“My most favorite place in the world !”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Texas
“My most favorite place in the world !”
Reviewed 7 April 2010

My wife and I have been to this resort at least 6 times over the last several years. When you arrive the staff makes you feel like you are "home". They remember your name, respect your privacy, but at the same time try to please you in every way. We have only stayed in the ocean view room and it is very cozy. The beds are some of the best I have slept on. They are more comfortable than the bed I sleep on at home. My favorite thing there is the Beach. It is awesome!! It may be one of the best anywhere in the world. The sand is soft and white. The color of the Caribbean Sea is turquoise and it is extremely clear. I have a hard time leaving to eat. Speaking of eating, the breakfast is wonderful and it is included with the rate plan. We think the Huevos Motulenos is gourmet. We eat late for breakfast and usually eat a dinner meal as well. The dinner is very good. If you are there during the night they have "grill night", don't miss it. It was gourmet!! They have a snorkle trip to the second largest reef in the world. It is worth the time spent doing this. It is also included. While there do not miss the Spa. It may also be one of the best we have been to. We also have done the Temscel in the past and it is a wonderful experience. I cannot brag enough about the resort, staff, food, our room. If you like the beach this is THE SPOT. There are several things around the area to see and do, but we just cannot leave this place once we get there. I already want to go back again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
herndon, va
Reviewed 3 April 2010

my husband and i spent 4 amazing nights at maroma and long to return. WARNING: it's a game changer, you will end up comparing all other hotels you stay at (in the future) to maroma. seriously.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2010

“Paradise,” an often overused, and overworked, exaggeration---but not when you are at Maroma. Our ten day stay from March 15 was perfect in every way.

--- Maroma’s beach is finest we have ever seen. You can walk for miles in either direction.

--- Beach beds of regal feel and design, with always present service for moving the umbrellas, food and drink service, etc.

--- Hospitality is a religion there. Everyone is happy to greet you, most by your first name. They satisfy your every wish.

--- Food was excellent, with many variations. No problem asking for, and getting, what was not on the menu.

--- Our “Special Dinner,” to celebrate our 19th Wedding Anniversary, will always be remembered. The attention to every detail was perfection.

--- Clean rooms, and done so in a timely fashion.

--- Morning coffee always there, on time, and piping hot.

--- Great touch, with a phone button for “At Your Service,” to immediately have a positive and prompt response to any need.

--- Extensive and beautiful grounds making any walk anywhere a real pleasure.

--- Hundreds of tea light candles set on the edges of all walk paths, especially artistic when going to and from dinner.

And much more than we can possibly say.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 26 March 2010

My wife and I took a 6 night trip to Riviera Maya and decided to split it up between 3 nights at Maroma and 3 nights at the Rosewood Mayakoba so that we could experience both resorts. For anyone thinking of doing the same, I’ve written a review of the Rosewood as well. I can’t help but review each resort with some comparisons to the other because so much of our experience was colored by what was different between the two places … admittedly; it was a luxurious “problem” to have. But I suspect that we weren’t the only two people in the world considering these two resorts so hopefully some of these comparisons will be useful.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and a wonderful trip and will remember it all very fondly … we went to Cap Juluca in Anguilla last May and enjoyed our Riviera Maya experience more … and we enjoyed the break from the West Coast of Mexico vacations which we have taken more regularly. That said, Maroma and the Rosewood are strikingly different places for two “5 star” resorts only a few miles apart. If I could somehow combine the best of both places, it would probably be the greatest beach resort in the world. But that’s not how it works. So I’ll write a review here of Maroma and then a “tale of the tape” comparison between the two but for details on the Rosewood, you should check out my review of it separately.

Maroma is “old school” beach luxury. The resort’s roots stretch back to the late 1980’s and that shows … in good ways and not so good ways. The biggest downside to the resort is the rooms themselves. We stayed in an Oceanview room and it was the smallest beachfront room I’ve ever had in a resort of this expense. There was definitely only room for one person in the bathroom at a time maximum and it was difficult to find places to adequately access two pieces of luggage at a time. Additionally, the only seating in the room was a chair in the corner whose placement made it impossible to adequately open the door to the porch … it was a puzzle trying to open the door, make it to the other side of the bed and get over the chair … a puzzle I never solved. The ocean facing porch door had no real shade of any kind except built in bamboo … which looked cool but come 6 am the sunlight was shining directly in your eyes on the bed. Now believe me, I didn’t come to the beach to hang out in my room … but it would have been nice if it wasn’t a room that chased me away. At dinner time, only one of us could get ready at a time and once I was finished, I split for the bar or the lobby … it was in no way appealing to hang out in the room longer than was necessary.

However, once you left the room itself, life at Maroma is really good. The beach is fantastic … soft, white sand, easy to get in the water, plenty of space to feel both engaged and private. FYI, the beach at Maroma FAR exceeded the beach at Mayakoba … we were told it was the best in the Riviera Maya and I saw no evidence to refute that. The real place where Maroma shines is in the service … everyone talks about this, but it was even better service than at the Rosewood. Everyone is nice … sure, that’s great, but more than that, everyone is actually helpful … if you have a request, they get it done and in a timely manner. They make you feel at home … you do not ask for coffee refills … they are watching out for you and constantly making your time there easier and better. Any request is fulfilled … it is a very pampering experience. Folks like Carlos at Freddy’s bar in particular stand out … he was over-the-top kind and helpful.

Breakfast at Maroma was the highlight of the culinary experience. Good food and the typically good service. Loved the chilaquiles … loved the handmade tortillas … loved the granola and fruit and the fresh mango and all the juices and the fact that I never seem to want for anything for more than 60 seconds before it appeared. Service at lunch and dinner was also great, but I must say that the food was really just ok. We went into Playa del Carmen for dinner one night at – what seemed to be everyone’s number one suggestion – Yaxche … the food there too was best described as ok. I do no think Riviera Maya is a place you visit for the food … it’s all good, but it’s not memorable. And of course, the resort and tourist prices are higher than they should be.

My wife had a massage and we took two yoga classes from Gabriele. That was all great fun … the quality of the yoga class was a very nice surprise and I’m glad we had this available (although after taxes and service charges, the yoga class costs about $40 per person … that is ridiculous!)

Tale of the tape - Maroma vs the Rosewood Mayakoba:
Best Room: Rosewood Mayakoba by a wide margin
Best Food: Tie – both simply “ok”
Best Beach: Maroma by a wide margin
Best Spa: Rosewood Mayakoba by a small margin
Best Restaurant Service: Maroma by a HUGE margin
Best Other Services: Tie, both great
Best Pools: Tie, but in a bad way because both resorts pools were disappointing
Most Quiet in public spaces: Maroma – no small kids
Most Quiet in your room: Rosewood Mayakoba

While it may seem like I’m doing a lot of complaining, we really did have a great time and I am so glad we went. I want to thank all of the folks at Maroma for bending over backwards to give us the rest and relaxation we needed!

5 Thank MTC-BAMA
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 20 March 2010

My wife and I returned yesterday from what was perhaps the most enjoyable and relaxing vacation we have had in the last several years.

Having been enchanted by Maroma during our first visit in 2004 and lucky enough to have stayed in the same room that Tom Cruise occupied, we had always intended to return for the special type of hospitality offered by this beautiful resort. True, there had been not one but two hurricanes in the tim since our visit and the hotel had been devastated by both. Also true that two other resorts, one an all-inclusive, had been built just down the beach. How would they impact the scene? We frankly wondered if our little slice of Mexican heaven would be the same, which explains why we tried Villa del Sol in Zuatinejo, Sandy Lane and Cap Juluca numerous times, before returning. While those other resorts offer their own special experiences (we remain concerned about Cap Juluca's new ownership and plans to expand) we can report that Maroma has pretty much covered all the bases and offers two things the others don't: (1) greatly improved fitness and spa services, along with expanded choices for eating and (2) the most sincere and friendly staff we have yet had the pleasure to experience.

Names? Oh yes, Moses at Cilantro waited on us for breakfast and lunches, with attentive, perfect service, always followed with "it is my pleasure [to serve you]". Knew our names and remembered them, knew our likes and introduced us to the pleasures of Pineapple an Chaya, a most refreshing drink like no other.

Then there is Anselmo, who works at other primary (casual) restaurant (next to del Sol). He was certainly special in his own way, charming, friendly, a great story teller and a local of Mayan ancestry who personally directed a special ordered Mayan breakfast on our last day, taught us Mayan phrases and introduced us to his brother, also a waiter. Anselmo and Moses were stand-outs in a stellar staff, and hopefully if those at the resort are reading this, they will be lauded for their efforts.

We again met Nancy who operates the Temazcal (clay pyramid sauna). I will not describe it here as it is well characterized by others on the site and in the Maroma webpage. I will say that we have now done it three times (2 x in 2004, 1x last week) and highly recommend it to anyone who is curious about Mayan culture, are organic-oriented eaters or enjoy Yoga and the like. It's a wonderful experience and Nancy is truly devoted to her craft.

Everyone else, including the woman who sits at a stool and makes tamale shells in a clay pot (she'll show you if you'd like to make them yourself), all five stars.

The Kinan Spa, which had not been built the last time we visited was a place we spent too much time and money, but it was well worth it. Rueben performs a Thai massage that is relaxing in the extreme. We also had chocolate-based massages followed by a couples jacuzzi, and a couples 80 minute massage, all perfectly executed. The spa is architecturally in harmony with the Mayan theme and a place to easily spend an entire day reading or sitting by a pond of trickling water.

Our trip was a perfect 10 out of 10, off to a great start when the hotel was unable to honor our request for the "Tom Cruise suite" this time around, and instead upgraded us to a villa-sized suite with private gym, his and hers dressing areas, inside and outside showers, soaking tub, 270 degree ocean view living room, king sized bed, day bed outside, hammock, two ponds, fully stocked wine cellar and snack bar and privacy, privacy privacy!!!

We can't wait to go back this Summer! True, it's not inexpensive, but it does deliver on everything you can hope for, and more.

1 Thank Lemonesq
seattle
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We arrived at Maroma and were upgraded to an ocean view room free of charge. The staff was incredible and attentive to all our needs. The food and atmosphere was perfect. We just booked our trip to go back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kcs0331
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2010

I would echo many of the positive reviews on this property. And offer the observation that when one’s expectations are so very high and there are so many opportunities for lapses, there will undoubtedly be some. But in my opinion, they are minor and do not affect my overall perception that this place is pretty darn close to perfection.

The transportation from the airport went well. Don’t be distracted by the gauntlet of private transportation companies trying to convince you that you need to deal with them to secure your ride. We had a comfortable vehicle with cool facecloths and water. Upon arrival, we were given a marguerita and a tour of the premises. Our guide was a well-meaning and pleasant intern. Being in a service business myself, I understand how important first impressions are, and I would not have had a guest be met and introduced to the property by an intern. While fine, she naturally lacked some of the polish I would have expected, and I wonder if some of our uncertainty about various services would have been clarified at this juncture.

We had paid for an oceanfront room and received one (#32) in the main, older building. The difference between cozy and cramped is a matter of perspective. This was right on the line. We did ask our intern guide about a possible room change but she never got back to us. The great part about the room, however, was its convenience to the beach, the bar, and the restaurants. We could easily drop in and out during the day to check email or whatever. I guess the message is to try to find out in advance what room availability is and try to snag one that meets your preferences.

Kudos to the property for having free facility-wide wi-fi. In fact, I’m sitting at the outdoor bar at 6:30 am right now doing this review in draft.

Service is amazing. The guy washing the floor behind the bar just asked if I would like any coffee. It seems like everyone here is committed to guest satisfaction. They all make an effort to learn guests’ name and call them by name at every opportunity. Coffee/tea arrives as promised on our patio every morning. And, yes, there are candles along the walkways still. Turn down took place every night while we were at dinner. A shout-out here to Carlos and Fili, the nighttime bartenders. Carlos is an amiable host at the outdoor bar (where we stopped enroute to dinner every night) and makes the world’s best bloody mary.

This was our first “relaxing” vacation where a big part of the day is spent doing nothing on the beach. This is a perfect place for that. The beach is immaculate and uncrowded. Of course people from other properties walk along the water, but hey, it’s a public beach and it’s not a big deal. In fact, as we walked up and down the beach, it made us appreciate the quality of our own beach even more. And the mid-morning cool drink and the afternoon sorbet cone (hopefully these won’t show up on our bill!) were nice touches and exemplify the small details that in the aggregate make this such an extraordinary place.

Someone earlier mentioned hearing music at night from an adjacent property. That happened to us one night (out of six) also. It wasn’t so bad, but I did talk (not complain) to the manager so I could get some information to pass along in this review. Apparently, that is the second time this has happened, and it’s not the adjacent hotel per se, but private parties that it hosts. As you will see when you walk the beach, the other hotel is much more a spring break destination than Maroma! Maroma management is jumping on the problem and working with management of the other property, and I would not worry about it. And kudos to the management for taking the time to talk with me about it. They most assuredly care about preserving the very high and well-deserved reputation of the property and take the observations of guests quite seriously.

We abandoned our commitment to vegging on the beach for 6 days to take two trips off premises. We took a taxi to Playa del Carmen for an afternoon to see the town and hopefully pick up some hand-crafted pieces that serve as souvenirs of our various travels. Sadly, it is a pretty tacky place, and the shops that Fodors had recommended for such things were long gone. We did find (and recommend) two places for better quality items. The first is Yulunga, located at Calle 14 Norte off 5th Avenue, with beautiful and fairly priced handcrafted silver jewelry made by the co-owner. The other shop we liked was Caracol, on 5th between Calle 6 and 8, offering a wide variety of quality Mexican crafts, including a selection of ceramic arbol de la vida (trees of life), which we had never seen before.

We were pleased to find that the shop on the hotel premises itself had high quality crafts and other items as well, staffed by very knowledgeable and friendly salespeople. Unlike most high-end hotel shops, the offerings were priced quite competitively and fairly.

We also took a day trip to Chichen Itza (we got the CI package for 3 of our nights here, which I think is cheaper than paying for the trip by itself when dinner is added in). We also had the Richard/Galo combination and enjoyed the trip very much. It would be hard to imagine being this close and not seeing this stunning sight.

Finally, a word about the food. As mentioned before, the restaurant staff was attentive and professional and service was fine. The live music every night was a nice touch. The food itself, however, was just ok, and pretty expensive for the quality, which was, frankly, less than we expected. Although Maroma itself is very expensive (and worth it!), we were not keen to overpay for food on top of it, and the logistics of eating off premises are difficult. The trick here, which we learned a few days into our stay, is that there is no need to limit yourself to the menu offered, so you can get something light. Our strategy was to eat breakfast (included in the room charge) late in the morning, skip lunch, and order off the lighter and less expensive lunch menu at dinner, which was just fine with the restaurant. It’s not like we were burning calories big time sitting on the beach, so eating a big meal at dinner wasn’t a high priority. Mid-afternoon on some days, we did succumb to the Maroma nachos at the beach bar; they are delicious and held us over nicely.

We didn’t use the spa, but everyone who did absolutely raved about it. It is a beautiful facility. My wife took the yoga class one morning and reports that it’s not for novices, but was in a spectacular setting and the instructor was very good. She reports (I wouldn’t know) that the fitness center was very well equipped. A one-hour walk on the beach provides a good workout as well.

We have traveled the world extensively and stayed in some of the nicest properties. Except for the room size and food, Maroma met our very high expectations handily. We recommend it without reservation.

It’s now 7:15 am, and I’m watching two guys raking up the very small amount of seaweed that washed up on the edge of the beach last night. A fair metaphor for the attention to detail Maroma provides.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!