too big where it takes 20 minutes to walk somewhere, and it is very close to the beach. We did stay in the swim-up suites, and I would highly recommend it! We stayed in Room 502. I would request either 301, 302, 401, or 402. These rooms have a better view of the beach. Also room 502 has the door near the bed, so that when people walk by at 7:00 in the morning, you hear it. They do not have liquor in the room, just a small refrigerator with Tecate that was not very cold. This was the only issue I had, but they did assure me that whatever beer we wanted could be placed in the refrigerator. The service at this place is UNREAL!!! Since it only has around 70 rooms, you get to know the staff very quickly. The main pool has Oscar and Cesar that help run things, and they are great!!! The Drinks can be made with premium liquor (Grey Goose, Crown Royal, Don Julio Tequila) but you need to let them know that's what you want. The beach is very close to the hotel and the service is fair. They only staff a couple of people for the service so it can be slow from time to time. Also there is no food on the beach, may not be a bad thing so you're not stepping in nachos. They do serve you a pretzel mix on request beachside. We did the couples massage over the water in the Bungalow area and it was great. My masseuse was a little rough, but I did have some knots that needed working out. One thing I wish I had done, was to leave the 100 dollar bills at home. Take 1's, 5's, 10's, and 20's. I had to make change quite a bit. I like to tip around a dollar or two each time they come up with a drink. This worked really well at the beach. But when we went to the main pool, I would tip a 20 right off the bat and not worry about it the rest of the day. Service was amazing when I did that, but when I tried it at the beach, they seemed to be slower. The food was really good for an all-inclusive. Most stuff is off the menu instead of buffet style. I recommend the cream of spinach soup (I never eat this stuff, but it was great here). Also the shrimp were great. Some of the biggest I've seen. The Italian food was not that great, and the japanese was OK. Nachos were great!! Get the beef and chicken nachos from Sabores, sit on the couch next to the bar, and have a great time. I hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2010
5 Thank MartyWDDS
Brighton
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We just returned from another trip to the Riviera Maya, BUT "unfortunately" did NOT stay at the El Dorado Maroma this time. Our recent trip to another "exceptional luxury" boutique resort left us longing for the El Dorado Maroma and wishing that we had shared our experience on Trip Advisor when we returned from there last June!

We always research Trip Advisor thorougly before booking a trip AND watch the reviews for the place we are planning to stay up to the time we leave for our trip. Although we haven't looked at the recent reviews for El Dorado Maroma, we can tell you that our stay there last June/July (2009) was nothing short of exceptional. It's possible that the resort we just stayed at wouldn't have paled so much in comparison, if we hadn't already stayed at the Maroma and therefore had a standard against which to measure our stay. For example, you might "assume" that good air conditioning is a given in this type of climate. At the El Dorado Maroma that's true, but not the exceptional luxury resort where we just stayed. My husband had to threaten to leave before they came up with an interim solution.

When you arrive at the El Dorado Maroma,, however, instead of entering through a massive, walled gate it's more akin to sneaking through a secret door into a private garden. As they hand you your glass of champagne, you begin your brief walking tour of the intimate 72 room resort, which ends in your own suite where they do a private check-in. In fact, for those of you who haven't experienced it yet, the "no-waiting," in-room check-in is one of our favorite features of a boutique resort.

We had taken an early morning direct flight from Detroit, which got us to the resort mid morning, just in time to have breakfast delivered to the patio of our "swim-up" suite, which overlooked the beach (the water was "maybe" 50 feet away). We were introduced to the concept of the "swim-up suite" at their sister resort the El Dorado Seaside Suites" when we honeymooned there in 2007. The only reason that we abandoned the Seaside Suites, which we also loved, is because the Maroma is a more intimate setting (72 suites instead of 250 suites) AND its only 25-30 minutes from the airport.

The rooms are very large, including a bathroom with double-sinks, large indoor shower, outdoor rainforest shower with a palapa roof, and a jacuzzi tub for two that shares a glass wall with the headboard of the 4-poster, king-sized bed. A half wall seperates the bedroom area from the living room area. Our favorite feature, of course, is the patio adjacent to the living room area. The large patio offers a dining table and two chairs, as well as a beach bed for two, but the best part is that you step off your patio directly into the lazy river, which forms a private plunge pool area in front of your room, but also provides access all the way down to the main pool and swim-up bar.

Our first day there, the Concierge (Carmina) informed us that she had taken the liberty of signing us up for the special "Dinner Around the World" that evening. My only concern was that I am allergic to shellfish. I generally have no issues avoiding shellfish when ordering off an ala carte menu, but when it is a fixed menu, there are of course, issues. She promised to obtain a copy of that evening's menu for me. Twenty minutes later, I was lounging in the swim-up pool when two gentleman walked up and introduced themselves as the head chef and the food and beverage manager. They had heard about my food allergies and not only wanted to find out what I couldn't eat that evening, but also what I preferred! When we went to dnnner, they replaced the 2 or 3 courses that included shellfish with substitutes that had been prepared for me only. In fact, when they offered another fixed menu dinner later in the week (Italian night with an incredible opera singer and keyboardist for entertainment) they again served me a different dish in place of those containing shellfish without any additional communication!

That however, was only the beginning of the incredible service that we received. I had also asked Carmina if I could get a Coke Zero anywhere at the resort (I don't drink coffee). She asked if I preferred Coke Zero to Coke Light (Diet Coke). When I told her that I did, she had someone go out and purchase Coke Zero and had all of the Coke Light replaced with Coke Zero in our mini fridge or the remainder of our visit. When I called to order breakfast on day 2, the indvidual who answered the phone said, "Happy Anniversary Mrs. W..." and asked if we wanted the breakfast order we had placed the day before, or something different. When the Activities Director, "Bery Nice" Bernice, walked by and asked if I wanted to join her in the main pool for a water aerobics class, I declined. However, she came back 10 minutes later looking disappointed because no one had shown up for her class. I invited her to join me in our swim-up pool for a private class, which she happily obliged. Another day, she took my husband out to the coral reef for a private snorkel tour when he was the only one who showed up for the activity. As he was paddling back in that morning, the Head Beach Butler, Katerina, walked by and struck up a conversation with me as she did every mornig. She asked if we had already had our breakfast on the patio. When I told her that I had been waiting for my husband's return, she pointed out that they were on their way back in and offered to place the order for us. She then proceeded to place our preferred breakfast order into her walkie-talkie, without asking me for it, and despite never having taken our order directly before. How do they do it?!

We could provide example after example of these types of experiences (the cooking class in which my husband prepared his own ceviche, the tequila tasting, casino night, the hot stone massage at the on-site spa, etc., etc.) The El Dorado Maroma is not just all-inclusive, they are all SERVICES inclusive.

If I had to come up with any drawbacks, they would only be that: 1) the El Dorado Maroma doesn't provide any airport transportation unless you join their vacation club, which leads me to my next point... 2) turn down the offer for the free spa credit in exchange for seeing a 1-hour presentation. The presentation is never only an hour -- I've dragged my husband to it 3 times now and they always last at least 2-3 hours -- and instead of offering a "frequent stayer type program," they are selling RCI vacation club memberships, which incudes up to 40% off the El Dorado/Azul/Karisma property rack rates AND transportation to and from the airport.

However, other than those relatively minor points, we've never enjoyed a more relaxing vacation, nor have we ever been so thorough blown away by the standard of service that they provide at the El Dorado Marom. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,563 reviews

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!