“AMAZING ALL AROUND”

GreenLeadersGold level
Visalia, California
“AMAZING ALL AROUND”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We visited Maroma on our Honeymoon and could not have been in a better place. The entire staff was so accommodating, warm and paid attention to detail! They knew our names and we were always properly greeted. It was so magical being in a place that made you feel so special. I can imagine down the road at secrets you are simply a number as you lay out on one of the 40 different cabanas. However, at Maroma Resort and Spa each Cabana/bed is properly attended to, in beautiful condition, and just steps from the water! Simply perfect.
The food was also delicious. After reading a few of the other reviews concerning price I would say that for all the quantity and quality of food it makes sense. Every morning Breakfast is served with artisan pastries, Mexican hot chocolate, fresh fruit, fresh juice and much more. In my opinion if you are really enjoying your vacation then sit there for a couple hours and enjoy and long delicious breakfast just steps from the most amazing ocean on earth! The resort does a great job of giving very different lunch and dinner options which most resorts serve similar items which makes picking meals boring after the second or third day. Maroma's menus are eclectic not to mention the ability to choose between two different dining experiences and on some evenings even a third. Not to mention the wine list:)
Finally, the room leaves me speechless. We had the most beautiful turndown service each and every night, full with rose pedals, personalized notes, and a perfectly cleaned room. I would also give the quality of the room 5 stars.
Honestly, the only negative comment we had the entire trip was flat and expired beer out of the mini bar on one day...One phone call and everything was perfect within minutes.
If you want personalized service from happy employees, delicious food with plenty of options (we even asked for chicken fingers..my husband is a plain eater...and no questions were asked, he had delicious chicken fingers), and the most beautiful hotel and scenery on the coast of mexico then Maroma is for you!

Room Tip: We had one of the largest suites and I say go for it! It has soo much room complete with a gym, plu...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kristen V
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Kristen,

Many Thanks for your complimentary words and such in detail review!

We feel truly honored to know that you and your husband had a fantastic time at our little Paradise. The hotel is relatively small, with only 63 rooms, meaning that even when full, the hotel remains private and intimate. We have shared your lovely comments to our Family as we need to continue protecting and improving our beautiful property.

We look forward to pamper you on the near future and hopefully with your new family!

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

This resort is small but all class - first class - rooms are beautiful Beach is awesome - food outstanding. Beds on the beach are my favorite part - go from your bed in your room to your bed on the beach complete with full bar/meal service - the ultimate in luxury!

Room Tip: All rooms are great - 2nd floor has better view but first floor has direct beach access
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank meiko225
Dear meiko225,

Thank you so much for your lovely review and taking the time to share it with our TripAdvisor readers. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed so much our beds! As you mention, our beach is considered as one of the most beautiful beaches around the world.

We look forward to welcoming you back in your Mexican home in the not too distant future!

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

we recently returned from a four day vacation at the Maroma resort. Overall, we had a wonderful time. The location of the hotel, the grounds, and the staff were all wonderful. Everyone knew us by name and always had a smile on their face that showed their geniune desire for us to be happy as their guests. The beach was spectacular and our favorite activity was laying on the king sized beach beds with bottle of wine, watching the sun set over the ocean. The hotel was fairly empty but gave us the impression that even when full, you do not feel like the place is crowded. the rooms were very comfortable. we had an ocean view room with a balcony that we enjoyed using every day. My only comment for the room was that the bathroom was a bit small. Next time i think i would have gone for the suite if i was going to stay longer than three days.

Here is my only real complaint. The food. It was underwhelming and dissapointing to say the least! The prices are really astronomical and typically I am prepared for that when going to a 5 star resort. BUT, when i pay those kind of prices, i expect to have the selection, quality, and service associated with them. Maroma's menus were very limited and had no real personality. On top of that, our food often arrived cold. I am a foodie and therefore hold myself to a higher standard. My boyfriend, however, is very easy going and typically never complains about the food. Even he was disappointed in almost every meal. The only night that we thought the food was very good was on a friday when they had a giant buffet (i typically hate buffets) with freshly grilled lobsters and steaks and other local items.

We went to the spa and and had a couples rock massage. I've had probably 50 rock massages at different resorts and typically choose that one cause even if the therapist isn't that great, you still get the benefits of the heat and rock therapy. I can tell you that I have never had a worse Rock massage! The therapist CLEARLY was not trained on how to administer it and using the rocks was more of an afterthought it seemed. She also was more of a "rubber" rather than Masseuse. She did not have any technique other than using a rock to rub my body up and down. My boyfriend, had a very different experience. His therapist was very familiar with how to give a proper rock massage and he said it was fabulous! she placed them strategically on his body and incorporated the strokes with the rocks for a wondeful experience.

all in all, the grounds and staff alone are worth coming here for! Hopefully the food and spa will make improvements. I would still go back

Room Tip: ocean view is worth the upgrade...if you need bigger bathroom , go for a suite.
2 Thank LeoraLesh
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear LeoraLesh,

I would love to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience in our little paradise and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed so many of our activities. As you mention, we count with a beautiful beach that has won many accolades, and with only 63 rooms, you can rest assured it will always be secluded and private.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. After all of your detailed feedback, I truly appreciate to bring the mentioned matters to my attention. I have addressed them both to my Executive Committee, offering you an apology for the inconvenience. We will go under a revision of the quality of our service.
I only hope to have the opportunity to have you back and try us again in a future stay, at which time I will personally make sure you experience the true meaning of our Maroma Resort and Spa way of life.
I kindly request you to contact me directly or your travel agent for your upcoming reservation, and let us making it up for you.

Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We like small luxury hotels with attentive staff and excellent food, and what I would term an elegant, understated decor. This is a rare place in Mexico, unfortunately. We visited Maroma perhaps 10 times over a 6 year period just prior to the Orient-Express buying the hotel, and just absolutely loved the hotel when it was owned and operated by the hotel architect Jose-Luis & his lovely wife Sally. Their motto "Anything is possible at Maroma" was played out time and again for us years ago. We didn't return to Maroma for a number of years-just didn't want to mar our memories of a place we had just absolutely loved, and knew there had been changes. We finally overcame the reluctance as there's no other place like Maroma, and have been there 3 times in the last 19 months.

I want to continue loving this place, as it really is the only hotel we know of that is small and intimate in that area. The beach is still beautiful, the staff are all so very very nice, and you just can't beat the Junior suite (the same one) we have stayed in every time we've visited-just an incredible view right on the beach, a lovely outdoor terrace with a hammock and comfortable chairs to read in, and a very very comfortable room with all the quirky charm of old. Despite this, we have been a little disappointed in Maroma on our 3 visits.

We also had a leak in our suite during the rain, as someone else commented on, but that is not the cause of our disappointment. Our first visit 19 months ago was marred by a loud wedding party hanging out at the outdoor bar that made it impossible to enjoy our beautiful terrace on our last night, and kept us up until the wee hours of the morning. You see this everywhere in the hotels in Cancun and around Maroma who bill themselves as destination wedding spots, but Maroma is NOT set up for this-it's a completely laid-back spot with NO night life, and that's why it appeals to people like us. On our second visit, we noticed a rip in the covering of one of the outdoor mattresses, and also a slightly ripped cushion on our terrace. I wrote a note to the manager, and it definitely got attention, saying this was not their standards, and both these were corrected the next day. Our 3d visit was 2 weeks ago, and again we saw a ripped cushion on one of the mattresses on the beach. It was corrected promptly when brought to the attention of the Hospitality Manager, Mr. Manuel Ramirez, and we greatly appreciate the fact that he came to seek us out to apologize for this. The Kinan Spa offers some kind of ritual spa treatment involving a wood fire in a structure not far away from our suite. We were awakened from an afternoon nap on our first day with the smell of smoke-so much so that we were very concerned there was a fire in the room until we realized what the cause was. Again, this was handled extremely well by the staff, who offered to move us, saying it was caused by an unusual wind pattern. We chose not to move because we love this suite and the location, and they asked the spa not to book any more of these. We greatly appreciated the bottle of champagne we were sent at dinner the next night as an apology-the staff really is great. But that first treatment should never have been booked under wind conditions like that, and for the kind of money Maroma costs, somebody should have thought about that.

We felt the towels were a little thin on this most recent trip, and not the plush hotel towels we have had in the past there, nor what we'd expect from an expensive hotel like this. The first morning of our stay, we noticed a stain on our bottom sheet-no concern about hygiene,it was clearly clean, but this should have been thrown away rather than used. The second morning, we called to ask for our coffee service to be sent up a little earlier that day, as we woke up much earlier than we expected. It arrived the next two mornings at 7, rather than 8 as we requested at check in, and was cold by the time we woke about 7:45. The restaurant service was just off a beat….not anything that was terribly egregious, but things didn't flow quite seamlessly. Again, the restaurant is expensive. I just expect more.

We may go back again, as there just really is not anything like it on the beach outside of some small places we've been to in Asia and this is certainly easier to get to, but I'm not sure. It is expensive, without a doubt. That is completely fine with us if everything lives up to it, which it hasn't on any of our three visits. I realize Maroma has lots of competition for the tourist dollar these days. But it sure seems to us that Maroma doesn't know what it wants to be these days. We think there is a continued market for guests such as us, and frankly, we wouldn't mind paying a little bit more if "Anything is possible in Maroma", as it used to be. Unfortunately, it just misses that mark right now, in our opinion.

2 Thank LHRandolph
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear LHRandolph ,

I would like to thank you for your time to give us a straight and detailed feedback. I am truly sorry to learn that your visit to our little paradise was not what you expected as a result of the situations mentioned above.

I personally have looked into each one of them and would like for you to first, accept my apologies for the inconveniences.

I have followed up with our Executive Committee to painstakingly revise all of our stock and service. You can rest assured we will always do our best to make your stay memorable. I appreciate you having brought these matters to my attention. I understand how important it was for you to relax and would very much appreciate having an opportunity of erasing this experience should you consider giving us a chance to make up for this situation in a future stay. I would be happy to suggest dates in which you would not encounter a wedding and assist you with your reservations.

I look forward to seeing you back in the not too distant future

Kind Regards

Managing Director - Maroma
NY NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and i just spend an incredible long weekend at Maroma. The staff could not be more attentive, the food delicious and a beach that rivals any I've seen at luxury resorts around the Caribbean. We cannot wait to go back

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Wittney,

Many Thanks for your lovely comments and taking the time to write them. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and that Maroma Family pampered you and your beloved ones enough that I am delighted to read that we will welcome you again in the not too distant future!

Riviera Maya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Beautiful hotel, wonderful staff, but at time an a la carte ripoff. Can't get past 100 bucks a person for taco night!
Can't wrap our heads around those kind of events.
Use to be free transport from airport, now 120 bucks each way. Absurd.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Rlandsman4
Dear Rlandsman4,

We truly appreciate for you taking the time to share your feedback with me and our TripAdvisor readers concerning your recent experience in Maroma Resort and Spa.

I exhort and appreciate the comments from our guests as it nourishes me with important information that allows us to enhance our product and improve our service with continuous assessment, we take every criticism seriously.

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction during your dinner with us. We offer guests an experience that sits within a context and a culture. This is found just as much inside our doors as outside. We have the highest standards of quality in products used in the preparation of dishes; it is not our intention to surprise our guests with high prices, prices for all our services are reviewed periodically and are determined based on market studies, ensuring we are in line with the prices offered by our competitors in the destination.
I only hope to have the opportunity to erase this negative image of our little paradise in a future stay, at which time I will personally make sure you experience the true meaning of our Maroma Resort and Spa way of life.

Sincerely yours,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Mexicos finest if you like exclusivity. Safe and private a great alternative for people that are used to private villas. The service is amongst the finest in the world. Only negative is the large resort next door and some of their guest wander on to maromas beach

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank TraveleroneWorld
Dear TraveleroneWorld,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and taking the time to write your review. We concur with your lovely comments, Maroma is a very secluded and safe piece of heaven that we call home, our lush gardens are the perfect option for a romantic walk, with only 63 deluxe rooms and suites in 25 acres, you can rest assured that our little paradise will always be protected. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,925 reviews

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!