“Home Away from Home”

GreenLeadersGold level
CA
“Home Away from Home”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our second trip to Maroma - we also visited last November 2012. We stayed in the same oceanfront room for 7 nights.... even better than we remembered.

Highlights of our trip:
Beautiful Beach - impeccable service from Pablo
Gorgeous Grounds and Landscape... illuminated with thousands of candles every night
Spa...the best ever - so beautiful and the best massage (Coco & Minora)
Awesome Gym with fruit and chilled water at hand
Restaurant... delicious food and the best service from Marco at breakfast and San Pablo at dinner
Gabriel the Sommelier so knowledgeable- suggested amazing wine... Muga was our favorite.
Freddy & Victor at the Bar... so friendly - we looked forward to visiting them every night
Marco the night manager was so sweet and helpful
IN SUMMARY: We lived in the most beautiful paradise the past 7 nights filled with our favoriate friends...can't wait to return

Our only suggestion is that the hotel consider changing their status to adults-only or designating a specific area of the hotel and beach for families. Much too romantic for little ones

Room Tip: Oceanfront is literally only steps to the beach/ocean
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Romantic one,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review with our Trip Advisor readers. I am glad to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay and very pleased to learn you are considering returning to this little piece of paradise we call home. Regarding your kind comment about children in the property, our policy did change since January 2011, and we are welcoming children to experience our Maroma way of life with their parents. However, please accept my apologies on the inconveniences encountered; I very much appreciate your feedback and kind suggestion and it has been noted. We have assigned specific areas for them. I would be very happy to assist you on your upcoming reservation to your Mexican home and suggest dates in which you would not encounter the presence of so many children.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is our favorite place to stay when we go to Mexico. It is pretty easy to get to from the Cancun airport and is really a great little secluded resort. The beach is great. The rooms are nice. We are looking forward to going back for a friends wedding this December.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkoMcFadden
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear MarkoMcFadden,

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely review with our readers. We feel truly honored to know you and your wife had a fantastic time at our little Paradise, and mostly, that we are having you back so soon to celebrate the union of your friends. Maroma is ideal for weddings and we would love to read your review about your experience!

Mr. MarkoMcFadden, please know that you have you Mexican Home in Riviera Maya.

Arequipa, Peru
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My two kids, my husband and I have been there last year and it was so beautiful, maroma helps to make this place heaven, everything was so good, from the room to the service right in the beach, We where so in love to this place that we came back this year.

Room Tip: If you are going to pay for this hotel, I recomend to take one ocean view room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dianavss
Dear Dianavss,
Dear Dianavss,

Thank you so much for your lovely review and taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. We are delighted to read your comment and mostly that you have returned back to your Mexican Home!

We will be delighted to pamper you and your lovely family again and again in our little paradise!

Sincerely yours,
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I'm years late writing this review, but I wanted to b/c when anyone asks me where to go in Mexico, I immediately say Maroma. My mom, sister and I spent Christmas 2010 (I'm sure it's just as fab now) here and I've been longing to go back ever since, also next time will be with my husband. This place is super romantic, wonderfully quiet, private, and stunning. It's also pretty close to the Cancun airport, which made us feel safer. The building is set pretty far off the main road, and when you walk in, you know this place is unlike anywhere else. The grounds are lush and the beach is gorgeous. Awesome double beds on the sand and someone always asking you if you need anything. We had a wonderful suite on the second story facing the ocean. I especially enjoyed the in room coffee in the morning while looking out to the water. Peaceful and glorious! The food was wonderful. We never left the hotel. We all got wonderful massages and facials on Christmas day. We also got to holiday with Caroline Kennedy and her family who were also there which made us feel like we were in the right place :) I don't know how one couldn't enjoy Maroma. Stay here and you won't be disappointed. It's worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Alexa R
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Alexa R,

Wow! thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely and incredibly detailed response
Even after so long!
it is such a pleasure to read that after a few of years, our little paradise is still part of your memories and heart. We are very proud for the amazing location Maroma has, so we work as a team to maintain the beautiful balance between our grounds and our resort which results into a reverence for pure escapism into the amazing tropical jungle of Riviera Maya. We will make sure to share your kind comments with the Maroma Family.

We will be very pleased to hear that we will be welcoming you back very soon.

wisconsin
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just finished up a stay here for our anniversary. The grounds are spectacular, and the service is great. Breakfast is a definite highlight and included in the room price. Multiple courses and very tasty, and you can eat at tables with an uninstructed view of the sea.

The rooms are small but adequate. They have a feel of rustic Mexican luxury.

Everything is very expensive here. Water costs $13 per bottle. That seems a bit unnecessary. A margarita is 12, a hamburger is 22. Most entrees on the dinner menu are 30-50 usd.
The beach is magnificent. Turqoise waters, not too much surf, powder white sand beach. Beautiful sunsets.

The spa is world class. A true retreat in an already beautiful resort. There is a prep area with steam room, sauna and plunge pool for use before you are walked to your treatment room. Treatments are pricey but very well done
The dinner menu is somewhat small but the food is very good. I don't think one would like to eat there daily for more than a few days--the menu would become tiresome and the prices would pile up.
The staff is a highlight, always friendly friendly and accommodating.
We really enjoyed talking with Victor at the bar.

The only thing holding me back from giving 5 stars is a broken promise. Marisol told me prior to arrival that we could be upgraded to a suite if there was one available. When we arrived, we were out into a room that looked directly at the bar, and the bar patrons were looking right into our room. We asked about the suite. she said she couldn't upgrade us to a suite. She implied there were none available (which isn't true, many were available), and said our current room was already an upgrade. We were given a different room, more private, but not the suite she said we could get. We are happy with our room, I just don't understand why we'd be told one thing before arriving and then another when we got here. This slightly marred an otherwise fantastic stay, and would make me pause before returning or recommending the resort to a friend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chwtom
Dear Mr.Chwtom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind comments during your stay with us, One of my favorites activities at Maroma is breakfast as you mention, the quality of our ingredients, is possible due to our work with local suppliers that hand craft their agricultural products to offer the quality we aim in our daily gastronomic experience. We will make sure to share your lovely review with our Food and Beverage Team.

As General Manager of Maroma Resort and Spa, I personally have looked into the each of the situations you encountered and would like for you to first, accept my apologies for the inconveniences encountered.
Every day, we do our best to care for our guest desires and try to accomplish all the special requirements our guest may have, concerning your comment, nevertheless, this situation could have been handled differently and for this, I apologize, it has not been our intention to create a misunderstanding. I have discussed this, having my Rooms Division Director, personally make sure this situation does not repeat in the future. Therefore, you can rest assured corrective measures have been implemented in each area of opportunity you have mentioned and appreciate you having brought these matters to my attention.
We offer guests an experience that sits within a context and a culture. This is found just as much inside our doors as outside. We have the highest standards of quality in products used in the preparation of dishes; it is not our intention to surprise our guests with high prices, prices for all our services are reviewed periodically and are determined based on market studies, ensuring we are in line with the prices offered by our competitors in the destination.
I only hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and provide you of what a true Maroma Experience is.

Sincerely yours,

Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Maroma is AWESOME. We went for our honeymoon and I honestly can't wait to go back. The beach is so beautiful, and we have been to a ton of places mind you, and this by far is one of the best. We were blown away by the service. They all make an effort to learn your name, and everyone is so friendly. The room is air conditioned and comfortable, and really, really nice. We loved the bar there and really just relaxed. Victor made the best Paloma's! Breakfast is absolutely fantastic. I found myself looking forward to it the moment I woke up. We did a thing called a Cantina one night, and it was really fun. Just a tequila and mezcal tasting that we loved! Overall, this was so awesome. I can't say enough about the level of service. Plus, sunrises and sunsets were so amazing from our little hammock on the deck. Can't wait to return! The only trouble we had the whole trip was finding the location- if you hit the burger barn you went too far!
Great dinner place: Pavo Real. Right on the beach and only 5 tables.

Room Tip: Room number 1 was the best! Close to the bar, but not loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katej160
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Katej160,

We are delighted to read your kind review and we would like to thank you so much for taking the time to share with our Trip Advisor readers your lovely honey moon in our little paradise. It is always the best motivation for the whole Family to receive feedback. We will make sure to transmit it!
As you mention, Maroma has a true sense of place that you can witness such as our Cantina Night, where you really feel the Mexican roots through its spirits and your palate will have one of the best flavors’ adventures!

We appreciate so much your comment regarding onr how to get to our little paradise; we will make sure to share a location map with our guest that decide to come in their own transportation.

We are delighted to find out that you will come and visit us in the not to distant future!

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

This is a great place for couples, with great service and personal attention to details, starting with fresh coffee brought to your room every morning, the great breakfast to order, including the superb "gorditas con cuitlacoche" handmade to order by "Tia Dalia". For lunch or at the beach excellent ceviche with the house Margarita or a coconut. Excellent wine selection... The perfect beach... Sensational and relaxing!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Homero V
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Homero V,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our little paradise and your discovery of the Mexican Gastronomy through our kitchen was memorable! We are proud to say that for the sixth time in a row, we have been awarded by Wine Spectator and our specialty are Mexican Wines, which can surprise to the most demanding palate. We must agree with you that the best hand-made tortillas are from our beloved “Tía” Dalia!

We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future in your Mexican home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,983 reviews

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!