“Best experience in Mexico so far!!!”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 February 2010

This is a wonderful hotel, especialy if you have young chldren. Our son is 2 years old and he had GREAT time here. He loved the pool, activities, food, and they even have a little playground/fun house for kids. We stayed a week and did not have bad experience. Food was delicious, service excellent, room clean and nice. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to relax and spend some wondeful time.
PS be prepared, many Europeans come here, which means speedos, topless and smoking around you. We are Europeans living in USA and felt like being home again

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank katarina71

Reviewed 8 February 2010

We picked this resort for its beach and it certainly lived up to its reputation! We had a great time - very relaxing and quiet, excellent food and extremely clean accomodations.
We had a basic room (green band) that was well appointed. The daily housekeeping service was incredible. Although our bed wasn't the most comfortable, the room was more than adequate. Great water pressure and mini bar stocked daily.
The staff is amazing, very friendly and hard working. Everyone was GREAT! Very tasty food, lots of variety. A la cartes were good too, really liked Toscana. Plenty of top shelf alcohol, just ask for it. Grounds were well kept, coatis everywhere and lots of birds chirping away. Shows every night @ 9:30ish and a disco that we never took part in. Also, a free shuttle to Playa del Carmen daily.
And the beach, truly amazing! Nice walks every day. Couldn't ask for too much more especilly for the price. Our rep said that eventually the entire resort will be fully renovated - that would truly make this resort incredible!
Beautiful beach, great food, very clean resort! We'd go back in a hearbeat, great holiday! PS - Might want to bring bug spray.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MommaNeedsATan
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Jan 15 – 29, 2010
HoneyMooners
Honeymoon Package
We upgraded to the HM package on day 3….it was worth every extra penny $50/day.
Included
Premium Room, Tub on the Deck, 3 housekeeping services daily, Pillow top bed, newer TV, Terry Cloth robes, Mini Bar restocked daily, Romantic Dinner, Massage, Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, Picture taken by the photography crew, HM Tshirts.
Basically, we had a love fest and it all renewed the woo!

Other Guests
OK we have enough friends in the real world, so we weren’t coming to Mexico to make a bunch of new friends. I did find the other guests to be respectful and never encountered any mistreatment from any other cultures. Honestly, you need to get out more if you can’t handle the Europeans.

Beach
This is a beautiful beach; the sand is like a fine powder so when the wind kicks up you can still handle it. I spent a lot of time beach hunting and I would rate this in my top 10 of beaches (Whit Sundays & Cable Beach rank 1 & 2)
There is a large amount of Beach Loungers to choose from, so it’s not necessary to pick you chair at 8am, there was never more tanners than chairs. We spent about 89% of our time at the beach, even on the windy days, and we miss every moment. The swimming area is great here to, there are no rocks or anything to hurt the feet, some days the waves were perfect for body surfing and other days you could just float with the fishes. It was great that you could walk right in and not have to deal with a large drop off, so get your shoulders in and enjoy.
Snorkeling, there is none right off the beach, I would suggest walking south for about 15mins and there seems to be some snorkeling areas that way. To be honest I am happy that there was no snorkeling in the swimming area; we didn’t have to worry about getting a fin to the face. There are little fishes in the swimming area, they are harmless and love to be fed a little bread.

Bars
I get the feeling that this hotel understand that it doesn’t want stupid amounts of drunken idiots running around. They don’t over pour and there isn’t an obscene amount of bars available. Personally it made me happy not to see a large amount of drunks, and not having a swim up bar is great….not peeing in the pool is even better.
The lobby bar, has live music in the evenings and we noticed this is where the smokers hang out. Fine by us, as we don’t smoke so we headed to the other end of the resort.
We didn’t go to the evening activities or the Disco.

Was really great, I would say 97% of our meals were awesome. My husband was full for the first time in his life.

Main Buffet
Breakfast – Fresh breads, juices, fruit, and pastries available daily. There is an egg station where you can get eggs any style done up. I hear the omelets were very tasty. Always bacon or sausage, hash browns and an assorted supply of Mexican yummies along with cold cuts, cereals and hot chocolate.
Lunch & Dinner – Excellent selection of salads, fresh fruits, fish, meats (turkey = OMG so good, Veal, Roast Chicken, Roasted Ham etc), again cold cuts, and fresh soup X 4 daily, there is also a Pasta and Pizza station. I really loved the olive oil station, so much to pick from. There are great deserts and the staff is constantly tiding and replacing the food selections.
Breakfast Lunch serving all stars = Rodrigo & Roberto, by day 2 they knew are names and what we liked to drink. Café con Leche is great and they serve the milk warm.

Al a Carte Restaurants
There are 4 – Mediterranean, La Tortuga (grill), Tio Pedro (mexican), and The Terrace restaurant (extra $50 for Lobster meal). We ate all 4 restuarnts and out of 14 nights we had 8 nights in these restaurants. No reservations needed, but they have 2 sittings as they get busy fast – 7pm and 8:30pm

Mediterranean – Great ambience and the Service was incredible. I would recommend the Gnocchi for the pasta selection.

Grill Restaurant – Meh, we went twice as we think second chances are important, we were sadly disappointed. Don’t get the pork ribs – very fatty. I would recommend the Caesar salad con pollo (hold the anchovy sauce), the steak wasn’t so bad. The service was terrible tho, and it’s outdoor seating so sometimes you get to eat other peoples blowing cigarette smoke.

Tio Pedro – Our fave….by far! The Service was great, thanks to Sara the hostess, she was great. Highly recommend the soups – especially the lime, and for entrée the Shrimp with tequila reduction, very very good. They make such to give you lots of chips and 3 choices of Salsa – Salsa Verde is great at this hotel.

The Terrace – We had our Romantica dinner here (included in our HM upgrade), we had the beef choice. This was so incredible and romantic as it’s a terrace overlooking the beach. The dinner was so great…I could not believe the quality of the salad and main course. The meat was the best we’ve eaten in a long time (we are from AB and have a bbq) they serve 2 large fillet pcs to both of us; we are still talking about the great steak.

Staff/Service
I admit I’m a huge snob when it comes to service, as I work in the hospitality industry and have very high expectations. I also believe you receive what you give, so it’s important that you learn a couple of Spanish phrases, this way you will be able to communicate with all levels of staff. If you can’t learn to say hello, goodbye, excuse me, good morning, evening….then you are stupid and should be spanked from not learning some of the language.
They service here is impeccable, the Front Desk staff – mainly Ali, and that Cheeky Roberto are really great. They helped us so much and from what I gather there is an excellent level of communication amongst the FD staff, as we had a couple of requests and everyone was able to help us, even when the Agents we were dealing with went off shift.
All the staff, say hello to you from the busboys to the managers, and I think that it’s a gift that this happens. You can see they are proud of the property.
Also there are 4 languages spoken at the Hotel – Spanish, Italian, French and English. For the most part all are spoken well, and the staff do their utmost to understand your needs.

Grounds
Constantly being taken care of, there wasn’t a huge amount of flowers as it is winter at the moment. However, the grounds are impeccable and the jungle feel of the area is so cozy. I loved the bushes of butterflies and of course the cute Coati’s~!

Tours & Trips
We’ve both been to Mexico several times, so we didn’t do any tours. We did take advantage of the free shuttle to Playa one day. However, we stayed mostly at the resort as we came for the beach time.

Wrist bands.
Green/Orange/Yellow/Grey
We started as Green – We got great service, and no one ignored us. We were placed in a basic room in the 5000 block, close to the beach. The bed was fine, and if you’ve stayed at other resorts in Mexico you’ll know sometimes you feel like you are sleeping on a concrete slab….you take a look and guess what you are! This bed was not bad at all; again we might have been so tired from all the sun, sand and fun.

We upgraded to the HM package and became a grey wrist band. No change in any service, we did get 10% off on a massage package tho.

There is Kite Surfing available at the Dive shop - About $600USD for 6 hours, totally worth it!

11  Thank LiLuLovesTravel
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We just returned from our 7 night stay at the Catalonia Playa Maroma! I had shopped resorts and pricing very hard before we left. My one major requirement: No sand bags on the beach. I've noticed many resorts in this area of Mexico have ugly sand bags which I did not want to be looking at while enjoying a day on the beach. Maroma Beach is rated one of the top 10 beaches in the worlds, and I can see why. It was beautiful! Although it was a red flag for swimming every day we still ventured in for some swimming. How can you not? It's so warm! A little upsetting we weren't able to snorkel right from the resort, but I'd imagine with that rough surf it wouldn't matter which resort you stayed at.

The resort is about 30 minutes from the airport on a very direct route. We had booked a privelaged room and was whisked away as soon as we arrived to a special check in location. They took care of our luggage as well. We were brought to our room in the 6000 block, which other reviews have commented are closest to the beach, pool, and a la carte restaurants (Italian, Mexican, Steak house, & during the day the snack bar). The buffet restaurant that served breakfast, lunch, and dinner was all the way at the other end of the resort. The walk wasn't too bad though, and the grounds were beautiful. I loved spotting the wildlife along the way. I'm not sure how we would have felt if we were in rooms that were at the opposite end of the resort, because our room was so close to the beach it was easy access if we needed to get back to our room.

The food here was awesome! We made an entire lunch every day out of what they considered to be a "snack bar". Their snack bar was a serve yourself of hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos and all the fixings to go with it, grilled chicken, french fries, pizza, chicken nuggests, cold cuts, etc. The serve yourself beer and wine was also a plus! You could sit down and enjour your "snack" or take it with you. If you chose to sit and eat it was full linen and staff waiting on you. Order drinks, etc. Anything you wanted they brought to you!

That goes along with the entire resort. The staff is so awesome!! Everyone you pass says hello and everyone is willing to help. The drink service on the beach brought by Enrique was certainly over a plus. We tipped and asked him to bring two drinks at a time. He thought this was funny and had no problem doing so. I did take not that service was equal for those who tipped and those who did not, which is comforting since the tipping is included in the price of your stay.

The rooms were nice. I'd say the bathroom toilet/shower area could have used an upgrade but it was clean and that's all that matters.Speaking of clean, room service came in the morning, and then mini bar service came in the afternoon. Then at about 10pm our first night we got a knock on the door for "towel service". We thought it was sort of strange, but come to find out this was turn down service. They would turn down the bed and refresh your towels. How great is it to have fresh towels in the morning AND and night? We never had to ask housekeeping for anything. Water, towels, soda, and beer were always replenished without asking.

We tried all of the restaurants. We didn't really care for the Italian one, but really loved the Steak House. Also, Mexican night at the buffett was awesome. If you are expecting your "American" mexican food of nachos and such, you won't find them here. This is authentic Mexican food! Plus there is always pasta, pizza, cold cuts, breads, etc for those who don't want to try something new. I can't imagine not being able to find something to eat at this resort.

Take advantage of the free shuttle service to Playa Del Carmen. You need to make a reservation the day prior though. The morning shuttle leaves at 10am and returns at 5 to pick you up. We didn't think we'd want to stay that long, but we ended up enjoying it so much we stayed until 5pm. The shuttle bus is a touring bus with a bathroom. Grab a frozen margarita for your ride home, sit back and enjoy! At the advice of another TA review we stopped that Tequilla Town. Largest selection of tequilla and the beers are only $1.00 USD!!! Even if you aren't a huge tequilla fan they have something you will like. I tried the chocolate tequilla....yummy!!! All samples are free!

We also took a tour through Best Day Travel to Tulum. It was a small tour of 12 people which was nice because the tour guide was able to get to know each of us and we were able to hear everything he had to say. A beautiful site to see if it's your first time to Mexico. We liked that the tour didn't take up our entire day and we still had beach time later in the afternoon.

I'm very happy we made the choice to stay at this resort. Our travel agent warned us this wasn't the 5 star she typically books, but I'd say the service and food was 5 star all the way. The hotel was clean, staff friendly, and plenty of great food to choose from. Can you ask for anything more?

We are considering going back and would stay here or at another Catalonia property.

I read so many reviews before we left and I hope my review has helped others trying to decide on resorts.

20  Thank lvsvacations
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Just went from Jan 21-25. This resort is great. Been to several much higher priced resorts in Mexico that weren't as good.

The good:

Beach. The beach is amazing and a ton of lounge chairs and room for everyone. No rocks and the water is perfect. Bar is close to the beach and there's a snack bar close with nachos, hot dogs, etc. Nothing special there, just convenient.

Food. The buffet is great. We actually never got around to any of the others due to going to Playa two nights but there were really no complaints with the buffet.

Bars. Not as many bars as some places but they where well stocked with pretty decent liquors and the staff is pretty friendly and fast.

Rooms. Really liked the room. Seen complaints about the beds but ours was great. Maybe room to room they're different, not sure. The main thing to keep in mind is that you have to keep the sliding door and windows shut and locked or the a/c won't work. The first night I thought it had a problem, but I just didn't have the sliding door shut well. The balconys are really nice too.

The bad: My only complaint is that the europeans can be slightly rude (cut in lines, not too friendly, etc.) Not a huge deal though, guess just different cultures.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to come back here.

5  Thank ShawnLang
Reviewed 28 January 2010

The reception staff are not friendly or helpful, they leave all the pr stuff to the tour directors who are only there certain hours of the day, and they are only interested in selling excursions. I've done a fair amount of travelling so I know what to expect...but we spent 2 weeks at Catalonia Playa Maroma and I did not have one decent nights sleep for my entire vacation. The bed was hard as a rock, the mattress old and squeaky and old and the linen was horrible. The furniture was old and in disrepair. the bathroom tiles were poorly repaired, loose and moldy. there was actually an old shower curtain seperating the sink area from the bed...no privacy and sleazy. tWhen I asked for a different room they said it was standard and we woud be required to pay an additional fee to upgrade. We felt that our price was already a fair price, but after the vacation I think we actually paid too much.
They allow venders on the property so en route to the dining area we had to pass them andthey were rude and aggressive, "hey lady, my prices are better than wallmart". It was not conducive to relaxation and harrassement free resort that I soarly needed.

Food...they served pork for the main meat 10 days out of 14, no seafood and the same local fish served differently every day. Not impressed with the food. The servers were very good and friendly.

The entertainment and leisure activities are well organized and there is something to do for all ages. The beach is the best. Transportation back and forth to Playa del Carmen is well organized and comfortable. the pool was very nice but they don't have a seperate area for adults only...very noisy with kids.

2  Thank joeycox
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Highs
-Wonderful food (especially Italian)
-Beautiful room
-Free shuttles into Playa Del Carmen
-Playful, helpful staff
-Perfect beach
-Entertainment every night
-Diversity of guests (not just Americans)
-Amazing massage at spa (and reasonably priced $65)
Lows
-No outdoor hot tub (and indoor one is small and bathtub warm). We asked them to turn up the heat and they said they couldn't.
-Pool cold
-Not a lot of alcohol in mixed drinks

2  Thank sas720
#100 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!