“Can't wait to return!”

GreenLeadersGold level
College Station, Texas
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We went to Maroma in September of 2011. It was fantastic! I didn't really appreciate how awesome it was until last week when we went to Jamaica. Maroma is hands down SO much better! Beach, accomodations, service...everything. I am a beach fanatic and was so disappointed with Jamaica - wish I had returned to Maroma!

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms! It is a small resort, so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scrappy1010
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Scrappy,
Thank you very much for your complimentary words. We feel honored to know you really had a great time at Maroma. We look forward to welcome you again in the future to ensure you another authentic and unforgettable experience!
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This was our second visit to Maroma resort and while this had been our favourite resort after our last stay,and while we also had a wonderful vacation this time, I must say that we would not return anymore.

The reason is simple: the prices for food and drinks are just ridiculously high. I have no problems paying top-dollar for top-quality but what Maroma charges is just too much.

Dear Management: you can milk a cow or you can butcher it. Me you have butchered.

11 Thank Luxury-Bliss
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Dear Luxury-Bliss,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Although I sincerely regret learning your decision of making this your last visit to our beautiful paradise. I appreciate your feedback and I would like to share with you that our prices have been reviewed to ensure we are in line with our competitors and with our clients' expectations. On the other hand and in hopes this information may allow a change of mind, know that we have a Meal Plan available for those who prefer to better control their costs while vacationing. This Plan can be confirmed while booking online or directly at our hospitality desk upon check in.
I hope this information is helpful and you reconsider visiting us again in the future at which time we will ensure you have a completely new and wonderful experience.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Was a wonderful oasis and great food, lovely environment and people. Beach very relaxed. Try ancient spa rituals, they are fun!

Room Tip: Suite rooms on ocean are very nice, but front yard does not have privacy
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Jen,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. We are very happy to hear you had a wonderful time at Maroma. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future.
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Property was stunning with amazing villas/suites/rooms. I stayed in a suite overlooking the ocean and would sit out on my veranda every morning, reading the paper and drinking coffee that awaited me as I woke up.
The people were so friendly and interactive. We ate at the Cantina one night, experiencing different types of tequila and mescal, while eating the most traditional Mexican food (I never thought I would really like beef tongue). Fantastic!
What a memorable experience....and one that I would encourage anyone to take.
LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: Hey, stay in room 4!! Right on the beach, overlooking the ocean. Loved it!
2 Thank SAmaya30126
Dear SAmaya,
Thank you very much for your complimentary comment. We appreciate the time you took to write about us. It is a real pleasure to learn you had a truly authentic experience in our little Paradise. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future so you can enjoy another memorable experience and try other Mexican culinary experiences!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Just returned from a short trip. Overall, we had a lovely time. I'd rate overall experience 4.5 stars if I could.
My thoughts:
Location: Very short flight from NYC (approximately 3.5 hours direct). The ride from Cancun Airport to the resort is less than 30 minutes. The beach is as beautiful as the photos on the website - simply gorgeous.
The resort is a good balance of feeling exclusive without feeling overly secluded or private.
Facilities: We stayed in a beachfront Sian Nah suite which was huge and had two porches and a separate exercise room. Our room location was centrally located, yet far away enough from the restaurants and bar so that it was not noisy. The bathroom was gargantuan and oval shaped with two separate sinks, and both outdoor and indoor showers. (Not sure whether the water temp for the outdoor shower is supposed to get as hot as the water in the inside shower but it didn't.) Our room had a tiny plunge pool which we did not use. Complimentary bottles of water are provided in the room.
Service: The service at the restaurants and when eating at the beach was very attentive and first-rate. However, for some of the other services, we experienced several service "hiccups" . While some of these situations were remedied quickly with phone calls, I was surprised that these types of issues occurred at all, especially at a resort of this caliber.
Food: I suspect that because we are from NYC and have been to similar resorts, we had anticipated the food costs and did not experience any sticker shock at the prices. Having said that, Maroma has some of the best resort food I've ever had. We actually had reservations to an off-site restaurant one evening and decided to cancel, preferring instead to eat at the resort. Both BBQ night (Fri) and taco night (Thurs) are fabulous. I believe that taco night includes two alcoholic drinks per person. Additionally, breakfast (which I think is included with all reservations) is a true treat. It includes fresh fruit, handmade tortillas, fresh juices, coffe and/or a wonderful spiced hot chocolate drink, as well as your choice of a breakfast entree from the menu.
As a separate note, the complimentary daily coffee morning service to your room is a nice touch.
Suggestions for those going or considering going to Maroma:
- When traveling to/from Cancun Airport, you can ask the resort to arrange a car ($115 USD one way) or you can take a cab ($55 USD).
-While there are beach beds on the whole stretch of the beach, if you are planning to eat or drink while lounging, choose a location relatively close to the restaurant and bar if you want good service
-If you are disturbed by noise, etc. specify that you'd like a room far away from the restaurant areas and bar but still centrally located
-At times, there is a ton of seaweed in the water that then washes onto shore, so something to keep in mind if you want crystal clear water
Bottom-line: Maroma is a very expensive luxury resort. I wouldn't suggest it if you are looking for a 'deal' and cost is going to become a major concern. We understood this going into our trip - enjoyed ourselves immensely with the beautiful facilities, the delicious food, and the postcard perfect beach - and left with happy memories of our vacation.

Room Tip: If you are disturbed by noise, etc. specify that you'd like a room far away from the restaurant...
1 Thank ShuliQ
Dear ShuliQ,
Greetings from sunny Maroma! Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor readers. I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have. We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have never posted on Tripadvisor, but honestly I am so impressed by the Maroma that I simply felt compelled to. My husband and I just returned and it was one of the most incredible vacations we have ever taken. The service was impeccable, the grounds and facilities pristine, and the food delicious. It is a blissfully tranquil place for the sophisticated traveler seeking absolute solace and total relaxation in a beautifully natural environment. The assimilation of the beach and the jungle landscape in this rustic yet elegant resort is brilliantly executed. All the comforts of modern luxury offset with playful indigenous details, integration of the jungle's beautiful plants and animals, and romantic lighting.
I cannot praise this resort enough, in my opinion they have achieved perfection in hospitality, beauty, and comfort. We cannot wait to anniversary our trip, it’s worth the expense in every way.

Room Tip: I can't honestly say there is a "bad" room at this place. All the rooms offer a unique...
3 Thank Maggie B
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Maggie,
Thank you very much for your kind words! I really appreciate the time you took to post your first Trip Advisor comment to talk about us. We feel honored to know we made your stay an unforgettable and magic memory. We look forward to welcome you again in the future to ensure you another truly incredible vacation.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I usually don't post on tripadvisor, but given my recent stay at Maroma and some of the conflicting posts I would like to set the record straight. Maroma is one of the best resorts at which I have ever stayed. I have stayed at many Four Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin Orientals, throughout the world, along with Peter Island, Bitter End, etc. and I will tell you that Maroma is right up there with them all. As for a tropical destination resort I put it at the top. The facilities are gorgeous, beach is spectacular and the service is 5 Star. My wife and I are from Manhattan with rather lofty expectations and needless to say we will be back to Maroma. As for others who have complained about the food pricing, we found it to be comparable to other resorts of similar quality. The wine list is overpriced, but not egregiously so. Frederico, Luiz, Greta and Alejandra keep up the great work and hope to see you soon! Jason & Amy

Room Tip: Stay on the north side of the property away from Secrets resort which can get loud.
1 Thank Jason H
Dear Jason and Amy,
Greeting from sunny Maroma! Many Thanks for sharing your kind words. We feel honored to know we exceed your expectations and to be considered in your top hotels to stay. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future to ensure you another authentic experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!