I never understood why people wrote long reviews until now. I'm going to try to keep it short. First off the weather was awesome for the 5 days we were here, it was 90 deg everyday.... never rained and wasn't too humid. Overall my trip was relaxing but there were a few disappointments.
1) Bartenders, bell-boy (ESP Mauricio he's awesome) and Wait-staff (ESP Manager,Joel) Fantastic and Great! They are friendly, welcoming and loves to converse with tourist.
2) Beautiful Beach: One of the best beaches I've ever been to; White Sand, turquoise blue ocean water and not too Salty.
3) Hotel Grounds: beautiful.. Feel like you're in a rain forest.
B) Rooms: decent and clean, I've been in better hotel rooms.
1) Front Desk ONLY (this doesn't include Bell-boys): language barrier is a problem. I Do not want to be insensitive; however if you are dealing with customers on a daily basis from different parts of the world you should be able to communicate in English. I personally felt like if you spoke Spanish they were more accommodating.
B) Front Desk Staff should take customer service classes. I had the pleasure of dealing with a Manager by the name of Piliar. She was not accommodating and rude.
(Caution: met a fellow guest who had their personal belongings stolen out of their room within the first 3hrs of arrival- he was told by her "that he has no proof that staff took his belongings. He wasn't reimbursed-- so use the room safe.) Within my first day there I saw several people complaining.
2) Food: SUCKS!!! No real authentic Mexican food. Food is bland!
FYI- if you are a foodie- this is NOT the place for you.... NO BUENO!! What is the point of paying for all-inclusive if you can not enjoy the food. I am Caribbean so I know good food
3) Pool: No swim-up bar. Only 1 bar by the pool and there is always
a LONG line to get a drink. The only other bar is in the Lobby. My personal experience Lobby bartenders were better- Luis and Auturo were the BEST, friendly and funny.
4) Entertainment Staff: WACK!
5) Wifi is Horrible. Also, Smokers.... they were EVERY WHERE by the pool, in the lobby, and on the beach. If you are a non-smoker it's unbearable. They should separate the two in the pool and beach area.
Ending this review with if you want a great beach come here. If you are into hotel service and great food. I would say pass!
FYI- although this is all-inclusive... Tip the staff (bell-boy, drivers, waiters etc) they work very hard to make sure your stay is comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma