We returned here for a family vacation, after our first trip in 2010, but this time with our son. The hotel and service remain the same, which is great. The rooms are comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated. I had emailed Catalonia after I made my reservations through cheapcaribbean.com, to make sure that we would be getting 2 beds in our room. After 2 emails, I was assured that we would and that they would be king size beds also.
Upon arrival in our room, the beds weren't king, they were queen. No problem, at least we have 2 beds. We noticed that our mini fridge wasn't cold; after playing around with the settings and the plug, my husband figured out that the plug was missing the ground wire. Also we had a ton of ants in the room, specifically around the sink, shower stall and large dresser (where the TV was). I advised the front desk about both things at least 3 times, however neither were addressed. So our mini (stocked) fridge was warm and my sons almond milk was never chilled. We did, however, receive 2 phone calls the 2nd day of our trip at 8a, asking us if we wanted to sit down to purchase some sort of timeshare. I disconnected our phone after that.
We were also under the assumption that we would be getting more tickets to their restaurants, since we had purchased more nights. We were only given 2. I had to ask the front desk, after re-reading my paperwork and they finally gave me one more ticket. The thing I noticed from the hotels restaurants was that they were charging for alcohol. The hotel itself is all inclusive, so why would guests be charged for alcohol at the restaurants where were included in the package? The steakhouse got both my husbands and my orders wrong, no one came to check to see how our meals were, we let them know after the fact when they came to take our half eaten meals away. Both my husband and I got sick from the food there.
We also noticed that service at the main buffet during breakfast time was very slow. We had to get up and get our own waters (which we didn't mind, but apparently they did). The food options for children is minimal, our son survived on pizza and watermelon. Also, on our first night there, we ordered room service, which was included in the 'privileged' area. The food arrived 45 mins after we ordered, the pizza dough was raw, my hamburger was burnt to a crisp and cold, as well as my husbands club sandwich. The creperie hut by the pool, now serves ice cream, milkshakes and crepes. The description for the milkshakes is that they are made with ice cream and served with whipped cream and a cherry. The milkshakes aren't made with ice cream, it's just flavored milk, no toppings either.
The first time we stayed here, we purchased items at the gift store with no issues regarding our USD; we were even charged for a phone call I had made to our airline, back in 2010 and paid with USD when checking out. This time, it was added to our room number and paid at the end...we also had to change our currency to Pesos (and overcharged for changing the currency). The kids club is only for kids over the age of 4. We noticed that the animation team only speaks to those that are European, single or young couples.
The good: the beach is beautiful, the pool is refreshing, the alcoholic drinks are great. It is an awesome place to collect precious memories.
We returned to this hotel, because we had such a great experience the first time we came in 2010, but are now reconsidering it for our next trip to this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma