Everything at the hotel is as it says. The privileged membership is great for being able to enjoy the order from the menu restaurants. The employees are wonderful and are fun to get to know. The beach is beautiful. It was not clear to us that we would be able to SAIL as well as snorkel and kayak for no additional charge, so that was great to find out and experience. Tipping is not required, but is an appreciated gesture at the end of a day or the week.
The thing to beware is the "new" exclusive traveler's club" sales people. We were harassed when we first arrived and not allowed to check in. Monica kept asking us if we wanted a drink but didn't get one. Then she sat us down and once we realized she was not going to get us checked in to our room, she just kept going on and on about the sales pitch. So we signed up for the next day with words that it would only be 60-90 minutes of our time and it would not be pushy and we would in turn receive coupons for the spa as well as $100 off an excursion and 2 for one on dolphin trip.
The next morning we went before our kayak trip (at 10:30). We started at 9:05 so I was clear to say that we needed to be done in time for the kayaking (you can go any time but there are only a few days in the week that a guide takes you out to the reef, and this was the only scheduled time during our visit so we did not want to miss it). After touring the exclusive rooms and going to another location for the sales pitch, we were told we would receive our coupons promised. Because of past experience with sales pitches and the fact that they NEVER get done in the shorter time, I was very clear that we needed to be able to go kayaking at 10:30. The polish girl who was our tour guide must have got fed up with my insistence on the time, so sent us out by 10:10, but then would not keep the promise on the coupons. What an irritating waste of time.
Just avoid the sales people (in light shirts), and if they try to deter you, simply walk away. It is thousands of dollars to just have the ability to rent a room at a discount.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma