“Gorgeous stay”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Myself and my husband travel quite a lot, and this is the first time I've been moved to write a Trip Advisor review. We came back from Belmond Maroma about a week ago. It was a wonderful trip and, more than anything, I was impressed by the hotel. We booked a Deluxe Ocean View room, and arrived after dark. Initially I was concerned that the ocean view was only from the terrace, and that it was quite a hike from the main building to get to the room. All those worries went away however the next morning. The room was private and beautiful. My husband loved that it was close to the gym, and I loved that it was steps from the gorgeous aquamarine sea with its sugar-sand beach. The staff also was so gracious and helpful. Through them, we really got a sense of the people and their pride in the hotel. Maybe my favorite touch is Dahlia, the lady who makes quesadillas in the lobby. Delicious with the spicy hot chocolate as well. The spa massages were wonderful too - Barbara was our therapist, and really a cut above. Our daughter was staying with friends at Tulum and came to stay with us for the last few nights. I told the manager and he moved us to the penthouse Master Suite at no extra charge. Lit by candles at night, it's a spectacular apartment with a view over the coast. We left feeling that Belmond Maroma is a place that tries extremely hard to go that extra mile. We'd go back in a flash.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms in the last building as they were private. Master Suites and Ocean Front suites a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Guest Lisa:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our TripAdvisor readers. I am happy to learn you had such a wonderful experience and enjoyed the unique style of Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, the incredible views of your accommodations and the warmth of our staff.

Dahlia is an iconic member of our family, I’ll share with her, Barbara and all our team your kind words.

We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future in our little paradise.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My wife and I have a love/hate relationship with Mexico.
We love the fact that we can get a 6:00AM flight out of town and land at the Cancun Airport at 10:30AM!
We hate the fact that Cancun/Playa del Carmen is so overrun with people. Even the nicest resorts have hundreds of rooms.
We have solved our problem and the solution is called Maroma!
Maroma is about 40 minutes south of Cancun and 15 minutes north of Playa del Carmen.
Maroma sets on a beautiful white sand beach that seems almost secluded because there are only two other resorts nearby.
Our room was very nice, very clean and room service was very attentive to all of our needs.
The food was very good. I would say it is northern Mexico/Mexico City cuisine.
Executive chefs Pablo and Edgar are world class...how does prawns wrapped in thin sliced plantains then grilled and served with cauliflower, cilantro and lime slaw and a hibiscus reduction sound? I can tell you. It was incredible! One final thought on the food. If all you eat is peanut butter and jelly or hamburgers or chicken noodle soup, that's ok too. It's all about what you want.
Finally, the staff was incredible. Everyone seemed happy and eager to please. Before our five day stay was up we were on a first names with many. Humberto, Johnny, Fernando, Victor, and Moses just to name a few.
Here's the bottom line. You don't have to lift a finger, you just have to ask. It's all about YOU!

Room Tip: We will request room 10 again!
6  Thank MerSoleil72
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay and for taking the time of sharing your review with our TripAdvisor readers.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and got a true authentic experience, with our seamless service full of delightful gastronomic flavors at our privileged location in the Riviera Maya.

Maroma Family looks forward to host you back in a near future in your new home in this privileged little piece of paradise.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This resort is beautiful. The staff is excellent. They are responsive to your every need. However, the upgrade they gave us was moldy and so was one of the two tv rooms. The food was very expensive, the portions were very small and it was not very good. For example, roast suckling pig (somewhere around $40) was pork shredded and put into the shape of a three inch square. The sauce was a drizzle on the plate. No vegetables or starch. We asked about the poussin which was offered and it was 1/2 a poussin! The pasta with lobster had plenty of lobster but the pasta was undercooked and rubbery. My husband ordered the spagetti bolognese and there was miniscule sauce. He asked and was given more but why didn't they put an adequate amount to begin with?
I think the resort has so much to be said for it, that if they would fix the food, it would be great.

Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank aureliaNewYorkCity
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with our TripAdvisor readers in regards your recent stay in Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa. It is with your feedback that we are able to constantly improve our service areas and our product, so as to preserve our little paradise for your enjoyment.

Know that I will be discussing your constructive input with our F&B management to review service protocols, with the intention of identifying those areas of opportunity which we need to focus on and thus provide you with the service and attention your deserve.

I sincerely hope your overall experience has been to your satisfaction, despite the issues mentioned, and do look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back some time in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I visited Maroma 14-15 years ago. We booked a list minute trip in February and returned a few weeks ago to celebrate our 20th anniversary in March. We enjoyed it overall.

Further background, we have traveled to just about every luxury hotel in the Caribbean. Including in the Cancun area: Esensia (multiple times), The Tides and Rosewood Mayakoba.

It was interesting to see how things have changed in 15 years. It has expanded but the main part of the hotel has changed very little (in a good way). Aside from some growth in the trees, it appeared to be in the same condition it was then. That is hard to do in such a harsh climate environment. The rooms are nice the grounds are very nice. It is a well kept property and it is one of the few boutique hotels in Cancun that has some semblance of authenticity and nod to local heritage. There is no fault there. The property itself is certainly on par with any other luxury Caribbean destination.

The first day, we did not like the location of our room. The staff was gracious in helping us get into something more private and more suited to what we wanted. Thank you!

So what is the problem(s)? Some of them are pet peeves and boil down to personal taste. Some are relative.

First, a pet peeve. I absolutely despise being hijacked with a 15% mandatory service fee. 10% doesn't excite me but I can live with it. I would rather be able to exercise my tipping discretion and, in the end, would tip more. This trend of ratcheting-up mandatory service fees is a cancer on the luxury vacation properties. I understand why it is done under the premise of convenience. But it is a fallacy to believe this is customer driven.

Second. For my personal taste, I found the service to be a bit over-bearing. There is a lot of staff at Maroma. A LOT. You could hardly walk through the property with having a dozen points of contact with someone. I know this sounds a little cruddy of me to say but after dozens of greetings a day it gets a bit tiring. A more substantial example, we ate dinner in the restaurant the first night and had so many interruptions asking "how things were" from three different people, that it was hard to hold a conversation. Half way through the dinner it actually became funny to us. Entertaining in a weird way, but not enough so to want to do it again. We ate dinner in our room the next two nights. If this type of service is your thing, great. For my personal taste, I think the hotel could dial back the conspicuousness of their service and create a better experience. Beach staff was great though.

Finally, on the topic of other costs. Food & Beverage, spa in particular I'm not sure exactly how to express this. As a caveat, I'm no foodie by a long shot. And although the food was good, it certainly wasn't spectacular. $95/person, for example, for grill night is a stretch. At the spa, my wife had a pressure point message for $200+ dollars. She was particularly disappointed, also happens to be Japanese and trained in Shiatsu in Japan. Not to be mean, but she thought it no better than what could be had at the local Massage Envy chain. Again, I'm not sure how to express this....it isn't about the actual dollars. $300/person at Masa is one thing but paying $95 for grill night and $200+ for an average massage made me feel like a schmuck.

And lastly, as an over-arching opinion. Maroma is nice, no doubt. And a lot of my gripes are colored by my preferences. On a relative basis, I'd rank Maroma #2 behind Esensia and well ahead of the Tides (the Viceroy I guess it is now named) or Rosewood Mayakoba.

But thinking of it in a larger regional perspective, I believe their are better options and more interesting destinations (importantly) than Maroma: Parrot Cay, Sandy Lane, Esperanza, Pink Sands, Goldeneye, Strawberry hill, etc... And though you may actually pay more (from a little to a lot more) at some of these, you'll get a lot more than at Maroma and a more interesting destination.

Would I be back? I don't know. Maybe.

10  Thank Relaxed920
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest:

We constantly aim to exceed our guests’ expectations and I was most disappointed to learn that your recent visit to Maroma was not what you expected according to the various issues mentioned in your letter. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and have arranged to discuss your comments with my team in order to address each one of them without delay.

In addition to guiding our staff development, my priority is to regain your trust and support. Should you have occasion to return to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, please allow me to coordinate your visit, to enable us to demonstrate our commitment to provide you with the service and attention you deserve.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel is a real gem. It is small by most standards, about 65 rooms, and very intimate. By weeks end most of the hotel employees knew us by name (It seems the policy of management for the staff to learn the guests names)
The food was excellent and varied and we felt no need to leave the property for a different dining experience. Only minor complaint is that some of the rooms are very small. When confronted with this issue management was quick to resolve our concern with a different room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Stuart B

Dear Stuart:

I truly appreciate the time you took to write and share your comments concerning your recent stay in Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa. Our Maroma family works so hard every day looking for ways to improve our day to day efforts of providing quality personalized service and pampering attentions and they will be happy to hear how much you enjoyed your vacation.

We are glad to learn that you experienced Maroma special uniqueness where no two rooms are alike and that you were provided with the room type of your preference. We look forward to have the pleasure of welcome you back to this your paradise home away from home.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We would love to give Maroma Resort 5 stars. We really would. It is spectacularly beautiful, small and friendly, has beautiful spacious rooms, wonderful dining, a gorgeous beach of soft, white sand, and perhaps the most attentive and helpful service of any resort we’ve visited. We remembered, from our last visit some 7 years ago, the calm quiet of vegging out on the beach with a good book, sipping a pina colada. Even the beach club next to the south end of the resort didn’t have much effect on the quietude and relaxation. And then came the jet skis. Most originate at the huge all-inclusive Secrets Maroma Beach (ugh!), around half a mile up the beach. They speed back and forth the entire length of Maroma Resort’s beach, just 30 or 40 yards from shore, befouling the quiet with their incessant noise. And Maroma Resort is not without some fault, for it keeps 3 of these infernal machines at its watersports shack. I don’t think any guests used any of them while we were there, but there seemed to be one resort employee driving one around to and from the beach. I know there’s nothing they can do about it – the ocean’s open to everyone – but it will be a consideration when we think about returning. Even with the jet skis, the spectacular service almost convinced us to rate Maroma 5 stars. Almost.

2  Thank eastsiders
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay in Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa. Nothing is more satisfying than to learn we have met our valued guests' expectations.

We will continue offering nothing but outstanding food, the best beach and the warmest top notch staff you will ever meet.

Concerning the issue of the jet skis, we are working on ways to reduce any annoyance to our guests cause by these activities. Your understanding and patience is very much appreciated.
Happy to learn that the despite the incident mentioned, you have enjoyed your stay with us and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our little paradise in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just returned from a 5 night trip and cannot say enough about this place. Absolutely terrific....we were picked up by the hotel on Friday and left on Wednesday morning having never left the resort!! Note: We are not normally like that..we are doers but other than a morning workout in the fitness center and 1 great snorkel trip we never needed more than we had! This place knows what they're doing and they do it right.We will be back.

2  Thank mindyweigel

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa with the traveler community of TripAdvisor. It is a real pleasure to host and delight our guests with the smallest gestures that make each of their moments meaningful and memorable.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed every minute of your stay and you found in Maroma a perfect getaway place to return.

Looking forward to welcome you back to our little paradise in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#3 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!