“paradise”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We just came back from paradise...the beach, the resort, the food , the weather...everything was great!!! I have to admit that there was seaweed at the beach(some days were better than others|) but that is just not controllable! It all depends on Mother Nature.
The staff was very friendly specially Luis and Arturo ! I would definitly go back

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Danie999
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Playa Maroma

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We get to the hotel after travelling all day and go to check in and reception tells us they don't have a room for us although it's been booked and paid for for two months and i have the emails with me proving this; they obviously had overbooked. They tell us they are going to put us in a room at the Catalonia Riviera Maya for the week and that it is only a 20 minute drive and that the beach there is just as nice as the beach at the Maroma (which was the reason we booked the Maroma). After arguing for over an hour, we finally agreed to go. Well, it turned out to be a forty minute drive and the beach there was the worst i've ever been to. It was so small and rocky. I cut my knee the first day there on the rocks - it bled all over, swelled up, and turned black and blue. There was so much blood I'm lucky a shark didn't make me their dinner. The room was decent, if you ignored the cockroaches. I wouldn't recommend eating the food, as my friend suffered some severe gastrointestinal issues after eating at the steakhouse- she didn't leave the bathroom for roughly 3 days. The worst part was that the Catalonia didn't even apologize for screwing us over. My advice is to avoid any Catalonia hotels like the plague. I'd sleep in a gutter before I'd book one of their rooms again. Tell everyone you know- I have.

Room Tip: Book a room somewhere else...unless you're a masochist
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
20  Thank Alta O
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went for the Beach and were not disappointed! The resort had high occupancy when we visited with many guests from Europe. We liked the opportunity to mix with people from other countries. English is not spoken very much by many of the staff, not even the simple words for drink but we managed and enjoyed trying to communicate with people. I include this point not as a negative but just to make people aware as this was slightly different than other Caribbean resorts we have visited.

Food was not very good. Okay in buffet but awful in specialty restaurants. The service at the beach for the drinks was terrible. There was not enough staff or liquor at this bar. The staff did their best but were put in an unfortunate position. Service was okay at the bar in the main lobby but was too far to run and grab a drink when by the beach. Rooms were okay but air conditioning was way too cold or we would just turn it off which was not ideal.

We paid for privileged upgrade but really did not see any benefit to it in the end. Check in was a nightmare....way too long and had to go to a non privilege room for first night then waiting again to switch rooms the next day. I think regular check in at the main lobby would have been much quicker and were would not have been all stuck in a small little room. We were supposed to have turn down service but it did not happen.

One of the bright spots was the musical entertainment that took place in the lobby. Unfortunately it was only for approximately one hour or so. Our favorite group was a husband and wife couple. The BEACH was awesome. I debated about giving this place a 4 rating but the food and service was not good enough and to do so. I know you pay for what you get and this was not too expensive so we adjusted our expectations based on that but this resort is still a 3 in my opinion as there were just too many negatives.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank L-n-L_Hat
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed in Catalonia the week of August 10th. I highly recommend this resort everything around Catalonia is so beautiful. ALL the employees make you feel special their customer service is an A+ I'll definitely go back next year, you actually are staying in the rain forest when you stay in Catalonia. Just try to avoid the sales people and their "Exclusive members" which is the exact same thing as a time share even though they say is not, other than that you will be in heaven.

Room Tip: Buy the Privileged rooms you will have more amenities than regular rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Nora19662014
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I've been here 5 days out of 14 so let me show you what I've noticed.
The beach:
Pros: the sand is white as can be and the water can help you cool down
Coins: there's these see weed type things all around this beach and they say its their for 4 months! I will admit that they worked hard as hell too get it off.
The pool:
Pros: there's plenty of depths so its good for all ages and they have a lot of games for all ages.
Cons: once you get too 4pm it becomes hot as hell I don't know why the do that but it is what it is.
Food:
Pros: steak house was very good I enjoyed the prawn sandwich and the rib eye, the Italian restaurant also served good food too. The tapa for lunch could be better but its alright
Cons: at the tapa our family and this other Hispanic family must've been there for 30 min and along comes this french family who cuts us both and said the had some ’lobster dinner' which was not right also the buffet for dinner is okay but really hot so I would suggest skip it unless you are in a rush. Last but not least if you don't make reservations for somewhere be ready too wait!
Bar:
Pros: the drinks usually come quick and the people are usually nice.
Cons: they try to give kids alcohol??
Check in:
Pros: they offer you drinks while you wait.
Cons: check in took forever and trust me when your in the lobby and everything you smell is smoke its not good although they did take our bags so that's good.
The people: a lot of French and Italians although I speak Spanish so its okay
The shows:
Pros: they are good with kids and make you laugh.
Cons: they ask you the weirdest questions like your first time having sex wtf.

***OVER ALL THIS HOTEL IS ALRIGHT I WOULD RECOMMEND IT BUT THERE ARE A FEW OBSTACLES**

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eamonantonio t
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in the Catalonia back in June 2014, we had a wonderful time, the food is very good in the buffet , and the dinner restaurants I prefer the Steaks, we had a rib eye and was surprised to be really good in taste and cook to perfection. As many other reviewers mention, the beach is gorgeous, white sands no rocks at all, will definetely come back. There was just an incident when we checked in they charged me 1 night extra that I had already cancelled, but a lady took care of that very nicely, I am just mentioning so you check your charges.

Room Tip: Choose Building 6
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank womenrule
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I, vacationed here with our 2 daughters (17 and 13 years old) the week of 8/2-8/9.
We arrived at 10 am on Saturday to be greeted by a staff member who took us directly to the lobby sitting area to push us to join them for a tour of upgraded "suites" for additional price. We decline due to already purchasing upgraded "privileged " rooms.

To break down the stay;

PROS; The beach! That's the only pro!

CONS; #1 pushy timeshare workers everywere!

#2 continuously serving my 13 year old who was gave a wristband with cartoon characters on it ALCHOL
#3 The service was horrible at all restaurants except steak house. Drinks would remain empty all the time, at one meal, my family and I were sitting at breakfast with our drinks empty for a good 20 mins, I asked the waitress if we could get a refill, 10 mins goes by and I look up and see her EATING HER BREAKFAST behind the counter that holds napkins, silverware, etc.
#4 HARDLY ANYONE SPEAKS ENGLISH! Seriously had a spa employee approach my husband and I at the beach, ask where we are from, and do we speak Spanish, we tell him Texas, he then goes into detail on how Mexico and Texas where once 1, and it would only be a matter of time before Mexico takes back over Texas and we will look up and be the only ones who didn't speak Spanish!
#5 The family friendly night entertainment? We went the second night, they picked 4 couple from audience, seperates spouses, asked them questions to see if they both had same answers. Thank goodness 1 couple of the 4 spoke English. One of the questions was to explain how the 1st time they had SEX!
#6 The entertainment crew that does activities by the pool,NEVER LOOKED AT NOR INTERACTED WITH OUR KIDS DUE TO OUR DAUGTHERS ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH! Bingo, pool games, music, and everything they said was said once in Spanish and then repeated in French!
#7 While sitting in the lobby one night, they had complimentary drinks on a table for the new ones coming in from airport. I seriously watched as one of the entertainment crew ladies names Camille, drinks from one of the glasses and THEN SPITS IT BACK INTO GLASS AND PUTS BACK SO SOMEONE ELSE COULD DRINK!! Disgusting!!
#8 This entire resort has smoking everywhere. Ashtrays were all over.
#9 the food was okay, fruit always had nats all over them the only good meal was the steak house.

** I DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING AT THIS RESORT!! I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL RESORTS AND THIS BYFAR THE WORST!! DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR $$$.

• Stayed: August 2014
#100 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!