“It was magic - and there were coatis!”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I was looking for a special place for my wife and I for our honeymoon - Maroma turned my dream into a reality. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the moment we left - it was perfect.

It's not as big as a number of other places - which is just what we wanted. While we saw other guests - for the most part we felt it was our own little paradise. It was easy to find a place without anyone else around.

The beach was perfect. A hardworking and dedicated staff keeps the beach picture perfect. During the day you can see staff members raking up the seaweed. The beach does not get big waves - so it's very easy to swim in.

The staff kept on going above and beyond on a daily basis. Ask for a drink - done; set up a morning snorkeling trip - done; take a trip to Tulum with a driver and expert guide - done. At every meal the servers greeted us by name.

The spa was amazing. It is a true gem. I had five massages - they were all great. They were very professional.

One thing that may have been overlooked by others – the wonderful resident coatis! These very cute and harmless animals (something between a lemur and a raccoon) can sometimes be seen off some of the pathways and at Cilantros (one of Maroma’s restaurants) in the morning. My wife was taken by surprise when she saw one during breakfast but then fell in love.

A few thoughts:

This place is great - but you are paying for that perfection. If you are on a budget - this might not be the best place.

This is a perfect place for honeymoons, anniversaries, etc. That said - I would not recommend it for people looking for late night parties or nightlife. Maroma is a place of peace and quiet - a place to listen to the sound of the ocean. This is a place to decompress. Also - Playa del Carmen is a good 20-30 minutes away.

This is also not a place for people who need their daily TV fix. While Maroma has two TV rooms with a good selection of DVDs - the rooms don't have TVs.

I know that we will definitely come back for an anniversary trip!

3  Thank NY72
PRelationsM, Regional Managing Director Mexico at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2010

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa with us and with other readers. The privilege location of Maroma complements the natural harmony and the relationship between land and sea, where every delight offers to our guest a truly authentic Mexican vacation filled of romance, peace, quiet and luxury at the same time. Definitely the fauna of this place such as the coatis and other animals make of Maroma a natural paradise.

Looking forward to host you in a near future

Best Regards from sunny Maroma.

Regional Managing Director Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 23 December 2009

If you are accustomed to paying for low key luxury, you will enjoy Maroma. It is a beautiful intimate resort that tries to please every one of your senses and usually succeeds. The staff is exceptionally helpful without being the least bit unctuous. The grounds, beach and ocean are exquisite. The food, while very good, gets a bit repetitive if your stay is more than 4 days. We would have taken more advantage of the beautiful spa if was a bit less costly, but the workout room was spacious, comfortable, well equipped and complimentary. A lovely, quiet place to relax with someone you love.

1  Thank atispo
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Let me preface this by saying that we travel somewhat often and always to 5 star hotels / resorts. However, after being a member and reader on this site for a few years, this is the first time I have felt the need to post a review because our stay was simply something we have not experienced anywhere else.

My wife and I just returned from our 1st trip to Maroma and WOW, what an experience. I planned this trip months ago at the suggestion of our travel agent. I planned the trip as a surprise for my wife for our first anniversary, only telling her she needed bathing suits and a passport. While taken aback at first flying into Cancun (brought back memories of different times?), she quickly forgot those as the Maroma staff met us at the airport and quickly whisked us away in a private black Suburban with cool water and air conditioning waiting for us. The majority of the 30 - 45 minute drive is simply a long highway. You then take a turn down an unmarked entrance which brings you down a long, jungle road which only has room for 1 car. This part takes about 10 minutes to finally enter the Maroma main gate (after passing through a primary gate) at which point you feel like you have entered a different world.

Upon arrival there are a number of staff members there to greet you. They greet you by name when you get out of the car and immediately hand you some delicious Margarita Maroma (what better way to start your stay)? A staff member then takes you on a tour of the hotel while your bags are brought to your room.

The grounds are, to say the least, amazing. Every detail has been thought out and carefully constructed and maintained. This is by no means some super modern, clean lines type of hotel that some expect from a place that has this cost associated. Instead, it is a very warm hotel that immediately makes you feel like you are home. For only being 65 rooms, it feels larger than some resorts I have been at such as the Four Seasons Maui. This is because Maroma is filled with winding paths through tropical landscapes. Simply walking the grounds is an amazingly relaxing experience.

Our room was a junior suite at the end of the hotel. This was perfect for us as there was a wedding going on towards the main building and this allowed us more privacy and quiet to enjoy our trip. We woke up every morning to coffee, tea and delicious hot chocolate waiting for us on our patio as well as the mornings newspaper (well usually, this did not show up everyday). After our morning get me up we would either eat breakfast at Cilantro behind our room (if we wanted to be healthy that day) or stroll down the beach to El Sol. Both options are delicious, however very similar in fare. Cilantro simply offers healthier versions of what El Sol serves.

The food was very good, though I can see how after a week we started to tire of it a little bit. The BBQ on our first night was different than is typically served, but we were enjoying hanging out with Freddy a the bar and tasting tequila to realize it...

The staff at Maroma is something on another level. After the first day everyone we came across referred to us by name. They also figured out my wife was fluent in Spanish and she enjoyed conversing with everyone as such. They really go out of their way to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible and try to tend to every need you can imagine. From the hospitality staff to the F&B staff to the spa attendants. At no point was anyone ever anything beyond extremely helpful and nice (and genuine too!).

The hospitality office had helped me arrange a few special treats for us during our stay. The first was a Muyil Float and Forest tour which came highly recommended above the others, and I must say it was quite an experience. Except for the mosquitoes that is... Our guide was amazing and extremely knowledgeable about the Mayan culture and the tour itself is simply out of this world. Floating down a natural canal taken by the current, in fresh water for over an hour while it gently takes you around curves was amazing. You are surrounded by mangroves and little fish and you truly feel like you have entered into another era. The private tour also included a snack and a lunch which were both delicious and served by a waitstaff at a table that they set up for you... my only recommendation is to bring long pants / shirt and some bug spray for the hiking portion or suffer the wrath of the mosquitoes.

Gabriela also helped me set up a special anniversary dinner on the beach which was simply stunning (I would post pictures but they are on my other computer). If you are looking to have a romantic dinner, there is nothing better than this option. They set up a private table on the beach in front of the main building and have a sand "carpet" laid out for you. You are surrounded by tiki torches and candles and the night sky. It was truly a special moment and almost brought my wife to tears when she saw it.

The beach is another gem of this hotel. It is simply magnificent. Pure white sand (which is cleaned daily by the staff as they rake up any seaweed from the tides), warm water in shades of blue and green and crystal clear. The beach beds are absolutely fantastic and the beach side service for drinks and food is just as good as at the restaurants. They have a delicious beach side menu of ceviche and nachos among other things (those were our favorites). The snorkeling trip was fun as well and worth going out.

We also enjoyed the spa a bit. The staff was amazingly helpful in helping us choose our treatments and the couples room was fantastic. It was very relaxing and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. The rest of the is very beautiful as well.

At night however is when Maroma really shines (pardon the pun). They lay out countless candles along all of the paths on the property. It really sets quite a mood when you are heading to dinner or just relaxing. They also set candles out on the beach so that you can relax on a beach bed or chair as well. The lighting is so perfect on the property that you can tell a lot of thought went into it. Even though the hotel was about 50% occupied, we still felt as though we were the only ones there because the size of the property.

Finally, what can I say about Freddy? We loved hanging out with him at Freddy's Bar and trying the tequilas, margaritas and other concoctions he gave to us. It certainly gave us a little bit of that fun we were looking for.

Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel to the discerning traveler. However, one must remember that this is a hotel meant for relaxing, not partying (if you want that, go to Secrets next door). There are no TVs for entertainment and people are typically in their rooms by 10pm (i.e. no partying). However, we both enjoyed being able to hang out in the hammock on our patio with the sound of the waves reading books and enjoying each others company. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

5  Thank pinkysmallz
PRelationsM, Regional Managing Director Mexico at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2009

Thank you for taking the time share your comments concerning your recent stay in Maroma Resort & Spa. I appreciate and encourage feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to make of Maroma that special haven you so much enjoyed.

I am glad to know that the incident involving the lack of information on behalf of our hospitality staff did not totally ruin your tour. I have discussed this with my Hospitality Manager, Edgar Niebla, to ensure procedures are reinforced and information is provided in its totality so that next time neither you nor any other guest misses out on the extras of each tour.

Know that I will gladly share your kind words with the rest of our Maroma Family, especially with Gabriela and give Freddie your love.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you both back in the near future, to this your paradise home away from home.

Reviewed 9 December 2009

My wife and I just got back from our 2nd stay at Maroma (last visit was 2yrs ago). Our stay could not have been more perfect. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is excellent and the food/drinks exceed expectations. The guests consist of mostly couples, as Maroma is a very romantic setting. We spent most of our time either relaxing on the "beds" which are all along Maroma's beach, or lounging in the hammock which is on the porch of every guest room. I cannot stress enough how helpful and friendly is the staff at Maroma. By day 2, they know you by name. The staff arranged for us to take a cab into Playa Del Carmen for a few hours one day, and also arranged a tour of the nearby Mayan city of Tulum. Other than that, we had no desire to leave the grounds. Maroma has its own dive shop on the beach. We went snorkeling one day at the reef which is just off of Maroma's beach. On our last visit, we had really enjoyed our room location, so we requested the same room once again. Of course, our request was met. On the last night, I asked the hospitality staff if there was any chance of trying a similar room but in a different location of the hotel, just to try it out. Not only did they grant our request, but the manager at the time moved us into an upgraded room right on the beach. And that is what Maroma is all about...service which exceeds expectations. The spa is first class and all about relaxation. My wife took a Yoga class there a few times during our stay. We have friends that have visited Maroma on our recommendation, and they were extremely happy with their stay. We will definitely return to Maroma.

4  Thank pax671
Reviewed 7 December 2009

The hotel was immaculate with a very nice beach. The service was also quite good. At the time we went, there were not very many other guests at the hotel, so it was the perfect spot for a nice romantic getaway.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MidgeOnTheGo
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Maroma, though not as much as our subsequent visit to the Banyan Tree. The two are very different resorts but on balance we preferred the latter. Here are what we considered the pros and cons of the Maroma:

Pros: The resort grounds are beautiful and filled with lots of nice touches, not the least of which are the candles on the walkways at night. The small number of rooms and very high staff to guest ratio make for a intimate and well-attended experience. The staff is wonderful and friendly. The waitstaff and meals were also exceptional. The rooms are only steps from the beautiful beach. The workout facility has good equipment and was spacious for a resort of this size.

And now the cons: The services and amenitites at the Maroma were quite expensive, particularly in relation to other resorts at which we've stayed in the area. A visit to their spa ended up costing almost as much as our room for the entire stay. The rooms were somewhat dated and generally not up to the level of a five star hotel. A knob in our shower, for example, kept falling off during our stay (others have had similar experiences based on the reviews) and the front plate to the safe broke off. Also, the air conditioning was supplied by a noisy wall unit. None of which was anything more than mild disappointment in what was otherwise a wonderful experience; rather, the cons are examples of some things that were unexpected given the cost and category of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wdcmpj
PRelationsM, Regional Managing Director Mexico at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is important, as this allows us to take immediate action in the areas of opportunity with the intention of constantly improving our services. I am pleased to know you have enjoyed our staffs’ exceptional service, our special touches in each detail and most important, the great location of our rooms which are only steps away from the most beautiful beach providing our guests the comfort of closing off all the services.

I have taken special interest and attention to your comments made as far as “Cons” and have addressed each of these items with the areas involved to ensure immediate and corrective measures are taken and avoid these from repeating in the future.

Definitely, as you mentioned Maroma Resort and Spa and Banyan Tree are two properties totally different in concepts, size of the resort, architecture, cuisine and the proximity with the beach, among others, but both properties provide excellent services and facilities.

Despite the above, I truly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to this your paradise home away from home and show you how we've improved to best serve you.

Looking forward to receiving you.

Reviewed 1 December 2009

As a frequent traveler to Mexico, Maroma resort is the most authentically Mexican and yet, luxurious hotel that I have been to in the country. My husband and I just returned from a 5 day trip to Riviera Maya where we stayed at the Maroma resort.
The rooms were positively gorgeous and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The entire staff speaks English very well, but they entertained our broken Spanish.
The beach is absolutely beautiful and the ocean was like a turquoise bubble bath. We reclined on the well-equipped (towels, umbrella and comfortable cushions) beds on the beach every day. And each day, Daniel was there to bring us beverages and food all day long.
I’m a huge spa fan and the Kinan Spa at Maroma is really one of the best spas that I have ever been to. In addition to the grounds of the spa being completely beautiful the treatments are all incredibly well-done and begin with a ceremonial washing of your feet, which feels terrific. Every day I took the morning yoga class at the spa, which alleviated all sense of guilt from enjoying the deliciously prepared fare at the restaurant.
Having just returned from our vacation, I eagerly await my return to this paradise in Mexico.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa with us and with other readers. I am pleased to hear that we exceed your expectations and you really were involved in the magic of our little paradise.
I will share your comments with the whole Maroma Family and especially with Daniel.
Your perception of our Kinan Spa is absolutely true, our professionals apply antique mayan techniques and local products in all our treatments, actually Maroma was awared as the Best Hotel Spa in Mexico, Central and South America in 2008 and the fifth hotel Spa in the world by travel & leisure.

It will be an honor to welcome you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!