I know many of you have thanked me for provided my opinion in past stays so I hope I do you justice with this review. I'm a world traveler and love to endulge in the great things life has to offer, however for this paticular vacation we had to budget a bit since we were just at Sandals Grenada a few weeks ago. Nonetheless, I truly believe in the phrase you get what you pay for...
Ok, if you are looking for a beautiful place to run your feet in the sand and swim in one of the clearest beach...then this place is for you. The beach has white sand and the staff here clean the seaweed every morning. Although I truly believe Turks and Caicos is by far my favorite...this beach comes somewhat close. If you rather the pool...beware of the warm water! Don't expect to cool off quickly...the water is very warm. Here are some pointers you might want to consider:
1. Request a room in the 500-600 building. Why you ask, because then you won't get exhausted walking the long (and I mean long) path from the 100-400 building to the beach and other restaurants. Althought the path brings you close to the jungle experienc...it's a mosquito war!
2. Spend a bit more and request to be a Priveledge guest. This will allow you the section on the beach that has the cabanas, drink servers, and many other perks including a stock mini bar in your room. Without a purple ban you will not be able to sit on the left side of the beach and are limited to towels.
3. Two restaurants are air conditioned. The rest are open air which is fine if your dining near the beach but if you stick to the buffet near the lobby...expect to sweat your calories off while you eat. I strongly recommend eating at the Terrace for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...here Javier and his staff will welcome you with open arms. Javier was one of the best workers we came across although all of them were hard workers and took pride in helping their guests. The quality of the food is not that great but again for the amount we paid...it did the job.
4. Pack your bathingsuit in your carry on...trust me! You will NOT get your room until after 3pm. Again, we expected this although when traveling we use Sandals and always have our room available. As a Priveledge guest you can hang out in their club house while you wait if you choose not to eat or enjoy the beach.
5. For you Spa lovers...save your money and take a ten minute walk to the right of the beach and visit the massage hut. Here the women will treat you to massage you will never forget for a great price...well I bargain but was sworn to keep the price a secret. I had an hour massage and was very pleased. Take a bottle of water with you, towel and make sure to be clean and dry...when you wake up you may need help walking back your so relaxed! (Laughing)
6. Buy your bottle of tequila at the airport on your way back if you have a nonstop flight. The prices are better then in the states.
Overall, if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the beautiful beach then this place is for you if you can overlook the attention to food quality at the buffet. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma