In May this year we had our first trip to Mexico, and we chose the Maroma Resort and Spa because we were promised peace and quiet. The hotel is right on a beautiful beach, and it is certainly very peaceful. However, it is a little bit remote. The nearest town is Playa del Carmen which is a 25 dollar taxi ride away! The hotel itself is very well appointed. Our room was lovely, with good air conditioning and a massive bath! The staff are extremely attentive and pleasant, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
However, it is extremely expensive. Food and drink is very dear, and all excursions organized through the hotel are costly. Also, you are told that the water is undrinkable. We were provided with copious amounts of complimentary mineral water, so no problem there. However, though I'm sure its no fault of the hotel's, food, crockery, glasses etc. are washed in the water. Both my wife and I had badly upset stomachs which really affected our stay. Thank heavens for Immodium!
Despite the high standard of the hotel, we would not go back. When you are concerned about everything you eat or drink it really puts a dampener on your holiday, and for the prices you are paying it cannot be worth the inconvenience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, an award-winning luxury beach resort hotel on the Riviera Maya, Mexico. Experience the magic and the beauty of profound well-being in an eternal paradise located in a breathtaking corner of the Yucatan jungle on the Riviera Maya. Enjoy also One of the finest Playa del Carmen restaurants, El Restaurante's eclectic daytime menu offers offers an array of delicious regional specialties. Baja California style shrimp tacos, pescadillas, panuchos and sopes are some of the delicacies on offer. By nightfall, tables glow with candlelight, while a band serenades diners. Be tantalised by our executive chef's interpretation of traditional Mexican cuisine. Dishes include crispy duck tacos with salsa borracha, seafood pozole and lobster enchiladas. El Sol Tapas & Restaurant combines exquisite Mediterranean-style cuisine with a unique Pre-Hispanic Mexican twist. With a relaxed ambiance, large windows afford uninterrupted sea views. The tapas-style menu features a symphony of flavors. Feel your tastebuds tingle as sharp citrus contrasts with olive oils and chilies. Complement your dish with a selection from our international wine list. Or try a new-generation Mexican wine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Destinology so you can book your Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Maroma Resort Spa
- Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen