We stayed on the 3rd floor in Cobá, and our friends in one of the honeymoon suites on the 2nd. The rooms were handsomely appointed, with a great balcony that we used surprisingly more than anticipated. The hotel was full of surprises, receiving birthday cake one night, and birthday decor another. We really felt at home in the spacious room and appreciated how quiet and peaceful our building was.
FOOD & DRINK
The food was pretty typical to slightly above average for a medium-large scale resort. The restaurants were definitely a perk - no reservations needed and elevated food and service over the standard buffet. Our faves were: breakfast - La Terraza or buffet ; lunch - La Terraza; dinner - La Tortuga.
Drink was plentiful and the bartenders work HARD because there's only one bar at the pool and another far away in the lobby. If you tip the pool/beach waiters, they tend to stick around and save you the trip to wait in line.
POOL & BEACH
There is only one pool, but it relatively huge for the location and varies from 0' - 7'6. Chairs (and umbrellas or canopies) are plentiful and fairly easy to come by at most times of the day. I always appreciate resorts where I don't have to wake up at 5am to go put a towel out on a chair.
The beach is absolutely gorgeous - white sand, crystal water and huge. With the reef running along the area, probably one of the nicest beaches and water in Riviera.
We went on a snorkeling excursion which departs from about 2mi down the beach from the resort. The trip had many add-ons if you were interested, and was a great time, however, we could have just as easily swam or kayaked to the reef's edge from the resort itself had we known the snorkeling location. At the end of the snorkeling, you can ride the Spinnaker, which is essentially a sail off the back of the catamaran, with a rope along the bottom that you ride - this was the absolute best part of the day and I would have travelled just to do this.
We also rented wave runners from one of the huts just north of the resort…you might have to bargain a little, but it's an awesome location for jetting on the ocean!
Everyone is SO friendly, I was well impressed!
I rarely get too involved in activities or entertainment on vacation, but the animation staff (especially Jesus!!) were so much fun I couldn't help it. Make sure you see the live shows at night in the theater - they're better than some performances we've paid to see on vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma