Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I just don't know where to begin. Maroma Resort & Spa is truly a paradise not to be missed. I had read all of the glorious reviews ahead of time and our experience there far exceeded what I had imagined ahead of time. :) :) :)

We stayed at Maroma for our honeymoon for 4 nights and 5 days and it rained every day except for the day we first arrived....and I can STILL say this was the best trip I have ever had and the very best resort I have stayed at. The staff at Maroma is like none other and every person we encountered made us feel like the most special people there. The secluded and private atmosphere makes you feel like a VIP from the start and everyone at Maroma continues that feeling during your stay.

We reserved an oceanview room and upon arrival we were upgraded to a beachfront room (Room 29) in the main building and from our window we could see Freddy's bar below and the restaurant off to the right side....we loved it! The rooms had character and we especially enjoyed the nightly turndowns and special letters and notes we would receive. :) We also loved the daily coffee and tea delivery to our room every morning! Considering it rained almost the entire time, we appreciated the location because we were close to everything! :) I ordered a rose petal turndown on our first night and it was absolutely gorgeous and we came home to a super romantic candlelight tub with rose petals....great way to start our honeymoon. ;)

We had originally planned to have a private beach dinner as well as a private dinner at the Mirador, but rain cancelled both of those plans...but...Maroma to the rescue. :) Narcisco (who is an absolute treasure!!!) surprised us with a private dinner in the wine cellar the night of the planned beach dinner and the table was decorated so beautifully with flowers....just awesome. :) The night of our planned Mirador dinner, again we were surprised with a beautifully decorated table at El Sol and we were able to have the dinner menu we had originally planned for the beach dinner! Maroma provides so many lovely details during your stay, you can't help but feel loved there. :) We really want to thank Narcisco for helping to make our dinners there so lovely and wonderful....he was a great help throughout our stay and Maroma is very lucky to have him there!!! :)

We also want to thank Anselmo for the amazing service he always provided at breakfast every morning....we always looked forward to seeing him. Additionally, Gilberto, Miguel & Pablo were always there greeting us with smiles and warm welcomes and we always appreciated that. :)

The few hours we did have sunshine on that first day, we were treated like royalty thanks to Daniel at the beach and Gabriel always greeted us whenever he saw us...he felt like an old friend! :) Although we never got to hang out at Freddy's bar due to the rain, we did finally meet the infamous Freddy indoors and he is as cool as we anticipated. :) We really enjoyed chatting with him! He made me a tamarindo margarita that was out of this world!!

Finally, we wanted to thank Jaime and Miguel at El Sol. They both provided excellent, excellent service during our 3 dinners there and in particular, Jaime. :) He is just the sweetest man and he made us feel like kings. It was a joy to see him every evening and he is also a great treasure at Maroma. :)

As everyone mentions....the stay will cost you a pretty penny....but it is SO WORTH IT!!!!! :) You can't match that kind of service anywhere else (at least in my experience so far) and the location is just out of this world....from the rooms to the beach.....paradise, paradise, paradise. My husband promised me we will go back one day so we can have our beach dinner and one at the Mirador. :) I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could truly go on and on about every detail of our stay, but you have to have some surprises when you go yourself....so go already!!!! :) :) :) Book a trip and go there now!!! :) :) :) hahaha!

Thank you to Maroma for an unforgettable honeymoon!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to make a trip to Kinan Spa...my husband and I had massages (Lomi Lomi for me and deep tissue for him) and we were able to have a big room to enjoy the massages side by side AND we got to enjoy time in a jacuzzi decorated (as always) with beautiful flower petals....amazing!!! :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ElizabethAndrade
Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed 17 April 2010

My wife and I have stayed in some very nice high-end hotels over the years. However, the setting and service at Maroma far exceeds anything we have ever experienced. We stayed there for 5 nights in April 2010 to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary.

We chose to rent a Jeep at the airport and make our own way down to the hotel which we're glad we did because it gave us the freedom to come and go as we pleased and take excursions off the property on our own when we wanted. Finding the hotel wasn't easy and we passed up the main entrance several times before locating the main gate. At first this was a little frustrating but when we finally found it the fact that the hotel entranced is not well marked on the main road significantly added to the allure of the place. Many other luxury hotels in the area have monstrous gates that you cannot miss but we loved the seclusion of Maroma and it's long winding gravel road from the main highway to the hotel lobby. It felt like a hidden gem. Upon arrival at the gate, a staff member took our name down and let us through. When we arrived at the main lobby, we were greeted by name and offered complimentary margaritas (the best we've ever tasted; so good in fact that we each ordered one again every day during our stay!). We were given a short tour of the property and led up to our room where we completed the quick check-in process.

Our room was an ocean view room on the 2nd floor of a building adjacent to the main building. We were set back a couple hundred feet from the beach which was just far enough to experience the beautiful view and warm ocean breeze while maintaining complete privacy and tranquility. The room was somewhat small by most standards however the size was overcome by ambiance and character and the large balcony out front with two chairs, a table, a built-on sofa along one wall and a very comfortable hammock (which holds two!). We spent quite a bit of time on the balcony and really enjoyed it. We ate breakfast there (room service) every morning except one day when we ate at the restaurant. One thing to note about the room itself! It provides little to no privacy. There is an open shower that doesn't have a shower curtain and the saloon-style door to the bathroom doesn't leave much to the imagination when you or your significant other are using it. However, if you're completely comfortable with your significant other you will not find these items to be a problem.

The beach at Maroma is unbelievable. It has the softest sand I have ever felt and is the whitest I have ever seen. Every morning they rake up any weeds or trash that have drifted in from the sea. It is spotless. There are a variety of options for enjoying the beach including large beach beds, loungers and Adirondack chairs under thatch roof umbrellas. I loved sitting in the Adirondack chairs on the beach with a cold margarita and just covering my feet with the cool, soft, clean sand. It was wonderful.

On the day of our anniversary, I had previously arranged for my wife and I to have a special private dinner in the Mirador (a tower at the top of the hotel). The 360-degree views of the region and the property were spectacular! The food we were served (prepared by our chef, Felipe) was incredible and the hotel's sommelier gave us a wine pairing with each course that was spot on! Our server Luis (El Conde!) was fantastic and was very good about bringing each course at the right time and making sure that we had everything we needed. This was a very romantic experience and my wife and I cherished every moment of it.

Other activities we did at the hotel included horseback riding on the beach (fun but we've had a better horseback riding experience elsewhere), treatments at the Kinan Spa (excellent and very tranquil), snorkeling on the reef (very worthwhile and would definitely do it again) and the Tezmacal (an awesome experience; glad we did it but probably would not do it again).

Lastly, a word about the service. We were treated like royalty or celebrities (neither of which we are) every single day! The staff went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. If we wanted to move a chair and I would begin to move it, a staff member would appear quickly from out of nowhere to assist. Any special requests, no problem. We ate at El Sol one night and I ordered something completely off the menu. No problem. The staff seemed able to accommodate our every desire.

Definitely go and enjoy Maroma! If you're concerned about reports that the cost is high (and it is) know this: It is worth every penny!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank landshark75
Reviewed 15 April 2010

The Maroma is a place of quiet elegance and beauty with superb, yet unobtrusive service all of which made our stay quite magical. Our experience there inspired a peace and relaxation that followed us back to Boston so that we could tackle the rough and tumble of daily life. Now, we anticipate our certain visit next year. A genuine thanks to all the Maroma professionals who exceeded our expectations. A special thanks to Carlito who launched our evening cocktail hour with great mixing skills and company and to Dalia who each Morning started our day with her cheerful greeting.

Cheers to all at Maroma!
John and Mark

Reviewed 12 April 2010

After much research & debate over where to stay, we settled on Maroma as it appeared to meet our needs. We were looking for a relatively small/intimate property, not family/children oriented, luxury service & direct beach location. Not only did Maroma meet our needs, it surpassed our expectations! However a fair review you will get.

POSITIVES:
-Although I've had friends rave about the Bayan & Mandarin Oriental, they completely agree that paying such high prices without being on the beach is ridiculous. We enjoyed the most amazing, uncrowded & clean beach daily from our villa directly on the beach. Fantastic.
-During our entire 5 night stay & despite any & every special request we made, we did not hear the word "no". Not even once. We were accommodated each & every time & always with the best of dispositions & warm smile. I've traveled the world, always at 5 star properties & had never before experienced this.
-Since the property doesn't allow anyone under 16, we were never disturbed by any children. For those that don't have kids, this is obviously great. But even for those that do, as we met a couple who purposely chose this hotel as their 1st romantic getaway from their infant child & didn't want to be bothered with others'.
-The food (even from room service) was great.
--The property offers a romantic candlelight dinner on the beach (it's on the website). I highly recommend this dinner for any couple looking to do something special.

NEGATIVES:
-Although the food is in fact great, it lacks variety. By the 6th day, I don't know of many people who will not be fed up with Mexican food. It is also overpriced, as we paid close to US$20 for a salad that was lettuce with a few tomatoes thrown in. Not kidding.
-We reserved a standard room w ocean view. Although this was technically what we were given, the fact that it was in the main building & directly over the restaurant made us feel like we'd be staying in the help's quarters. Not only would the noise never allow you to fall asleep & wake you up the moment they begin serving breakfast, you have zero privacy while on your balcony. We upgraded to a villa whose price ended up being more than what we were originally quoted, but was SO worth it!

CONCLUSION: I will overlook the minor imperfections & gladly return to Maroma in an instant!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

My wife and I have been to this resort at least 6 times over the last several years. When you arrive the staff makes you feel like you are "home". They remember your name, respect your privacy, but at the same time try to please you in every way. We have only stayed in the ocean view room and it is very cozy. The beds are some of the best I have slept on. They are more comfortable than the bed I sleep on at home. My favorite thing there is the Beach. It is awesome!! It may be one of the best anywhere in the world. The sand is soft and white. The color of the Caribbean Sea is turquoise and it is extremely clear. I have a hard time leaving to eat. Speaking of eating, the breakfast is wonderful and it is included with the rate plan. We think the Huevos Motulenos is gourmet. We eat late for breakfast and usually eat a dinner meal as well. The dinner is very good. If you are there during the night they have "grill night", don't miss it. It was gourmet!! They have a snorkle trip to the second largest reef in the world. It is worth the time spent doing this. It is also included. While there do not miss the Spa. It may also be one of the best we have been to. We also have done the Temscel in the past and it is a wonderful experience. I cannot brag enough about the resort, staff, food, our room. If you like the beach this is THE SPOT. There are several things around the area to see and do, but we just cannot leave this place once we get there. I already want to go back again.

Reviewed 3 April 2010

my husband and i spent 4 amazing nights at maroma and long to return. WARNING: it's a game changer, you will end up comparing all other hotels you stay at (in the future) to maroma. seriously.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2010

“Paradise,” an often overused, and overworked, exaggeration---but not when you are at Maroma. Our ten day stay from March 15 was perfect in every way.

--- Maroma’s beach is finest we have ever seen. You can walk for miles in either direction.

--- Beach beds of regal feel and design, with always present service for moving the umbrellas, food and drink service, etc.

--- Hospitality is a religion there. Everyone is happy to greet you, most by your first name. They satisfy your every wish.

--- Food was excellent, with many variations. No problem asking for, and getting, what was not on the menu.

--- Our “Special Dinner,” to celebrate our 19th Wedding Anniversary, will always be remembered. The attention to every detail was perfection.

--- Clean rooms, and done so in a timely fashion.

--- Morning coffee always there, on time, and piping hot.

--- Great touch, with a phone button for “At Your Service,” to immediately have a positive and prompt response to any need.

--- Extensive and beautiful grounds making any walk anywhere a real pleasure.

--- Hundreds of tea light candles set on the edges of all walk paths, especially artistic when going to and from dinner.

And much more than we can possibly say.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!