“Beaches are Paradise!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beaches are Paradise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

We returned here for a family vacation, after our first trip in 2010, but this time with our son. The hotel and service remain the same, which is great. The rooms are comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated. I had emailed Catalonia after I made my reservations through cheapcaribbean.com, to make sure that we would be getting 2 beds in our room. After 2 emails, I was assured that we would and that they would be king size beds also.

Upon arrival in our room, the beds weren't king, they were queen. No problem, at least we have 2 beds. We noticed that our mini fridge wasn't cold; after playing around with the settings and the plug, my husband figured out that the plug was missing the ground wire. Also we had a ton of ants in the room, specifically around the sink, shower stall and large dresser (where the TV was). I advised the front desk about both things at least 3 times, however neither were addressed. So our mini (stocked) fridge was warm and my sons almond milk was never chilled. We did, however, receive 2 phone calls the 2nd day of our trip at 8a, asking us if we wanted to sit down to purchase some sort of timeshare. I disconnected our phone after that.

We were also under the assumption that we would be getting more tickets to their restaurants, since we had purchased more nights. We were only given 2. I had to ask the front desk, after re-reading my paperwork and they finally gave me one more ticket. The thing I noticed from the hotels restaurants was that they were charging for alcohol. The hotel itself is all inclusive, so why would guests be charged for alcohol at the restaurants where were included in the package? The steakhouse got both my husbands and my orders wrong, no one came to check to see how our meals were, we let them know after the fact when they came to take our half eaten meals away. Both my husband and I got sick from the food there.

We also noticed that service at the main buffet during breakfast time was very slow. We had to get up and get our own waters (which we didn't mind, but apparently they did). The food options for children is minimal, our son survived on pizza and watermelon. Also, on our first night there, we ordered room service, which was included in the 'privileged' area. The food arrived 45 mins after we ordered, the pizza dough was raw, my hamburger was burnt to a crisp and cold, as well as my husbands club sandwich. The creperie hut by the pool, now serves ice cream, milkshakes and crepes. The description for the milkshakes is that they are made with ice cream and served with whipped cream and a cherry. The milkshakes aren't made with ice cream, it's just flavored milk, no toppings either.

The first time we stayed here, we purchased items at the gift store with no issues regarding our USD; we were even charged for a phone call I had made to our airline, back in 2010 and paid with USD when checking out. This time, it was added to our room number and paid at the end...we also had to change our currency to Pesos (and overcharged for changing the currency). The kids club is only for kids over the age of 4. We noticed that the animation team only speaks to those that are European, single or young couples.

The good: the beach is beautiful, the pool is refreshing, the alcoholic drinks are great. It is an awesome place to collect precious memories.

We returned to this hotel, because we had such a great experience the first time we came in 2010, but are now reconsidering it for our next trip to this area.

Room Tip: try to make your reservations and get the privileged section. Rooms are closer to the pool, you don...
4 Thank T K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Short story:
A wonderful experience was horribly tainted by an unorganized and victimizing reservation incident.

Long story:
We actually had a great time, and my one star rating does not represent the majority or our experience. The reason I give such a dismal review is how poorly our reservations were handled and subsequently, how we were treated by the staff when trying to fix the problem.
My girlfriend and I purchased a 3 night all inclusive package on groupon. Upon our arrival on August 22nd Amauri at the reservations desk stated that our reservation was only for 2 nights. We quickly pulled out our groupon confirmation showing him that we had indeed paid for three nights and I assured him that I had made a reservation for the nights of August 22,23,24. He looked over everything, told us we were good to go and issued our meal ticket good for all three nights. We checked into our room, and enjoyed ourselves for the first 2 nights. On the morning of the 24th which was set to be our 3rd night at the hotel, we received a knock on the door at 9am from house keeping asking when we would be checking out. I told them that we were not leaving until the next day, and went out to enjoy the day on the beach.
When we arrived back to the room at 5pm, our key cards had been deactivated. We were told by reception that we were indeed supposed I leave that morning ad that we needed to get our things out of our room and leave. I showed the woman at reception our groupon voucher and receipt that we had paid for three nights and she stated that they weren't official documents so she couldn't accept them. She said that it wasn't her or the hotels problem, our reservation states that we only booked 2 nights and that if I couldn't prove that we'd booked 3 nights by getting ahold of groupon, we would need to gather our things and leave. We ended up asking for a manager at which point she told us it wouldn't help to speak with them because they'd tell us the same thing. When we insisted, she still wouldn't let us speak with a manager, but told us that we could stay for the night and that they would call the room at 9AM the next morning to sort things out.
This whole process took the better part of 2 hours to deal with before we were allowed back in our room. What she didn't tell us, was that she placed a $300 charge on our room. For the "extra" day.

9AM the next morning rolls around. No phone call. I'm hoping to head out to the beach and enjoy a couple hours of sun before we need to check out, but am stuck inside waiting for a call. 9:30 comes, still
Nothing. So I call and ask to speak with the manager, but they're not available so I'm told to wait by the phone and they'll call me back. After waiting until 11:30 and wasting my last precious hours of vacation time I finally walk down to the reception area where I speak with Amauri, the guy who initially checked us in. He apologizes for everything and sends me to the concierge to see if they can offer any compensation for our inconvince. After going through everything with the concierge, she sternly asks me what I want? I tell her I feel like we've been treated like criminals, had our precious time taken away due to their mistakes and ask her to allow us to stay another night to enjoy ourselves. She tells me to come back in an hour, I do, and she says that it wasn't their fault that someone in the reservations department messed up. And that they couldn't do anything for our lost time.
She did seem sincere in her apologies and seemed to want to help but her hands were tied.

I have never been made to feel such a villain by a hotel in my entire life. I've worked in the guest service industry for over 15 years and am sincerely disappointed in the way we were treated. My advice would be to look elsewhere when booking your hard earned vacation.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
25 Thank dcscott31
Enrico R, Gerente at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
We would like to thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. We deeply regret not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel. We do value and encourage guest feedback as it allows us to make improvements and helps us to maintain consistent high standards of customer service.
As a part of the procedures and policies in our hotel, while the registration process we confirm with our clients the number of nights staying in our hotel, the room category reserved and all the information required by our system in order to avoid any misunderstood with our guests. As you specified, you made the reservation by telephone, our reservation department confirmed your request and sent the confirmation by email.
The day you checked –in to our hotel, you showed us the confirmation you received by our reservation department where it was stated your stay for two nights.
According with our system your departure day was on Sunday, as we did not have any previous request to change the dates, it was necessary to contact you and verified the status of your reservation. When you showed up at front desk, our staff explained the entire situation. Unfortunately the confirmation you presented as a support was not a valid document, so we need to wait until the next day to verify with our reservation department. As we did not have any information we were not authorized to do any change in your reservation.
You asked us to extend your stay for one more night. We assisted you checking the information with our reservation department. We confirmed the availability but unfortunately you did not agree with the rate offered. We explained that we could not honor the same rate you paid originally, due that it was a special promotion.
We deeply regret the discomfort experienced during your stay.
Kind regards,

Management Catalonia Playa Maroma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We loved staying at the Catalonia Maroma. The all inclusive was great, the beach was fantastic and the staff was great. I had every intention of writing a 5/5 review and scolding people who complained about the staff not speaking English (hello! you are in Mexico! Can you imagine a Mexican coming into your work and complaining online that you do not speak Spanish?? unreal). The staff here is pretty awesome - most speak English... And obviously Spanish... and Italian and I have heard some French. Talk about accommodating!
The food is okay, but it is an all inclusive so you really don't have a choice and can't complain. The drinks are very tasty and the staff isn't afraid to give you an adequate amount of booze in each one. The daily activities, again, hats off to the staff, because there is always a satisfactory number of people involved and that takes lots of outgoing and committed employees to do, day after day.

Why the poor review? We stayed for 3 nights and paid through groupon... The minimum deal on groupon is for 3 nights. On our 2nd morning, we had a knock on the door from a housekeeper asking what time we were to leave... Excuse me? We told them we were staying another day and they left, and did not return. Our room was not swept, garbage not emptied etc. When we returned to our room later that day, our keys had stopped working - therefore we were locked out of our room (of course, it would start to pour at this point). I spent 2 hours at the front desk (wasting the time I spent to be here) trying to figure out why they thought we were leaving that day. Turns out whoever made the reservation messed up and only booked us for 2 nights, even though we had already paid for 3. The front desk told us there was nothing they can do because the reservation was only for 2 - get my drift here? We PAID for 3, I don't care what the reservation says, you have our money. Only when we asked for a manager were we given keys to return to our room, and no manager came to talk to us.

That night we decided we wanted to be simple the next day and ordered breakfast through room service. A half hour after it was supposed to arrive it hadn't and we were told that an order was not ever received... We believe this is due to the room not being officially registered to us anymore. We called the front desk to make sure the mix up had been taken care of (they said they would call in the morning and never did) and we were told they would call us back about it, and they never did. We had also asked to speak with a manager during this phone call and still did not get one. Our last morning at the resort, with a check out at noon, we tried to take care of this at 9am and at 11:30 had not been able to go out to enjoy the outdoors because of being in waiting for this phantom phone call.

We have at this point wasted multiple hours that we will not get back of our vacation and our money. I cannot find a place on their official website to write to a manager. I'm pretty disappointed that no one has been willing to help us out. I'm even more disappointed that they just didn't say "sorry for the mix up, please go enjoy your stay, we will take care of everything". Unreal.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the pool = less walk to the pool and beach. But if you eat at the buffet, its all th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Michelle S
We deeply regret the discomfort experienced during your stay.
Kind regards,
Managemente Catalonia Playa Maroma
Terrebonne, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We just came back from paradise...the beach, the resort, the food , the weather...everything was great!!! I have to admit that there was seaweed at the beach(some days were better than others|) but that is just not controllable! It all depends on Mother Nature.
The staff was very friendly specially Luis and Arturo ! I would definitly go back

6 Thank Danie999
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We get to the hotel after travelling all day and go to check in and reception tells us they don't have a room for us although it's been booked and paid for for two months and i have the emails with me proving this; they obviously had overbooked. They tell us they are going to put us in a room at the Catalonia Riviera Maya for the week and that it is only a 20 minute drive and that the beach there is just as nice as the beach at the Maroma (which was the reason we booked the Maroma). After arguing for over an hour, we finally agreed to go. Well, it turned out to be a forty minute drive and the beach there was the worst i've ever been to. It was so small and rocky. I cut my knee the first day there on the rocks - it bled all over, swelled up, and turned black and blue. There was so much blood I'm lucky a shark didn't make me their dinner. The room was decent, if you ignored the cockroaches. I wouldn't recommend eating the food, as my friend suffered some severe gastrointestinal issues after eating at the steakhouse- she didn't leave the bathroom for roughly 3 days. The worst part was that the Catalonia didn't even apologize for screwing us over. My advice is to avoid any Catalonia hotels like the plague. I'd sleep in a gutter before I'd book one of their rooms again. Tell everyone you know- I have.

Room Tip: Book a room somewhere else...unless you're a masochist
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
20 Thank Alta O
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went for the Beach and were not disappointed! The resort had high occupancy when we visited with many guests from Europe. We liked the opportunity to mix with people from other countries. English is not spoken very much by many of the staff, not even the simple words for drink but we managed and enjoyed trying to communicate with people. I include this point not as a negative but just to make people aware as this was slightly different than other Caribbean resorts we have visited.

Food was not very good. Okay in buffet but awful in specialty restaurants. The service at the beach for the drinks was terrible. There was not enough staff or liquor at this bar. The staff did their best but were put in an unfortunate position. Service was okay at the bar in the main lobby but was too far to run and grab a drink when by the beach. Rooms were okay but air conditioning was way too cold or we would just turn it off which was not ideal.

We paid for privileged upgrade but really did not see any benefit to it in the end. Check in was a nightmare....way too long and had to go to a non privilege room for first night then waiting again to switch rooms the next day. I think regular check in at the main lobby would have been much quicker and were would not have been all stuck in a small little room. We were supposed to have turn down service but it did not happen.

One of the bright spots was the musical entertainment that took place in the lobby. Unfortunately it was only for approximately one hour or so. Our favorite group was a husband and wife couple. The BEACH was awesome. I debated about giving this place a 4 rating but the food and service was not good enough and to do so. I know you pay for what you get and this was not too expensive so we adjusted our expectations based on that but this resort is still a 3 in my opinion as there were just too many negatives.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank L-n-L_Hat
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed in Catalonia the week of August 10th. I highly recommend this resort everything around Catalonia is so beautiful. ALL the employees make you feel special their customer service is an A+ I'll definitely go back next year, you actually are staying in the rain forest when you stay in Catalonia. Just try to avoid the sales people and their "Exclusive members" which is the exact same thing as a time share even though they say is not, other than that you will be in heaven.

Room Tip: Buy the Privileged rooms you will have more amenities than regular rooms.
9 Thank Nora19662014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,163 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,808 reviews

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!