“Best Beach Ever!!!!”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have stayed at Catalonia no less than 10 times. The resort has changed considerably in that time and is getting ready to make changes again. Originally it was all Mexican style rooms. Then the renovated half the hotel to "privileged" section with updated rooms and baths, now I understand that they are changing some of the areas to accommodate 'time share' owners and the palapa on the beach with the suites will no longer be available for the general public to rent. (These are the best rooms).
The food is OK at the buffet but the specialty restaurants are far better.
The staff are wonderful and very friendly. Most of the guest are Europeans, and come in by charter for two weeks at a time. Americans are definitely the minority. The drinks are bar brand only, no name brand. So if you go for the beach this is the spot, if you are looking for luxury, may want to reconsider.

Room Tip: you definitely want the 'privileged section'
4  Thank hinesdar
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Playa Maroma

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We traveled to CPM for 8 days, May 27 to June 3, 2014.

There were five of us in the group, my husband and I who are in our 40s, a 21yr old and two 18 year olds. We booked through CheapCaribbean.com and had no issues other than the 4 days of rain.

Room - Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by the bell hop, who asked our names, whisked us over to the lobby bar to order our welcome drink and away we went to the privileged check in which is near the back of the resort, close to the pool and shops, and also close to the privileged buildings, 4, 5 and 6. We waited close to about 15 minutes to be checked in, which was not a big deal as it is a lovely room with cold air conditioning and cold drinks. Upon being checked in, we were given our bracelets, the resort map and a rundown of the restaurants and amenities. We had asked for building 6 (because that is what everyone does right?), and were given Building 4. Not a big deal, it is literally a sidewalk away from Building 6… I had requested adjoining rooms, one with a king and the other with 2 doubles and that is what I got. Was not too sure about the ground floor, but in the end I loved having the ground floor. No issues with bugs and the coati’s passed me by daily. The rooms were large, more modern and the air conditioning was cold and the showers were hot! The maid service was sporadic with times, but they did a fantastic job cleaning the mess we made and stocked the mini fridge daily.

Beach – The beach is fantastic, wonderful white sand and turquoise water. When coming down to the beach from the bar and pool, to the left is the privileged side (which is roped off with a sign) and has the palpalas for cover and to the right is the regular seating section with plenty of palm trees for shade. The beach was always clean or being cleaned. The animation crew do organize some beach games, but not that many in my opinion. The beach is relatively quiet. HINT: if you see the guys walking around picking up empty glasses, those are the waiters who will bring you more drinks!!! Pretty quick too if you tip like I do. Also, you do not have to play the towel game, there were plenty of chairs.

Pool – The pool is kidney shaped and has different depths, which I loved. Zero depth entry is great for the little ones to have a little independence, but I like deep water. Again, I believe the privileged side of the pool to be the side with the cushioned chairs and sun sails, close to the juice bar and hammocks. Those chairs do go fast. Drink service by the pool too, just ask the guy picking up the empty glasses. The creperie is located next to the pool/beach bar. They do get long lines, as they serve crepes, ice cream and shakes. I tried them once and they were good. I only spent one day at the pool and there was bingo, yoga, water aerobics, some crazy games and the music can get loud at certain times of the day.

Buffets – The main buffet at the front of the resort does have a privileged seating section. The food was okay. I mean, it is a buffet after all that is catering to a world of different tastes. It is the typical fare and usually the same fare at that. My kids loved the grilled pork chops at lunch. Breakfast was my favorite. Never had the buffet for dinner. ALSO, there is ANOTHER buffet near the pool for the privileged patrons. It is at the Tortuga restaurant. It is open for lunch and has a small lunch selection such as pizza, burgers, hot dogs, salads, lunchmeats and cheese, breads and a Panini press.

Main Restaurants – the Terrazza is the open for breakfast and lunch (menu) for the privileged patrons and overlooks the water and beach. Really, a good choice, but it does take forever! It is located over the pool/beach bar. At night, it is the Tapas Restaurant, which is included for one night for privileged and is an extra charge for non-privileged. It was delicious. We did not care for the Italian at all. We really enjoyed the Mexican and Steakhouse. The filet and rib eye were the favorites at the steakhouse. Everything at the Mexican was good too. Just remember, these ala carte restaurants take forever. In addition, if you have a larger party (5 and over), you may not be able to get into a restaurant as they do not take reservations and if they are full and have a waiting list, you do not get in. Plan accordingly.

Food was really my only issue. It was hit or miss, good or bad. I do not know if it was the chef that day or what, but some days everything was just horrible. If they could make the food more consistent and tasty, I think it would make a world of difference in the hotel ratings, as I loved everything else about the resort.

I did not see any shows. I never had any issues with drinks such as weird tasting, or running out of liquor. Try the tequila poppers in the main lobby.

Overall, I enjoyed my trip (other than the rain). This resort is beautiful and kept extremely clean at all hours. I have noticed a hello and smile goes a long way. I had no problems at all regarding rude people (European or American), everyone was extremely friendly and I believe I heard more English being spoken than any other language.

In addition, besides the coati running around, there is a monkey who hangs out sometimes near the main buffet and an iguana by the pool. Do not forget to visit the butterfly house next to the theater too!

If you have any questions, drop me a line.

Room Tip: Building 4 (Privileged) is right next to Building 6, close to the pool, stores and beach. We had ad...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank tivan4
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After reading some reviews we were a little worried about overbooking, rude guests and the food, we took the chance and booked Privileged Superior. Emailed Pilar to make sure we had a room, it was confirmed. Arrived at 11 am room was not ready, but that was expected. Samantha in the Priv. check in was quite nice to deal with and assured us everything would be good. She was right. We loved the place, the beach is really the best we have been to in Mexico. Room was dated but clean. Top shelf liquors were hard to come by but they did have some. Food was quite good in the sit down restaurants, no carving station at the buffet would have been nice, not much of a selection for meat and potatoes lovers. Steak restaurant had the best filet we've had in nine trips to Mexico, Italian restaurant was also very good. Priviledge guest also have Terrace restaurant for sit down breakfast and lunch, which we utilized every day. If they didn't have what you liked all you had to do was asked and they tried to accommodate. We did not go hungry at CPM. The staff are very friendly and if you are polite to them, they will go out of their way to please. As for the rude Europeans, the American guests were far worse. We loved the place and are planning to return again in the fall, granted it's not a 5 star but it is clean, friendly and fun. A great bang for your buck. If you're worried about overbooking please contact the hotel in advance and confirm they have you on the list, we did and had none of the problems others have had. Again a huge thank you to Samantha, Juana, Javier, Quierino, Juan, and all the other staff for having us as their guests and providing us with a great, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: We were in building 4, first floor and it was very convenient to the beach and restaurants.
8  Thank NK3
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in April. Perfect weather. The hotel is lovely. The grounds are beautiful. There are flowers and tropical plants everywhere. We stayed in the privileged area which is close to the beach and pool and you have access to a few more restaurants. It was well worth it in our opinion. Our room was very nice. Simple, but big enough and very clean. The little balconies overlooking the fountain and grounds was very relaxing. The food is okay. Some places better than others. The beach was amazing. Simply gorgeous. Calm, clear blue water. The sand is always cool and soft to the touch. The staff is very friendly and very hardworking. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank veronica3569
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I wanted a relaxing vacation so I traveled with my boyfriend to CPM from 5/18/14 - 5/24/14. It was a Jet Blue Package at an incredible price. It was a great trip and the hotel is just fine. We were Privilege and had Room 4217 and it was lovely. Even the coatis visited our section of the hotel and kinda looked for us in our goings and comings. Cheers to Patricia our housekeeper who kept things nice n orderly. The beach, although most days it was very windy, was fabulous: better than Holbox Island & Cancun. Oh! Better get a palapa early cause the sun is muy caliente! The bar had its ups n downs but mostly ups because Juan worked like a machine and kept things moving. We like to tip because everyone who served us worked hard and deserved it regardless of the all inclusive arrangement. It's just how we roll. The pool was strange with so many different depths but I'm really a beach person. The breakfast buffet was the best: rolls, sweets, fruits, juices, bacon, sausages etc and the omelette station was wonderful. Antonio managed our table area and he was so pleasant and chatty. Lunch and dinner was a challange but like someone else stated you certainly won't starve. My b/f wanted to share his lasagne receipt with the chief at the Italian restaurant because the lasagne was that bad!!! The food is the only negative I can say about CPM but I managed to gain 5 lbs. Go figure! Hope my review helps and we were so pleased we will return in 2015. Adios.

Room Tip: Seems to me if you cannot get the 6000 section 4000 section is just fine.
7  Thank Janis R
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Where do i begin. we went as a huge family. 25 of us, with 11 kids. overall, it was a great value. the beach was awesome, service was OK.

the beach:
one of the BEST beaches i have EVER been to. very clean water, clean white sand.. just perfect.
nothing bad to say here.

the pool:
a very nice pool design. great for kids, and adults. depth variation throughout the entire pool. bollards separate the depth areas. nice layout.
would like another pool area. with only 1 pool, i see it being packed in peak season.

the service:
what can i say? for budget vacation, i was satisfied. never an issue w/ not getting what we asked for. no complaints, really.

the food:
boooooo... i have to say, i was VERY disappointed with the food. we had days where we literally had NO meat selection. then they start grilling some chicken or something, and huge lines of people trying to get some meat! :O other days, it seemed ok.. but still, nothing what we're used to at all-inclusive resorts. had no SHRIMP!??!?! not a single day.. NONE! VERY upset w/ that.

the rooms:
no complaints here. we were privileged, so i think our rooms were 'updated' but far from modern. we didnt really care because they were pretty clean! the bathrooms are pretty old though (still clean though) and there are no tubs. just stand up showers.. not sure if thats the case for all rooms.
the housekeeping team was constantly slow. they speak ZERO english. so asking them to clean our room by 12-1p was always a challange. we had a 1.5 yr old, and wanted to come back from the beach into a clean room w/ fresh towels so we can wash and put kids down for nap. couple days, this didnt happen.
some other people in our party has the same issues. sometimes their room wasnt cleaned until 4-5pm.. thats ridiculous! so i'd say ASK ASK ASK, and tell them to clean your room ASAP, everytime you leave the room.

overall: pretty satisfied. again, the value was unbeatable. great beach, and clean. i would definitely do it again, even w/ the negatives that i pointed out!

to address some other reviews: YES.. lots of european people.. French population is majority. we didnt have a problem w/ them at all, though. yes, the staff speaks spanish and french mostly. so that could be an issue for some. we didnt care.. but during shows and presentations, english is at the end of their priority language.. so i guess, keep that in mind.

otherwise, go.. i recommend it..

Room Tip: if you can, upgrade to privileged.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ISEI3
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I want to apologize now if I misspell any words during this review.

It was advertised by Bookit.com that if you booked the privileged comfort room you would get a free day at the spa wet areas. according to the Hotel that is not accurate and they did not allow any access at all unless you where paying for the services. Also we arrived at 2:00pm maybe a little earlier on May 26,2014 we did not receive a room until 5:00pm and we where the last to do so others who arrived after had received their rooms prior to us. I didn't argue with the staff but then we go to eat the next day and we are told that we do not have bracelets and that with out them we would not be able to get into the restaurants again. Now I was very upset. I went to the front desk and the guy that was giving out the rooms the night before brushed me off to one of his other co-workers and said that he did give us bracelets we must have lost them. I did not appreciate that at all. Also there is no privileged seating area for their gusts or special extras. besides a discount at the stores located at the resort. I can say however that the remaining staff was very pleasant and welcoming and apologized for the mistakes of the rest of the crew members. So thank you Javier and Jasmine for all of your help during our stay you both where a pleasure to meet.

1  Thank Emily S
Enrico R, Gerente at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Emily,

We thank you very much for your review as it helps us to improve and grow. We are really sorry if we did not meet your expectations during your vacation.

We would like to clarify that the only servive included when being a Privileged guest is one acces to our wet áreas in the Spa. If you wish to use some other services it will be charged to the room. We apologise if you were informed otherwise. Please note that all Privileged guests have a special discount when using Spa services, as well as special reductions in our shops or lobster dinner.

Concerning your room we would like to apologise if your room delayed more tan expected. Check-in time is at 3pm.

Regarding all the Privileged benefits we have to say that you have a special area at our main restaurant, you are allowed to have breakfast and lunch a la carte at our Terrace Restaurant (only Privileged guests), you can order room service and other special benefits that were given to you in the check-in envelope such as minibar refilled everyday and for free or slippers and bathrobe. We would like to make it clear for the rest of users that we do not practise "false advertising" as you mention in your review and we invite everyone to live the experience in order to realise that our main purpose is to please every guest in the property.

We thank you very much again and hope that you give us another chance in the future. Please do not hesitate to send us an e-mail if you have special requirements.

Kind regards,

#101 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!