“Lovely resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Saratoga, California
“Lovely resort”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed at Maroma for a week in January 2014. We had an excellent experience. The staff is incredibly attentive and provides very high level of service, and that includes everyone -- concierge, room service, restaurant servers, beach attendants. The food is excellent. Breakfasts and dinners on the terrace, just steps from the beach, were very relaxing. The hotel was not full when we arrived, so they upgraded us to a beautiful, spacious suite. Morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate delivery to our room was a treat. We could sit on the balcony and watch the sun rise, with the occasional coati wandering through the early morning stillness on the resort grounds. The grounds were spotless. They rake up seaweed on the beach and remove it several times a day just to keep it nice for the guests. It's a really nice beach, and we enjoyed taking long walks down the beach in both directions. The staff will arrange private tours of Mayan sites, cenotes, and snorkeling sites on request (though these aren't cheap). Just an excellent all around vacation for us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience in our little paradise and for choosing our hotel for your stay. Nothing is more satisfying than to learn we have met our valued guests' expectations.

Hoping to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have visited Maroma almost every year since 1997. Once again, it has provided a romantic escape from the daily grind. The beach, spa, room, food and Maroma Margaritas were excellent. The hotel is beautifully maintained, and the staff is wonderfully gracious and attentive. We can't wait to return again next year!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank JPAmbler
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

There isn't more encouraging than to receive such a positive feedback from our valued guests.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

It is a true pleasure to receive you in your home every time you decide to visit your home in this beautiful piece of Paradise on 2015.

Best regards,
oakville
Reviewed 7 March 2014

There really is no place more beautiful than Maroma. The food is great, the people are genuinely welcoming, and the beach is the best in the area. It's details like the hundreds of little candles lighting the paths at night, and coffee magically appearing outside your door in the morning that make it so special. It is elegant without being pretentious - a quiet and comfortable place to get away. Unfortunately the peace and quiet doesn't extend onto the beach and ocean - there seemed to be quite a bit of jet ski and parasailing traffic in front of the resort when we were there (more than on our last visit). I was concerned that the shift away from the Adults Only policy would be another threat to the peace and quiet, but it wasn't a problem when we were there.

The only disappointments were that candles and aroma therapy weren't part of the turn-down service (this was something we enjoyed last time) and smoke from an evening Temazcal ceremony blew right into our room - the smell was very strong and made for an uncomfortable night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank m f
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest:

I truly appreciate you taking the time to help us with your valuable feedback concerning your recent stay in Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa. The information provided is of great value as it helps us to ensure we do not deviate from our goals of providing the service and personalized attention you deserve.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the negative aspects of your experience as the result of the water activities at the Marina and the smoke from the Temazcal sessions. These two issues will be discussed with the areas involved with the intention of finding ways to reduce any annoyance to our guests, caused by these activities.

Concerning the aromatherapy, I apologize for this omission and I am sorry you felt disappointed, although it is on a request basis that they are lit. This observation is provided at check in. Regardless, I will discuss further with my hospitality manager to ensure that during the check in process in the room, each and every aspect of our services are informed accurately.

I believe your overall experience was satisfactory and would look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future, at which time I will be happy to personally ensure you are receiving our handmade hospitality.

Kind regards,
new york
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was our second trip to the Mayan Riviera last year we stayed at a similar boutique hotel about a half hour south of the Maroma. This is a beautifully maintained property with a gracious, kind and extremely competent staff. All of the folks that worked at the hotel were wonderful hosts. Initially I was a little disappointed by my room because it was a little small, lacked a TV and the plunge pool we had at the hotel we stayed the previous year, but but I got over it quickly, our room overlooked the beach and had a great terrace, it was really nicely furnished with locally made furniture, a comfortable with great sheets and the housekeepers did a great job. Freddies bar was great, the food is very pricey but the chef is extraordinarily talented, if you want to save a little $$$ rent a car and eat dinner in Playa del Carmen which is a quick ride down the road, the concierges are really helpful and they can make recommend and make reservations at some great spots in town. The beach is wide and soft and the water is great. The staff at the beach was incredibly accommodating. Unlike the place we stayed last year Maroma has a gym and its a good one which I really enjoy on vacation and need when I'm home. The premises are beautifully maintained and much larger then you would expect from a hotel that has only 68 rooms. One complaint echoes another review, get rid of the jet skis!!!!
They are noisy and while they don't spoil an idyllic setting they are loud and annoying. This is a really nice place, big $$$$ but you get what you pay for. Highly recommended

2 Thank stevieNewYork
Dear Stevie:

I appreciate the opportunity given to welcome you in your home in Paradise, and the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

Concerning the issue of the jet skies, we are working on ways to reduce any annoyance to our guests cause by these activities.

Overall, I am glad to read that you enjoyed our unique handmade hospitality. I will be sharing your kind words with the rest of our Maroma family and would look forward to welcoming you back to your Caribbean home, in the not so distant future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2014

What an incredible experience it is to stay at Maroma Resort. My wife and I stayed in February to escape this brutal winter in the NE USA. Thanks to Andrew Harper, we picked this winner. The perfect beach, gracious staff, gorgeous rooms and great food make Maroma a truly world class resort.

The only negative things that I can find with the resort have to do with the expense. We paid handsomely for a very special experience and I left feeling that it was worth every penny. They do really push the limit here with $10+ of Fiji water and 5+ times markups on wine in your room minibar - but mostly this is in line with what you might see at similar high end resorts in the US. They do offer free 'Maroma' water that is simply filtered bottled water and that is just fine if you don't want to pay a couple hundred $ for bottled water over the course of your stay. The one thing I thought was awful gouging was the sun screen in the gift shop, going for over $35?! This is basically a necessity at a subtropical beach resort and maybe it is similarly priced at the nearby resorts. Still, it left a bad taste in my mouth (and I did not even need to buy any.) If you are stretching your budget to stay here I would recommend you rent a car on your way in as we did - the rental pays for itself when you consider the cost of Maroma's airport transfer. Then get some groceries in town - wine, beer, sunscreen, cigars, snacks etc all can be had very cheaply at local supermakets and shops and cut your expense considerably. The extras do really add up at this hotel. But again, I feel that the experience we had was worth every penny we paid.

As for the positives, most everything has been said in previous reviews but I guess one thing I can add is how much I really enjoyed the food here- and that is coming from an admitted food snob. Don't miss the amazing breakfasts - Mexican Eggs Benedict was awesome and not to be missed. Lunches at the beach bar (or on the beach) were excellent as well - the ceviches and fish burrito stood out for me there. And dinner options are great too. Most nights they offered a 'special' dinner and these were the ones we loved the most. We had an incredible 'Pre Hispanic' themed dinner, served in the jungle using traditional Mayan ingredients and cooking methods. The chef explained each of the 8 or 9 courses to each table - so gracious and well done. There was also a fish dinner served on the beach that might have been my favorite. So simply done but so awesome. Don't miss these! The dinners at the 2 restaurants were also very good but not quite as special.

Also special was the spa - my wife said it was her most unique spa experience ever. We also really enjoyed some of the activities. The snorkeling and jungle bike rides were great. But its the beach we all come here for and it does not disappoint.

Enough gushing! This place rocks! We will be back....hopefully very soon.

Room Tip: Rooms are not standardized so you may wish to see another room if you are not happy with the one the...
3 Thank 138Eddie_D_123
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your encouraging comments concerning your recent stay with us. It is our priority to ensure the satisfaction and comfort of each and every guest we welcome in our little paradise.

Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our food, spa and activities, and that Maroma’s beach is at the top of your favorites list.

I will be sharing your comments with the rest of our Belmond Maroma family who will be happy to learn how awesomely you have spent your holiday with us.

Until next time… all the best to you and your wife.

Saludos,

Manhattan Beach, CA
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and loved every minute of it. They go above and beyond in service. As soon as our car pulled up we were greeted with a cocktail and taken straight to our room. Loved how they do the check-in process in your room while you drink your cocktail. This immediately set the tone for a relaxing and fun vacation. The rooms are fabulous... we had a second floor ocean front room and from the private balcony with hammock, the extremely comfortable beds to the deliciously smelling bath soaps they don't miss a detail. The staff is great, the private beach is beautiful, fantastic cocktails, great spa services and really good food this place make a fabulous vacation spot. Thank you for making our honeymoon special!

Room Tip: ocean front room are amazing
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time for sharing your kind comments of your recent experience with us.

It is a true pleasure being part of your special moment and the beginning of this chapter of your life.

On behalf of the Maroma family I would like to thank you for visit our beautiful property; we're really looking forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future in our little Paradise.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have been three times to Maroma, without doubt a truly stunning location, services and staff are excellent and rooms are perfect, however...

.. Im afraid it has lost its paradise brand as the adjacent hotels have gained in popularity - pumping out music at midday, and then the Jet skis and parasailing - a constant all day drone of Jets skis going up and down the Maroma beach particularly directly in front of the Hotel - with three Jet Skis house on the hotel property I presume the management actively encourage this? why?

From my experience no one from the Maroma uses the Skis, so why the hotel encourage this I don't know.

@ Maroma management - a solution would be an exclusion zone further out to sea.

My only other grumble was the young breakfast staff need training and continued to get the order wrong each and every day - the situation normally rescued by the charming and experienced Moeses.

All in all the Maroma is a truly unique hotel situated on one the best beaches in the world, which is now the product of its popularity - Freddies Bar and the hotel Spa - brilliant as always.

3 Thank RgePage
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Paradise has been lost to skis,

I would like to reiterate my gratitude for sharing your constructive input directly with me. Again, I regret to know that the water activities at the Marina did not allow you to fully enjoy this year's getaway to paradise.

As I mentioned in our previous correspondence, I will continue to look for alternatives to preserve the peace and quiet you deserve.

Concerning our wait staff, we will continue with and reinforce the training to ensure we are offering the personalized attention you have received in the past.

I only hope this situation does not keep you away from your home in the Mayan Caribbean and would look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!