Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kin Sol Soleil(Playa Maroma)
Excellent 5/5
Catalonia Playa Maroma(Playa Maroma)
Very Good 4/5
Excellent 5/5
Amarte Hotel(Playa Maroma)
Great 4.5/5
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
Very Good 4/5
1,246 results
All reviewsel solfreddy's barbeach bedsfresh tortillasevery morningjuan pablohand made tortillasfour seasonsgarden roombeach servicethe cantinaceviche barplunge poolworkout roomsnorkeling tripmayan cultureturquoise water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was one of the best vacations my wife and I have taken. The resort could not do any more for us. From the beach to the restaurants. The accomodations were incredible.

Room Tip: Very quiet resort, if you are looking for night life this is not your place. Just rest and relaxation.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Carireriml,
Thank you for your complimentary words and for sharing the beautiful photos you took.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us. We look forward to welcome you again in the future to ensure you another incredible vacation time.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at this resort last July for a week off-season and it could not have been a more beautiful location and the staff was fantastic. The food at the hotel is also wonderful. The hotel had great service and the beach was peaceful and remote. We walked down the beach one day and encountered some other hotel beaches and were quite glad we weren't staying there! The only surprise was that there were some children there, which was not as advertised. It was explained to us that during off season they allow children, so be mindful of that. Thankfully, these children were well behaved but it could have been very annoying if they weren't, since we picked the spot because of the adult-only policy.

A contingent of hollywood types on a press junket unfortunately arrived for a few days during our stay and the celebs were respectful, though some of their hangers-on were a bit annoying and took away from the relaxed beach scene with their posing and cell phones and trying to be noticed. Thankfully, it was off season and not full to capacity so my husband and I were able to move a bit futher down the beach away from the nonsense.

It is definitely a pricey endeavor but was worth it, particularly for the days we had without the entourage. I would recommend it for great service and a quiet getaway. I would definitely return to Maroma.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ABrooklyn

Dear ABrooklyn,
Thank you for your complimentary comments. We appreciate the time you took to write about us. We are very happy to hear you liked the hotel, the marvelous beach and our service. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future to ensure you another amazing getaway.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Mexico and had a truly magnificent time at the Maroma Resort. We spent seven nights at the Maroma Resort and I really thought I might start crying as we were packing our bags to go home, as I was so sad to be leaving. From the moment we arrived, we felt like we had found a small paradise. Our vacation started with the private transportation provided by Maroma. We quickly found our very friendly driver at the airport and were whisked away in a nice SUV to Maroma. We were immediately greeted at the resort by Elizabeth, who welcomed us with a delicious margarita and gave us a helpful tour around the resort and then showed us to our room where she quickly checked us in. The Maroma is a small boutique resort, but this is just what we wanted and were in no way disappointed. All of the facilities are absolutely beautiful... from the rooms, lounges, and spa to the pools, beach, and gardens... everything is wonderfully maintained and picture perfect. Our days started each and every morning with coffee and beverages of our choice delivered outside our door at a time that we had chosen upon our check-in. The Maroma happily provides you with newspapers as well as their own newsletter daily upon your request to read with your coffee. After coffee in our room, we would head to the main restaurant to have the most delicious breakfast (which is included for every guest) I have ever had. Breakfast consists of coffee, your choice of fresh squeezed juices, fresh fruit, a basket of scrumptious sweet breads and toast, and then, as if this wasn't already enough, the entree of your choosing (which are all so tasty we had a hard time choosing our favorite). After breakfast we would head (with our extremely full bellies) to the beach or pools (there are three) to lounge around and read. There were always more than enough chairs/loungers at the pool and beach so that you could have your choice of places to relax (you never have to worry about getting there early to save a spot as there are more than enough for everyone). There was always someone at the beach to help with anything you needed, whether that was helping you move your umbrella or getting you drinks/food from the bar. A snorkeling trip was included in our stay and we had so much fun going out to the reef that is just off the coast in front of the hotel. The snorkeling staff were so friendly and knowledgable and we had a wonderful time. Lunch and dinner were always fantastic, whether we ate at the main restaurant, El Sol restaurant, or at Freddy's Bar on the beach. The food and drinks are expensive, but everything is delicious it justifies the cost. They do have a few "theme nights" which were fun and added a little variety to the evenings. Everything at Maroma is wonderful, but it is the staff at Maroma that really makes this resort amazing. Not only are they genuinely nice, funny, and helpful, but they are consistently going above and beyond to make sure that you are completely happy and have everything you need. They consistently do little things to make your vacation special, whether that is bringing you your favorite hot chocolate at breakfast (without needing to ask, they just know you love it), to taking the time to explain Mayan traditions/foods to help you understand their history, to bringing you cold cloths on the beach on hot days or ending your dinners with little sweet treats just because... the staff takes the time to get to know you, which is such a special touch. I wish we could remember everyone's names so that we could thank you each personally, as you were all so fantastic, but for all the ladies at the hospitality desk (Elizabeth, Jessica), the restaurant staff (Moses, Fernando), the tortilla ladies (Dalia), gentlemen on the beach (Sergio), housekeeping, spa and snorkeling staff, as well as everyone who works behind the scenes at Maroma... thank you so much for making our honeymoon so special. It was wonderful meeting you and we hope to see you again soon!

Katie and Thomas

1  Thank Katherine L

Dear Katie and Thomas,
It is a real pleasure to learn you had a truly and authentic experience during your honey moon at our beautiful Paradise. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and with other readers. This comment has already been shared with all the teams in the hotel to keep people motivated to keep doing their work from their hearts as you experienced. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future to ensure you another unforgettable experience at Maroma.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

About 5 or 6 years ago, we stayed at Maroma....for one day. But a hurricane ruined my long anticipated stay at this lovely resort I had dreamed about for so long. We had been staying at another property for the first week, then transferred to Maroma for the second. The first resort implied that the approaching storm would probably pass us, no need for any concerns. However, less than 24 hours after our arrival here, Maroma staff accompanied us to a hotel in Cancun city, where we "stayed" for three days until we could secure a flight out after the damage was done. From the moment they informed us of the impending evacuation, Maroma staff took excellent care of the remaining guests. They were calm, incredibly efficient, quick, consoling. And many of the staff stayed with us at the appointed hurricane shelter, assuaging our greatest fears. This is what I remember most about that frightening experience. Well, that and the books I stole from our individual library in our Maroma room (I was able to read them in the room to occupy myself after the Hurricane passed)....so...um...thank you, Maroma. Sorry I stole your books (just two. And my husband took one too. again, sorry:). Anyway....I knew we had to return to this resort, and I am sorry to say that it took us so long!
We were finally able to return the second week of April for a very short 4 night stay. And it was even more fantastic than I remembered.
Rooms: They very kindly upgraded us from basic ocean view to Master Ocean view suite...and the room was spacious and lovely. We never used the separate sitting area, but it was nice to have that extra feeling of space...and a place to put our luggage so it didn't take up room in the bedroom or bathroom. What I liked most about this room was the door to the toilet which completely shut (my only negative from the first trip was the shutter style door on the toilet...no privacy whatsoever). The balcony was breathtaking, although in our suite there was no roof so when it rained (and it did twice, at night) we were forced inside. Good closet space. Huge bathroom...another noteable feature. It was also quite a pretty bathroom, but I think I may be the only one who hates those raised sinks (I'm blanking on what they're called right now)...it's very difficult to wash/rinse your face in them.
Beach: as many have said, this is a wonderful beach. The water is mostly calm, but not so calm that it's uninteresting. We had lots of fun attempting to body surf, usually around 4 or 5 o'clock when tiny waves began to appear. We also spent an hour or two each day walking the expansive beach in each direction (our major form of exercise on vacation). Loved the beach beds, although you did have to get up early to reserve one (no one enjoys that, but it becomes a necessary evil).
Food: Superb. I cannot emphasize enough...we absolutely loved the food here. Every single meal we ate was delicious and memorable. We are still fantasizing about the beans at breakfast, the COFFEE (what kind of coffee is that??), the ceviche (the lobster/grapefruit is the best and I tried them all), the shrimp tacos, the PICKLED ONIONS (I even tried to duplicate them yesterday, lol!), the curried grouper, the guacamole, and even the rosemary/olive oil cheese cubes at Freddy's bar! I read so many negative reviews regarding the food, and my husband I agree it was our favorite food of any resort we have ever stayed (and we've been traveling for a long time). Wish we would have tried the cantina night...my only regret.
Service: All service was either very good or exceptional. I remember a server named Luis (although we asked about him the next day and no one knew who we were talking about, so maybe we got it wrong) who was just amazing, informative, patient, funny. Maid service was excellent. Beach service was good (many times we had to go find a beach waiter or hit the bar ourselves, but when they were available, they were kind and efficient!). Manuel from Freddy's bar was a delight. Incredibly knowlegable, attentive, but not intrusive. He is the quintessence of bartending service. Our favorite part of the evening was our pre dinner cocktail or just late afternoons spent at the bar. Overall, everyone was friendly and hardworking. I was hoping to run into the manager so I could tell him how wonderful his employees were, but I never saw him.
Spa: We did have a spa treatment. While the treatment and therapist were wonderful (the poultice massage), the total experience was a bit of a let down. We made our appointments for the same time and packed up beach paraphenalia and left the comfort of our beach bed to return to the room to freshen up before our treatments. When we arrived, the spa attendant acted a tiny bit strange. Not exactly un-welcoming, but wary. Definitely wary. She didn't say much, so we just stood there and waited. About 10 minutes later, another spa staff member arrived and told us that one massage therapist had not arrived. They had no idea where he/she was. Could we come back tomorrow? We were only there for 4 days and this was our 3rd day. The following day we had already scheduled the complimentary snorkel trip in the middle of the day, so it was a bit frustrating to have to try to fit in the one thing we needed most...a massage. After a bit of squabbling, my husband and I decided to reschedule for the next day (but I did skip out on the snorkel trip...I hate rushing from one thing to the next). I guess I felt they should have attempted to discount the spa service for us, but alas, no attempt was made.
$$$$: I saved this part for last. While I gave Maroma 5 stars, it was only because I couldn't figure out how to move the cursor a half a space for 4 1/2 stars. I am officially subtracting a half a star for the prices. Yes, it is very expensive here. Our main gripes: #1: We had the prepaid meal plan. We wanted to eat at the BBQ buffet on Friday but had to pay extra? We aren't cheapskates. But, this seemed cheesy. Why not just charge us more for prepaid package and let us eat what we want, when we want. #2: when you inform guests upon arrival to your room, not to drink the tap water here, then you should provide FREE bottled water. Everywhere. The end. It's ridiculous to charge $11 plus 15% plus 11% service charges for a freaking bottle of water. Don't nickel and dime your guests. It's cheesy.
Children: FYI...many are under the impression this is an adults only resort. During our stay, they said they were at around 20% occupancy (seemed about right, have no idea if that was true, but that's what we were told)....and at least 4% were children. There were many. Just thought you should know.

Overall: We have been fortunate enough to stay at many 5 star resorts. After Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos, this is my new favorite. As the lady on the travel channel said, It's a magical place. I hope to return soon!

1  Thank Kirt68
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at Maroma. I will say that I read a lot of reviews before and after we booked, just so I wasn't walking into this blindly. It's a boutique hotel run by Orient-Express, rated as one of the top hotels in Mexico/Latin America, and not all-inclusive. My wife and I were looking for a quick getaway to a great hotel with an incredible beach, great food, and good drinks and that's what we got and there was a price tag, but we were prepared. Some of the reviewers are misleading and too negative. I'm not sure what they thought they signed up for, but seems like they should've walked a bit down Maroma Beach to the other resorts and stayed somewhere cheaper with lesser quality.

Our room was incredible, as we splurged for the beachfront Sian Nah suite. It was the size of a large apartment and included a plunge pool, indoor/outdoor shower, multiple balconies with beach views, etc. If you're willing to spend, it's worth it. The second floor also was a lot more private, so I'd ask for that if you don't mind doing one set of stairs. The coffee with fruit, pastries, yogurt, etc. delivered to the room every morning at the time of your choosing was a great touch.

The food was delicious. The free breakfast was plentiful. Great selections and the accompaniments (exotic juices, coffee, hot chocolate, pastries, tortillas, and fruit) were unbelievable. I almost wished they dialed back on the free breakfast and lowered the prices for other meals or drinks. We always ate a huge breakfast and didn't do lunch. The $30 cheeseburger was a bit insane (who gets a cheeseburger in Mexico anyway?), but there were numerous options, like half dozen types of ceviche and shrimp tacos that were about $15. The dinners were outstanding. We ate at El Sol (mediterranean-mexican fusion), El Restaurante (traditional), and Fredy's (great sushi and ceviche). All seafood was incredibly fresh and top quality. Be prepared to drop $160 for dinner and drinks every night though. If you live in a nice city and go out to one of your nicer restaurants, you should not have sticker shock from the prices. I would be prepared that the buffet on Friday's is $90/pp and that's the only thing I felt taken advantage during with the trip.

Drinks are expensive too, but the quality is top notch. They have an extensive selection of tequila and the bartenders will help you find some within your budget that they recommend. They also gave me a sample of the top shelf brands, which was great.

The service was absolutely awesome....can't understand how anyone would complain about it. The guys on the beach were great...running over to fix the beach beds, umbrella, and get food/drinks right away. Be prepared for the added gratuity and tax on every bill. You don't need to carry around $1 for tips, unless you're extra generous, because it's included. They all earn that 15%, so it probably doesn't hurt to tip those who go above and beyond.

The beach is the best part. The water is crystal clear with soft white sand and I'm not even sure that you say there are waves because it's hard to tell with how calm it is. I'd rank it up there with Grace Bay or Little Dix Bay as the best beach I've ever been to. They have beach beds that are incredible and I am now spoiled. It'll be difficult to go back to the old fold-up beach chairs.

The snorkeling trip was free and was a 5 minute boat ride to the reef. Not the most amazing reef, but well worth it, being free.

There are not many activities like dancing, live music, but they do wine tastings, tequila tasting, and Mayan rituals. If you need to be entertained and drink your face off doing the Cha-Cha Slide, I'd go somewhere else.

All in all, it was a beautiful and relaxing experience at Maroma and my wife and I both agree that we'd return.

Room Tip: Sian Nah are incredible (expensive though). Take 2nd floor for much more privacy and views.
1  Thank JustRelaxMan
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear JustRelaxMan,
Greeting from Sunny Maroma! Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us and with a wider audience as TripAdvisor is. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and got a true authentic experience, full of delightful gastronomic flavors at our privileged location in the Riviera Maya. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future in our little Paradise.