“A delight for the senses”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, DC
“A delight for the senses”
Reviewed 23 December 2009

If you are accustomed to paying for low key luxury, you will enjoy Maroma. It is a beautiful intimate resort that tries to please every one of your senses and usually succeeds. The staff is exceptionally helpful without being the least bit unctuous. The grounds, beach and ocean are exquisite. The food, while very good, gets a bit repetitive if your stay is more than 4 days. We would have taken more advantage of the beautiful spa if was a bit less costly, but the workout room was spacious, comfortable, well equipped and complimentary. A lovely, quiet place to relax with someone you love.

1 Thank atispo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
New York, NY
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Let me preface this by saying that we travel somewhat often and always to 5 star hotels / resorts. However, after being a member and reader on this site for a few years, this is the first time I have felt the need to post a review because our stay was simply something we have not experienced anywhere else.

My wife and I just returned from our 1st trip to Maroma and WOW, what an experience. I planned this trip months ago at the suggestion of our travel agent. I planned the trip as a surprise for my wife for our first anniversary, only telling her she needed bathing suits and a passport. While taken aback at first flying into Cancun (brought back memories of different times?), she quickly forgot those as the Maroma staff met us at the airport and quickly whisked us away in a private black Suburban with cool water and air conditioning waiting for us. The majority of the 30 - 45 minute drive is simply a long highway. You then take a turn down an unmarked entrance which brings you down a long, jungle road which only has room for 1 car. This part takes about 10 minutes to finally enter the Maroma main gate (after passing through a primary gate) at which point you feel like you have entered a different world.

Upon arrival there are a number of staff members there to greet you. They greet you by name when you get out of the car and immediately hand you some delicious Margarita Maroma (what better way to start your stay)? A staff member then takes you on a tour of the hotel while your bags are brought to your room.

The grounds are, to say the least, amazing. Every detail has been thought out and carefully constructed and maintained. This is by no means some super modern, clean lines type of hotel that some expect from a place that has this cost associated. Instead, it is a very warm hotel that immediately makes you feel like you are home. For only being 65 rooms, it feels larger than some resorts I have been at such as the Four Seasons Maui. This is because Maroma is filled with winding paths through tropical landscapes. Simply walking the grounds is an amazingly relaxing experience.

Our room was a junior suite at the end of the hotel. This was perfect for us as there was a wedding going on towards the main building and this allowed us more privacy and quiet to enjoy our trip. We woke up every morning to coffee, tea and delicious hot chocolate waiting for us on our patio as well as the mornings newspaper (well usually, this did not show up everyday). After our morning get me up we would either eat breakfast at Cilantro behind our room (if we wanted to be healthy that day) or stroll down the beach to El Sol. Both options are delicious, however very similar in fare. Cilantro simply offers healthier versions of what El Sol serves.

The food was very good, though I can see how after a week we started to tire of it a little bit. The BBQ on our first night was different than is typically served, but we were enjoying hanging out with Freddy a the bar and tasting tequila to realize it...

The staff at Maroma is something on another level. After the first day everyone we came across referred to us by name. They also figured out my wife was fluent in Spanish and she enjoyed conversing with everyone as such. They really go out of their way to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible and try to tend to every need you can imagine. From the hospitality staff to the F&B staff to the spa attendants. At no point was anyone ever anything beyond extremely helpful and nice (and genuine too!).

The hospitality office had helped me arrange a few special treats for us during our stay. The first was a Muyil Float and Forest tour which came highly recommended above the others, and I must say it was quite an experience. Except for the mosquitoes that is... Our guide was amazing and extremely knowledgeable about the Mayan culture and the tour itself is simply out of this world. Floating down a natural canal taken by the current, in fresh water for over an hour while it gently takes you around curves was amazing. You are surrounded by mangroves and little fish and you truly feel like you have entered into another era. The private tour also included a snack and a lunch which were both delicious and served by a waitstaff at a table that they set up for you... my only recommendation is to bring long pants / shirt and some bug spray for the hiking portion or suffer the wrath of the mosquitoes.

Gabriela also helped me set up a special anniversary dinner on the beach which was simply stunning (I would post pictures but they are on my other computer). If you are looking to have a romantic dinner, there is nothing better than this option. They set up a private table on the beach in front of the main building and have a sand "carpet" laid out for you. You are surrounded by tiki torches and candles and the night sky. It was truly a special moment and almost brought my wife to tears when she saw it.

The beach is another gem of this hotel. It is simply magnificent. Pure white sand (which is cleaned daily by the staff as they rake up any seaweed from the tides), warm water in shades of blue and green and crystal clear. The beach beds are absolutely fantastic and the beach side service for drinks and food is just as good as at the restaurants. They have a delicious beach side menu of ceviche and nachos among other things (those were our favorites). The snorkeling trip was fun as well and worth going out.

We also enjoyed the spa a bit. The staff was amazingly helpful in helping us choose our treatments and the couples room was fantastic. It was very relaxing and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. The rest of the is very beautiful as well.

At night however is when Maroma really shines (pardon the pun). They lay out countless candles along all of the paths on the property. It really sets quite a mood when you are heading to dinner or just relaxing. They also set candles out on the beach so that you can relax on a beach bed or chair as well. The lighting is so perfect on the property that you can tell a lot of thought went into it. Even though the hotel was about 50% occupied, we still felt as though we were the only ones there because the size of the property.

Finally, what can I say about Freddy? We loved hanging out with him at Freddy's Bar and trying the tequilas, margaritas and other concoctions he gave to us. It certainly gave us a little bit of that fun we were looking for.

Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel to the discerning traveler. However, one must remember that this is a hotel meant for relaxing, not partying (if you want that, go to Secrets next door). There are no TVs for entertainment and people are typically in their rooms by 10pm (i.e. no partying). However, we both enjoyed being able to hang out in the hammock on our patio with the sound of the waves reading books and enjoying each others company. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

5 Thank pinkysmallz
PRelationsM, Regional Managing Director Mexico at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2009
Thank you for taking the time share your comments concerning your recent stay in Maroma Resort & Spa. I appreciate and encourage feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to make of Maroma that special haven you so much enjoyed.

I am glad to know that the incident involving the lack of information on behalf of our hospitality staff did not totally ruin your tour. I have discussed this with my Hospitality Manager, Edgar Niebla, to ensure procedures are reinforced and information is provided in its totality so that next time neither you nor any other guest misses out on the extras of each tour.

Know that I will gladly share your kind words with the rest of our Maroma Family, especially with Gabriela and give Freddie your love.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you both back in the near future, to this your paradise home away from home.

Chicago
Reviewed 9 December 2009

My wife and I just got back from our 2nd stay at Maroma (last visit was 2yrs ago). Our stay could not have been more perfect. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is excellent and the food/drinks exceed expectations. The guests consist of mostly couples, as Maroma is a very romantic setting. We spent most of our time either relaxing on the "beds" which are all along Maroma's beach, or lounging in the hammock which is on the porch of every guest room. I cannot stress enough how helpful and friendly is the staff at Maroma. By day 2, they know you by name. The staff arranged for us to take a cab into Playa Del Carmen for a few hours one day, and also arranged a tour of the nearby Mayan city of Tulum. Other than that, we had no desire to leave the grounds. Maroma has its own dive shop on the beach. We went snorkeling one day at the reef which is just off of Maroma's beach. On our last visit, we had really enjoyed our room location, so we requested the same room once again. Of course, our request was met. On the last night, I asked the hospitality staff if there was any chance of trying a similar room but in a different location of the hotel, just to try it out. Not only did they grant our request, but the manager at the time moved us into an upgraded room right on the beach. And that is what Maroma is all about...service which exceeds expectations. The spa is first class and all about relaxation. My wife took a Yoga class there a few times during our stay. We have friends that have visited Maroma on our recommendation, and they were extremely happy with their stay. We will definitely return to Maroma.

4 Thank pax671
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2009

The hotel was immaculate with a very nice beach. The service was also quite good. At the time we went, there were not very many other guests at the hotel, so it was the perfect spot for a nice romantic getaway.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jtmidge
Washington, DC
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Maroma, though not as much as our subsequent visit to the Banyan Tree. The two are very different resorts but on balance we preferred the latter. Here are what we considered the pros and cons of the Maroma:

Pros: The resort grounds are beautiful and filled with lots of nice touches, not the least of which are the candles on the walkways at night. The small number of rooms and very high staff to guest ratio make for a intimate and well-attended experience. The staff is wonderful and friendly. The waitstaff and meals were also exceptional. The rooms are only steps from the beautiful beach. The workout facility has good equipment and was spacious for a resort of this size.

And now the cons: The services and amenitites at the Maroma were quite expensive, particularly in relation to other resorts at which we've stayed in the area. A visit to their spa ended up costing almost as much as our room for the entire stay. The rooms were somewhat dated and generally not up to the level of a five star hotel. A knob in our shower, for example, kept falling off during our stay (others have had similar experiences based on the reviews) and the front plate to the safe broke off. Also, the air conditioning was supplied by a noisy wall unit. None of which was anything more than mild disappointment in what was otherwise a wonderful experience; rather, the cons are examples of some things that were unexpected given the cost and category of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wdcmpj
PRelationsM, Regional Managing Director Mexico at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2009
Dear Guest,

Your feedback is important, as this allows us to take immediate action in the areas of opportunity with the intention of constantly improving our services. I am pleased to know you have enjoyed our staffs’ exceptional service, our special touches in each detail and most important, the great location of our rooms which are only steps away from the most beautiful beach providing our guests the comfort of closing off all the services.

I have taken special interest and attention to your comments made as far as “Cons” and have addressed each of these items with the areas involved to ensure immediate and corrective measures are taken and avoid these from repeating in the future.

Definitely, as you mentioned Maroma Resort and Spa and Banyan Tree are two properties totally different in concepts, size of the resort, architecture, cuisine and the proximity with the beach, among others, but both properties provide excellent services and facilities.

Despite the above, I truly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to this your paradise home away from home and show you how we've improved to best serve you.

Looking forward to receiving you.

New York City
Reviewed 1 December 2009

As a frequent traveler to Mexico, Maroma resort is the most authentically Mexican and yet, luxurious hotel that I have been to in the country. My husband and I just returned from a 5 day trip to Riviera Maya where we stayed at the Maroma resort.
The rooms were positively gorgeous and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The entire staff speaks English very well, but they entertained our broken Spanish.
The beach is absolutely beautiful and the ocean was like a turquoise bubble bath. We reclined on the well-equipped (towels, umbrella and comfortable cushions) beds on the beach every day. And each day, Daniel was there to bring us beverages and food all day long.
I’m a huge spa fan and the Kinan Spa at Maroma is really one of the best spas that I have ever been to. In addition to the grounds of the spa being completely beautiful the treatments are all incredibly well-done and begin with a ceremonial washing of your feet, which feels terrific. Every day I took the morning yoga class at the spa, which alleviated all sense of guilt from enjoying the deliciously prepared fare at the restaurant.
Having just returned from our vacation, I eagerly await my return to this paradise in Mexico.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa with us and with other readers. I am pleased to hear that we exceed your expectations and you really were involved in the magic of our little paradise.
I will share your comments with the whole Maroma Family and especially with Daniel.
Your perception of our Kinan Spa is absolutely true, our professionals apply antique mayan techniques and local products in all our treatments, actually Maroma was awared as the Best Hotel Spa in Mexico, Central and South America in 2008 and the fifth hotel Spa in the world by travel & leisure.

It will be an honor to welcome you in the future.

Michigan
Reviewed 27 November 2009

We travelled to Maroma from November 8 -- 14, 2009 for our annual anniversary getaway trip without our children. Like many, my wife and I find a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton to be dependable, but also predictable. We have very discerning taste and really seek out hotels that execute a notch better than the "standard" for excellence that a high-end chain like Four Seasons typically sets. We find that most often the smaller, quaint boutique hotels can cater to this better because there are less guests, giving these properties more latitude to individualize the service and enhance your vacation experience.

Toward this end, I must say that Maroma qualifies as an absolute "jewel box." This place is a find!

Prior to departing on our trip, Maroma sent us an email with various questions in an effort to elicit our likes and preferences, ahead of time, so that upon arrival they already know how you want your in-room bar stocked, which choice of newspaper you prefer to receive each morning, how you take your coffee (or substitute if desired) that is delivered to your room everyday before you wake up, etc., etc., etc., -- all in an effort to diminish the "getting to know you" part, and instead make you feel like you have returned home to your regular staff that has already "got it."

When you arrive at the airport, a representative of Maroma greets you outside baggage claim and escorts you to a new Suburban SUV, complete with bottled water and fragrant towels to cool off with, which then takes you to the resort down a surprisingly quick, "smooth" divided highway getting you there in about 25 minutes. While you pass other resorts having huge grand entrances along the way, Maroma's entrance is, by design, discreet and looks more like a gate to someone's estate. It is no wonder that the several celebrities that frequent Maroma on a repeat basis love this place. Indeed, you pass through the gate and proceed down a dirt path for quite some distance before the resort finally appears in front of you.

With only 66 rooms, you arrive at the manor house (you really do feel like it is an estate, not a hotel) and are greeted by name, with a cocktail waiting, as if they already know you. Indeed, you are truly treated like you are the only guests arriving that day/time. You actually check-in inside your room, following a personal escort through the property getting you familiar with the amenities and setting the mood.

What we admire about Maroma (which is distinctly true about other Orient-Express properties, too) is that there is nothing cookie-cutter about it. The buildings' architecture and mahogany materials and bamboo/thatch ceilings remain, intentionally, indigenous to its Caribbean setting so you feel immersed in this tropical oasis. We don't travel all the way to the tropics only to arrive at some place that looks and feels like you're really still only in south Florida. Indeed, we looked at the Myakoba resort nearby with its Rosewood, Banyan Tree and Fairmont hotels within it, and while its glitzy, ultra-modern architecture would really appeal to us if we were enjoying a California coastal vacation, it most definitely does not appeal to us when visiting the tropics. You don't travel to Italy to eat hot dogs. I cant' tell you how sterile it feels to sit at a beach bar in a Caribbean resort that has poured-concrete columns, a granite countertop and a standing-seam aluminum roof to it (Four Seasons, if you can believe that -- both in Nevis and in Great Exuma, Bahamas)! Maroma, on the other hand, is exactly how a beach bar should be in a Caribbean environment -- twisted bamboo tree columns, with a varnished, solid wood countertop and a bamboo and thatch roof with a clever glass window at its peak filtering light in. Oh yes, and complete with upscale higher-end and higher-maintenance furnishings and cloth rather than paper napkins, creature comforts that remind you that you are staying at "the best."

The indigenous ambience of Maroma by day gets even better at night time. This is the only Caribbean resort we have been to where you actually don't care if you are eating outside or inside -- the atmosphere inside (both) restaurants' indoor areas are so atmospheric with the stone floors, wood ceilings, indirect lighting and largely-open-to-the-outdoors windows, anyway, is just as much fun as sitting outside on the terrace right on the beach with the ocean literally steps away. It's that nice. The same applies to the bar/lounge area where you enjoy drinks before or after dinner (although the beach bar is open, too, at night and offers a splendidly contrasting atmosphere compared to day time, as well).

But the real treat at night time is walking from your room to the main building -- and seeing literally 1500 candles lining the stone walkways to, and then throughout the interior of, the main building. All set out and lit, by hand, each and every night. They even light lanterns on the umbrella tables alongside the beach lounges up and down the beach, just to complete the look. I mean, this place is nothing short of "dreamy" at night. It's almost indescribable.

They even light candles in your room at turndown, which no other hotel has done for us. Very romantic setting. One of the candles comes with aromatherapy oils that you select before leaving for dinner, and then the maid pours it in the special dish that gets heated by the candle she lights underneath, which then disperses the fragrance throughout your room which you enjoy upon returning to your room at the end of your evening. One evening I requested the romantic turndown, and we came back to a flower pedal design on the bed, and a bubble bath drawn with candles lit around the tub and flower pedals strewn around the candles and throughout the water. Well done.

Lastly, the service. Unmatched, says it all. Can't read the menu in the candlelight? Before you lift your head a waiter (who all know you by name) anticipates your problem and hands you a menu flashlight, which he attaches to the top of your menu before you can say a word. I mean they anticipate, rather than react to, your preferences. Their execution is impressive. Even on the beach, they operate a second service bar for the beach waiters so that you never have to wait for him to walk all the way back to the main bar to retrieve what you're looking for (like happens at so many other beach resorts). They will even serve lunch right to your beach lounger -- complete with silverware and cloth napkins and real glassware (not plastic). It's not inconvenient to them; they're properly setup with special beach trays etc. so that it is as easy for them to set you up as it is for you to eat without disrupting everything else you have with you. It's a neat experience eating on the beach some days as an alternative to the terrace -- because they execute it in such a no-hassle manner.

Compared to other Caribbean destinations, we must say that the service that Maroma delivers is striking. We say this because even the nicest resorts elsewhere in the Caribbean still have to rely on the island natives to carry off the service, and they are so often either friendly but slow and impossible to train to high enough standards, or worse, act disinterested on top of it all. The Maroma family in contrast is a "well-oiled machine," with staff that has been there for a long time, and really, truly cares. They have just delightful personalities and enthusiasm for their profession. And it shows.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Yachtsman82
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa with us and with other readers. I sincerely appreciate your detailed Mexican experience in our little paradise, I'm sure this will be of great help for other readers to get a better idea of how wonderful their experience can be in Maroma Resort and Spa.

I will of course share your kind and inspiring words with the rest of our Maroma Family and look forward to welcoming you back to this your paradise home away from home to celebrate your next anniversary.

Maroma Resort and Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,983 reviews

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!