“Just OK!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Just OK!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Returned last weekend from a 7 day stay at CPM. Traveled with our adult children. The resort is beautiful. Loved the jungle we walked through to get to the buffet and to our rooms. Had requested building 6 but got building 4 instead. We did not get our room until almost 5 pm. Waisted so much time going back and forth to check on room status. Did not offer a room to change into swimwear. It was crazy busy at the privilege check, so many people cramed into a very small room with only 2 people checking us in. At the regular checkin desk there was also 2 people checking in no one!!!! Made no sense. Room was fine. Liked the layout of the bathroom but it definitely needs to be updated. Air conditioning did not work well, it was cool but not cold enough. The air in the kids other 3 rooms worked very well. Called front desk but nothing was done. Pool area was very nice but not enough loungers, and many of them need repair. Beach was beautiful. We needed to put towel out on lounge chairs by 6:30 am in order to get chairs in shade. Entertainment was only ok. I am comparing this to the other 6 resorts re have been to. We were very disappointed in the food. Not much variety, cold very few meat selections. Hard to get bacon in the mornig, only put out a small plateof it, the first 6-7 people in line take it all, then you have to wait another 15 minutes for more. By this time your eggs are stone cold. First resort we have ever been to where they do not have hot cereal for breakfast, when we asked they said to wait 10 minutes, but they never came back out. Service was very inconsistent. Had room service once for breakfast. It was excellent, even got a large amt of crisp bacon. Very limited english , was a lot of effort to ask for ice that I never got!! They do have beach and pool drink service, but you have to flag them down or else they just pick up dirty glasses. They ran out of top shelf liquor 4 of the 7 nights?? It was an ok vacation. You get what you pay for. I would definitely NOT return to this resort! n

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cathy d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from our vacation at Catalonia Playa Maroma we stayed at the privileged room in building #6 a very spacious room with balcony facing the garden, with all the amenities. Coffee maker, electronic safe, iron, refrigerator restocked daily, umbrella etc. We were greeted by Margarita which made us feel at home, the buffet area was nice and clean, the resort restaurants were elegant the menu excellent and I can't say enough of the people that work there, they greed you at any moment with a smile. The resort has a walkway from the lobby to the pool area and beach that keeps you in contact with nature and the small gentle animal found in the area like the Coatis. The beach was just beautiful even when we got a brief shower, the white sand and turquoise water was very romantic. We also did archery, scuba dive and games, there is a show every night at the theater. We received a fruit basket and champagne in our room and a anniversary door banner. We would love to come back for a second time.

Room Tip: buildings 5 and 6 are closer to the pool and beach
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Luis G
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Check-in: Due to a 13 flight delay, we did not reach the resort until about 2:00 AM. Needless to say, check-in was a breeze. Denis got us checked in, gave us a brief run-down of the resort and advised us to stop by the Privileged office in the morning. He took our room service order, gave us our keys, and we were on our way. Our bags actually made it to our room before we did! :) The room service menu is pretty slim after 11:00 PM (hot dogs, grilled cheese, cake of the day) but arrived quickly and with a smile, and hit the spot after a long day at the airport.

The Room: I had requested a room in building 5 or 6 on an upper floor knowing that those buildings were closer to the beach and the pool. We were in building 5 on the third floor. There are no elevators which was not a real problem for us but could be problematic for someone with a lot to carry, or trying to navigate back to the room in some heels after a few drinks :). We had a nice balcony with a lovely garden view. The room was clean and met expectations. The bed was not the most comfortable but neither of us had problems sleeping. There was a variety of pillows to choose from. The room had a ceiling fan and air conditioner, and the temperature was comfortable for the most part but we were not ever able to achieve "cold". There was a mini-fridge containing bottled water, Pepsi (regular and light), beer, and a canned carbonated fruit drink. We had no problems with the fridge being refilled, it was tended to daily and in a timely manor. The shower was large with a glass door, and had a normal shower head as well as a hand held adaptor. I used both and had no problems containing the water to the shower. There is a bottle of water placed by the bathroom sink- use it to brush your teeth. We were never disturbed by any outside noise.

The room contains a safe, which we were told all money, jewelry and valuables had to be locked up in or out of sight or housekeeping would not clean the room. On the first day our safe code did not work after housekeeping had been in the room which caused some panic, but I immediately called the desk and security was at our door within 5 minutes to open the safe for us. Everything was accounted for, we reset the code and did not have any more problems.

The Food: El Pajarito is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is the only meal I can speak to. Excellent variety of food and juices. With the exception of our last day, we were met with a smile, glasses were not empty for long, and plates were cleared quickly. The two days that we went here for lunch it was 3:30 or right before, and they were starting to close up shop. Keep stop times in mind because when they say meal time is over, they mean meal time is over.

El Pajarito is right next to the lobby, which was a healthy walking distance from our room in building 5. A brisk walk would be about 5 minute, normal pace 7 min, leisurely stroll taking in the scenery and stopping to look at the coatis could take 10 min or more. No, it is not super convenient but it really is really not that far. The walk thru the jungle is beautiful and quite enjoyable.

Privileged snack bar : A good back up for missed lunch, typical snack bar food such as pizza, hot dogs, fruit. We only ate there once.

Tio Pedro and La Tortuga were both great for dinner- service was excellent and the food was great. We did not have to wait to be seated. Our last night we had dinner at Terras Tappas and were not impressed. Our "15 minute" wait was more like an hour and 15 minutes, the service was poor (unfriendly, slow, inattentive), and the food was not good.

The beach was beautiful- the whitest sand and most turquoise colored water I have ever seen. There were no rocks, and an abundance of chairs but we did have trouble getting two together in the shade, both at the beach and the pool. The pool was very nice but not spectacular, it was very clean. We were always able to get drinks from the pool and juice bar quickly.

All of the bartenders were very friendly and made great drinks. They were plenty strong and would make anything that we asked for.

We looked at so many resorts before deciding on Catalonia Playa Maroma and were so pleased with our decision. We have already booked our second trip and are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Aimee780
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Recently attended a wedding at Catalonia Playa Maroma and was most impressed with the overall offering this resort, from being greeted by Jose to departure. The staff is most professional and helpful. I stayed in building #5, my room was large, very clean, well appointed and near the pool and beach. I did the "privileged" option, which basically gave you all inclusive status and made it easier to navigate the resort, in my opinion. There were many food options ( 3-4 different restaurants ) but the buffet offering was always the best for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food items like omelets, crepes, tostadas were prepared right in front of you along with an assortment of fresh bakery, fruit, yogurt and juices. The property has many bars and they host a 24 hour bar as well. Some of the cocktails/drinks were too sweet for my taste but that was easily rectified by just telling the bar tender what you wanted. I can say enough great things about the beach and pool areas, they were very clean, well kept and needless to say, where I spent most of my time at. If you are looking for a great value while seeing this part of the world, Catalonia Maroma Privileged is for you.

Room Tip: Everyone talks about buildings 4,5 or 6 because of proximity to the pool and/or beach but it's a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Euriael J
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We recently had a group of 14 people staying at the Catalonia Playa Maroma for my wedding. Our group ranged in ages from 2 to 65. We all had a blast. Pilar and Ricardo assisted with the wedding and the photography and it was perfect. The beach was amazing. We stayed in building #6 which I read was the best, we were all very pleased. My room was very modern and clean. There was many different food options and shopping on property. My parents stayed at the Iberostar Grand during their last visit to Mexico (which is usually about $1,000 more per person) and they said the Catalonia Playa Maroma was better and cheaper. I read other comments on TripAdvisor before I left about other guests being French and rude - we didn't encounter any rude people. Also, your belongings are very safe! My Dad overslept the morning we were leaving at 7 a.m. for the Ruins; he left money on his dresser and his safe open. The Housekeeper wrote a note that due to the valuables being left all over his room she did not feel comfortable being alone in there but for him to call when he got back and they would service it.

If you decide to book here do the "privileged"; you get more food options especially for breakfast and lunch.

My favorite restaurant for dinner was Tio Pedro - our server Carmello (sp?) was the best! There was also a crepe place that was delicious.

The resort offers a lot of entertainment but we never knew when and where so either we missed it or the resort needs to do a better job letting guests know.

I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank DaniMcD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came for our honeymoon and we loved every minute here. The staff were attentive, friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic. We enjoyed the wildlife and entertainment. Our travel rep was excellent and we went on three amazing trips: Xplor, Chichen Itza and Delphinus. XPLOR was amazing! A must for active people. We will be coming back next year.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma L
Chepachet, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The wife and I booked 5 days through Cheap Carribean for around $1800 with flights for early April. That being said we were looking for some time away from the kids without breaking the bank. This is what that resort is; a "value" vacation at a beautiful place.

The resort is dominated by a large European crowd(about 75%). As long as you don't mind yielding to them walking down paths 4 people wide bumping shoulders and cutting in front of you in lines you will be fine.(Just a joke we thoroughly enjoyed the people and culture).

BEACH:
The beach is a 5 out of 5. I'm from RI with beaches everywhere and I cannot see how anyone couldn't say the beach was phenomenal and brilliant. Awesome sand and felt like a Corona commercial. As far as drink service with the other reviews I never had a problem. I would order Two drinks and give her a dollar each time she came. She came back once every 15-20 minutes..Enough said... I guess I drink faster than others so my drinks never got warm. As far as the towel game..As long as we were out there by 9-10 AM we were guaranteed a nice seat under the Palapas or a Palm tree. Beach was awesome.

FOOD:
Your going to want to try all the different restaurants. If I was doing the trip all over again I would go to the TAPAS Rooftop (Priveleged) for every Breakfast and Lunch and sprinkle in the other restaurants for dinner. We tried the Buffet, TAPAS, Mexican, and Italian for dinner. The Mexican was very good and I would recommend. The buffet was ok. Tapas was pretty good for dinner. The Italian was very mediocre at best. That being said I didn't have super high expectations for the food.

POOL:
The pool was very clean and had more activity and people than the beaches which surprised me. So if you are a beach bum this is good news because we virtually had the beach to ourselves and about 24 other guests. The crepes were very good by the pool. The Drink menu is large(I think I had one of everything). After a while I stayed away from the drinks that had "lemon" which is their sour mix.

All in all it was a great vacation and I would go back. It had a rustic authentic feeling to it. The rooms did not have all the bells and whistles of a Starwood resort but made you feel like you were in Mexico. We stayed in Building 5. Took walks on the beach which were nice. Unfortunately we didn't make it to any shows as they were later on at night. I think it was around 10:30 PM and their club opened around 11. I'm only 35 but my main goal was to get some Rest and Relaxation without the babies. Sometimes it's easy to get swayed and paranoid after reading negative reviews. I would say keep your head up and look forward to a great time. This a great place to get away for a short vacation. A tip here goes a long way and I felt the staff were very hard working nice people so I spread the love. Enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,475 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,673 reviews

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!