This resort is such a breath of fresh air among the gaudy and ostentatious resorts of Riviera Maya. No, it does not have a 100' tall entrance. No, it does not have thousands of rooms, and no, it is not all-inclusive. So if that's what you want, the beautiful and tasteful understate gate on highway will disappoint you. But if quality and service is what you are after, then you've hit the jackpot.
We spent a week at Maroma for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived everyone knew who we were, and made us feel absolutely special. The staff is extremely attentive without hovering and crowding you. The beach crew constantly rakes and sweeps the beach so it is always perfect. The spa is an outdoor sprawly complex and it is one of the most spectacular spas we have even been too (we've been to a lot!).
Our room (#20) was spacious and quite comfortable. Great mattress, and fabulous products. The closet was teeny, and no real storage though. I would swap out the desk for an armoire, if I were Maroma.
Now a couple of needs-improvement things:
1) Their drinks are really not that good! The bar tenders need to take a mixology class!
2) Guests leave one item on the beach beds to "hold" them, and don't show up for hours to enjoy the beach. Meanwhile there are other guests who would like to enjoy the beach but can not get a bed because of all the empty beds with an item on them. They really need to address this problem.
3) People are allowed to smoke on the property. The guest across our room would sit in front of our door and smoke, and put out her buds in the planter next to our room. We asked twice that they talk to her, and I think they did, but nothing changed. The property needs to be a non-smoking property. Period.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, an award-winning luxury beach resort hotel on the Riviera Maya, Mexico. Experience the magic and the beauty of profound well-being in an eternal paradise located in a breathtaking corner of the Yucatan jungle on the Riviera Maya. Enjoy also One of the finest Playa del Carmen restaurants, El Restaurante's eclectic daytime menu offers offers an array of delicious regional specialties. Baja California style shrimp tacos, pescadillas, panuchos and sopes are some of the delicacies on offer. By nightfall, tables glow with candlelight, while a band serenades diners. Be tantalised by our executive chef's interpretation of traditional Mexican cuisine. Dishes include crispy duck tacos with salsa borracha, seafood pozole and lobster enchiladas. El Sol Tapas & Restaurant combines exquisite Mediterranean-style cuisine with a unique Pre-Hispanic Mexican twist. With a relaxed ambiance, large windows afford uninterrupted sea views. The tapas-style menu features a symphony of flavors. Feel your tastebuds tingle as sharp citrus contrasts with olive oils and chilies. Complement your dish with a selection from our international wine list. Or try a new-generation Mexican wine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Maroma Resort Spa
- Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen