“Catalonia Playa Maroma Privilege”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Me and my boyfriend went over there on 20th November 2013 and stayed for 14 nights. We had a really long flight 12 hours from UK! At our arrival at the hotel we were properly taken care of which really impressed me. Our luggage was taken immediately from us and delivered to our room. We were also offered a couple of drinks before checking in. At checking in we chose the privilege option as everyone suggested on tripadviser. Staff at the reception was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very close to the beach. Choosing the privilege option we had our room fridge refilled every day. Food at the hotel was good, the beast was breakfast I think. A la carte restaurants were not so goo though. We manage to go to Mexican restaurant and the food was OK. The restaurant was missing more Mexican atmosphere. The steak house was a complete disaster! Our both steaks were horrible cooked, just uneatable. We gave up on Italian one after seeing its menu. Our favorite staff at the main lunchroom was Roberto. Once we got to know him we always had hot coffee or wine/beer put on our table before we ordered our food. Alcoholic drinks were high quality but you must show them what you want otherwise they will pour their own alcohol. There were few disappointments however, like being on the privilege beach there was supposed to be a drink service. We only saw one person for few minutes then he/she disappeared for few hours. There were also too many people on the second half of our staying which made difficult to find a good place on the beach. The sunbeds were "marked" by their towels since 6 am! which was ridiculous! Nevertheless, the hotel's location is fabulous! White sandy beach, crystal clean water and a green jungle. I will definitely miss the romantically lit promenade from the beach to the main reception.

Room Tip: I would not drink water served by the hotel even in a bottle.
2  Thank BuckinghamshireJus

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I did a great amount of research before choosing Catalonia Privileged Maroma for our honeymoon. We wanted a great beach at a smaller resort. Let me tell you, we had a wonderful time. And choose privileged - it's well worth the few extra bucks. So, there are lots of Europeans like some seem to complain about but it made for a nice experience and we didn't find people rude at all. Frankly, worse here in the USA. The staff was very helpful and almost everyone spoke English well enough to communicate. They all seem to work very hard and yes, we did bring ones to tip for the great service.

The resort - gorgeous, very well taken care of grounds. Set in a mangrove leading to the beach, it's alive with birds, lizards and those adorable coatis. Some of the buildings appear older but we constantly being maintained. We didn't experience but a few mosquito bites unlike others who've posted but maybe it was the time of year.

Drinks were good - ask for name brands and it's no problem. Drink quality was a little inconsistent but for the most part great pours.

Food - was good overall. We found the specialty restaurants inconsistent. Some things good, some things not so much. The pibil (pork) at the Mexican restaurant was exceptional. Steakhouse was ok, steaks are very thin and not trimmed well. Italian restaurant was ok but hit and miss with it's offerings. The buffet was a pleasant surprise. Lots of variety and some really great Mexican dishes. The Terrace for lunch was good however we didn't care for the tapas menu at night. Again, some good, some not so much. We both thought the fish quality was subpar. The creperie has yummy treats.

Our privileged room - 4119. Nice big honeymoon room with newer over-sized jacuzzi tub on patio. It was very romantic and pretty private. Room was very well taken care of and we lacked nothing. Huge shower which was nice too. Minibar had Modelo, Pepsi, diet Pepsis, 7 Up and orange soda.

We also rented a car from Advocar online before we left. Very convenient as they have a branch at the resort and if you book online you save quite a bit of money. Went to Playa del Carmen which was okay but has changed much since the last time I was there. Also visited Tulum ruins which were very nice and located on the ocean. It is as beautiful as it looks in the pictures. Hint - drive down to Akumal like we did and you can snorkel with turtles and a myriad of fish for little money. You don't need to do a tour.

Finally - the beach. Yes, it is as incredible as everyone seems to say. Sand like talcum powder, cool to the touch. Water very clear, warm and inviting. I have been to many beaches in the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii and Cali and it's the best I've ever set foot on. We also liked to take walks on the beach at night after dinner. It was always a little windy but beautiful.

So, will we go back again? Absolutely. We loved the place even with a few minor shortcomings. Catalonia Privileged Maroma is a great place to stay if you like smaller, uncrowded resorts.

3  Thank jtsocal
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just left Catalonia Maroma and had a lovely stay. The staff was AWESOME, food was plentiful (you will not starve) and good, room was clean/well kept and beach was beautiful. The main part of the resort is set back in a "jungle" setting which, is very cool. You can make new friends with the Coatis (little raccoon guys). I would come back and the privileged upgrade is worth it. As for the negative reviews regarding the treatment of Americans - that is completely bogus and I'm sorry but those folks must be pretty egotistical to feel that way. Get over yourself and enjoy your stay, it's a beautiful place.

Room Tip: If you would like an ocean front room - request it. I dont think there are a ton. If you dont get on...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rebecca g
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I cannot see where anyone could complain about anything relating to this resort. I read all of the reviews before I went and thankfully went in the state of mind that the resort had mostly good reviews, but the bad ones were still in the back on my mind. We arrived to the fastest check-in ever, as someone came and served us a delicious rum punch. Our bags were swiftly delivered to our rooms and we hurried up to have dinner as we had a long trip. We ate dinner at the buffet and it was delicious. It was dark, so we didn't really have much of a view of the resort. We went to bed early and woke early to go to the beach. The sand was incredibly soft, kind of like either flour or baby powder. I have never felt such soft sand before. We had opted for the priviledged package and have no regrets. We did not have any problems getting chairs under a palapala and there were six adults in our party. The water was clear and warm. The weather was beautiful. The bar service was fast and they would make you anything you wanted. We all brought bubba mugs and nobody blinked an eye serving us in those. The bartenders at the beach bar (Juan and Gabriel) were quick, friendly and accomodating. They even offered to suprise us with their own specialites, which were delicious. Our rooms were nicely laid out with plenty of room, very clean and a huge bathroom. I am pretty sure our room was recently updated. We stayed in room 4327 and loved it. The cleaning staff was very thorough. I happened to be in the room one day when they were cleaning and stayed out on the balcony while they worked. They stripped and remade the bed, swept, wiped and washed the floors. You can order room service to your room with no charge. The club house sandwiches are excellente!!! I had no problems communicating with any of the staff and when asked for help, they were ready, willing and able. The staff works exceptionally hard and always with a smile on their face. Very pleasant. We ate dinners at all of the a la carte restaurants as well as my birthday dinner at the Terrace Tapas Grill. All of them were excellent and each person in our party had differing favourites. My favourite was the Italian Restaurant, where I had Grouper and Lasagna. I am a very picky eater and they were both excellent. The appetizers and desserts were 5 star as well. We went diving with the resort's dive shop and they were excellent, knowledgable and helpful. We had fun there no matter what we did. At night, we would sit outside at the beach bar after dinner and listen to the waves, music and watch the stars, as well as people watch. It was very nice. I can't say enough to describe how great this resort is. I can say that 2 of the people we came with never do any trips unless it is a cruise and they will definately be coming back to this resort. I don't think they were quite sure what to expect and this resort went beyond all of our expectations. As a matter of fact, they offered, after 2 days, to upgrade us to their 5 star resort about 1/2 hour away and we liked this resort so much, we decided to stay and forgo the trip to the nicer resort. I think that says it all. Try it - you will like it. Also, the creperie offered wonderful crepes and great ice cream. That was an added extra that we didn't need, but loved!

Room Tip: Bldgs 4, 5 or 6 are the best, from my understanding. My friends were in 6213 and it was even nicer...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Janis F
PlayaMaroma, Manager at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

We thank you very much for your comments.

We hope to see you again!

Best regards!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from November 8-15th. I had done a lot of research in regards to resorts, location, etc. and decided on CPM. We booked a privileged room which was TOTALLY worth it. You can get breakfast (which was amazing) everyday, lunch everyday, and one a la carte dinner at the Terrace restaurant which has an incredible view and unreal service. We had the room 5107, which is close to the beach/pool area as well as all the a la carte restaurants. I think I would have preferred a higher floor for a balcony, but this was was fine. The only issue we had was that the ceiling in the bathroom had to be repaired twice due to some drywall falling down.. I assumed this was due to the insane humidity from the rain the week previous to our stay. The rooms were always clean and cold, but basic as others have mentioned (not a huge deal if you plan on doing other things than sitting in your room). There were a ton of Europeans, however they were all friendly. Obviously they prefer to converse with those of the same language group, just like you or I would, so that was understandable. The entertainment team definitely catered to them during the day for activities and wouldn't even really attempt to get you to do anything if you said you couldn't speak Italian, which was fine with us as we just wanted to enjoy the beach and relax anyway, and the shows at night were actually mostly in English. The staff were all great and the lobby bar is generally the best bar to get drinks at and for service. Not all could speak English but they definitely made an effort to communicate which was great. We took a cab into playa which was well worth it if you want to do some shopping or go out for lunch and only cost us 22 USD each way. We only ate dinner at the buffet one night, but it was good. The Mexican has great food and a great atmosphere, Italian is delicious, but I would not recommend the steakhouse as I ordered chicken and it was still pink. The beach is INCREDIBLE- it is like walking on icing sugar and the water was fantastic. If I could give any recommendations it would be to book privileged, go into playa, bring entertainment for rainy days, and enjoy :)

Room Tip: booked privileged in either to 5000's or 6000's- well worth it!!
1  Thank grachel77
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Been there with a toddler and wife for 3 nights, november 22nd-25th.
Has one of THE BEST BEACHES on all the Riviera Maya. Excellent.
Rooms are nice as well. Beds a little soft for me.
90% of french passengers...
The food is the less attractive part of the resort. Is good but lack of choices and for more than 3 days it may be repetitive.
I will recommend it for those who most care about the beach.
To book "Privileged" Rooms is a MUST.

Room Tip: To book "Privileged" Rooms is a MUST.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ArmatuViaje
Reviewed 25 November 2013

this hotel was fantasic pool was great the beach bar/pool bar drinks were great. banana splits at the beach/pool fantasic all day. there was usually about a twenty miniute wait for the al acarts. the only down fall for this hotel is the transfer we had to go down two very bumpy road to pick up or drop off people should take half hour took 50 minutes. we will go back the beach was fanatic all the restaurants were fantasic rooms were always clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!