“Definitely NOT a 4 star hotel! More like a 3 or less.”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal, Quebec
“Definitely NOT a 4 star hotel! More like a 3 or less.”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I'm truly surprised by all of the positive reviews for this resort on Tripadvisor - which one was of the reasons why I booked it. The photos they show you on the net and in travel brochures for this property are truly NOT accurate. They show you the renovated Privileged rooms and Honeymoon suite which you have to pay an upgrade to stay in. The standard room is more like a cell. The furniture is old, run down and the beds are like a sheet of plywood with a thin patio cushion like mattress. We arrived at the hotel at 2 am and our A/C rumbled and rattled so loud that you couldn't even hear the voice of the person in the bed next to you. My husband was so frustrated that he went to reception to see if we could switch rooms and they told us they would only know in the morning. So we had to go back at 8, then 9 and again at 10 and they said that a Privileged room would be made available that afternoon at an upgrade price of $50 pp per night. They actually contemplated charging us $50 addt'l. for each of our kids - who are only 3 and 5 yrs of age. This was ludicrous considering that the Nolitours brochure and their website claim that kids stay free! Finally they waived the fee for the children - gee thanks! Anyways, the upgraded room was renovated and much more pleasant however the bathroom was still old, damp and seriously run down. It's almost as though this resort started a few renovations and then stopped but still went ahead and advertised itself as a 4 star for the small number of rooms that it had updated. This is inaccurate and not a fair representation to the traveller. The beach however is beautiful and the food is good.

The tapas bar and La Toscane are both really nice and tasty. They say the a la carte meals are unlimited however once you get there you have a specified number of meal tickets that you can use - 1 per restaurant. Note: The Tapas restaurant costs addt'l. $ if you order the seafood.

We also used the spa services while we were there and the $ for what you get is lacking here too. They have this one poor esthetician braiding hair, doing manicures and pedicures, etc., so whatever time they give you as an appt. factor in it being delayed - in our case - by 2 hrs. Our 5pm appt. quickly became a 7pm appt. Not ideal. And the quality of the work is rushed - again, not the esthetician's fault but still worth mentioning.

If you're looking for a very basic hotel, this one is fine, however don't be fooled into thinking that you're going to be staying at a 4 star. The rating needs to be adjusted until the renos are complete. If you still do decide to stay there please heed my warnings and spring for the Privilege upgrade or else you will most likely be disappointed. Buildings 6000 and 4000 are the two that have been renovated so push to stay in one of these. We also met a couple staying in the honeymoon suite which has a jacuzzi on the terrace and apparently their room was very nice as well, however with all of these upgrades, means additional $$$ so it might be best to just book another hotel. I know we would if given the chance to do it over again. They do however offer a free shuttle bus to and from Playa del Carmen - which saves you the $20 taxi ride.

Oh and be forewarned that everyday at 6pm, the maintenance staff sprays the premises of the property for mosquitos. The product used smells so foul and the chemicals are so toxic that the person spraying wears a mask and protective gear, however the guests are left to their own defenses as the fumes envelope not only the lobby lounge but also the open air buffet - imagine all of those chemicals settling on the food and dishes you're about to eat! It's ridiculous. You literally see all of the hotel guests covering their mouths and faces with scarves and towels as he goes by. It's really quite disturbing. And even despite this toxic ritual spraying there are still a number of mosquitos on site! I would recommend bringing some insect repellent - especailly if you have kids.

Another point worth mentioning, especially if booking with Nolitours - the destination representatives are not helpful. They are merely there to sell their excursions - even though they say they're not. When we asked for help with our room issues and luggage lock-up, she just dismissed us saying "Sorry that's standard - it's like that everywhere." We dealt with all of our issues ourself. I disagree with her remark that this is standard practice. I've been to Caribbean at least 7 times in the past and never had these issues - I even stayed at resorts with a lower rating and was more satisfied than this. In the past, we had either arranged the booking ourselves or used TMR - Les Tours Mont Royal and even on site, the destination reps were much more helpful. Sadly, this young woman was useless unless you wanted to book a day trip on one of her tours.

Also, if given the chance and you purchase this hotel as a package with Canjet airlines, try to also find out if another airline is available. Canjet was awful - no comfort, no frills and an apple, ham & cheese on a hard bun for the meal. Just say no to their meal - a total waste. Also, even though our flight was at 2 am that on the night of departure and checkout was before noon, the hotel does not offer a locked room to store the luggage. Instead all bags must be left in plain view at the main entrance. Nothing was stolen - but food for thought in case you do have valuables.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank globalgirl_7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Southern Alberta
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We went at the end of February and although getting out of the airport (even at midnight) took hours when we arrived at the Catalonia Playa Maroma the check-in was super fast and friendly. The resort is nice and relatively quite (not too much of a party place, except for the disco and with some activities) which is what we were going for. The hotel staff (especially the reception and entertainment staff) is amazing in that they all speak four languages (Spanish, French, Italian and English). The Entertainment staff seemed tyerless and always did everything first in Spanish, then French, then Italian and English (although English was a little less proficient). The other vacationers were mainly parisian French and Italian. The lobby is very large with numerous seating areas and access to all other parts (they even have nightly entertainment (singers, small bands, piano, etc... which works well with the bar there and to jazz everyone up for the nightly entertainment and disco). There is a long pathway (through jungle with lovely lighting and music) from the lobby to the beach and most everything branches off that pathway. You can't even see the bldgs the rooms are in unless you go down the other paths. All the rooms we saw had good views either of the internal courtyard (with fountain) for each bldg or the jungle. We stayed in the 3000 bldg and although our room was the Standard it was clean and quite spacious for two people. The resort shops had good prices (especially for a resort) and great variety. We hit the spa a couple times and can't help but rave about the hot stone massage...unbelievably awesome!
Can't say enough about the beach except that it's amazing. White powdery sand with beautiful multi-hued blue water, warm...no real problems finding beach chairs either (even shaded ones). The pool is huge and has lots of different parts to it and again lots of chairs. The food was good and we tried out the Mexican and Italian ala cartes. The only comment on those is that because there are no reservations required the wait can get long if you've just missed a seating change. Buffet had good food and great variety, no issues with the drinking water anywhere on the resort. Can't think of anything bad here except that our weather was 50/50 with 3 days sun, 1 day rain and 2 half days of rain but you can't predict that! I'm recommending this to anyone and everyone I see, it's pretty much just as you see in the pictures online.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank motiv8dmom
Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Catalonia Playa Maroma, Feb. 2010
We stayed 12 nights, returning on Feb. 28. The resort was pretty much as we expected from reading reviews here on TA. We booked this resort because of the great comments about the beach and I do have to say that the beach and water here was the best we’ve encountered in this area of Mexico. The beach is flat, with soft, white sand. The water is clear, the bottom smooth, no sudden drops, and even on the windiest of days, it was easy to enter and exit the water. Plenty of room to walk in either direction and wide enough so you didn’t feel too crowded even when the beach was packed on some days.
I'll get the "bad" out of the way first.
We booked a privileged room to insure a coffee maker and mini fridge. We knew even some of the remodeled rooms did not have updated bathrooms, but (and here is my main complaint), the ceiling over the shower had a large amount of black mold in one section. I just felt there was no excuse for that. I suppose we could have protested and asked for a room change, but I honestly did not notice the mold the first day due to extreme travel fatigue, so by the time I did see it, I had already unpacked and had everything put in place. We asked that the ceiling be cleaned and someone did come to do it, but within a few days, it was coming back again. As everyone here states, you’re not in your room that long, so we decided to just put up with it and figured it wouldn’t hurt us for the short time we’d be there. I do not understand why they went through the trouble of remodeling the room without updating the bathroom at the same time. So take a look at the bathroom ceiling before you settle on your room.

We had a few other maintenance issues, but all were quickly taken care of. The A/C was not working, even though the patio door was shut, it wouldn’t lock, so that may have had something to do with it. Someone came to fix that the first day. A few light bulbs burned out after a few days, and that was also taken care of. The other problem I found was very poor lighting in the room. Even with all the lights on and the patio door curtains pulled back, it was a little dark in the room and very hard to see at night if you like to read. They had little lights on flexible fixtures on each side of the bed, but it had a beam the size of a penlight, lol, so that really didn’t help unless you could aim it exactly on what you were reading. So, other than these little things and the bad weather (I realize no fault of the resort), everything else was great.

You arrive to an open air lobby which has a brick path leading down to the beach. Three buildings on each side of this path have the rooms. We were in 6111, the back side of the one closest to the beach, first floor. There really were no ocean view rooms here, but they did have suites ocean front. We were told the 2nd floor suite would be $95 more a day on top of what we paid for a privileged room and the first floor would have been $125 more. Did not seem worth it to me. It was a long walk from our room to the lobby and buffet, but if you’ve ever been to the Iberostar properties in Playa Parisio, this walk was nothing.

Between buildings 5 and 6 is a small shopping area. There was a jewelry store, hairdresser, convenience store, clothing boutique, coffee/liquor store, Catalonia’s brand clothing store, the gym, the spa and a photography studio where you could purchase the photos they take of everyone, everywhere, all day long.

Just past this area is the kids’ club, the pool, the towel hut, and then a little further on to the right, the three a la carte restaurants with the center one serving as a lunch buffet area. After all that, the beach. There are rows of shaded areas covering the chairs, but most people pulled them down towards the water. It wasn’t hot here this trip, and we had a lot of wind during our stay, so we really didn’t’ need the shaded areas. Although there were more clouds than sun, even with sunscreen, we still managed to get a decent tan so no one back here really believes us when we told them how cold it was. They had plenty of activities for adults as well as children down at the beach. A lot of resorts we’ve been to have most of their activities by the pool and since we stay on the beach, it was a nice change to be able to watch everyone having so much fun. It was also nice that they had some activities that allowed adults and children to participate in together. There was one waiter for the entire beach area. I don’t know how he did it, but he was very efficient and very friendly. We always tip and my husband always has to ask if they are allowed to keep their tips. This man said they had to share them, but he said this with a smile, “share them with our friends” and then he added that we didn‘t have to tip at all because it is “all included“. We assured him he deserved it and we didn’t mind at all.

What else can I tell you? The safety deposit box is new, digital, and is bolted down (read somewhere here that one resort just had them sitting on a shelf). Internet free in rooms, but of course not needed in our case. The mini bar service in the privileged rooms had water, beer and soda. I requested more beer and less soda, request granted. For anyone bringing your own coffee supplies, they have a 4 cup coffee maker that uses cone shaped filters. I had the round ones which usually can be folded to make do, but for some reason this coffee pot kept clogging with them, so we started using their coffee, and it wasn’t bad. They leave two bags of coffee and two bags of accompaniments each day. They supplied soap, shower gel, body lotion and shampoo. Plenty of towels and the beach towels were also in the room upon arrival, no towel cards. Around 8:30pm, someone would knock to see if you needed water or anything else. A few nights we also had turn down service, but I guess that depends on what time you come and go to eat and if someone is in the vicinity while you are gone. Of course anything you need extra or didn’t get, a call to the lobby and they’d bring it to you. This was one of the most accommodating resorts we’ve been to when it comes to things like this. You usually have to wait forever or no one shows up at all when you call for something.

Activities (of which we took no part, lol): archery, tennis, kayaks, ping pong, and catamarans. We did play pool. Only one table and no chalk, so if you’re a real pool player, throw some in your luggage. Nightly entertainment at 9:30pm (again, sorry, never made it to one show). I think it would be nice if they had some type of live entertainment in the lobby somewhere between 6 and 9:30 for those of us who can’t stay awake any later, lol.

One thing that did surprise me, because I didn’t see it mentioned here, the rooms are all supposed to be no smoking. When we booked, through Expedia, their website said smoking or non-smoking rooms. We requested a smoking room (sorry for those that offends). When we got to our building a sign said non smoking. I asked the bellboy and he said you can smoke. I called the lobby for ashtrays and they said they’d send some down. They never did. I mentioned it to the woman in the Privileged reception office and she said there was no smoking in any of the rooms, but obviously they don’t enforce it. I don’t think that is quite right for those of you who don’t smoke, and it’s not right for us that do to feel we booked a place that allows smoking and then find out you shouldn’t. It wasn’t a big deal, but just wanted to give you a heads up in case you have a problem.

Sorry, this got longer than I intended and I may have repeated a lot you already know. I think you will be pleased with this resort if you aren’t expecting new and up to date accommodations. Cleanliness and good customer service far outweighs that in my opinion. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

12 Thank mo32
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed 2 March 2010

There are a few critical reason we won't go back. First, I'll say people who are staying at this resort as their first stay in this area are probably much less critical than we are. We've stayed in others that far surpass this one. Second, as I understand it they recently bought this resort and are making changes/renovations so perhaps it will get better.
First thing we noticed was the front desk staff didn't seem very cordial or accomodating. We went there several times for different things and never got the impression they wanted to really help. An example of this is; we were in an older room that hasn't been remodeled. It was really rough (I'll get back to that). We were told by many people they have rooms that are remodeled and very nice. We were very interested to see one, even if it was in the process of being cleaned. We've not looking for the cleanliness of the rooms...after being there for a week we know how well they clean. If it were me I'd have ensured we saw a room. After all, we're not someone on the phone or internet who is just window shopping. We flew 8 hours and just spent a week in your resort...we're looking to see if the other rooms would be more to our liking for our next visit....definitely not window shopping.
The next thing I had an issue was is that this is a predominately European (French) crowd. Initially I thought it would be great. We'd get some cultural diversity, expand our horizons and all that. The sidewalks are about 8 feet wide with vegetation right at the edge, as in jungle that is quite thick. American/Canadians seem to have a natural tendancy to move to the right and temporarily get in single file if necessary as people approach. The French don't. Initially I thought maybe it was just that they drive on the left so we moved to the other side. Didn't make a difference. They approach you and take up the whole sidewalk as if you aren't there. At first it seems comical but I can say after a week of being run off the sidewalks it starts to grate, and I'm a very easy going guy. I can also say other North Americans noticed this and it bothered them. We spoke with many people while there and many of them mentioned this. We were never the first to mention it and almost everyone we talked to mentioned how irritatingly rude the French are. I didn't even know they are considered a rude people before going here. The food seems to cater quite a bit to the European crowd also. A lot of bread and pastas. Not a big deal as the food is all good and there is plenty just not the abundance of meats we might be used to. While I'm on the food, I really liked that they have a smaller lunch buffet down by the water. Made it handy if you wanted a quick bit then back to the beach. Usually you are humping it back and forth between the beach, your room, and food. Another small issue with the foreign crowd is the resort staff have to say everything in four languages (Spanish, French, Italian, English)....makes the shows and such 'interesting' as they have to keep saying the same thing over and over. I don't know French but, unless it is a very chatty language, that is what they cater to. They would speak French for a minute or so then the English translation would be a quick sentence or two. All the jokes and adlibs they add to the show are only done in French. Either that or the French think almost anything spoken in a show is hilarious. Also, although it isn't their fault, the staffs English is about as good as most English people trying to speak Spanish. Often they would be half way through the English version before you realized they had moved on to English. I've noticed the same thing with other resorts when it is just Spanish and English. It's just further complicated here with the two additional languages.
The beach-as I'm sure everyone mentions it is beautiful and very clean.
The food- as I mentioned before, very adequate but it did seem that they cater to a different diet. Desserts are great. The resturants were very good. The Mexican one is awesome and the staff were great. They don't do reservations which I would recommend. You stand in line for 30 minutes waiting to get in (although they offer free drinks right there). They take people in one at a time. If you aren't the first group in you can wait an hour and a half to get in. They've always done day/time reservations at others and I didn't really care for that. I have a new appreciation for it.
The staff-again, as previously mentioned the front desk staff seemed put off when we approached them. However, the beach and entertainment staff are the best I've seen. They really go out of their way to engage you in activities and talk to you. Several even remembered us from previous activities, events and discussions. Not a small task given the resort was overbooked.
The room-This was our biggest issue. It was very very very old and used. Envision something you would expect if you were staying in 'old Mexico' not a resort. Mold in the bathroom. The step over area going into the shower looked like a piece of concrete that was about 20 years old and has had heavy chains drug over it every day. Tile work looked like someone let their 10 year old caulk it with putty, as in they just pushed it in by hand and didn't 'finish' it. The room smelled horrible. Every time you walk in you got hit by it. Our room was about 80 feet from the open air entertainment stage of the resort next door. Every night, until about 10:30 we could hear the concert, show, movie...whatever was playing. I don't mean just hear it a little. It was very very very loud with massive bass. If you go there definitely don't stay on the side next to the Secrets resort. Almost every morning we got woken up at 6am by the French family next door with thier 4 kids. Again, not trying to bag on the French but I can tell you I don't let my kids scream and yell and carry on at 6am in any hotel. And it wasn't just the kids. It didn't help that the 'bathroom fan' is just a 6x6 inch grate between ajoining bathrooms. We finally realized this and kept the bathroom door closed. It helped some but we still found ourselves woken up at 6am on most days. As the room was our biggest issue this is why we wanted to see another.
Drinks-about the same as others we've stayed at. We've learned to stop at the duty free shop in the airport on our way in. Spend $10 and get a bottle of rum. Empty the water bottle in your room and fill it with rum. Then you add it to your drink to suit your taste. Saves you the hassle of trying to get a drink with any kick. Consider their drinks as mixers without the alcohol. We're not big drinkers but were surprised our first time to Mexico when we were drinking mixed drinks all day with zero effect (all that food doesn't help :) ).
So, all in all. We'd have felt alot better about recommending this if we could have seen one of the finished rooms. Although we don't spend a lot of time in our room the smell and condition of it really put us off every time we opened the door. The food was very adequate. The French were unbelievable rude. I'll stick with getting my 'cultural diversity' from the very freindly locals at other locations.

5 Thank 72Zorad
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This was the only resort we could getat the very last minute in the Riviera Maya, so read a few reviews and decided to take a risk and just go. Our first impression of the hotel was that the lounge/reception area was very pretty, and clean. We were greeted somewhat warmly by the front desk, and check in was fast. We were given a room in the 1500 building which is not renovated. The room was subpar. Beyond basic. It was old, and though spotlessly clean, it was a dissapointment. The furniture is stained with age, and the bathroom is tiny. The shower has no doors and so the floor got soaked everytime you showered. Anyhow, we weren't planning on staying in the room all day so we got over it. The rest of the hotel is nice enough. Some areas are really pretty, and some need a facelift. But as I said before, the hotel is very clean and the grounds are well maintained, they just need some renovations here and there to make it nicer. The positives of this hotel are first and foremost the beach. The beach is beautiful! White, fluffy sand that streches forever, the water is clear and warm, no rocks or seeweed on the bottom of the sea. It was fantastic. There is a guy that cleans the beach all they long, sifting through it for cigarrete butts, and other garbage that people leave behind. There is also a waiter that will come to you while you are on the beach and bring you anything you want from the bar. There are really nice white fish that venture pretty close shore and you can feed the tortillas while u snorkel and they will swarm you. The weather while we were there was ok. We had quite a few windy days, and it would be cloudy/sunny all day. but, afer 1 or 2pm max you had to leave the beach because it got too chilly. The food at the hotel is good. They have 3 a la cartes, for which you don't need reservations for any of them, which was good. We only ate at the grill and mexican one, both of which were good. The mexican was the best though. The buffet is good. They always had some type of fish, chicken and beef, some mexican food, veggies, lots of fruit and delicious desserts! There was a pasta station, and fresh made pizza both at lunch and dinner. At breakfast there was always an egg station, and fresh made bread. Plus lots of fruits and a variety of freshly made juices and milkshakes. We never went hungry, although we both had very specific diets to follow. (gluten/dairy free) The resort also has a Creperie by the beach and a Snack bar, both of which we never ate at. We were there for Valentine's day and the hotel set up a giant seafood station and lots of chocolate and mousse desserts for the occasion,they also roasted a turkey and made gave us champagne. The staff at the hotel are all very nice. Everybody greets you "hola" when u walk by them, and all are more than happy to help you, tip or no tip. Though tipping is appreciated :) The waitstaff at both the a la carte's and buffet were all great, attentive and super friendly. They remembered us and always treated us warmly and stopped to chat with us. The bartenders are also all very nice and friendly, as is the entertainment staff who work very hard all they too keep everyone happy. The shows at night are the same as every other hotel, which is to say they aren't great, but once agian, these people work very hard all day and are not profesionally trained dancers, so we were't expecting much besides the usual cheesy musicals. This hotel not only caters to Canadians or Americans, but to lots of Europeans and some South Americans as well. There is lots of diversity and it is nice to meet people from other cultures. We never had a problem with any of the other tourists and founfd everyone to be very pleasant. There is a free shuttle that takes u to Playa del Carmen, which is 30 min away. It makes to trips, 10am-5pm, and 7-11pm. Playa is fun, thoigh the prices are all extremely jacked up. You can bargain with them, and we left with some great silver jewlery and good tequila. We also ate at a restaurant called "Ajua Maya" which the Nolitours rep at the resort recomended. It was great. the food is delicious, the portions big, there is live music and the waitstaff will bring you your drinks on their head! All in all, it was a memorable evening. We also rented a car from Thrifty at Playa ($55 a day) bought a map, and drove all the way to Merida, stopping on the way to see Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Valladolid, Progresso and finally Merida. Mexico is a beautiful country with lots to see, and beautiful people. We felt safe the entire time and never encountered a problem or found ourselves ina shady situation. On the drive there we also stopped by a Cenote, which is an underground freshwater cave in which you can snorkel. Most attractions cost between ( $5 - $20 ) for the entrance and were all well worth it. All in all our vacation was lots of fun, and we would definetly return to Mexico, but we will try another hotel just to see what else is out there.

5 Thank Toronto1187
denver
Reviewed 26 February 2010

stayed here 2/4-2/11, and have already rebooked for nov. over th'giving. have been to MX 7 times; 5 times on east coast. had a privilege room which gets you tickets/preferred reservations at 3 ala carte rest. plus 3 tickets to the tapas rest. very good food overall. breakfast is good-made to order omlettes. rooms very clean as is the entire resort. we prefer smaller resorts & this place fit the bill to a "T"! mostly euro crowd which is fine with us! beach is topless & the sand never ever gets hot! top tier liquor; dos equis on tap. handicap friendly: trex-like walkway to the beach & to 2 reserved area's for handicapped folks. they also have 3 "beach wheelchairs". overall, an excellent place to unwind & have a great time!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank bill062
MA
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We just came back from staying at this hotel. The location of this property is excellent. the beach is picture perfect...a deep sandy beach as well as a long sandy bay. The turquoise water is everywhere and the bottom of the sea is all sand.

The hotel itself is very pretty and the grounds are so well taken care of. There are tropical birds everywhere (which could wake you up early..though) and flowers and palms. The service in the dining rooms are superb though the service behind the counters at reception for info is not always the most friendliest or helpful. The service people are working very hard around the hotel and are very friendly though.

The food is OK...Don't go with high expectations. My husband might have had a bit of an adverse reaction at the MExican restaurant. The rest of us took probiotics 3 weeks prior to the trip. I swear by them. Maybe next time he will join us by taking them. The kids didn't join the "kids club" There was no schedule posted of what they were doing and it did look rather lame....a lot of sand box time and just going to the beach. There are mosquitos that attack at dusk at certain parts of the resort (near tennis courts) so bring thin long pants if you play tennis in the late afternoon and bug spray. We were in the privilage room so we were very happy with it's condition. It is modern and clean. The other tourists can be rude at times so be aware. There are a lot of Europeon tourists that come with tours. Be aware that there is a lot of smoking going on but they have non smoking areas in the dining halls...not the beach though! Overall, I would recommend this place and go again ourselves. Last thing....take advantage of their free shuttle to PLaya but it runs at certain times.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,869 reviews

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!