We have stayed at Catalonia no less than 10 times. The resort has changed considerably in that time and is getting ready to make changes again. Originally it was all Mexican style rooms. Then the renovated half the hotel to "privileged" section with updated rooms and baths, now I understand that they are changing some of the areas to accommodate 'time share' owners and the palapa on the beach with the suites will no longer be available for the general public to rent. (These are the best rooms).
The food is OK at the buffet but the specialty restaurants are far better.
The staff are wonderful and very friendly. Most of the guest are Europeans, and come in by charter for two weeks at a time. Americans are definitely the minority. The drinks are bar brand only, no name brand. So if you go for the beach this is the spot, if you are looking for luxury, may want to reconsider.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma