“Fabulous place, but beware of the water!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous place, but beware of the water!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

In May this year we had our first trip to Mexico, and we chose the Maroma Resort and Spa because we were promised peace and quiet. The hotel is right on a beautiful beach, and it is certainly very peaceful. However, it is a little bit remote. The nearest town is Playa del Carmen which is a 25 dollar taxi ride away! The hotel itself is very well appointed. Our room was lovely, with good air conditioning and a massive bath! The staff are extremely attentive and pleasant, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
However, it is extremely expensive. Food and drink is very dear, and all excursions organized through the hotel are costly. Also, you are told that the water is undrinkable. We were provided with copious amounts of complimentary mineral water, so no problem there. However, though I'm sure its no fault of the hotel's, food, crockery, glasses etc. are washed in the water. Both my wife and I had badly upset stomachs which really affected our stay. Thank heavens for Immodium!
Despite the high standard of the hotel, we would not go back. When you are concerned about everything you eat or drink it really puts a dampener on your holiday, and for the prices you are paying it cannot be worth the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Although our room was very pleasant, I wouldn't choose a garden view room if I could afford bett...
5 Thank Timothy P
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Dear Timothy,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and with other Trip Advisor readers. I am truly sorry to hear you will not return to our secluded and marvelous gem. I only wish we would have known of your special requests before arrival so as to have made your stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel's tap water is treated by Osmosis, here on property; this kind of treatment makes our water, as per Mexican regulations, acceptable for human consumption. In addition, our equipment is cleaned and washed under very high temperatures, following strict federal regulations. Nevertheless, I consider this to be of the utmost importance and thus will follow up with my team so as to ensure all of our guests feel comfortable with the measures taken regarding the water supply. As per our pricing, please know that our lists have been reviewed and can assure you that we are in line with the competition. Also, and hoping you may find this information useful for future visits, please know that we have a Meal Plan available for those who prefer to better control their costs while vacationing. This Plan can be confirmed while booking online or directly at our hospitality desk upon check in.
I appreciate the time you took to write about your experience and I hope you reconsider visiting us again in the near future.
Best regards,
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

We went to Maroma in September of 2011. It was fantastic! I didn't really appreciate how awesome it was until last week when we went to Jamaica. Maroma is hands down SO much better! Beach, accomodations, service...everything. I am a beach fanatic and was so disappointed with Jamaica - wish I had returned to Maroma!

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms! It is a small resort, so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scrappy1010
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Scrappy,
Thank you very much for your complimentary words. We feel honored to know you really had a great time at Maroma. We look forward to welcome you again in the future to ensure you another authentic and unforgettable experience!
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

This was our second visit to Maroma resort and while this had been our favourite resort after our last stay,and while we also had a wonderful vacation this time, I must say that we would not return anymore.

The reason is simple: the prices for food and drinks are just ridiculously high. I have no problems paying top-dollar for top-quality but what Maroma charges is just too much.

Dear Management: you can milk a cow or you can butcher it. Me you have butchered.

11 Thank Luxury-Bliss
Dear Luxury-Bliss,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Although I sincerely regret learning your decision of making this your last visit to our beautiful paradise. I appreciate your feedback and I would like to share with you that our prices have been reviewed to ensure we are in line with our competitors and with our clients' expectations. On the other hand and in hopes this information may allow a change of mind, know that we have a Meal Plan available for those who prefer to better control their costs while vacationing. This Plan can be confirmed while booking online or directly at our hospitality desk upon check in.
I hope this information is helpful and you reconsider visiting us again in the future at which time we will ensure you have a completely new and wonderful experience.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Was a wonderful oasis and great food, lovely environment and people. Beach very relaxed. Try ancient spa rituals, they are fun!

Room Tip: Suite rooms on ocean are very nice, but front yard does not have privacy
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Jen,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. We are very happy to hear you had a wonderful time at Maroma. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future.
Mableton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Property was stunning with amazing villas/suites/rooms. I stayed in a suite overlooking the ocean and would sit out on my veranda every morning, reading the paper and drinking coffee that awaited me as I woke up.
The people were so friendly and interactive. We ate at the Cantina one night, experiencing different types of tequila and mescal, while eating the most traditional Mexican food (I never thought I would really like beef tongue). Fantastic!
What a memorable experience....and one that I would encourage anyone to take.
LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: Hey, stay in room 4!! Right on the beach, overlooking the ocean. Loved it!
2 Thank SAmaya30126
Dear SAmaya,
Thank you very much for your complimentary comment. We appreciate the time you took to write about us. It is a real pleasure to learn you had a truly authentic experience in our little Paradise. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future so you can enjoy another memorable experience and try other Mexican culinary experiences!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Just returned from a short trip. Overall, we had a lovely time. I'd rate overall experience 4.5 stars if I could.
My thoughts:
Location: Very short flight from NYC (approximately 3.5 hours direct). The ride from Cancun Airport to the resort is less than 30 minutes. The beach is as beautiful as the photos on the website - simply gorgeous.
The resort is a good balance of feeling exclusive without feeling overly secluded or private.
Facilities: We stayed in a beachfront Sian Nah suite which was huge and had two porches and a separate exercise room. Our room location was centrally located, yet far away enough from the restaurants and bar so that it was not noisy. The bathroom was gargantuan and oval shaped with two separate sinks, and both outdoor and indoor showers. (Not sure whether the water temp for the outdoor shower is supposed to get as hot as the water in the inside shower but it didn't.) Our room had a tiny plunge pool which we did not use. Complimentary bottles of water are provided in the room.
Service: The service at the restaurants and when eating at the beach was very attentive and first-rate. However, for some of the other services, we experienced several service "hiccups" . While some of these situations were remedied quickly with phone calls, I was surprised that these types of issues occurred at all, especially at a resort of this caliber.
Food: I suspect that because we are from NYC and have been to similar resorts, we had anticipated the food costs and did not experience any sticker shock at the prices. Having said that, Maroma has some of the best resort food I've ever had. We actually had reservations to an off-site restaurant one evening and decided to cancel, preferring instead to eat at the resort. Both BBQ night (Fri) and taco night (Thurs) are fabulous. I believe that taco night includes two alcoholic drinks per person. Additionally, breakfast (which I think is included with all reservations) is a true treat. It includes fresh fruit, handmade tortillas, fresh juices, coffe and/or a wonderful spiced hot chocolate drink, as well as your choice of a breakfast entree from the menu.
As a separate note, the complimentary daily coffee morning service to your room is a nice touch.
Suggestions for those going or considering going to Maroma:
- When traveling to/from Cancun Airport, you can ask the resort to arrange a car ($115 USD one way) or you can take a cab ($55 USD).
-While there are beach beds on the whole stretch of the beach, if you are planning to eat or drink while lounging, choose a location relatively close to the restaurant and bar if you want good service
-If you are disturbed by noise, etc. specify that you'd like a room far away from the restaurant areas and bar but still centrally located
-At times, there is a ton of seaweed in the water that then washes onto shore, so something to keep in mind if you want crystal clear water
Bottom-line: Maroma is a very expensive luxury resort. I wouldn't suggest it if you are looking for a 'deal' and cost is going to become a major concern. We understood this going into our trip - enjoyed ourselves immensely with the beautiful facilities, the delicious food, and the postcard perfect beach - and left with happy memories of our vacation.

Room Tip: If you are disturbed by noise, etc. specify that you'd like a room far away from the restaurant...
1 Thank ShuliQ
Dear ShuliQ,
Greetings from sunny Maroma! Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor readers. I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have. We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have never posted on Tripadvisor, but honestly I am so impressed by the Maroma that I simply felt compelled to. My husband and I just returned and it was one of the most incredible vacations we have ever taken. The service was impeccable, the grounds and facilities pristine, and the food delicious. It is a blissfully tranquil place for the sophisticated traveler seeking absolute solace and total relaxation in a beautifully natural environment. The assimilation of the beach and the jungle landscape in this rustic yet elegant resort is brilliantly executed. All the comforts of modern luxury offset with playful indigenous details, integration of the jungle's beautiful plants and animals, and romantic lighting.
I cannot praise this resort enough, in my opinion they have achieved perfection in hospitality, beauty, and comfort. We cannot wait to anniversary our trip, it’s worth the expense in every way.

Room Tip: I can't honestly say there is a "bad" room at this place. All the rooms offer a unique...
3 Thank Maggie B
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Maggie,
Thank you very much for your kind words! I really appreciate the time you took to post your first Trip Advisor comment to talk about us. We feel honored to know we made your stay an unforgettable and magic memory. We look forward to welcome you again in the future to ensure you another truly incredible vacation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,825 reviews

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!