“Best hotel I've ever stayed at...”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 February 2010

This is undoubtedly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at. This is a special hotel where you would spend your anniversary or honeymoon, or even have your wedding there. This is a hotel you go to for complete relaxation, privacy and peace. In fact, there is not even a tv in the rooms.

Each room is unique, with each having their own balcony/patio, which includes a hammock. I spent much time relaxing on this hammock while listening to the sounds of the ocean.

The bed was extremely comfortable with a big fluffy comforter and mosquito netting (for a romantic look). The bathtub in my room was enormous and tiled with authentic Mexican tile. Even the toiletries were nice as they were all organic.

What I liked most about this hotel was the fact that they held onto old world Mexico decor. The grounds are amazing as they are kept as close to a natural state as possible. Native flowers and plants cover the entire property and I saw much local wildlife as well. There were also a few feral cats on the property. I was concerned that the hotel may have them euthanized so as not to bother customers, but when I questioned a staff member, he told me that they capture the cats, have them fixed and release them back to where they were found. I was very impressed with the humanity of this.

The service was impeccable. Room service arrived within 20 minutes from ordering and all of the staff was extremely attentive, kind and genuinely caring. I loved the tea/coffee and newspaper that was delivered to my balcony each morning, so that it was there when I woke up. The turn down service with aromatherapy was also a very comforting service awaiting my return to the room each night.

The beds on the beach were amazing! The beach near the hotel is immaculate as they have staff there to clean it on a daily basis, mainly keeping the seaweed minimal. The hotel does have pools, but the main attraction is the beach there.

Considering the room prices, this hotel probably does not cater to people on a budget. If you have the money this is the only hotel you should pick when staying in Riviera Maya.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank tx_sara
Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 1 February 2010

The resort is situated in a great area, close to Playa del Carmen. A little secluded. No nightlife whatsoever. The food is OK but expensive and lacks variety.
We stayed in a garden view room which was next to a nice pool that we had almost exclusively by ourselves. The room had problems (drainage in particular) but overall was very nice. The staff is very courteous and helpful.
This is a very expensive resort and probably closer to 4 rather than 5 stars.

Reviewed 28 January 2010

This IS the place!

We have traveled frequently to the Caribbean and Mexico over the years staying in some of the best places the region has to offer. No place surpasses Maroma for service, the facility,, the spa, food and beach.
We were so impressed by a hard working who understand it's all about the customer. The staff genuinely seemed to appreciate the beauty of the place and they liked they co-workers and jobs. We did not feel the tinge of resentment that one can sometimes experience. They were courteous and responsive and attentive without being intrusive. T

The beach is to die for. All the reviews of this beach being one of the best in the world were well deserved. The sand is very white and closer to talcum.

The compound is beautiful. Every night, the staff lights and lays out hundreds of candles to guide the path. The food and wine list were great. The chef changed the menu every night and the wine list was great.

The spa, was one of the, if not the best we've ever been to and we've been to a lot. We both had amazing massage therapists skilled in ancient Mayan ways. Make sure to try the dry and steam sauna followed by the plunge pool laced in scented flowers.

We'll absolutely go back as soon as we are able. Be prepared to bring your Amex cause you're going to need it. All great stuff!

1  Thank JDAMWFB
Reviewed 25 January 2010

The Maroma is a gorgeous property set in a very secluded area with a fantastic beach.
Any need that you had was graciously taken care of by the very friendly, efficient and competent staff. All of the staff from the beach boys to restaurant, bar and hospitality were extremely helpful and always acknowledged you by name and seemed genuinely happy to serve you. It was also nice that a service charge was included on all charges for food, beverages, etc so that you did not have to worry about tipping unless you felt like tipping someone for extra service which I did on numerous occasions. It is an extremely peaceful, quiet, relaxing resort. Although the food was very good at the resort restaurants you cannot get anywhere else unless you have a car or plan on taking taxi's.
The resort is more expensive than many in the area, however, I believe for the most part you get what you pay for, it did help that I paid substantially less than the going rate.

1  Thank longballs
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Its been a long time since I have been to a beach resort that really focuses on service. Yes it may be more expensive, but I never had to place a book on a beach bed to reserve it, I didn't have to flag anyone down for a drink or food, only once did we have to make a dinner reservation and that was at the super fancy restaurant.

I am amazed the grounds are kept in such pristine order, even after a rainstorm the paths are clear of debris. I found the spa to be lovely, especially for men.

Food was great! I haven't seen a Caribbean resort with such an extensive wine list in a long time. Service at all times in the restaurants was attentive and they could sense the pace you wanted to move and made everything happen according to your needs. Breakfast was complimentary with a large selection, not just toast and coffee but omelettes, pancakes, fresh squeezed juice, etc... The fresh guacamole is to die for. Drinks on the beach are such a nice treat, especially when coming from a cold place up north.

There were some special items we did on the trip which included a private tour to Coba, the tour guide was not only knowledgeable but taught us a great deal more about the ruins, the people and the Mayan culture as it is today. I recommend booking the spa ahead of time. The concierge was extremely attentive and responsive to requests within 24 hours of email. One of the highlights of the trip was a fun Tequila tasting class taught by Stephan. He is so much fun and I learned that tequila is much more than what I drank back in college. However, the most special item that I highly recommend is the wine tasting private dinner in the El Sol cellar. the menu was customized to our likes and dislikes and the chef prepared some very impressive dishes that went beyond our greatest expectations. In addition, Alex created the perfect pairings for the menu. The wine list is quite impressive and Maroma deserves to receive its 3 consecutive Wine Spectator award.

All in all, the staff is friendly, the food is great, the overall atmosphere is fun. If you are looking for the "it crowd" or a trendy spot, this isn't for you. If you want expansive beach, and just pure relaxation its worth every penny.

1  Thank Jasonh23NewYork
Reviewed 18 January 2010

As so many others have said in their reviews, we can’t say enough good things about the resort. The staff went above and beyond in all areas. . The restaurant staff were friendly, made great recommendations and were always prompt. Our water glasses were never half empty. The servers and bartenders at the pool were great.

The restaurants offer a great variety of well prepared food.
The beach is amazing. It is long and wide, and the sand never got hot. We never had a problem finding somewhere to get sun. There were plenty of palapas, as well as umbrellas by the pool.

Our experience at Maroma resort and spa exceeded our expectations but
the only bad thing is the rate !!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Maroma is a beautiful resort located on the Riviera Maya. It has won all sorts of awards and even been rated as the most romantic beach in the world by the Travel Channel. For these reasons, I wanted to stay at the resort. Even though the resort is quite pricey, I decided to go with this resort b/c it was "the best". My advice is the following, if money is of no object or concern, then you will be happy at this hotel. You will be charged $11 for a bottle of water at dinner and the food is extremely expensive and the spa services are overpriced. If you care in the least about your pocketbook, go somewhere else. You can visit the resort for lunch or dinner if you really want to see what it is all about. The hefty price tag is not worth the stay. Also, be wary of the "gifts" they give you in the hotel room. A bag of M&M's will cost you $8. We were given a tray of snacks as "gift" by one of the staff, later to find out that this was part of the "mini bar". The pricing sheet was located in the actual mini bar, so we didn't find out there was cost to these "gifts" until the end of our stay. My husband ended up eating half of a $15 chocolate bar.

16  Thank sunnybear2010
Maromamanagement, Managing Director at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me and with our Tripadvisor readers in regards to your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa. I encourage and appreciate feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to constantly improve our product and service.

I am sorry to learn that you felt deceived by the situation with the alleged gift, perhaps it was only a misunderstanding. Nevertheless, I will personally look into your comments as this is not a standard procedure, much less our idea of providing an upscale service. I will also follow up on this comment with our hospitality manager, as well as with our room service staff so as to reinforce this type of information with our guests upon checking into their rooms. In addition, we will review our price lists and compare with the other luxury properties to make sure we are offering our guests quality and value for their money.

I only hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve.

Best regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#5 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!