“"Beautiful beach and a friendly staff"”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Flower Mound, Texas
“"Beautiful beach and a friendly staff"”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in the Privledged section of the hotel for our 10 year anniversary, it also happened to be my birthday. We emailed the hotel about a month in advance to confirm our reservations and to request a top floor room in building 6 (closest to the beach) with a king bed. We received a top floor room with a king bed in building 2. This was fine as two out of three was not bad. We did notice doors with anniversary banners and heard guests discussing bottles of champagne left in their rooms to celebrate. Some reviews discussed birthday banners placed on their doors with surprise birthday cakes given, we however were never acknowledged for our anniversary or for my birthday. We did mention both the anniversary and by birthday at the time of booking as well as when we emailed the resort to confirm reservations. Ok no big deal but a Happy Anniversary acknowledgement would have been nice since we did purchase an anniversary stay at their resort and could have stayed anywhere.

Nothing at all bad to say about the beach! It was amazing and well kept. We walked down the beach for at least a mile both ways several mornings. Yes the reviews are correct when saying that you have to get up early (like 6 am) to get a chair with shade on the beach. There are plenty of chairs just not too many with shade and you do want shade if you plan to spend the day on the beach. We did not get a chair with shade on the first two days and all the sunscreen in the world could not keep us from getting burned.

Drinks were ok if you asked for an extra shot on the side and asked for a name brand liquor. The mixes were not good and adding the extra shot helped to curb the sweetness of whatever the drink mix was. One review said it taste like Tang was added to the drinks. Yes this is exactly what it tasted like. After a while we just learned to order beer, wine, or shots and that seemed to be the ticket. Although one night in the lobby a gentleman was serving fresh pineapple margaritas and these were amazing! Best drink I had the whole trip.

Food was ok as well. I am from Las Vegas and buffets are pretty much all the same anywhere you go. It was fine for whatever meal we ate at. The specialty restaraunts were fine except the baked potato you received with a steak in the steak house was half of a mini potato topped with this ranch type concoction that you could eat with one bite! Another night it was mashed potatoes served in a ramekin. One spoonfull and the mashed potato was gone! I get it the portions were supposed to be gourmet but it was silly. We ended up going into Playa Del Carmen that night and having food at a really authentic little place on 5th avenue. Come for the amazing beach not the food.

I also noticed some reviews said there was room service for privledged members. We never saw anything about being able to order room service on any of our paperwork that was given to us and there was no mention of room service in any literature in our room. Also beware that if you like to sit on your balcony and relax with a drink, don't get a room in building 2. Our balcony was big but it had plastic walmart chairs and a plastic table and faced the jungle. Other rooms had courtyard and fountain views with nice furniture on their patios. It seemed like the rooms with obscured views had the cheap balcony furniture while the rooms with open balcony views that everyone could see had nicer more comfortable furniture. AC was not good in our room but that only really mattered to us at night. It was frustrating that the maid service would always turn the air and ceiling fan off after they cleaned the room. We left it on because when we did come back to the room we were hoping to have it cooled down for the evening. But they always turned it off even though we left tips everyday.

Staff was very friendly and we never once passed a staff member and did not receive a hello or good morning. Claudia at Tio Pedro was exceptional as a hostess and we enjoyed our conversations with her and appreciated that she knew us by name after only two days at the resort. We ate the Mexican restaraunt 3 times because of her and because the food was best here. Service can be slow at all the restaraunts but what can you do. No one ever explained beach activities to us so we were unaware that you could use Kayaks on the beach. We also did not know that there was a schedule of activites going on near the ice machine on the other side of our building. This was the only activities posting we saw and found it by accident after being at the resort for 3 days.

It is a good place if you are on a budget, though it was slightly further from Playa Del Carmen than I expected and next time we will stay closer to Playa and spend a little more for better drinks, food, and amenities.

5 Thank Jennifergilbert1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The check in individual named Samantha was should I say less then friendly upon my wife and my arrival. Wanting to know more about our rooms she insisted for me to fill out some paperwork and then got upset and an attitude when I hesitated to fill it out. Our group was about 15 and while trying to eat at the steakhouse we experienced a rude captain with the name of Carlos. Our wait time to get in was over a hour and a half and when we complained about it he became ugly. One of our rooms had to be downgraded and the AC did not work properly in other rooms. Overall though the services were friendly and courteous and the food was about average. Beautiful beach and daily activities. Reasonable rates for a 3 star hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Umgoblue14
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have stayed at Catalonia no less than 10 times. The resort has changed considerably in that time and is getting ready to make changes again. Originally it was all Mexican style rooms. Then the renovated half the hotel to "privileged" section with updated rooms and baths, now I understand that they are changing some of the areas to accommodate 'time share' owners and the palapa on the beach with the suites will no longer be available for the general public to rent. (These are the best rooms).
The food is OK at the buffet but the specialty restaurants are far better.
The staff are wonderful and very friendly. Most of the guest are Europeans, and come in by charter for two weeks at a time. Americans are definitely the minority. The drinks are bar brand only, no name brand. So if you go for the beach this is the spot, if you are looking for luxury, may want to reconsider.

Room Tip: you definitely want the 'privileged section'
4 Thank hinesdar
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We traveled to CPM for 8 days, May 27 to June 3, 2014.

There were five of us in the group, my husband and I who are in our 40s, a 21yr old and two 18 year olds. We booked through CheapCaribbean.com and had no issues other than the 4 days of rain.

Room - Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by the bell hop, who asked our names, whisked us over to the lobby bar to order our welcome drink and away we went to the privileged check in which is near the back of the resort, close to the pool and shops, and also close to the privileged buildings, 4, 5 and 6. We waited close to about 15 minutes to be checked in, which was not a big deal as it is a lovely room with cold air conditioning and cold drinks. Upon being checked in, we were given our bracelets, the resort map and a rundown of the restaurants and amenities. We had asked for building 6 (because that is what everyone does right?), and were given Building 4. Not a big deal, it is literally a sidewalk away from Building 6… I had requested adjoining rooms, one with a king and the other with 2 doubles and that is what I got. Was not too sure about the ground floor, but in the end I loved having the ground floor. No issues with bugs and the coati’s passed me by daily. The rooms were large, more modern and the air conditioning was cold and the showers were hot! The maid service was sporadic with times, but they did a fantastic job cleaning the mess we made and stocked the mini fridge daily.

Beach – The beach is fantastic, wonderful white sand and turquoise water. When coming down to the beach from the bar and pool, to the left is the privileged side (which is roped off with a sign) and has the palpalas for cover and to the right is the regular seating section with plenty of palm trees for shade. The beach was always clean or being cleaned. The animation crew do organize some beach games, but not that many in my opinion. The beach is relatively quiet. HINT: if you see the guys walking around picking up empty glasses, those are the waiters who will bring you more drinks!!! Pretty quick too if you tip like I do. Also, you do not have to play the towel game, there were plenty of chairs.

Pool – The pool is kidney shaped and has different depths, which I loved. Zero depth entry is great for the little ones to have a little independence, but I like deep water. Again, I believe the privileged side of the pool to be the side with the cushioned chairs and sun sails, close to the juice bar and hammocks. Those chairs do go fast. Drink service by the pool too, just ask the guy picking up the empty glasses. The creperie is located next to the pool/beach bar. They do get long lines, as they serve crepes, ice cream and shakes. I tried them once and they were good. I only spent one day at the pool and there was bingo, yoga, water aerobics, some crazy games and the music can get loud at certain times of the day.

Buffets – The main buffet at the front of the resort does have a privileged seating section. The food was okay. I mean, it is a buffet after all that is catering to a world of different tastes. It is the typical fare and usually the same fare at that. My kids loved the grilled pork chops at lunch. Breakfast was my favorite. Never had the buffet for dinner. ALSO, there is ANOTHER buffet near the pool for the privileged patrons. It is at the Tortuga restaurant. It is open for lunch and has a small lunch selection such as pizza, burgers, hot dogs, salads, lunchmeats and cheese, breads and a Panini press.

Main Restaurants – the Terrazza is the open for breakfast and lunch (menu) for the privileged patrons and overlooks the water and beach. Really, a good choice, but it does take forever! It is located over the pool/beach bar. At night, it is the Tapas Restaurant, which is included for one night for privileged and is an extra charge for non-privileged. It was delicious. We did not care for the Italian at all. We really enjoyed the Mexican and Steakhouse. The filet and rib eye were the favorites at the steakhouse. Everything at the Mexican was good too. Just remember, these ala carte restaurants take forever. In addition, if you have a larger party (5 and over), you may not be able to get into a restaurant as they do not take reservations and if they are full and have a waiting list, you do not get in. Plan accordingly.

Food was really my only issue. It was hit or miss, good or bad. I do not know if it was the chef that day or what, but some days everything was just horrible. If they could make the food more consistent and tasty, I think it would make a world of difference in the hotel ratings, as I loved everything else about the resort.

I did not see any shows. I never had any issues with drinks such as weird tasting, or running out of liquor. Try the tequila poppers in the main lobby.

Overall, I enjoyed my trip (other than the rain). This resort is beautiful and kept extremely clean at all hours. I have noticed a hello and smile goes a long way. I had no problems at all regarding rude people (European or American), everyone was extremely friendly and I believe I heard more English being spoken than any other language.

In addition, besides the coati running around, there is a monkey who hangs out sometimes near the main buffet and an iguana by the pool. Do not forget to visit the butterfly house next to the theater too!

If you have any questions, drop me a line.

Room Tip: Building 4 (Privileged) is right next to Building 6, close to the pool, stores and beach. We had ad...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank tivan4
Northeast PA
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After reading some reviews we were a little worried about overbooking, rude guests and the food, we took the chance and booked Privileged Superior. Emailed Pilar to make sure we had a room, it was confirmed. Arrived at 11 am room was not ready, but that was expected. Samantha in the Priv. check in was quite nice to deal with and assured us everything would be good. She was right. We loved the place, the beach is really the best we have been to in Mexico. Room was dated but clean. Top shelf liquors were hard to come by but they did have some. Food was quite good in the sit down restaurants, no carving station at the buffet would have been nice, not much of a selection for meat and potatoes lovers. Steak restaurant had the best filet we've had in nine trips to Mexico, Italian restaurant was also very good. Priviledge guest also have Terrace restaurant for sit down breakfast and lunch, which we utilized every day. If they didn't have what you liked all you had to do was asked and they tried to accommodate. We did not go hungry at CPM. The staff are very friendly and if you are polite to them, they will go out of their way to please. As for the rude Europeans, the American guests were far worse. We loved the place and are planning to return again in the fall, granted it's not a 5 star but it is clean, friendly and fun. A great bang for your buck. If you're worried about overbooking please contact the hotel in advance and confirm they have you on the list, we did and had none of the problems others have had. Again a huge thank you to Samantha, Juana, Javier, Quierino, Juan, and all the other staff for having us as their guests and providing us with a great, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: We were in building 4, first floor and it was very convenient to the beach and restaurants.
8 Thank NK3
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in April. Perfect weather. The hotel is lovely. The grounds are beautiful. There are flowers and tropical plants everywhere. We stayed in the privileged area which is close to the beach and pool and you have access to a few more restaurants. It was well worth it in our opinion. Our room was very nice. Simple, but big enough and very clean. The little balconies overlooking the fountain and grounds was very relaxing. The food is okay. Some places better than others. The beach was amazing. Simply gorgeous. Calm, clear blue water. The sand is always cool and soft to the touch. The staff is very friendly and very hardworking. Good value for the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank veronica3569
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I wanted a relaxing vacation so I traveled with my boyfriend to CPM from 5/18/14 - 5/24/14. It was a Jet Blue Package at an incredible price. It was a great trip and the hotel is just fine. We were Privilege and had Room 4217 and it was lovely. Even the coatis visited our section of the hotel and kinda looked for us in our goings and comings. Cheers to Patricia our housekeeper who kept things nice n orderly. The beach, although most days it was very windy, was fabulous: better than Holbox Island & Cancun. Oh! Better get a palapa early cause the sun is muy caliente! The bar had its ups n downs but mostly ups because Juan worked like a machine and kept things moving. We like to tip because everyone who served us worked hard and deserved it regardless of the all inclusive arrangement. It's just how we roll. The pool was strange with so many different depths but I'm really a beach person. The breakfast buffet was the best: rolls, sweets, fruits, juices, bacon, sausages etc and the omelette station was wonderful. Antonio managed our table area and he was so pleasant and chatty. Lunch and dinner was a challange but like someone else stated you certainly won't starve. My b/f wanted to share his lasagne receipt with the chief at the Italian restaurant because the lasagne was that bad!!! The food is the only negative I can say about CPM but I managed to gain 5 lbs. Go figure! Hope my review helps and we were so pleased we will return in 2015. Adios.

Room Tip: Seems to me if you cannot get the 6000 section 4000 section is just fine.
7 Thank Janis R
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,874 reviews

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!