I had heard good things. I agree with most of the reviewers...property is amazing and lush. The spa is fantastic (ask for Sarah for a massage). Hotel transportation to and from the airport is a must...they meet you with cold water and cold towels....it's great! The beach is very clean and they don't allow people to sell anything in front of the hotel which is nice. All of the activities we booked through the hotel were perfect and the taxi they ordered us a few times was great as well. The food is good....the Mexican food specifically and the breakfast. The other items are so-so...traditional hotel fare...and very overpriced...$22 burger, $14 guacamole, $20 bottled water at dinner. Appetizers are $10-$12, main courses around $40. Margaritas are great...ask for victor at the bar...other mixed drinks are just ok.
The beach is gorgeous but getting any type of service out there is almost impossible unless you are in front of the bar (which is loud). 2we ended up just going in to order food and eating at the restaurant. We had a clogged drain from day 1 and despite repeated calls and requests...no one ever came to look at it. For $600/night...someone should at least humor you. There is no food or drink service at the pools. This is not an adults only hotel...there were a lot of screaming kids running around. They werent doing any of the theme nights while we were there which was really disappointing for us. The menu gets old after a few days. Quite a few times we asked about the specials and were told one thing...and something completely different showed up. Some people knew everyone's name which was really nice..but others (especially the waiters on the beach) seemed annoyed and literally rolled their eyes.
The coffee in the morning is great and we called a few times to change the time and they had it in our room in 10 minutes. I agree with other posters that you definitely don't want a room on the first floor and I would recommend it face the ocean. We had perfect weather in June...no rain.
Bring bug spray...they have some for you but it doesn't work well. We left with literally 100s of bites. It isn't a problem on the beach or if you use the screens in the room...but in the jungle part of the resort or off site for activities. I am sure this is obvious to most people...but I didn't expect the bugs and there is obviously little the hotel can do about it...it is actually much worse in other areas than at the hotel.
It is a great location...gorgeous resort. It's just not exactly what you would expect for a 5 star and for the money you pay. Check in was Very efficient...check out...not so much. We had a couple of questions on charges that we hadn't made and the response was pretty much...people never question us on the bill. It's not the worst we have ever stayed in...but certainly not the best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, an award-winning luxury beach resort hotel on the Riviera Maya, Mexico. Experience the magic and the beauty of profound well-being in an eternal paradise located in a breathtaking corner of the Yucatan jungle on the Riviera Maya. Enjoy also One of the finest Playa del Carmen restaurants, El Restaurante's eclectic daytime menu offers offers an array of delicious regional specialties. Baja California style shrimp tacos, pescadillas, panuchos and sopes are some of the delicacies on offer. By nightfall, tables glow with candlelight, while a band serenades diners. Be tantalised by our executive chef's interpretation of traditional Mexican cuisine. Dishes include crispy duck tacos with salsa borracha, seafood pozole and lobster enchiladas. El Sol Tapas & Restaurant combines exquisite Mediterranean-style cuisine with a unique Pre-Hispanic Mexican twist. With a relaxed ambiance, large windows afford uninterrupted sea views. The tapas-style menu features a symphony of flavors. Feel your tastebuds tingle as sharp citrus contrasts with olive oils and chilies. Complement your dish with a selection from our international wine list. Or try a new-generation Mexican wine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Maroma Resort Spa
- Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen