“Vacation Paradise”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 February 2014

On a beautiful beach, Maroma offers a choice of suites in a jungle setting or on the beach front. Staff is beyond superb in friendliness and willingness to do whatever is required to please guests. Great chef. We left believing that we received tremendous value for the money spent. This is truly ann escape to paradise.

Room Tip: Check out the room before accepting. The rooms in the same category are not identical
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay in the Riviera Mayaband for sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor´s readers.

It is a true pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our team has created memorable experiences that you have taken back home. ou have been able to capture the essence of our little paradise.

Therefore, the entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back soon to out legendary hotel for more amazing experiences!

Regards,

Federico echaiz
managing director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

There is so much good about this property. It's the 2nd time we've been back in 2 years. Some of the staff even remembered us. let's begin with the negative. I booked directly with the hotel, which gave us the same price as if we booked w/ amex. we wouldn't have been able to use the amex FH & R amenities given our flights and didn't really care about a "possible room upgrade". We received a resort credit which was suspect on the itemized bill due to their "accounting practices" they took the "credit" off when entered in the system. You never get a receipt here so it was kind of shady but at the end of the day $250 wasn't going to change my life or ruin my trip.
Now for the positive:the staff is amazing, they are helpful without being overbearing, They're friendly,funny, & can not do enough for you. Freddy's Bar has to be one of my favorite Beach Bars in the world. I like that if you are not in the mood for "the restaurant atmosphere, you can eat at the bar with any menu. The rooms were spacious and the AC worked very well. The cleaning staff was outstanding. The food delicious, I dare you to find better ceviche anywhere. You will find just as good locally but not bestir ( just less $$$$ but not as convenient)
You will meet more than a handful of people who keep returning and returning. The beach is beautiful-I truly liked the gym great equipment & clean. My spa experience was better last year than this but still very good.
I would go back next year, next week, or tomorrow in a heart beat. not great for kids but there were a few there. very romantic but met a few people who were there alone to get way from NY. If I could rate this a 4.8 I would. Nothing is perfect but this is pretty darn close

1  Thank Valerie D
MaromaResortandSpa, Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you so much for your review and taking the time to share it with our TripAdvisor readers. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you in the, your Mexican home.
We look forward to see you again if you are back in Mexico!

Kind Regards,
managing director

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Staying at Maroma Beach resort is a little like staying in someone's home - all the staff call you by your first name, you don't sign for anything after each meal, and so on. And if course the beach is glorious. The staff are all warm and friendly, but service on occasion could be a little slow and command of the English language is sometimes not what you would expect. The overall experience was great and Frederico, the resort's General Manager, is one of the very best - professional, thoughtful, attentive. My wife and I will definitely return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank MichaelLondon_UK
MaromaResortandSpa, Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our TripAdvisor readers. I am happy to learn you had such a wonderful experience. Additionally, know that I have taken note of your constructive input and steps to correct these inconsistencies in our service have been taken. I appreciate your support and preference for our little paradise.

Looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to your paradise home, away from home.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

So my husband researched and took me there for my birthday. This is a small hotel/resort with definite old world Mexico charm. I have traveled and lived near Mexico all my life and this is NOT your drunken spring break hotel. In fact there was little to do except sleep, eat, sunbathe, and drink--which is EXACTLY what I wanted to do. It's a gorgeous well established property with around 60 rooms, 2 restaurants, 3 pools (1 of which was heated). There is an abundance of very lovely and accommodating staff there for your every need (much of it for a price). Many of the staff had been there for a number of years which I think speaks well of the place.

The room was spacious but not large compared to some hotels I've stayed in in the area. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows needed updating. The property is rather compact without feeling so. There was not a long hike to get to any of it. Wifi was fairly reliable. No televisions in the room which made my husband a little nervous, but he loved it after a couple of days.

Coffee and hot chocolate were delivered to our door every morning and we enjoyed it on our patio while watching critters hop through trees. Our plan came with breakfast which could be eaten at the beachfront restaurant or in the room. It was very good and they were accommodating in adding or subtracting ingredients--I have to have avocado on/with everything nearly. Dinner was served in 2 different restaurants and they seem to have a themed dinner somewhere on the property most nights. It's a bit difficult to find out about these. The regular restaurants while a bit expensive seemed a fairly good value once you see that they are good sized dinners with sides, etc. Drinks were very well mixed by excellent bar staff.

Lots of beds, towels, umbrellas, and the occasional small snack were available on the beach. The beach menu is the larger of the lunch menus-- and they'll deliver- along with good drinks iced down.

Okay here's the down side and what I'd do differently- and I've been in the hospitality business. Under ordinary circumstances these would not be mentioned but at a hotel of this caliber and price these should be standard.

1) We were 'sort of' promised an upgrade and when we arrived they told us the hotel was full. It was not. It was about half full the entire time we were there. The amount of good will that would provide is priceless and at no cost to the hotel. I had read on trip advisor that other's had been promised an upgrade and didn't get it. I really didn't expect this but it would have been really good business on their part and I didn't want to start off in complaining mode.

2) We were given expectations upon arrival that ice would be delivered to our room twice a day. We had to call for it almost every time. A small ball drop but again not expected at this hotel.

3) I would put out a daily notice of the special eating options. There's a small barrel outside of the restaurant that is so unnoticeable as to be rather useless. Some of the staff didn't know about it and the other half didn't know the price. It became annoying to ask every time about this. On each of the "special dining" nights the staff went to huge trouble to do something fun, and almost nobody attended because either they didn't know enough about it and/or it was too pricey for what it was.

3) We paid $35 US, yes, $35, at the boutique for sunscreen. Absurd and rather insulting. This falls under the category, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

4) The bed pillows need to be replaced. They were very hard.

Would this keep me from going back? Probably not. It's a beautiful hotel on a beautiful beach with lovely staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank apinnell
MaromaResortandSpa, Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Almost Perfect,

I want to thank you for taking the opportunity to share with TripAdvisor followers your recent experience in Maroma Resort & Spa. I encourage and appreciate receiving feedback from our guests as the information provided aids us in our daily efforts of improving in any way possible our services as well as our surroundings for you to fully enjoy.

Nothing beats the feeling of knowing we have made your vacation a wonderful experience. A moment in time, in which you were truly able to disconnect and relax.

On the other hand, know that I have noted your kind observations concerning a couple of aspects of your experience and on which corrective measures have been initiated to improve these areas of opportunity to better serve you and our present guests. Thank you for being part of our day to day efforts of providing you with the service and attention you deserve.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back some time in the near future and experience the changes made.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have only gone to Maroma in the last 8 years, so obviously I go multiple times a year. I'm 66 and have traveled extensively throughout the world & when I got to Maroma 8 years ago; I basically stopped exploring, except for several other trips thru Mexico & the Caribbean.

I cannot say enough about what a special experience that you will encounter at Maroma! Let's start with the management, Federico Echaiz, Edgar Niebla, Heda Cheda, Juan Pablo Loza, Manuel Ramirez & Luis Ramirez: All of whom will dedicate themselves to you or your group having a memorable experience.

They treat me like family & I feel they are my family! My last trip was Thanksgiving & I'm now partially disabled; they helped me get around the resort & made sure I had everything I needed. I used to go 7-8 times/year, but I'm limited now.

Juan Pablo, Chef, has won many awards, including "Best Young Chef in Mexico" & has worked in Los Cabos, NYC, Mexico City & Antigua. Since he came to Maroma a few years ago, the food, wines, & tequilla selections are now worthy of any big international city!

Please try Maroma; I have a chair with my name on it (Arnie) at Fredy's Bar & ask if I'm there? I'm happy to talk with anyone or message me with questions! I think 46 times at the same resort says something!

Saludos,

Arnie

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ArnieF
MaromaResortandSpa, Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Arnie,

Thank you for such an incredible testimony of your experience with our beloved Maroma Resort & Spa over the past years. Your Maroma family and I personally, appreciate your continued support and preference.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your Mexican home away from home.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

A great place to relax, unwind and be pampered. The staff are genuinely friendly and we're always available to make sure we were having a wonderful time. We have been there twice and we want to make it an annual trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Doug O
MaromaResortandSpa, Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay for the second time and for sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor´s readers.

It is a true pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our team has created memorable experiences that you have taken back home. As I always say, there is only one way to have a happy guest and that is having a happy team!.

Therefore, the entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our little paradise for more amazing experiences!
Regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Initally I was planning a vacation with one of my daughters, so we purchased a package through an auction site. Then her twin sister got time off and asked to join us. But the room we booked could not accomodate a third person. I asked if to pay a supplement for a junior suite but the hotel insisted I purchase it at the rack rate. And it wouldn't let us out of the original package deal so we could rebuy the suite at the auction site price. We had the uncomfortable impression that the hotel was trying to take advantage of our situation and force us into paying the full rate. The auction site tried to negotiate for us as well. Eventually, we bought a second package and now have two rooms, which is still less expensive than the rack rate for the suite. We are looking forward to our stay at this highy regarded resort but be warned about trying to change your reservation, even if you are willing to pay more.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Rita G
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear guest,

First and foremost I want to apologize for the inconveniences you mention having encountered at the time of booking your reservation. As I lack of information surrounding your case, I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing this further with you upon your arrival to our little paradise.

Please feel free to contact me. In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you.soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!