“Gem is more polishedWe”

GreenLeadersGold level
carefree az
“Gem is more polishedWe”
Reviewed 7 March 2010

We returned this year to find the amenities still excellent and the food just as good. Last year I wrote that this wonderful place needed at least one of its pools to be heated for cold days. Well we found that the main pool this year had water in the 90's which was great since the ocean was too cold to swim in and the weather was windy and overcast several days. Kudos to the management as we swam every day!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Marblehead, MA
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I researched Riviera Maya hotels quite a bit before booking Maroma. Still, I didn't know exactly what to expect. I hate the feeling of booking a very expensive hotel and ultimately being disappointed, which seems all too frequent. Happily, Maroma surpassed expectations in all areas. It has an intangible qualities which are hard to put into words in a review; it feels very exclusive but quietly so, very elegant in an old-world way, amazingly beautiful and truly classic with seamless service.

When you check in, it is all about you. They wisk your bags away, hand you a drink, and tour you around the property. The small amount of paperwork gets done once you arrive in your room, rather than standing in the lobby. We stayed in a garden-view room, which was lovely and charming but not luxurious. It had a sweet terrace overlooking a beautiful pool and gorgeous landscaping. Turn-down service happened every evening when we were at dinner, and was never a bother. Morning coffee service was like clockwork. Our room was close to the spa, which turned out to be a real advantage. We had breakfast each morning (included in room price) at Cilantro, the spa restaurant. It was a beautiful setting and delicious, healthy food. The spa itself was absolutely gorgeous, and even if you don't have any formal treatments, you can enjoy the relaxing steam room, sauna, and plunge pool-which are all easily accessible on a complimentary basis for all guests.

Food at El Restaurante was good, though service varied. Restaurant service seems to be the holy grail of the hotel world. It ranged from very good to somewhat indifferent. Perhaps that staff didn't get the same memo that everyone else did, because by and large the staff was amazing-friendly and helpful. The beach service is over the top, and the beach beds make you feel like royalty. They deliver your food on a tray to your beach bed, which is a very decadent experience.

The hotel is more spread out than I expected, but everything is within easy walking distance. Strolling over to the main building at night for dinner was one of the best parts of staying at Maroma. The paths are lined with hundred and hundreds of small candles, and it is hauntingly beautiful and very romantic. My husband and I marveled at the effort involved in doing this every night. It is just one of those touches that makes you feel that you are at a very special place. When you arrive at the main building, a wonderful group of Mexican musicians are playing in the gorgeous lobby.

Maroma is an expensive hotel, but it feels exclusive and pampering in a very elegant way. I highly recommend it for a relaxing and luxurious get-away.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Maromamanagement, Managing Director at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2010
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa with us and with other readers. I am pleased to learn that we have surpassed your expectations with our seamless service and that you enjoyed being pampered by our friendly staff. Comments such as yours truly uplift a person's spirit making our daily efforts to provide you with that personalized attention you deserve, worth it.

I noticed there were a couple of observations concerning our Restaurant service, please know that measures have been taken to improve this area of opportunity.

Maroma and the magical atmosphere as well as in its surroundings make this little piece of paradise the perfect getaway.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Chicago
Reviewed 6 March 2010

It is very rare that you'll find a place that hits every mark with perfection. The three ingredients I look at; 1) service 2) food 3) the setting The Maroma Resort will serve as my benchmark for perfection. I'm a 44y.o. male Chicagoan who has stayed at exclusive resorts thoughout Mexico/Thailand/Europe/and the USA. I doubt you can find better. This is the best. Period.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa with us and with other readers. Comments such as yours uplift the spirit and makes our daily efforts to provide you, our valued guests, with the service and personalized attention you deserve. There is nothing more rewarding than a satisfied guest.

On behalf of our Maroma family, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Westport, CT
Reviewed 2 March 2010

My husband booked this trip to celebrate a big birthday of mine. Our 16 year old son was with us. We have done some pretty deluxe traveling, and Maroma is the best resort I have been to in a long time. They accommodated our every desire: when we checked into our room there was no hammock on the terrace, so they put one in. On my birthday they weren't serving dinner outdoors because it was cold, so they lit a fire and served us dinner. When we didn't want to eat off the menu, they made us whatever we wanted. Nothing was a problem.

Our son was the only kid at the resort until another family showed up. What could have been awkward for him was made so comfortable by the friendliest staff on earth. We felt like we were leaving friends behind.

Our room was gorgeous, the food was good, the beach is perfect...the weather wasn't great but we were still unbelievably happy. I will remember this trip forever.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jll1960
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and with other readers, regarding your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa to celebrate your birthday. I am pleased to hear we've exceeded your expectations and that you, your husband and your son had the best time ever.

Believe me when I say that there is nothing more rewarding for us than to learn of a satisfied guest. I will gladly share your kind words with the rest of our Maroma family and friends.

Wishing you the best and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Arlington, VA
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I haven't actually arrived at Maroma but am writing to inform all of you of a very frustrating practice of the hotel, before I even got there.

I made my reservation on January 9, 2010, to visit Maroma Resort the third week of May. I paid my deposit (approximately $1500) on the day I made my reservation and I bought airline tickets. I just got a call from the hotel, informing me that the hotel just booked a wedding that has reserved the entire resort, and they asked me to change my dates, since the wedding party is going to basicaly be taking over the whole hotel.

I advisd them that changing dates is not an option. I booked my flights, and our work responsibilities have been taken care of, and I have lined up care for my 4 year old son so that my husband and I could travel for 4 days.

The hotel rep repeatedly asked me if I could change dates. When I said for the 5th time that changing dates was not an option, he told me he would look into alternate accomodations at another hotel in the area. Unfortunatley, he mentioned Rosewood Mayakoba, which I have already visited.

So, now I am stuck with plane tickets and no hotel. Let's face it... no one wants to go to a hotel where the entire facility, including beach, restaurant, all rooms, spa, is catering to one event. I am just so frustrated. I have never heard of something like this and the fact that the only thing he kept recomending was that I change my dates is unacceptable. I should get a full refund PLUS interest plus a very nice room in a comparable hotel plus perks for this hassle. I will never visit Maroma Resort....

So if you have a reservation with them, watch out. This could happen to you and all they will keep insisting to you is that you change your dates. How easy for them!

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Chaseferrari
maine
Reviewed 1 March 2010

My husband and myself have been coming to the area for 18 years but this was our first stay at Maroma Resort. We have stayed at many hotels in the 100 mile stretch between cancun and tulum.
It is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful beach. Really classy, awesome landscaping, gorgeous rooms and views, and very expensive. I have no problem with super expensive hotels, but I do expect certain levels of service for high room rates. These are my beefs.
1. I stayed for 4 nights and got turndown service on 1 out of 4 nights which is pretty much not acceptable. Everynight my husband and I left our room at dinner time to return 3 to 4 hours later, to come back to our made bed and dirty towels on the floor. Good hotels know when you leave for dinner and come sneak in and turn down your bed. They did not at Maroma. However someone would call at about 9:30 and ask if we wanted turndown service and the maid would knock on the door after we were in bed.So I didn't think this was to cool for a 5 star hotel that is supposed to anticipate your needs.
2. The first morning we went down to have breakfast outside on the dining patio .It is quite lovely with fresh bread and fruit delivered to your table, choice of juice and whatever you wanted for breakfast. I sat down and asked for an ashtray. The waiter kind of dissapproving said " You want an ashtray??" gesturing to other guest seated 5 tables away. So I figured you can't smoke OUTSIDE even though you can smoke everywhere else in Mexico, but I was like o.k I won't smoke in the dining room and will have my breakfast in the bar with the ashtrays on the table 20 feet away. No problem.
So the next day I asked to be seated in the bar for breakfast.... where we were basically ignored. No fruit, no breadbasket until I asked. Which arrived after the food.On an uneven table.As i got up from my rude breakfast ,low and behold there were people smoking on the dining patio.
I think this was totally unacceptable, very rude. The waiter did not try and say that I had to move to a certain section of the dining room to smoke, or try and accomodate me in some way. He just blew me off and made me feel quite unwelcome. It you are selling cigars in the dining room, guest should be allowed to smoke. But it would appear that only I was not allowed to smoke. I don't know why, but it was not cool and pissed me off.
3. The beach service kind of sucked.Understaffed .The beach boys were very nice, but they seemed to have 1 waiter trying to serve 100 people on 1000 feet of beachfront. So you waited a long time for a drink or your food. You had to wait a while for towels or to have your beach bed swept off. You had to move your own 300 lb beach umbrella. I stayed at Esencia last year and if you even tried to move your beach chair the beachboys came flying down the beach at a dead run to move it for you. Here they didn't.
4. Couldn't have dinner in the restaurant because all I had was flipflops and boots ( coming from Maine). No "beach sandals" in the restaurant for dinner. Which is just stupid. They "dress for Dinner". Thanks for letting me know. Again more unwelcoming snotty crap.I understand when its one of the all inclusives trying to keep you out of the sitdown restaurants and in the buffet, but for $600+ a night joint they should let you in with no shoes.
So although the hotel is very nice, very intimate and beautiful, I found the service to be lacking, and in my case downright unwelcoming and rude. I would recommend you try Esencia if you want superior service in an elegant setting, without the attitude.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Maromamanagement, Managing Director at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me and with our Tripadvisor readers in regards to your recent stay in Maroma Resort and Spa. I encourage and appreciate feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to constantly improve our product and service.

I am sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations; I can assure you, this is not the kind of service you expect to receive from an Orient Express property and I will personally look into each of your comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences, it has not been our intention to make you feel unwelcome nor uncomfortable. Corrective and preventive measures will be taken to ensure these kind of situations do not repeat in the future.

I only hope you will give us the opportunity to erase the negative image you currently have of our property and that you return to our Little Paradise.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 28 February 2010

My wife an I had a most relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable week at the Maroma Hotel. The staff was friendly, service outstanding, the facility impeccably clean. With only 62 rooms, we felt like we were living in a private villa. Amenities include two pools (one nicely heated), a well-equipped gym and a beautifully appointed spa, with a complimentary separate steam, sauna and dipping pool area for men and women. The suites are spacious with ocean views, some have their own dipping pool on the ground level as well a a small personal one on the rooftop. Aim for one of those, otherwise the garden view rooms are small. Food is generally quite good in the everyday restaurant, as well as in the fancy one (Sol). It would be nice if they expanded the menu, especially breakfast and lunch, so that items could be rotated. Playa del Carmen isn't too far - a $20 cab ride one way - where there are some good restaurants to break the monotony.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!