“Cigarette Smoke Unbearable”

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Paying for upgraded swim up suites and not being able to utilize the patio ruins this trip. Our evenings of trying to relax on our private patio were totally ruined by the smokers in suite 301. Smokers dominate the 24 hour bar in the evenings which is the only setting while waiting for dinner. EDM is fantasic resort, if your allergic to cigarette smoke or simply can not tolerate it stay away.
Wine list very limited for a California preference.
Pool water cold.
Service and staff are excellent.

Reviewed 21 November 2010

After spending nearly 2 weeks reviewing the various Cancun and Playa Del Carmen hotels on TripAdvisor, my boyfriend and I decided on the El Dorado Maroma after balancing (1) the reviews; (2) cost; (3) amenities; and (4) location.

PROS:
(a) Great beach. The beach is very clean, and the workers rake it and the inlet numerous times each day for seaweed. The beach is very important to me, so this is a huge factor in my rating.

(b) Beach amenities. There were always chairs, beach beds, and beach towels available. Again, because of the importance of the beach to me, this is a huge factor in my rating.

(c) Waitstaff. Generally, the waitstaff were wonderful and attentive. Only on a few occasions did it take a long time to get a drink, and only on one occasion did the waiter entirely forget. (And yes, we did tip -- more on that below.)

(d) Room service. The fact that you can get room service at any time of the day or night is a huge plus and great amenity.

CONS:
(a) Explorer Club. This is the Karisma group's version of a timeshare. We were convinced by our personal concierge to sit in on this presentation. We were told it was only 30 minutes. When we got to the presentation, we were told it was 1.5 hours. Granted, we are adults and should at that time said "no thank you" and left. However, we felt bad and stayed. Big mistake. First, in my opinion, there is very little benefit to this club and would take you years before you broke even. (I am happy to discuss specifics with anyone but do not want to take up space here, as this topic itself could be a post.) Second, the sales associate who gave us the presentation wouldn't directly answer any question. We had to repeat each question 3 or 4 times before he would give us a somewhat straight-forward answer.

(b) Reservation Process. We reserved through the Karisma website rather than through a travel agent or travel website. We found that the best deal was through Karisma. While it was fairly easy to reserve and pay, it was not so easy to receive any type of meaningful confirmation or check-in information. See (c) below for comments concerning check-in, an ordeal that could have been avoided had we received any meaningful information.

(c) Check-in. We arrived at the hotel after taking a red-eye around noon and were told that our room would not be ready until 3 pm. We have previously never had a problem checking into a hotel early. Perhaps this is something we should have confirmed beforehand, but did not think it would be a problem at a resort of this "caliber" and particularly when we were going in the slow-season. In fact, many rooms were empty during our stay. We ate lunch, took a nap on the beach, and then went back to reception at 3 pm. At that time, we were told that our room was still not ready and could we please wait another 15-20 minutes? That was quite annoying as we were very jet-lagged and ready to settle in. It would be helpful if check-in time was confirmed at the time of booking, or better yet if the information was available on the website.

(d) Check-out. The check-out process was equally as annoying. First, as we were carrying our bags as we were leaving our room, an associate approached us and asked if we needed help. We politely but firmly told her no -- that we would prefer to take our own bags. I had to run back to the room and left my boyfriend alone for 2 minutes when the bell captain came and grabbed the bags. The sales associate had radioed him. Again, perhaps it is our fault for not being more insistent. However, I found it annoying that we would have to say this more than once. Perhaps the associate was trying to be helpful, but we prefer that our requests were honored instead.

The check-out process itself took some time. We are used to either e-check-out (where you can do it from your room), or where you receive itemized charges the morning of, review it, and then check-out quickly at the front desk. Here, you do not receive an itemization until you check-out. Moreover, the itemization was in Spanish. I understand that we were in a Spanish-speaking country. However, with so many English-speaking guests, it would have been helpful to not only have the itemization before-hand but also in English. Also, it would have been helpful to have the itemization in dollars. Again, this would normally not be a complaint, but everything we purchased was provided to us in dollars -- the cost of the stay, the excursions, the spa. To suddenly present us the final bill in pesos was a bit disconcerting.

(d) Repairs. The only issue we had while at the hotel was that our porch light would not come on. We called and spoke to reception on two separate occasions on two separate days. It was not fixed. It was not until the third complaint that this issue was resolved.

(e) Wake-up calls. We asked for wake-up calls on each day we did an excursion. On each of these days the wake-up calls were 10-15 minutes late. We do not consider this to be on-time.

(f) Internet. You are changed $70 for a week of internet. Again, for a resort of this caliber we were disappointed that the resort would charge at all for internet.

NEUTRALS:

(a) Food. I know people rave about the food here, but in my opinion it was only so-so. Certain dishes were fairly good. Others were not good at all, including dishes made of beef, which I thought was of lower quality. Remember though that this is a matter of personal preference.

(b) Drinks. Like their food, some of the drinks were really good and others not good at all. I recommend their simple mixed drinks (rum+coke, bloody marys) but not their tropical drinks (pina colada, mojito), which I thought were way too sweet. Again, though this is a matter of personal preference.

(c) Lomas Travel. FYI, Lomas Travel is owned by the same family that owns the Karisma hotels. We booked a couple of excursions through Lomas. The first excursion was great. The second excursion was only so-so to downright not good. Be aware though that Lomas does not run their own excursions (at least not those we went on). They act as a travel agent. I later found out that for at least one of our tours, had we booked it on our own, it would have cost less. I supposed you pay for the service and convenience of a travel agent; however, I would recommend to others that (i) you book your own excursions through the internet; or (ii) rent a car from the airport (which is cheaper than the cost of 2 roundtrip airport transfers) and do the excursions yourself. For instance, an excursion to Coba is over $100, even though a ticket is $5. If you want a guide, you can hire one there for around $25.

(d) Room. We stayed in the basic room. The room was okay. The bed was generally comfortable. The mini-bar stocked each day. The room cleaned well. You don't spend very much time in the room, so I would not recommend the upgrade to an infinity or swim-up suite. When we arrived, I was a little disappointed that we hadn't gotten the swim-up suite (about $100 more per day). However, I soon realized that the pools and beach are so close that the swim-up suite is not worth it. What would make the room better is a flat screen tv and a chest of drawers. There were not drawers in our room.

TIPS:
This is supposedly an all-inclusive resort. However, you will soon learn that if you don't tip your food/drinks will come slower. You have to tip. We generally tipped $5 after each meal and $1 per drink. Just remember, if it were truly an all-inclusive resort, the staff would be directed not to accept ANY tips. There are resorts such as this.

Overall, we would recommend this to a friend but with the review above. It is a nice resort, and we feel like we generally got our money's worth in comparison to other hotels we've stayed at.

3  Thank vandyalum
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I recently stayed at El Dorado Maroma Resort for 11 nights. This bouteque resort has 73 units of all discriptions. An extremely high quality of cleanlyness and amenities were maintained throughout my stay. House keeping is to be commended. The 4 gourmet resturants served a variety of dishes from Mayan, Italian, Asian to Western all of outstanding world wide quality. The spa: the only way to discribe it is "so relaxing".

The resort is located on the oceans edge at one end of Maroma Beach. The pure white sandy beach runs north to Puerto Morelas or appox. 5 KM long. The beach is rated in the top 10 of the world. Once you see it and walk it you will understand.

The moment you arrive you forget who and where you are. Your eyes are pulled towards the second to none gardens and lush vegetation. At the lobby you are greeted with a glass of champgne and told "welcome home". Sign in is quick and efficient. From the resort GM to the workers who rake the beach each morning, they all speak variing degrees of English however, I was in Mexico, they speak Spanish down there. You know, when in Rome. Approx 146 guests can stay at one time. This resort has 200 + / - empolees. All services were impeccable and the grounds were spotless. Watching the staff is the most tiresome thing I had to do. They just keep going and going. If you enjoy a thirst quencer they never stop. (uno mas) Each day I recieved one on one Spanish lessons then I hit the beach.

Nestled beside the resort is a complete array of water sports and guided adventure tours. Everything was at my finger tips if I wanted. I have been lucky to have travelled half way around the world and I have never seen so many happy people in one resort at one time. Check in to check out (11 days) was for me, complete R&R. (rest and relaxation)

This resort was built on 1 man's dream. When I checked out I to share that dream.

As I mentioned: I have travelled half the world and stayed at many resorts. El Dorado Maroma is the best one yet. I don't know if it can get any better than this. I've already booked for Mar 2011.

This resort is rated as a 5 star resort. I believe it should be 4 diamond

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank bandito10
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Having booked this place based upon other TA reviews, I agree with almost all the reviews. Maroma is a quiet paradise. My husband and I have been to Riviera Maya numerous times. This time all we wanted to do was relax by the beach with a good book and take it easy from the hustle of NYC living. We love staying in smaller boutique style hotels. We stayed in the Mi Hotleito section. We wanted to be closer to the beach. Room was great with a comfortable king bed. They are smaller than the other rooms at the hotel. We hardly stayed in it, but to sleep at night. So, in my opinion save your money for other things instead of upgrading room type.
Here is why I only gave it 3 stars:
The first room they put us in was on the first floor. The walk-out balcony was facing the pool bar. Hated that--no privacy. Everybody at the pool could see into your room. However this could be a bonus room feature for some who like to just walk out and get a drink from the pool bar. Take a look at karismahotels.com--go to the virtual tours and select Mi Hotelito Beachfront Suit--- that is the 1st room they tried to put us in. You can see the pool bar directly off the walk-out balcony. They were able to give us another room on the second floor of the Mi Hotelito section. We were told that a lot of people ask to be switched to another room after seeing it. I just dislike the process of them trying to put you in that room if so many people decide to switch out of it. Especially since the occupancy was so low. That process did take a couple of hours---not sure as to why they were only at 40% occupancy. Even Perla was surprised it took so long.
Lomas travel guy was annoying. Nice guy, but when we arrived we mentioned to him that we have been to Riviera Maya numerous times and we already went on all the excursions that interested us. Well he kept coming up to us while we were relaxing by the beach and inviting us to talk to him for 20 min to book an excursion. Each time we told no. Finally by the 4th day he left us alone.
You have to book all your activities with the concierge. This was fine. We knew we wanted to do the candlelight dinner at the beach (celebrating anniversary), mayan dinner ,Italian dinner and kayak tour (all which I recommend). This part is NOT o.k.-- After booking all the hotel activities they try to talk you into attending this lunch seminar for the Exotic Travel Club. Which is another stupid time share thing. Even after we said no several times she reserved a spot. Well we just never showed up we didn't care if she booked a spot.
On the 2nd day the canopy over our bed fell off the ceiling. We were on the 2nd floor so the ceiling was high. We left it on the bed thinking housekeeping will be able to put it back up with a ladder. Well 2 days later the canopy was still not put back up. After housekeeping made the bed they just set the huge canopy on top of the bed . Finally, my husband, who is tall stood on top of a table and was able to hang it back up using the umbrella from our room for extra height.
We eat dinner late usually 8 or 9 p.m. So, we were always getting ready when they came to do the turn-down service. We did get it once. But, we don't really care for that stuff.
It is a beautiful quiet setting. Food and drinks were great and waitstaff was awesome. They would give you a fresh beer if they noticed yours was getting too warm. Perla did check on us throughout the week. But having stayed at similar adults only boutique hotels and comparing it to them El Dorado Maroma falls short in keeping with what the customers are looking for in their vacation. This goes beyond the food and service. People don't go on vacation to spend time listening to a sales rant about a time share ( Exotic Travel Club).

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

• beside Maroma Marina
• just down the beach from Secrets Maroma and Catalonia

First Impressions:
• Tiny lobby!
• They were anticipating our arrival and welcomed us with champagne and personalized check in
• Right away took us on a tour of the property (very small, took about 5 minutes) and let us use the lockers in the spa until our room was ready
• Extremely quiet resort

Service:
• Beyond wonderful!
• Every staff greeted you as you walked by
• Couldn’t do enough for us
• Learned our names right away and used them throughout the stay!
• One day it rained after dinner and the staff worked so quickly to move all the cushions out of the rain-even apologised to us that it was raining

The Room: Room Type
• Infinity pool Jacuzzi suite
• Huge room with large living room area with 2 couches (one pull out)
• Outdoor shower-amazing!
• Big Jacuzzi in bathroom
• Separate shower as well
• Huge comfortable king size bed
• Balcony with infinity pool overlooking the ocean
• Balcony also had a double outdoor bed and 2 lounging chairs
• All the rooms except the lead in (Mi Hotelito) have outdoor showers
• Swim up suites are the highest category, only because there are so few of them. Don’t really have much privacy-I’d recommend the room I stayed in over them!

Food/Drink Service:
• 4 restaurants-one “everything”, one Japanese, one Italian and one on the beach
• Japanese and Italian were very small and good. Japanese had tepanyaki option which was great! Best miso soup I have ever tasted! Banana nut spring roll for dessert was heavenly
• New beach restaurant was only open for breakfast and lunch
• Lunch was themed (for example one day was potato festival, one day was tacos, one day was fresh fish). A chef would be in the middle making the theme of the day and there would be a small buffet on either side
• Sabores is the only restaurant open for all 3 meals-all a la carte dining
• Lunch at Sabores was great; they always give you a plate of nachos with salsa, guacamole and mole sauce to begin. Thin crust pizza was awesome!
• Each night there was a little plate of chocolates or mini desserts in the room
• Themed dinners at Sabores need reservations but no other night/restaurant does

Take Note:
• This resort only has 72 suites-it is TINY
• Only for a certain type of traveller, not really any nightly entertainment...it is for pure relaxation
• It is 16+ not 18+

Things I liked:
• We arrived at 11 a.m. and there were tons of beach beds and beds around the pool available-didn’t have to wake up early and rush
• The beach area was protected by sandbags so the water was extremely calm, shallow, and warm. Was able to see schools of fishes swimming around my feet on numerous occasions!
• Very private beach....nothing on the right side of the hotel so people are not walking through your beach area
• Can walk down the left side of the resort for a while and opens to a huge, empty beach with a cove-beautiful
• Marina is right next door for those who like water sports but it is not noisy at all
• Yoga in the gazebo over the water

Things I didn’t like:
• No music or anything at the beach or pools
• It was pretty much a perfect stay!
• Contact me more pictures or information!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank spirit0ftravel
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We have travelled the world over and have stayed in many all inclusive resorts and we both agree this is finally the truest to a 5 star as you can get.
From the check in with a glass of Champagne and Wet Towel to the largest assortment of wines we have seen anywhere.
Maroma Beach...Powder White with Aqua Blue Waters...you can walk for miles
Beach Butlers were constantly brining drinks and appetizers all day,
Room was amazing and our mini bar was replenished daily
Our TA Michael Snider (Northstar Travel) got us a sweet upgrade and also candle light dinner on beach so that was special surprise .

Reviewed 17 November 2010

My wife and I just returned from our anniversary trip to the El Dorado Maroma. WOW. Almost all reviews on here are extremely positive and many explain this resort very well. I am extremely surprised at the last one star review that just showed up and it seems a bit suspicious. Had to "hike" to get a drink - there is no hiking in this resort since it is so small. The beach butlers were everywhere. Many of the other "cons" were hard to believe as well. Here's a summary of our expereience.

This is a small boutique resort and a real gem. You should know before you go that this is a smaller resort and that is what the charm is all about.If you are looking for something lively go somewhere bigger or with a different vibe. We met some great couples here and also were able to easily find secluded spots all over the gorgeous property.

Arrival - when we arrived we were provided champagne and given a tour of the resort. Our room was not yet ready so it scared us a bit from the start. We were taken to lunch and things were looking up. We had a flank steak quesadilla and spicy chicken skewars. Delicious and something we've tried to replicate after our trip.

Room - we stayed in the infinity pool suite on the 3rd floor. We were at the end of the resort closest to the ocean. It was a huge room with spectacular views of the ocean and pool. The infinity pool was nice although we didn't use it all that much. I wouldn't stay in the swim ups because there isn't a lot of privacy and no view.

Food - very good. Not incredible, but enjoyable. Some things were delicious and some things were good. I thought it was the best all inclusive food we have had. My wife equated it to some of the finer dining restaurants at a sandals. Everything is a la carte and will take some time to bring out. Every dish came out hot. I would recommend the risotto in the Italian restaurant and skewars in the asian restaurant for dinner. At lunch the beach restaurant has a great mix every day of food and a daily water. Eating at the beach restaurant for breakfast and lunch was awesome.

Wine - they had a limited selection of wine as part of the all inclusive plan. You could certainly buy other bottles for a lot of $. The house wines were so-so and didn't have everything we liked. We typically like pinot grigio for a white but only had one chardonnay. The house wines were not high quality.

Drinks - all other drinks were great. They had high quality liquors, and dos equis/tecate for beer. We have been to other all inclusives before and there is typically one a regular and light beer option of the local variety.

Beach - we spent most of our time on the beach. The two pools were very nice but we loved the beach. Most people were on the beach and the pool was usually empty. The water was warm and clear most days depending upon the seas. Even though most people were at the beach it still seemed empty. We were able to get a palapa every day even though we usually eat breakfast late and get to the beach closer to noon. This is not a resort where any chair games are played and I loved that about it. This is a boutique luxury resort.

Service - spectacular. We have never experienced this type of service. Every single person working there from the concierge to the beach butlers were there to make sure you were having a fabulous time. They remember what you like and pamper you throughout the stay. They do not require tips although single dollars go a long way in helping out the staff. A tip made a difference at Rick's bar at night too where the bartender would remember your drink and make sure your glass was never empty wherever you were sitting. I can't say enough good things about every single employee at the resort. I was 'wowed'.

Other notes
-do the jet ski snorkel tour. The reef there extends along the coast line and have a lot of different things to see. We saw fish, lobster, stingrays, turtles, starfish, coral, etc. It was a unique experience being able to jet ski around and then stop at 2 unique spots. The second spot was a cenote where an underground river was feeding into the ocean. It was basically a big cave with a different variety of fish.
-we didn't get a towel animal our first day. After the first day I left a tip for the maid each day and we had towel animals. Not sure if this was a coincidence. I would've left a tip daily anyway just forgot the first day.
-wifi was $15 a day. You end up getting about 30 kbps (dial up speed). The two computers they have as the business center you have to pay for too. Not sure how much that is. Only wanted to connect quickly for email so it was sufficient. We were happily unplugged. I did get good speeds one day to connect to directv and watch sunday NFL in our palapa. Not sure I've ever had a better NFL day than that.

Spa - we had a sunrise massage out over the ocean one morning which was fantastic. We had some annoying people going out on the kayaks at the beginning (the kayak tour starts at 10 right next to the sky massage). Once they were gone we were at peace.

Cons
-wine
-airport (not the resort's fault) - schedule transportation ahead of time and head straight outside to your transport making sure they have your name on a list. There will be a lot of people trying to fake different things. Most of them are timeshare salesmen. I heard a rumor that this will be ending in the next few months. Just be ready for it. Also watch the people that want to roll your bags 5 feet out the door and then ask for a tip. Don't let go of your bags.
-didn't do anything special for our anniversary
-don't leave food in your room - the ants will find their way in.
-bugs at night - bring your bug spray (this should really be offered in the room). This may depend on how the breeze is blowing. The first few nights we didn't have any bugs on the balcony. The last two nights they were crazy.

Special thanks to our travel agent from VIP Vacations - Jennifer Doncsecz, bartender at Rick's, Diego, Paola (Concierge), Ariel (animator), and many more. We would definitely recommend.

4  Thank rpi80
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!