We attended Maroma Nov 2012 as a couple, joining 30 others to celebrate the wedding of our friends.
The hotel is pricy but everything was wonderful. Service was impeccable, food was fantastic, rooms were rustic chic. We absolutely loved the stay.
Its a 20-30min drive from Cancun. The hotel is situated in grounds down a windy road away from any other resorts on the Riviera Maya. This hotel experience makes relaxing so easy. A glass in hand on arrival, welcoming high-end spacious rustic rooms, with lots of nice in-room luxuries - personalized aromatherapy turn down service, plush bath robes, eco straw slippers, hand made soaps etc. The ocean is like a bath & no nasty currents.
Food was a real highlight. Started w/ a cinnamon coffee served in terra-cotta mugs in bed, to a huge breakfast w/ fresh fruits, mexican hot chocolate & pastries, plus your choice of the menu. Fish tacos were a big hit at lunch. The only one comment is that lunch/dinner are expensive so you might want to consider other options if staying for more than 2 days.
The hotel team made a fabulous job of the wedding. A set up on the beach for the ceremony and then a private reception around the pool (which is set apart from the restaurants and main areas for the hotel so as not to disturb other guests). It was truly magical w/ fairy lights set in the trees and a delicious mexican style buffet. Thanks to Maroma all of us including the bride and groom had wonderful memories to take w/ us.
Given the ease of travel to the hotel from NY, I would definitely consider a revisit. Maroma is a great experience and deserves the praise and accolades that it has earned in the travel press.
My only tip would be to let the hotel organize the transport to and from the airport. The local cab companies caused an issue on our return (were 30+mins late!). For US$40 more, I would have gladly paid the extra for the private transfer to have avoided this hassle on departure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to our secluded Riviera Maya resort, set on a pristine white beach among swaying coconut palms. Choose from 63 rooms decorated with plush sofas and Mayan artworks that open out onto the sparkling Caribbean or lush jungle. Sip a jalapeno-spiced cocktail to the sound of the waves at Freddy’s Tequila & Ceviche Bar. Dine at El Sol on contemporary Mexican cuisine paired with award-winning wines, or at El Restaurante, where delicious local and international specialties are served throughout the day. Away from the beach, enjoy snorkeling, diving and kayaking, play tennis or pedal off on a jungle tour. Within minutes of arrival you’ll feel oceans away from the real world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Maroma Resort Spa
- Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen